Movies - What have you been watching ?

Please use this forum for general Non-Football related chat

Postby laza » Wed Jul 03, 2013 12:20 pm

Well Woof i did get a job with Newkit NSA but that totally unrelated to what has happened to you  :D

Yeah im hoping there is a decent story to go with IMAX FX , at the very least its got to be better then Enemy at the Gates
Forever Red in this life and the next
laza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby woof woof ! » Wed Jul 03, 2013 1:16 pm

at the very least its got to be better then Enemy at the Gates

:D

It wasn't great but It had its moments.

The German movie "Stalingrad" (made in 1993) was worth a watch although it lacked the scale that I'm hoping the new Russian film may provide.

I think the whole of the German 1993 movie with English subs is available on YouTube.

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby laza » Wed Jul 03, 2013 2:00 pm

woof woof ! » Wed Jul 03, 2013 7:16 pm wrote:
at the very least its got to be better then Enemy at the Gates

:D

It wasn't great but It had its moments.

The German movie "Stalingrad" (made in 1993) was worth a watch although it lacked the scale that I'm hoping the new Russian film may provide.

I think the whole of the German 1993 movie with English subs is available on YouTube.

Stalingrad 1993 was ok but I was just expecting better.

Still have a soft spot for 70s Cross of Iron, its a shame Sam Peckinpah isnt around with todays budget and FX.
laza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby woof woof ! » Sun Sep 15, 2013 2:32 pm

Still scratching around looking for a really good movie, seen loads in the last few months but none that I'd rush to recommend  :(

However there's a few trailers I've watched recently and I'm hopefull the actual movie will live up to them as they all look pretty good.

clicky to watch

1 matt damon in  Elysium good futuristic action

2 Bullock/Clooney in Gravity spectacular cgi Sci Fi

3 Mark Wahlberg in Lone Survivor action in Afghanistan (although I don't remember Afghanistan ever looking that green  :D )

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby RED BEERGOGGLES » Sun Sep 15, 2013 7:56 pm

woof woof ! » Sun Sep 15, 2013 1:32 pm wrote:Still scratching around looking for a really good movie, seen loads in the last few months but none that I'd rush to recommend  :(

However there's a few trailers I've watched recently and I'm hopefull the actual movie will live up to them as they all look pretty good.

clicky to watch

3 Mark Wahlberg in Lone Survivor action in Afghanistan (although I don't remember Afghanistan ever looking that green  :D )

Here's one you will enjoy mate .....Min Sik Choi on top form once more

Oh and another one ,now before you lambaste me for suggesting this film, give it a look ,I got it on the request of my Daughter who has read all the
books . It sort of slipped under the radar where Hollywood is concerned ,but its got the feel of a cult film in much the same respect as Donnie Darko .
Anyway its worth a look just for a blimp of Stormy  :;):

RED BEERGOGGLES
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby laza » Mon Sep 16, 2013 2:49 am

Well im looking forward albeit without much expectation, that new Riddick movie will return to its origns of Pitch Black, and not end up being a steamy mess that was Chronicles
laza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Kenny Kan » Mon Sep 16, 2013 4:06 am

woof woof ! » Sun Sep 15, 2013 1:32 pm wrote:Still scratching around looking for a really good movie, seen loads in the last few months but none that I'd rush to recommend  :(

clicky to watch

I know you're a fussy a.rse when it comes to movies Woof, but I've got two I've just recently seen that I'd recommend if you haven't seen them.

Frozen Ground. Nick Cage & Cusack. (crime/thriller type)
Pain and gain. Mark Wahlberg. (insane)

Both movies are based on true stories (I couldn't believe the second one was, as the stupidity of it was funny as f.uck)

Both worth a watch.

On the look out for a decent copy of 'Runner Runner' that looks alright too.

I saw 'man of tai chi', wasn't fussed about that. I also got round to watching 'The Great Gatsby' that wasn't my cuppa tea either. I think De Caprio is a good actor and his new film is 'The Wolf of Wall St', I'll have a butchers at that when it comes out.
Champions of England 2020.

YNWA
Kenny Kan
LFC Super Member

Postby woof woof ! » Mon Sep 16, 2013 8:33 am

Cheers KK, I'd forgotten about Pain and Gain (which I saw just a few weeks ago) you're right it is a good laugh.

Thanx for the heads up on Frozen Ground, just checked out the trailer, looks good .

Will probably give Man of Tai Chi a miss. I love martial arts movies but this one's starring that plank Keanu Reeves, that in itself says it all for me.  :D

@Red
Almost missed your post, cheers mate New World looks right up my street and Odd Thomas looks odd enough to make me want to see the rest of movie .

btw can you pm a link or site details for New World torrent

Cheers  :buttrock

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby Kenny Kan » Mon Sep 16, 2013 10:17 am

Just remembered another one I watched the other day, another true story, not bad, worth a watch: Iceman.
Champions of England 2020.

YNWA
Kenny Kan
LFC Super Member

Postby maguskwt » Mon Sep 16, 2013 1:08 pm

clicky to watch

I've watched Elysium... one of the worst movies I've ever seen. And I'm a fan of Damon... pretty disappointed with him. It's right up there with Skyline for the suckiest sci fi movies ever...
maguskwt
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby woof woof ! » Mon Sep 16, 2013 1:36 pm

maguskwt » Mon Sep 16, 2013 1:08 pm wrote:
I've watched Elysium... one of the worst movies I've ever seen. And I'm a fan of Damon... pretty disappointed with him. It's right up there with Skyline for the suckiest sci fi movies ever...

Damn  :(  yer just can't trust trailers  :down:

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby red till i die!! » Tue Sep 17, 2013 2:10 pm

woof woof ! » Mon Sep 16, 2013 1:36 pm wrote:
maguskwt » Mon Sep 16, 2013 1:08 pm wrote:

Damn  :(  yer just can't trust trailers  :down:

yeah disapointing if true. that was one i was really looking forward to  :down:
red till i die!!
LFC Super Member

Postby woof woof ! » Fri Oct 18, 2013 12:06 pm

Russian made film Stalingrad released but so far I've been unable to find UK release date.

Stalingrad is a drama set in 1942, during one of the most important battles of World War II, which stopped the progress of Nazi forces and turned the tide of war in favor of the Allies. The Soviet army mounts a counter-attack on the Nazi forces that occupy half of Stalingrad on the other side of the Volga, but the operation to cross the river is unsuccessful. A few soldiers who managed to get to the other side take refuge in a house on the bank of Volga. Here they find a girl who didn’t escape when the Germans came. While the whole might of the German army descends onto them, the heroes of Stalingrad experience love, loss, joy and the sense of ultimate freedom that can only be felt by those about to die. They defend the house at all costs while the Red Army prepares for another attack.

Can't wait.

Sounds like they've based the story around an actual event in the battle for Stalingrad, i.e. the heroic defence of Pavlov's House

from Wiki
The house was a four-story building in the center of Stalingrad, built perpendicular to the embankment of the river Volga and overseeing the "9th January Square", a large square named for Bloody Sunday. In September 1942, the house was attacked by German soldiers, and a platoon of the Soviet 13th Guards Rifle Division was ordered to defend it. The platoon was led by Junior Sgt. Yakov Pavlov, a noncommissioned officer serving as acting platoon commander since the unit's lieutenant and senior sergeants had all been wounded or killed.

The strategic benefit of the house was it defended a key section of the Volga bank. The tactical benefit of the house was its position on a cross-street giving the defenders a 1 km line of sight to the north, south and west.[1] After several days, reinforcements and resupply arrived for Pavlov's men, bringing the unit up to a 25-man understrength platoon and equipping the defenders with machine guns, anti-tank rifles, and mortars. In keeping with Stalin's Order No. 227—"not one step back", Sgt. Pavlov was ordered to fortify the building and defend it to the last bullet and the last man. Taking this advice to heart, Pavlov ordered the building to be surrounded with four layers of barbed wire and minefields, and set up machine-gun posts in every available window facing the square. In the early stages of the defense, Pavlov discovered that a PTRS-41 anti-tank rifle he had mounted on the roof was particularly effective when used to ambush unsuspecting German tanks; once the tanks had approached to within range of the building, their thin turret-roof armor became exposed to AT rifle fire from above, and were unable to elevate their weapons enough to retaliate.[2]

For better internal communication, Pavlov's soldiers breached the walls in the basement and upper floors, and dug a communications trench to Soviet positions outside. Supplies were brought in via the trench or by boats crossing the river, defying German air raids and shelling. Nevertheless, food and especially water was in short supply. Lacking beds, the soldiers tried to sleep on insulation wool torn off pipes but were subjected to harassing fire every night in order to try and break their resistance.

The Germans attacked the building several times a day. Each time German infantry or tanks tried to cross the square and to close in on the house, Pavlov's men laid down a withering barrage of machine gun and AT rifle fire from the basement, the windows and from the roof top.

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby maguskwt » Tue Oct 22, 2013 2:23 am

Has anyone watched Rush? The James hunt niki Lauda movie? Very good. I'd give it 4 out of 5!
maguskwt
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby tonyeh » Sun Nov 17, 2013 5:54 pm

woof woof ! » Fri Oct 18, 2013 11:06 am wrote:Russian made film Stalingrad released but so far I've been unable to find UK release date.

Ugh...that trailer looks bleedin awful.

If recent Russian films about the war are anything to go by, I won't holing my breath.
tonyeh

PreviousNext

Return to General Chat Forum