The Election - an alternative view

Please use this forum for general Non-Football related chat

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Sat Dec 28, 2019 10:22 pm

Lallana in Pyjamas » Sat Dec 28, 2019 6:22 pm wrote:
Labour are responsible for taking the country to an unwinnable war and they have thousands of military blood on their hands.

Would rather vote Lib Dem or Green than Labour or Tory

That was the New Labour 'moderates' and 'centrists' who led us into the Iraq war, with the help of the Tory party of course. The Iraq vote was actually the biggest back bench revolt in the 100+ year history of the Labour Party but Tory support got Blair over the line.
As for Dev's post, give me a break, the Tories and WWII? You mean like Baldwin, Chamberlain and Lord Halifax? As for all that baloney about 80 hours a week what utter rubbish, I've worked those types of hours and more myself and I grafted harder when I used to knock off at half 3 when I was on a price. No one grafts their balls off for 80 hours a week, it's physically impossible.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby Lallana in Pyjamas » Sat Dec 28, 2019 10:30 pm

ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Sat Dec 28, 2019 9:22 pm wrote:
Lallana in Pyjamas » Sat Dec 28, 2019 6:22 pm wrote:
Labour are responsible for taking the country to an unwinnable war and they have thousands of military blood on their hands.

Would rather vote Lib Dem or Green than Labour or Tory

That was the New Labour 'moderates' and 'centrists' who led us into the Iraq war, with the help of the Tory party of course. The Iraq vote was actually the biggest back bench revolt in the 100+ year history of the Labour Party but Tory support got Blair over the line.
As for Dev's post, give me a break, the Tories and WWII? You mean like Baldwin, Chamberlain and Lord Halifax? As for all that baloney about 80 hours a week what utter rubbish, I've worked those types of hours and more myself and I grafted harder when I used to knock off at half 3 when I was on a price. No one grafts their balls off for 80 hours a week, it's physically impossible.

It was the Labour Party - call it new or whatever but it was still the Labour Party and I lost colleagues in that war so they won’t get my vote.
Lallana in Pyjamas
LFC Super Member

Postby Reg » Sun Dec 29, 2019 5:23 am

Labour is on course to become the third party and its future is 'not at all promising', warns Andy Burnham

28 DECEMBER 2019 • 4:56PM  Sunday Telegraph

Labour risks becoming a “third party” in the Commons if it fails to drop Jeremy Corbyn’s brand of politics before the next election, two former ministers have warned.

Andy Burnham, the mayor of Greater Manchester and former health secretary, said Labour was on course to become a “shrunken political party” or “red version of the Liberal Democrats” unless it returned to “credible” policies that appeal to working class voters.

Frank Field, the former welfare minister, separately claimed that if Mr Corbyn is succeeded by another hard-left leader, "Labour’s representation in Parliament will collapse."

Both centrist former Labour ministers were speaking in interviews on LBC with Liam Halligan, the Telegraph columnist, due to be broadcast on Sunday morning.

Mr Burnham, who is said to be backing the backbencher Lisa Nandy as a potential successor to Mr Corbyn, said he had been “heartbroken” to see the Greater Manchester seat that he represented for 16 years vote for a Conservative candidate for the first time since 1922.

But he added: “You could see it coming. This is the London-centric nature of the Labour party, that’s been going on for a long time. In recent years, Labour has been speaking to the liberal, university educated left, not it’s working class side. I’m afraid this result reflects that.”

Mr Burnham, 49, who stood for his party’s leadership while still an MP in 2015, continued: “There are now no guarantees for Labour. We had a radical manifesto that simply wasn’t credible. We face ending up as a shrunken political party, a red version of the Liberal Democrats or the Green Party. Unless Labour faces up to this right now, the future for my party is not at all promising.

Mr Field, 77, resigned the Labour whip in August 2018, describing a "culture of intolerance, nastiness and intimidation" in parts of the party. He lost the seat of Birkenhead, Merseyside, which he had represented for 40 years, after Labour stood a candidate against him.

Mr Field, who served as a minister under Tony Blair, told LBC: "Could Labour be out for a decade? It’s actually more serious than that. "If we have a hard-left leader, and a rerun of the election we just had, I think Labour’s representation in Parliament will collapse."

He added: "The danger for Labour is if they insult the voters by doing a re-run, the millions of voters who switched away from the party will be followed by millions more.  "In the early 1920s, it looked as if the Liberal party was going to revive as the second party in our three-party system, but it collapsed almost to nothing."And the same retribution could be inflicted on Labour candidates if we don’t have a leadership team that Labour candidates are proud of at the election." Mr Field warned that "once you look as though you are the third party, once the electorate takes against you’ve had it."

Rebecca Long-Bailey, 40, the shadow business secretary, who is seen as a frontrunner to take over from the current leader, is described as "continuity Corbyn" because of her support for many of Mr Corbyn's policies, and the backing she has received from figures such as John McDonnell, the shadow chancellor.

The interviews will air on LBC on Sunday morning.
++

Lallana, Labour lost the election because they had gone off track so badly they lost touch with reality and their voters.
It's critical they restructure the leadership, align new policies with what the voters want. You don't thrust policies onto voters, you provide the policies that will give the voters their expected outcome. Labour have to stop playing 1980's student politics and come into the real world or as the above article from today's Sunday Telegraph shows, the party may disintegrate further. If they become the third party then they'll become even more extreme.
Until they demonstrate their worthiness, you shouldn't blindly support them, politics is not football, the ramifications are far too important for the UK. Maybe you should start looking into the new second party.
Reg
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Previous

Return to General Chat Forum