Pakistan earthquake - Does anyone give a ******

Please use this forum for general Non-Football related chat

Postby JBG » Wed Oct 12, 2005 4:23 pm

LFC #1 wrote:
JBG wrote:4. China will eventually try to reclaim Tawain. Tawain is after all, Chinese, having been taken from the Chinese by Japan in the 19th century and then occupied by the defeated Nationalist army after 1949. Cold War geopolitics saw the US extend its nuclear umbrella to cover Tawain. The Chinese are chomping at the bit to invade the island, and as soon as they see a weakness in America, they will. Nothing is more certain, its simply a matter of time.

Taiwan is a little worrying.

As you say China wants Taiwan reclaimed, because of the "One China Policy". However the Taiwanese president has hinted he would actually like to see Taiwan become independent from China. If this were to happen China would invade it, and this is where the problem is as the US has said an attack on Taiwan woudl be regarded as an attack on the Us, and China and the US would be at war.

I doubt it'll happen though ,as their is so much trade and investment between China and the US now it wouldn't help their economies at all.

Yes, there is a lot of mutual interest between the US and China, but I think the Chinese might risk war over Taiwan when the time is right. I don't think the US would risk a large scale war over Tawain, although they would probably defend the island.

China is currently overhauling its aging armed forces, particularly its airforces and this is largely seen as a build up for an invasion of Tawain. However, my own feeling is that China will wait for a moment of weakness among Western democracies before invading: similar to Hitler's invasion of Czechoslovakia.
Jolly Bob Grumbine.
JBG
LFC Elite Member

Postby zarababe » Sat Nov 05, 2005 12:26 pm

andy_g wrote:on a personal level i give a hell of a shit. i think its absolutely tragic that over 30,000 people have died including thousands and thousands of kids and that once again its mostly the poor and disadvantaged that rae suffering.

This has had personal conotations for me, Kashmir was beautiful and whilst the majority of people are not wealthy, they were able to get by through subsistance farming etc and lead a dignified life. For those with no transferrable skills, ie non professionals; doctor, teachers etc, life will truly be very difficult.

It's not as if you can bulldoze the area and start again.The mountainous area and the severe winters, which are truly shattering, your bones litterally go cold, make re-populating the area nigh impossible. Geologists are reporting that the ground will take at least 3 decades to settle, that means nothing can be rebuilt, while the foundations are unstable.

Because this earthquake was near the surface, its impact was huge. With over 3 million survivors left shelterless, the task facing the Pakistani government is enormous. More people may die as a consequence of the winter.

So.. Yes there have been many natural disaters in the last year, some will have affected people on a personal level, others on an humanitarian level and others.. well if you don't care about humanity or people then hey it's another day, someone elses headache and  'when's lunch time' .
THE BRENDAN REVOLUTION IS UPON US !

KING KENNY.. Always LEGEND !

RAFA.. MADE THE PEOPLE HAPPY !

Miss YOU Phil-Drummer - RIP YNWA

zarababe
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby drummerphil » Sat Nov 05, 2005 2:13 pm

Totally agree Zara i have a good friend from Kashmir who found out his brother died.I started this thread purely to see if disaster zones which are indirectly linked with Terrorism,do people care as much as lets say new orleans or thailand, Sri lanka etc.......I live very close to a huge asian community but i,ve heard many white English say things like good ridence which obviously i dont condone.......hope your ok btw
my reason for living

Bob Paisley : "Still we've had the hard times too - one year we finished second."

drummerphil
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby zarababe » Sat Nov 05, 2005 5:22 pm

.. as I have heard many say that it's about time America got what it deserved, re: the hurricanes.. I suppose it's all 'horses for courses stuff'. On a basic humanitarian level any natural disaster that kills, creates homelessness and leads to so much destruction is a test of resolve and compassion. 

There are the famines in Africa, the cynclones and earthquakes in Asia, the hurricanes in the Carribbean and America, the volcanoes etc etc.. the power of nature is there to remind us all that whatever we believe in or not..this awesome power brings humankind literally to its knees.

For me this earthquake has had devastating consequences on a purely personal level.. but then there is so much now that happens, that you can often only really feel the affects of such things if you have personal involvement..
THE BRENDAN REVOLUTION IS UPON US !

KING KENNY.. Always LEGEND !

RAFA.. MADE THE PEOPLE HAPPY !

Miss YOU Phil-Drummer - RIP YNWA

zarababe
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby drummerphil » Sat Nov 05, 2005 5:48 pm

I saw a report today actually that said the aid and finance given to the region was very small in comparison to the tsunami appeal........maybe its just a case with all the disasters that have happened recently and include in that things like live8 etc.......that people are saying "i,ve contributed to so many my circumstances unable me to do again "
my reason for living

Bob Paisley : "Still we've had the hard times too - one year we finished second."

drummerphil
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby woof woof ! » Sun Nov 06, 2005 10:47 am

JBG wrote:I don't think the US would risk a large scale war over Tawain,

Espescially as Nike shoe production has now moved to other countries throughout SE Asia .

:D

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby Judge » Tue Nov 08, 2005 9:13 am

:D
Judge
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Previous

Return to General Chat Forum