4-4-2 - Proved effective in today's game?

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby metalhead » Sat Oct 15, 2005 10:26 pm

well we did play the 4-4-2 system! but i would like to ask did it prove effective? as we only scored one goal, or we are better off using the 4-5-1 system?

well i think if we give the 4-4-2 system some time the players will get a hang of it and as like rafa said he won't stay with the same system in all games but depending on some matches.
ImageImageImage
metalhead
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby RedRoots » Sat Oct 15, 2005 10:37 pm

4 4 2 is definately the way forward. 4 5 1 works for Chelsea because they have quality all over the pitch, we don't have the talent on the wings for it to work. I think rafa shouls just stick to 4 4 2 and get a system going as 4 5 1 clearly isn't good enough.
RedRoots

Postby metalhead » Sat Oct 15, 2005 10:39 pm

i think we are better off with the 4-5-1 system away from home because we can keep the ball better and close spaces for our opposition.
ImageImageImage
metalhead
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby RUSHIE#9 » Sat Oct 15, 2005 10:51 pm

During the Houllier years we never had a plan B we just had plan A and if that didn't work it resulted in the sound of MERDE be uttered on the bench and  a lot of head scratching.

Rafa has shown in his time at the club that he is tactically aware of what his team needs to be set out like and has adapted his tactics to suit, there is no better example than Istanbul. The fact that we played 4-4-2 today was probably a mixture of missing players and the understanding that against the opposition that we were up against was a team that we should have beaten and did, so I would say it was effective. I think in the coming months we will hopefully see the regular use of the 4-4-2 but when it is needed for a tough match 4-5-1 will be the order of the day. Sticking with one formation doesn't always mean success these days and flexability has to be paramount which is what I think Rafa is going for; eventually he is hoping to have the players that will allow him to play the 4-5-1 which will merge into 4-3-3 when we are on the attack but at the moment we just haven't got the personel.
RUSHIE#9
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby metalhead » Sat Oct 15, 2005 10:56 pm

RUSHIE#9 wrote:During the Houllier years we never had a plan B we just had plan A and if that didn't work it resulted in the sound of MERDE be uttered on the bench and  a lot of head scratching.

Rafa has shown in his time at the club that he is tactically aware of what his team needs to be set out like and has adapted his tactics to suit, there is no better example than Istanbul. The fact that we played 4-4-2 today was probably a mixture of missing players and the understanding that against the opposition that we were up against was a team that we should have beaten and did, so I would say it was effective. I think in the coming months we will hopefully see the regular use of the 4-4-2 but when it is needed for a tough match 4-5-1 will be the order of the day. Sticking with one formation doesn't always mean success these days and flexability has to be paramount which is what I think Rafa is going for; eventually he is hoping to have the players that will allow him to play the 4-5-1 which will merge into 4-3-3 when we are on the attack but at the moment we just haven't got the personel.

you bring up some really valid points Rushie! i agree that Rafa won't always stick to the 4-4-2 formation but he should stick with it more. but wouldn't rafa be more comfertable to use the 4-5-1 formation in away games? because clearly its a good formation to keep the ball.
ImageImageImage
metalhead
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby redsince2001 » Sun Oct 16, 2005 9:08 am

4=4=2 for me....its a much more attrative brand and creates more oppurtunites 4 our players 2 score
"we were a family club. There was no ‘them and us’ attitude, it was just ‘us’. "-Kenny Daglish
redsince2001
LFC Super Member

Postby darwisigila » Sun Oct 16, 2005 9:49 am

play like we defeated arsenal 1-0 ( mellor scored last year )..i don remember the system we played then,maybe 442...keep pressing when we don have the ball.
darwisigila

Postby anfieldadorer » Mon Oct 17, 2005 8:20 am

i support 4-4-2 more, but one single match doesn't prove
anfieldadorer
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby SouthCoastShankly » Mon Oct 17, 2005 8:39 am

I've been saying this from day one, 4-5-1 is too continental for the premiership. Or at least for the majority of it. Look how many chances we made on saturday, loads - yeah we're we can't hit a brick wall but its a start!

When we play 4-4-2 we look so much more comfortable, i hope rafa has seen the light
SouthCoastShankly
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Espionage » Mon Oct 17, 2005 9:02 am

I have supported Rafa in his decision of 4-5-1 but i do think that we need to concentrate on winngin games at the moment. I dont mind seeing it 4-4-2 half of the time but i think that the main reason for us playing so much 4-5-1 is because of Kewell and/or when the transfer opens the winger/s we will sign will give us the width to play 4-5-1 successfully.
Espionage
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby SouthCoastShankly » Mon Oct 17, 2005 11:10 am

4-5-1 offers nothing in the way of goals, especially in the premiership. The 4-5-1 formation is historically used for a cautious approach to a game. I don't like it, I can deal with it for tough away games but thats about it
SouthCoastShankly
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 115-1073096938 » Mon Oct 17, 2005 2:42 pm

That comment above is absoloute tosh lad.

Arsenal use 4-5-1, as do Chelsea.

Chelsea have the most goals in the league by a rediculous amount already. Arsenal were one of the most fluent sides in world football a year or two ago.

Its not the formation thats the problem. Its the tactics, movement and lack of certain attributes that make a certain system a problem.

It doesn't matter what system you use aslong as you play to your strengths.
115-1073096938

Postby wrighty (not mark!) » Mon Oct 17, 2005 2:46 pm

stu_the_red wrote:That comment above is absoloute tosh lad.

Arsenal use 4-5-1, as do Chelsea.

Chelsea have the most goals in the league by a rediculous amount already. Arsenal were one of the most fluent sides in world football a year or two ago.

Its not the formation thats the problem. Its the tactics, movement and lack of certain attributes that make a certain system a problem.

It doesn't matter what system you use aslong as you play to your strengths.

Wanna take the p*ss out of anyone else while your at it stu! ? :D
wrighty (not mark!)
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion