4th place - Champions league qualification

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Leonmc0708 » Sun May 08, 2005 6:49 pm

A lot of rubbish has been posted on this and other forums, and a load of lazy journo's have gone on about it too, but I for one am under no illusion as to the 4th place quandry and the team who deserves it.

Congratulations to Everton, since September they have been in 4th place and they do deserve to get the Champions League qualification, even if we win the Champions League final by the Bospherous on the 25th May.

At the start of the season, 4th place got you a Champions League place, and we knew it as much as any other club in the top flight.

If we win against Milan, then we too will be deserving of another Champions league place for next season, if the current Champions are not allowed to defend their crown, then this will seriously undermine the whole competition, which will surely need a name change sooner rather than later if this rule is to continue.

UEFA's reluctance to make a decision is typical of their pass the buck attitude, when the real rules and regulations in football needs sorting. UEFA however are quick and decisive as soon as any english club is involved in any detremental episode, they are quick to hand out the punishment or advise of ban lengths. Ultimately however, the noises coming from FIFA could take the decision out of the un-willing hands of the UEFA big wigs.

The English FA, (surely short for Fu.ck All), have been disgraceful in their show of extreme double standards, the fact his web page, (Original address of FA notice on Champions League qualification), which actually threatened our own qualification for this seasons Champions League competition, has now been removed from the web says a lot about the FA and the suits that run it.

The page,  for those that missed it, contained a notice from the FA about Champions League qualification at the time of the Arsenal and Chelsea quarter finals in the Champions League last season. Basically it said that should Arsenal or Chelsea fail to get fourth place and go on to win the Champions League, then they would qualify in place of the fourth placed team last season. ie last season they would have taken Liverpools place! An unbeleivable about turn this season however is the fault of the FA, and in no way Evertons fault.

As far as next seasons Champions league is concerned, Everton will undoubtdly benefit from entry, although a sharp exit is surely on the cards (we hope) unless David Moyes works yet another miracle. Everton will undoubtdly attract some players greedy for Champions League success, but these kind of players will no doubt dump the club should they return to their previous form next season.

Every dog has its day, and this is Evertons. As a scouser, born and bred in the city with as many blue friends and family as I have red, I am happy to see the return of two clubs in the city threatening the dominance of "the big three". It can only be good for Liverpool.

Maybe what we need next season is no distractions as we push on for the holy grail of the League. Countless "European hangovers" this season have cost us around twenty to thirty points, and this would certainly be enough to see us breathing down the necks of the media darlings at the summit of the Premiership. An early exit from the UEFA cup might just be a help rather than a hinderance for Rafa's new look Liverpool.

So it is off to Istanbul in just over a couple of weeks, and a winnable game againsat Milan which could see us bring the trophy home for keeps this time. Got my Fez, and cant wait. If we win it and dont get into the Champions LEague next season, then that just add's to the myth of Liverpool Football Club, so I really do not mind which way it go's.

I am sure we will give the boys a good send off next season, and I am sure the players will relish the chance to thank the 12th man for our help this season in the European Cup. Then its off to Istanbul for the biggest game of the last decade.

Cant wait.......
JUSTICE FOR THE 96

Leonmc0708
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby mrcool2003 » Sun May 08, 2005 7:06 pm

totally agree with ya m8 there, gr8 post and you've hit it perfectly on the head

come on the reds!!!!
mrcool2003
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Santa » Sun May 08, 2005 7:06 pm

Credit where it is due...Everton have been more consistent in grinding out results than us, and the league table don't lie. So congratulation on qualification, although I don't really see the point of this pointless exercise, for surely they will get themselves humiliated in the qualifiers.

The FA consists of a bunch of two-headed snakes. Clearly the north-south devide still exist, at this inside the doors of the F.A They are now denying the authenticity of what have been posted last year, so that means whatever they say or posted on their official website might or might not be true...depending on which teams are involved. F8uckers all
Never try to teach a pig to sing...

...it only waste your time, and annoys the pig
Santa
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Sun May 08, 2005 7:13 pm

Leonmc0708 wrote:A lot of rubbish has been posted on this and other forums, and a load of lazy journo's have gone on about it too, but I for one am under no illusion as to the 4th place quandry and the team who deserves it.

Congratulations to Everton, since September they have been in 4th place and they do deserve to get the Champions League qualification, even if we win the Champions League final by the Bospherous on the 25th May.

At the start of the season, 4th place got you a Champions League place, and we knew it as much as any other club in the top flight.

If we win against Milan, then we too will be deserving of another Champions league place for next season, if the current Champions are not allowed to defend their crown, then this will seriously undermine the whole competition, which will surely need a name change sooner rather than later if this rule is to continue.

UEFA's reluctance to make a decision is typical of their pass the buck attitude, when the real rules and regulations in football needs sorting. UEFA however are quick and decisive as soon as any english club is involved in any detremental episode, they are quick to hand out the punishment or advise of ban lengths. Ultimately however, the noises coming from FIFA could take the decision out of the un-willing hands of the UEFA big wigs.

The English FA, (surely short for Fu.ck All), have been disgraceful in their show of extreme double standards, the fact his web page, (Original address of FA notice on Champions League qualification), which actually threatened our own qualification for this seasons Champions League competition, has now been removed from the web says a lot about the FA and the suits that run it.

The page,  for those that missed it, contained a notice from the FA about Champions League qualification at the time of the Arsenal and Chelsea quarter finals in the Champions League last season. Basically it said that should Arsenal or Chelsea fail to get fourth place and go on to win the Champions League, then they would qualify in place of the fourth placed team last season. ie last season they would have taken Liverpools place! An unbeleivable about turn this season however is the fault of the FA, and in no way Evertons fault.

As far as next seasons Champions league is concerned, Everton will undoubtdly benefit from entry, although a sharp exit is surely on the cards (we hope) unless David Moyes works yet another miracle. Everton will undoubtdly attract some players greedy for Champions League success, but these kind of players will no doubt dump the club should they return to their previous form next season.

Every dog has its day, and this is Evertons. As a scouser, born and bred in the city with as many blue friends and family as I have red, I am happy to see the return of two clubs in the city threatening the dominance of "the big three". It can only be good for Liverpool.

Maybe what we need next season is no distractions as we push on for the holy grail of the League. Countless "European hangovers" this season have cost us around twenty to thirty points, and this would certainly be enough to see us breathing down the necks of the media darlings at the summit of the Premiership. An early exit from the UEFA cup might just be a help rather than a hinderance for Rafa's new look Liverpool.

So it is off to Istanbul in just over a couple of weeks, and a winnable game againsat Milan which could see us bring the trophy home for keeps this time. Got my Fez, and cant wait. If we win it and dont get into the Champions LEague next season, then that just add's to the myth of Liverpool Football Club, so I really do not mind which way it go's.

I am sure we will give the boys a good send off next season, and I am sure the players will relish the chance to thank the 12th man for our help this season in the European Cup. Then its off to Istanbul for the biggest game of the last decade.

Cant wait.......

well said mate.

nobody is going to be kidded into believing that our league form has been anywhere near acceptable this season. what everton have produced this season (considering they lost their 2 best players and most pundits were tipping them to be relegated) has been remarkable. the rules are the rules and by that, everton deserve to be there next season. however to suggest that we shouldn't, even if we are defending champions, is ludicrous. how can next years winners claim to be the real champions of europe when we never lost the tag in the first place?

however, i heard some everton fans this morning claiming that "the balance of power has shifted" on merseyside. i'm sorry, but as well as they have done, this just isn't true. unless everton keep finishing above us in the league for the next few seasons and win some silverware this is not the case. for all we know, they could have a disastrous league campaign and get dumped out in the qualifiers.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby mrcool2003 » Sun May 08, 2005 7:19 pm

i think if we're being honest, they did deserve to finish 4th we slipped up too many times and i would say yes everton played well to finish 4th but we did give it to them on a plate but well deserved anyway

and someone correct me if im wrong but surely everton will be unseeded in the champions league qualifer in which case their match will be considerably tougher than say us?
mrcool2003
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Leonmc0708 » Sun May 08, 2005 7:32 pm

mrcool2003 wrote:i think if we're being honest, they did deserve to finish 4th we slipped up too many times and i would say yes everton played well to finish 4th but we did give it to them on a plate but well deserved anyway

and someone correct me if im wrong but surely everton will be unseeded in the champions league qualifer in which case their match will be considerably tougher than say us?

That is right, they will be unseeded, but in qualifying the hardest games are not too diificult. Although Newcastle may well beg to differ !

Its all our fault that Everton have no seeding anyway according to most bitters.

PS it looks like someone really liked my post My post ripped off and posted on RAWK :D
Last edited by Leonmc0708 on Sun May 08, 2005 7:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JUSTICE FOR THE 96

Leonmc0708
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Jan Cuelemans » Sun May 08, 2005 7:41 pm

I would just like to offer my congratulations to Everton on finishing forth in the premiership, I hope they do the city of Liverpool proud in the Champions League next season as we have this season.
The ofton underrated, Belgium Internalional Superstar !
Jan Cuelemans

Postby A.B. » Sun May 08, 2005 7:41 pm

I wonder if it's StMichael. :D
YNWA - DrummerPhil
Gone but not forgotten
R.I.P.
A.B.
LFC Elite Member

Postby Santa » Sun May 08, 2005 7:45 pm

A.B. wrote:I wonder if it's StMichael. :D

must be...playing both base ya?
Never try to teach a pig to sing...

...it only waste your time, and annoys the pig
Santa
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Sun May 08, 2005 7:46 pm

A.B. wrote:I wonder if it's StMichael. :D

you know you might get a sense of humour one day if you keep trying AB. :p
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby yckatbjywtbiastkamb » Sun May 08, 2005 7:51 pm

getting fourth might be a poison chalice for moyes. the fans expectation will grow and the crowd wont be so happy to see them defend all game and nick a 1-0 from a set peice. a lot of players will leave goodison on free`s in the summer but replacing them is another story. coz moyes will be allowed to spend a few bob he will be under pressure for his signings to perform and the critics will start to hovver if they dont, at the moment because he`s working on a shoestring budget he`s off limits to the tabloid hacks but once he`s spent a few bob he`s fair game, lastly when he`s had a few bob a lot of his signings aren`t exactly inspired - richard wright, james beattie and joeseph yobo all came with massive reputations and as yet haven`t lived up to them.
oh, congratulations everton and welcome to the world of expectation.  :D

You Can Shoot All The Blue Jays You Want To But Its A Sin To Kill A Mocking Bird
yckatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Super Member

Postby 2520years » Sun May 08, 2005 7:52 pm

Our league form hasn't meritted a UEFA cup place!  We've won 16 and lost 14.
However, I do think that if we win the Champions League UEFA should find a way of crowbarring us into the competition.
My earliest memory.
2520years

Postby A.B. » Sun May 08, 2005 7:54 pm

you know you might get a sense of humour one day if you keep trying AB.

I'm just stating what I know from facts. :D
YNWA - DrummerPhil
Gone but not forgotten
R.I.P.
A.B.
LFC Elite Member

Postby anfieldadorer » Sun May 08, 2005 8:20 pm

Leonmc0708 wrote:PS it looks like someone really liked my post My post ripped off and posted on RAWK :D

congratulation, leon!
:D
anfieldadorer
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby anfieldadorer » Sun May 08, 2005 8:26 pm

Former manager Gerard Houllier has waded into the debate on Liverpool's Champions League predicament by claiming UEFA should allow the holders of the competition to defend their title.

Support your favorite team with official Champions League gear from the Fox Soccer Shop!

As things stand Liverpool could beat AC Milan in the final in Istanbul later this month and not be in next season's Champions League as Merseyside rivals Everton are virtually guaranteed the all-important fourth place in the Barclays Premiership.

But Houllier, who left Anfield last year, believes European football's governing body should find a fifth spot for English clubs in the 2005-06 season if the Reds are crowned kings of the continent for a fifth time in their history.

"They should be allowed to defend the title," Houllier said. "By virtue of a fifth place.

"It is a massive achievement, reaching the final of that competition is always something special.

"It would be very hard for Everton (not to be in) because they have been in the top four all season and were second for a time."

Spanish midfielder Xabi Alonso, who missed last week's semi-final second-leg win over Chelsea, added on BBC Radio 5 Live: "The champion of a competition has to play the next year or it is not common sense."

Domestic champions Chelsea were knocked out by a controversial goal from Xabi Alonso's compatriot Luis Garcia, which was awarded despite television pictures proving inconclusive on whether the ball had crossed the line or not.

That incident in such a high-profile match has led to renewed calls for the introduction of technology into the sport.

Dr Paul Hawkins, whose Hawkeye technology is used in both tennis and cricket, told the Sportsweek programme, his system could be modified for football so that officials could be informed whether a ball had crossed the line within five seconds.

"We think we can provide a camera-based system which is accurate, fast, reliable, practical and cost effective, which are the five criteria FIFA - if they decide to go down this road - should be looking for a system to provide," Hawkins said.

Houllier for one would be in favour of such an introduction for potential 'goals' but would not recommend wholesale changes to the game.

"If we can find something simple which does not cost a lot then yes I would be in favour for goal-line decisions but our game should not be too rationalised, it is a game of emotion and passion."

Meanwhile, Houllier believes Liverpool's achievement will be enough to convince captain Steven Gerrard to stay at the club.

"I wish for the Liverpool fans that he stays and I think Stevie knows what he wants to do.

"I think he is very happy, he is captain of the team, so I am confident he will stay."
anfieldadorer
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion