Pakistan earthquake - Does anyone give a ******

Please use this forum for general Non-Football related chat

Postby wrighty (not mark!) » Tue Oct 11, 2005 4:29 pm

Judge wrote:maybe the USA will declare war on China for overuse of fossil fuels, much as Japan declared war on the USA for them not having enough fossil fuel to give to japan (oil)??!!

fuel drives war, especially in the modern era

Sounds like 'fallout' the game for the pc
wrighty (not mark!)
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JBG » Tue Oct 11, 2005 4:37 pm

BarryBelfast wrote:
woof woof ! wrote:
wrighty (not mark!) wrote:I'm very concerned about korea and China, I'll tell you that. Diplomacy must be used at it's maximum level to prevent any potential incidents occuring most definately.

I'm also rather worried that Nuclear power is on the agenda. Could be more trouble than it's worth.

Wouldn't be too concerned about China Wrighty . They are the next economic superpower and have as much if not more than even the west  invested in seeing a stable world in which they can flex their new found economic muscle .
Much more concern should be paid to the spiders who run Iran and it's nuke program and also (as you mentioned ) Korea , China may be able to keep Korea on a leash and may even in the longer term bring about some positive changes within that benighted place.(I'm assuming were talking about North Korea ) .

Iran , it nuclear program and it's terror links is the the armegeddon I hope doesn't happen in my lifetime , but if islamic nutters are ever gonna lay their hands on a nuke it'll have "made in Iran" written all over it .

All his nuke talk scares the shi.t outta me!!
Surely if any of thes countries wanted to use these bombs they'd target the USA 1st.Im not saying thats ok its just more likely in my eyes!
But are there not safety measures in place?
I mean if a nuke was launched at us would it not be detected miles away and shot down???
Or if a plane tried to approach us would it not be shot down before we could come to any harm??
I always tell myself yes!!

Can remember seeing a movie years ago called 'threads' and ever since then ive been petrified at the thought of it ever happeninng....
I think as said above its the Iranians should be most concerned about and the fact that Blair and Bush have chose not to invade by now says that its too late...meaning they have nuclear warheads already and are not afraid to use them!!

Its not really technically possible to shoot down missiles, not at the moment, anyway.

Ballistic missiles are called such because they travel at ballistic speeds. Its like trying to shoot a bullet with a bullet. The hugely expensive "Son of Star Wars" missile defence system is still only in its infancy, and despite multi billions (trillions if you go back to the 1970s) it is still years, possible decades, from coming to fruition.

But what of the Patriot missiles, I hear some people say? The Patriot missile uses a system very similar to flak used in World War Two. A shell is shot into the air which explodes into explosive droplets, causing an explosive field. The hope is that the missile will pass through the explosive field and be destroyed or damaged enough to miss its target. The Germans used flak in the second world war against bombers that travelled at 250mph, and with mixed to poor results.

Modern missiles travel at 30 or 40 times the speed of a bomber. The Patriot can home in on the general area of where the missile is coming, with its radar tracking system estimating a field in the sky where the missile is expected to pass. The Patriot then fires a missile in that direction, causing a large dispersal of explosions in the general area, hoping that it will destroy the warhead.

However, even if the Patriots tracking computer is milliseconds out, all it does is cause some fancy explosions in the sky, with the missile completely untouched.

The Patriot is one of the most useless weapons ever devised. The Americans told us of all the Skuds shot down over Israel in the first Gulf War. There is no basis in fact for this at all. It appears that it was simply American propaganda. A new study has shown that no Iraqi Skuds were destroyed by Patriots, they just crash landed because of poor guidance systems.
Jolly Bob Grumbine.
JBG
LFC Elite Member

Postby Woollyback » Tue Oct 11, 2005 4:47 pm

i think we should invade germany immediately and crush them like helpless grapes, "just in case" :D

but what all this has to do with pakistani earthquakes is quite frankly beyond me, despite my earth-shattering intelligence  :eyebrow
b*ll*c*ks and s*i*e
Woollyback
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Judge » Tue Oct 11, 2005 4:51 pm

JBG, it is technically possible to shoot down ballistic missiles, but it would require lots of missiles to do it. what i mean is that a ballistic missile produces a significant electro-magnetic field that is detectable from a great distance by electronic equipment on the ground.

This is automatically fed into the missile, and it is launced with the ballistic missiles specific signature, thus bringing it down before it has chance to arm itself.

easy :D
Judge
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JBG » Tue Oct 11, 2005 4:51 pm

Woollyback wrote:but what all this has to do with pakistani earthquakes is quite frankly beyond me, despite my earth-shattering intelligence  :eyebrow

So it was you that was responsible for this latest cataclism!

What did you use on them? Your brain ray?
Jolly Bob Grumbine.
JBG
LFC Elite Member

Postby JBG » Tue Oct 11, 2005 4:57 pm

Judge wrote:JBG, it is technically possible to shoot down ballistic missiles, but it would require lots of missiles to do it. what i mean is that a ballistic missile produces a significant electro-magnetic field that is detectable from a great distance by electronic equipment on the ground.

This is automatically fed into the missile, and it is launced with the ballistic missiles specific signature, thus bringing it down before it has chance to arm itself.

easy :D

No, its not technically possible at the moment, I think you mean scientifically possible.

Any such system would have to be fool proof. Its not like putting up barage ballons and flooding the London skies with Spitfires. You might bring down a fair few Gerry bombers and make a lot of them fly off course, and even if a few bombs hit their target and killed a few people, you could say, "it could have been worse".

With a nuclear armed missile there is no "it could have been worse". The technology being developed, when workable, will probably only be able to initially shoot down crude "Third World" missiles. A MIRV armed weapon, with multiple warheads launched in the upper atmosphere would be a different question althogeter.
Jolly Bob Grumbine.
JBG
LFC Elite Member

Postby Judge » Tue Oct 11, 2005 5:12 pm

you will find that testing is going on at the moment. look in some of those bizarre mags that are on the market at the moment. They are usually correct.

the upper atmosphere missiles require star wars stuff. We already know the USA have tested such equipment.

Do you remember when the US admitted they had developed the Neutron bomb. Those are the ones which kill everyone, but leave the buildings an infrastructure standing!! that is scary
Judge
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Pablo_Escobar » Tue Oct 11, 2005 5:13 pm

wrighty (not mark!) wrote:
Judge wrote:maybe the USA will declare war on China for overuse of fossil fuels, much as Japan declared war on the USA for them not having enough fossil fuel to give to japan (oil)??!!

fuel drives war, especially in the modern era

Sounds like 'fallout' the game for the pc

I love "Fallout" :D
Pablo_Escobar
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Woollyback » Tue Oct 11, 2005 5:15 pm

JBG wrote:
Woollyback wrote:but what all this has to do with pakistani earthquakes is quite frankly beyond me, despite my earth-shattering intelligence  :eyebrow

no i just clicked my fingers and the stampede of ho's coming my way cuased violent tremours measuring 7.6 on the richter scale
b*ll*c*ks and s*i*e
Woollyback
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Judge » Tue Oct 11, 2005 5:16 pm

Woollyback wrote:
JBG wrote:

no i just clicked my fingers and the stampede of ho's coming my way cuased violent tremours measuring 7.6 on the richter scale

they must have been fat fuckers woolly  :D
Judge
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Woollyback » Tue Oct 11, 2005 5:19 pm

Judge wrote:
Woollyback wrote:
JBG wrote:

they must have been fat fuckers woolly  :D

yeah there was only 3 of them, friends of LeeJ apparently :D
b*ll*c*ks and s*i*e
Woollyback
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Judge » Tue Oct 11, 2005 5:23 pm

aye, lee j :D  lmfao :D

i bet they were called Trace, Sam (ala Viz), and Jade (ala goody) :laugh:
Judge
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby looprevil » Wed Oct 12, 2005 6:17 am

What I'm amazed about is the small amount of media coverage the disaster is getting.  The tsunami, katrina, london bombings all got tons of coverage but this major quake happens kills 30000 and gets almost no coverage.  I wonder how much coverage it would get if it happened in one of the 'richer' countries.
looprevil
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Judge » Wed Oct 12, 2005 7:56 am

I have contributed financially to the disaster relief fund to help those poor folk in Pakistan
Judge
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby LFC #1 » Wed Oct 12, 2005 2:56 pm

JBG wrote:4. China will eventually try to reclaim Tawain. Tawain is after all, Chinese, having been taken from the Chinese by Japan in the 19th century and then occupied by the defeated Nationalist army after 1949. Cold War geopolitics saw the US extend its nuclear umbrella to cover Tawain. The Chinese are chomping at the bit to invade the island, and as soon as they see a weakness in America, they will. Nothing is more certain, its simply a matter of time.

Taiwan is a little worrying.

As you say China wants Taiwan reclaimed, because of the "One China Policy". However the Taiwanese president has hinted he would actually like to see Taiwan become independent from China. If this were to happen China would invade it, and this is where the problem is as the US has said an attack on Taiwan woudl be regarded as an attack on the Us, and China and the US would be at war.

I doubt it'll happen though ,as their is so much trade and investment between China and the US now it wouldn't help their economies at all.
LFC #1
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to General Chat Forum