Downloading

Please use this forum for general Non-Football related chat

Postby Dundalk » Fri Jan 30, 2009 12:17 am

Eircom in Ireland (like BT) have announced that they are going to stop people downloading illegal music using p2p. You will get a letter giving you a warning, then if you persist you will get another letter and then finally you will be cut off.

I download A LOT every month and I was wondering if this is the start the music and film companies saying enough is enough and really starting to clamp down on this?

Do the rest of yous download much every month? I have an unlimited cap and am not shy using it.

http://www.rte.ie/business/2009/0128/eircom.html
Dundalk
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Kharhaz » Fri Jan 30, 2009 12:29 am

I dont download much music. Quite a few PC games lately but mostly films. It wont happen. A lot of people do it and if all the people got cut off because of it they would lose out on millions. Id say its an act to appear that they are clamping down. You'll get a letter then nothing will happen unless they are pressed about the problem then they can say they are acting as they have sent out letters to the culprits.
Bill Shankly: “I was the best manager in Britain because I was never devious or cheated anyone. I’d break my wife’s legs if I played against her, but I’d never cheat her.”
Kharhaz
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Keris » Fri Jan 30, 2009 2:19 am

Even if telcos should cap/control on our downloading bandwidths. People will eventually get around it. As long as there is hate in capitalism :nod ...
and people like to share anyway...
Power to the people, man!!!  :buttrock  :wwww
Keris
LFC Super Member

Postby babu » Fri Jan 30, 2009 3:20 am

:lookaround

where is dawson?

babu
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JBG » Fri Jan 30, 2009 12:21 pm

I was following this case a lot as I had planned on writing an article on it for a journal but it got settled without going to court.

Basically its not as bad as what the music companies wanted and want they got in Belgium. The music companies will provide names of serial downloaders to Eircom and Eircom will provide three warnings to these people to stop.

In practice it'll probably only mean a handful of people will get caught and even then they'll only lose their internet connection with a signle service provider.
Jolly Bob Grumbine.
JBG
LFC Elite Member

Postby Dundalk » Fri Jan 30, 2009 12:55 pm

JBG, Im with a company who opreate through Eircom, as in use there Lines. 

Is there a chance Ill get a letter from Eircom even though I dont pay my bill to them?
Dundalk
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby dawson99 » Fri Jan 30, 2009 1:05 pm

babu wrote: :lookaround

where is dawson?

:p

never download! its evil
0118 999 881 999 119 7253
dawson99
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Dundalk » Fri Jan 30, 2009 1:06 pm

I knew he would be in to spoil this thread  :D
Dundalk
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Sabre » Fri Jan 30, 2009 1:16 pm

Dundalk get informed about your rights, that vary depending in which country you are.

And in the other hand, bear in mind many and many trackers (torrent trackers) are encrypting their connections. Meaning, your ISP won't be able to track you. It's as simple as configuring your torrent client.
SOS member #1499

Drummerphil, never forgotten.
Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby mistyred » Fri Jan 30, 2009 1:41 pm

Download what you want.

I ain't paying shit the gready bastards.
ImageImageImage
mistyred
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby dawson99 » Fri Jan 30, 2009 1:41 pm

Sabre wrote:Dundalk get informed about your rights, that vary depending in which country you are.

And in the other hand, bear in mind many and many trackers (torrent trackers) are encrypting their connections. Meaning, your ISP won't be able to track you. It's as simple as configuring your torrent client.

Bit like wearing gloves before robbing a house?
0118 999 881 999 119 7253
dawson99
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Judge » Fri Jan 30, 2009 1:43 pm

dawson99 wrote:
babu wrote::lookaround

where is dawson?

:p

never download! its evil

daws. you were one of the all time downloaders

i remember in the real world some 2-3 yrs ago you were downloading stuff and we were calling you a  :pirate

then you now deny it  :p
Judge
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Sabre » Fri Jan 30, 2009 1:47 pm

dawson99 wrote:
Sabre wrote:Dundalk get informed about your rights, that vary depending in which country you are.

When I rob a house, after the process, I have, say jewels and a Plasma TV. And the owner hasn't.

When I download a movie or a software for evaluation, I think the owner doesn't miss anything of his property, does he?

So, if the process are different, the verbs should be different. You shouldn't talk about stealing, but about a legitimate buyer of the movie sharing his move. Which is a concept not difficult to understand since we've all invited someone to see a movie, to share that bought film together. The difference being you share it through the internet.

So, the big companies, in their attempt to keep their benefits up, try to wind our consciences by using verbs like steal, because most people don't like to be told they're thieves.

But that accusation can be easily destroyed when you think what the verb steal implies. And at least here, when you steal something, the owner doesn't have it any more until it's recovered by the police. Certainly not the case.

P.S. So, to answer the question, it wouldn't be like using gloves when you rob a house, but rather like using curtains so that the big companies do not stare through your  private windows to see how you're sharing your property.

Mind you, I don't feel like my connections being monitorized by those companies. It's an attack to the privacy.
Last edited by Sabre on Fri Jan 30, 2009 2:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SOS member #1499

Drummerphil, never forgotten.
Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby SouthCoastShankly » Fri Jan 30, 2009 2:28 pm

mistyred wrote:Download what you want.

I ain't paying shit the gready bastards.

Why not shop lift the music, same difference?
SouthCoastShankly
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby SouthCoastShankly » Fri Jan 30, 2009 2:32 pm

Sabre wrote:
dawson99 wrote:

When I rob a house, after the process, I have, say jewels and a Plasma TV. And the owner hasn't.

When I download a movie or a software for evaluation, I think the owner doesn't miss anything of his property, does he?

So, if the process are different, the verbs should be different. You shouldn't talk about stealing, but about a legitimate buyer of the movie sharing his move. Which is a concept not difficult to understand since we've all invited someone to see a movie, to share that bought film together. The difference being you share it through the internet.

So, the big companies, in their attempt to keep their benefits up, try to wind our consciences by using verbs like steal, because most people don't like to be told they're thieves.

But that accusation can be easily destroyed when you think what the verb steal implies. And at least here, when you steal something, the owner doesn't have it any more until it's recovered by the police. Certainly not the case.

P.S. So, to answer the question, it wouldn't be like using gloves when you rob a house, but rather like using curtains so that the big companies do not stare through your  private windows to see how you're sharing your property.

Mind you, I don't feel like my connections being monitorized by those companies. It's an attack to the privacy.

Its an interesting analogy Sabre.

The only problem with said analogy is that your analogy assumes the "sharing" is only temporary. The friend you invite over to watch your movie is temporarily enjoying said movie and does not keep your movie indifinitely.

P2P users share and keep the media they download which negates any argument of borrowing.

I do, nevertheless, agree that the word steal is incorrect as the sharer is choosing to allow his media to be copied by predominantly anonymous individuals for free.

BUT when you buy media you buy the right to use it not distribute it.
Last edited by SouthCoastShankly on Fri Jan 30, 2009 2:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SouthCoastShankly
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Next

Return to General Chat Forum