Earthquake off Japan - Tsunami warnings across pacific

Please use this forum for general Non-Football related chat

Postby fivecups » Fri Mar 11, 2011 9:59 pm

Massive destruction. I think the full extent of the damage and the loss of life will only become apparent over the next few days and weeks. :( :(
fivecups
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Greavesie » Sat Mar 12, 2011 12:35 am

is it too early...? ???
All round the fields of Anfield Road
Where once we watched the King Kenny play (and could he play!)
Stevie Heighway on the wing
We had dreams and songs to sing
'Bout the glory, round the Fields of Anfield Road

JFT 96 - Gone but never forgotten
YNWA 15/4/1989
God Bless You All
Greavesie

Postby tubby » Sat Mar 12, 2011 12:49 am

I think the worst is over. Fortunately Japan is well equipped to deal with earthquakes, most buildings in cities are designed specifically to withstand such events, compare that with Haiti. Unfortunately you can't really predict one and dealing with a tsunami is even worse.

TBH Something like this was always on the cards, they are placed on a fault line after all. Terrible though still. What will be a even bigger disaster is if any nuclear plants leak as a result.
Last edited by tubby on Sat Mar 12, 2011 12:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
My new blog for my upcoming holiday.

http://kunstevie.wordpress.com/
tubby
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby RedSi35 » Sat Mar 12, 2011 7:15 am

Very sad, but mother nature is fantastic to watch sometimes, the tsunami was awesome and looked like straight out of some apocalyptic hollywood blockbuster.

Watching some of that footage where cars/vans suddey realised what was coming was scary, they were simply just washed away. Give credit to the japs though, most of them were just getting on with their daily routines while the buildings were shaking to peices.

Suppose they only panic when godzilla turns up
RedSi35
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby neil » Sat Mar 12, 2011 10:35 am

holy shit theres been an explosion at a nuclaer factory
video :(
neil
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby woof woof ! » Sat Mar 12, 2011 10:48 am

RedSi35 wrote:Give credit to the japs though, most of them were just getting on with their daily routines while the buildings were shaking to peices.

Suppose they only panic when godzilla turns up

:D

More seriously. I never knew Japan had so many nuclear power plants, there's apparently over 50 of them !

As evidenced by the explosion at the Fukushima plant, in a country that is subject to regular natural disasters surely so many nuclear plants are another disaster just waiting to happen.

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby The Good Yank » Sat Mar 12, 2011 11:04 am

Oh :censored:.  This is just not going to get better anytime soon.
s@int - 13 December 2009

I won't celebrate Rafa going........ but I will be over the moon if Dalglish comes in. League within 2 years if he gets the job, AND YOU CAN QUOTE ME ON THAT.
The Good Yank
LFC Super Member

Postby laza » Sat Mar 12, 2011 11:24 am

neil wrote:holy shit theres been an explosion at a nuclaer factory

That's a big DOH

Not sounding good at all ,like Woof Im amazed at amount of reactors they have in Japan
Forever Red in this life and the next
laza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby SouthCoastShankly » Sat Mar 12, 2011 9:05 pm

laza wrote:
neil wrote:holy shit theres been an explosion at a nuclaer factory

That's a big DOH

Not sounding good at all ,like Woof Im amazed at amount of reactors they have in Japan

The explosion isnt from the reactor core, all modern day reactors are designed so they can't explode. What actually happens in a worst case scenario is the nuclear reaction generates so much heat it melts the human concrete shield surrounding the vessel and melts through thx floor.

The biggest risk here is fire, which would send nuclear material into the atmosphere.
Last edited by SouthCoastShankly on Sat Mar 12, 2011 9:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SouthCoastShankly
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby fivecups » Sun Mar 13, 2011 2:17 pm

Some amazing footage coming out of the Tsunami. Contrasting it to the Boxing Day Tsunami, there doesn't seem to be as many people in the videos of the event, or bodies in pictures of the aftermath.

I was wondering why this is? Is it that the Japanese people know to get to high ground after an earthquake or have a lot of the bodies been pulled way out to sea and are going to gradually wash up over the next few days?

Shocking tragedy. Some of the photos from Google are showing towns which have literally been razed to the ground.
fivecups
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby metalhead » Sun Mar 13, 2011 2:36 pm

fivecups wrote:I was wondering why this is? Is it that the Japanese people know to get to high ground after an earthquake or have a lot of the bodies been pulled way out to sea and are going to gradually wash up over the next few days?

estimated 10,000 casualties from the tsunami, maybe the Japanese government restricted the media from showing such horrible news?
ImageImageImage
metalhead
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby tubby » Sun Mar 13, 2011 4:37 pm

Nah I doubt it. They are used to earthquakes there and are generally well organized when it comes to these sorts of situations. I think although it was a bigger earthquake than the one in Sumatra the placement of where it originated meant a less devastating tsunami.
My new blog for my upcoming holiday.

http://kunstevie.wordpress.com/
tubby
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby metalhead » Sun Mar 13, 2011 5:42 pm

The earthquake isn't the problem bav, its the tsunami which caused massive damage and casualties, no one can stop a wave that is going the speed of a jumbo jet.

Plus the Sumatra earthquake was 9.0 on the Richter scale, and the waves were higher but slower than the one the Japanese got.
Last edited by metalhead on Sun Mar 13, 2011 5:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImageImage
metalhead
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby burjennio » Sun Mar 13, 2011 5:51 pm

The Indian ocean earthquake of 2004 was over a 9.0 magnitude, it was many times bigger than the Pacific one of Friday (in fact it was the second or third biggest earthquake ever recorded by seismologists) - the reasons a lot less people were killed was a combination of Japans preparation and experience of such events, the tsunami dissipating alot sooner than in 2004 due to less overall energy being released during the quake and finally but most crucially the Indian ocean tsumani hitting less developed countires, most of which had never dealt with such an event in recent times and subsequently a lack of warning was spread across the continent sadly meaning that a large number of areas were unevacuated when the waves hit.
burjennio

Postby fivecups » Sun Mar 13, 2011 11:59 pm

I heard on the news today that their Tsunami warning triggered 1 minute after the earthquake. Superb. I wonder how many lives that saved??
fivecups
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to General Chat Forum