Uk election - Nonsense

Please use this forum for general Non-Football related chat

Postby Big Niall » Thu Jun 23, 2005 1:42 pm

Of course, vote for who want to vote, but I think its nonsense that the government can win the support of only 36% of the electorate and still have a big majority. nearly two thirds of those who voted wanted the party out. How is that democracy? added to the fact that before the election it was stated by all the experts that the tories needed about 5% more than Labour to win.

This thread isn't about which party to vote for etc but the electoral system is rubbish. How can anybody not think it is time for proportional representation. PR would mean that Labour would have won ABOUT 36% of the seats in parliment and if they were to form a government then they'd have to deal with one of the other two parties and make concessions to them etc.

Another form of PR would be if it was still done on a seat by seat basis so that if lib dems got 20% in an area then their canditate would be eliminated. If nobody got over 50% then the lim dem votes would be checked again for their supporters second preference votes, i.e. would this particular lib dem supporter prefer a labour or conservative member if their guy loses. It is MUCH more democratic and would mean that your vote would not be wasted if you voted for a small party. I mean Labour were telling lib dem supporters not to vote for the lib dems as it would leave tories in - how is that democracy (don't vote for who actually want etc).

Surely its time for PR now!
Big Niall
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Judge » Thu Jun 23, 2005 1:45 pm

Niall, that argument has been raging since we spupidly gave women the vote and let them drive cars :D  :laugh:

lets see what happens here now.........wuhahahahahaha :p
Judge
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Lando_Griffin » Thu Jun 23, 2005 3:27 pm

I think thats a superlative suggestion, BN. Fooking Labour would be knackered!!!!!

Rafa Benitez - An unfinished Legend.
Lando_Griffin
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Lando_Griffin » Thu Jun 23, 2005 3:28 pm

And, Judge, I'm dissappointed in you!!!!! ???
We all know women are objects!!!!! :p :D :p

Rafa Benitez - An unfinished Legend.
Lando_Griffin
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Judge » Thu Jun 23, 2005 3:44 pm

lol :D
Judge
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Return to General Chat Forum