Downloading

Please use this forum for general Non-Football related chat

Postby Judge » Fri Jan 30, 2009 2:34 pm

mistyred wrote:Download what you want.

I ain't paying shit the gready bastards.

use money we do, peasant  :D
Judge
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Toffeehater » Fri Jan 30, 2009 6:57 pm

I've got 4 external hard disk's full to the brim , the total capacity's are 660gb , majority of them are tv shows , movies and games so i guess yea i download alot
Toffeehater
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Sabre » Fri Jan 30, 2009 9:31 pm

ts an interesting analogy Sabre.

The only problem with said analogy is that your analogy assumes the "sharing" is only temporary. The friend you invite over to watch your movie is temporarily enjoying said movie and does not keep your movie indifinitely.

P2P users share and keep the media they download which negates any argument of borrowing.

I do, nevertheless, agree that the word steal is incorrect as the sharer is choosing to allow his media to be copied by predominantly anonymous individuals for free.

BUT when you buy media you buy the right to use it not distribute it.

That's a good post, and once admitted that it's not to steal, I think there can be a proper debate. I'll also admit it's not to borrow, nor to lend, for that matter.

I acknowledge the right that companies have to make money with their work.

I also understand that too much piracy can put in risk decent people's job.

So, IMHO, we have to find a way that respects the right of the companies, WITHOUT invading my connection's privacy. Note that, if they're able to watch my traffic to know if I'm using P2P, they're actually filtering ALL my traffic, P2P or not. And the right for the privacy of my data is as important as the right they have to ask money for their products. I'm simply not ready to provide that massive info of the sites I visit to those companies or my ISP.

Now, what can we do to solve the problem?

* We could start to not getting annoyed the users by calling them thieves or inspecting all their internet traffic. That's not the way.

* We, users, should avoid to buy any pirate film that is aimed to make profit. I've never bought one of those DVDs that are sold by chinese in the streets (at least here).

* Campaigns should be made to explain the problem to the users. If it's really a problem their favourite shows will dissappear. Fans must know why certain film didn't make enough money, or why a show must be cancelled. If the users realise their show dissapeared because he didn't buy it, the user will react.

All that said, I think that not always piracy is bad for companies. I've just bought a Enrique Bunbury CD because I liked the stuff I heard when I downloaded it. I evaluated, and I bought. Without the evaluation there would be no buy.

I would have never had gone, to Bunbury, Metallica, U2, and Weezer concerts in my town if I hadn't downloaded the music first and had known the songs. That money came to the industry thanks to the internet.

My position is simple, combat the piracy that seeks profit hard. Not combat the downloads that are to evaluate.

Note that when you buy a film, you don't buy only the data, also the covers, and the documents. I often buy things because I want it to have it with the proper cover, for instance.
SOS member #1499

Drummerphil, never forgotten.
Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Dundalk » Fri Jan 30, 2009 10:01 pm

One option for a solution would to pay 2 or 3 hundred a year to a company. They would then distribute the money to all the music and film industries and then you can download what you want from there.

Possible?
Dundalk
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Woollyback » Fri Jan 30, 2009 10:49 pm

i don't give a monkeys about the music industry. they've robbed british consumers blind for decades, charging us way more than in america and much of europe. profiteering is an @r$ehole's game and now they're getting the payback. fuck 'em

clever artists will find a way of selling their music to their fans without lining the pockets of profiteering wankers like emi/sony etc etc
b*ll*c*ks and s*i*e
Woollyback
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby bunglemark2 » Fri Jan 30, 2009 10:51 pm

Dundalk wrote:Eircom in Ireland (like BT) have announced that they are going to stop people downloading illegal music using p2p. You will get a letter giving you a warning, then if you persist you will get another letter and then finally you will be cut off.

I download A LOT every month and I was wondering if this is the start the music and film companies saying enough is enough and really starting to clamp down on this?

Do the rest of yous download much every month? I have an unlimited cap and am not shy using it.

http://www.rte.ie/business/2009/0128/eircom.html

Mate, correct me if I'm wrong but using a bittorrent client means you're torrenting from dozens of different sites, so you can't get nabbed for d/l'ing a 900Mb AVI from one single location or anything like that.
That way, they can't get ya, or so i'm told
http://s2.tinypic.com/30ldif7_th.jpg
See yooo, Judas. Yoo're gettin' on mah titz !
bunglemark2

Postby Sabre » Fri Jan 30, 2009 11:34 pm

bunglemark2 wrote:
Dundalk wrote:Eircom in Ireland (like BT) have announced that they are going to stop people downloading illegal music using p2p. You will get a letter giving you a warning, then if you persist you will get another letter and then finally you will be cut off.

I download A LOT every month and I was wondering if this is the start the music and film companies saying enough is enough and really starting to clamp down on this?

Do the rest of yous download much every month? I have an unlimited cap and am not shy using it.

Mate, correct me if I'm wrong but using a bittorrent client means you're torrenting from dozens of different sites, so you can't get nabbed for d/l'ing a 900Mb AVI from one single location or anything like that.

Yes (I'll try to explain in plain english), but you're connecting to dozens of servers, using a port (like a gate), and using certain communication protocols. By detecting those protocols, you can limit that kind of traffic completely. That is, if you see a port with 500 connections and with a certain pattern, you can know for sure that it's a P2P application.

It can be solved by encrypting your connections, some trackers already use that mode, and all the decent clients support it.

The worrying bit, mates, is what the thing about getting a letter implies. If they're able to send you a letter saying you have downloaded certain mp3 file, then it means they're able to browse what you are downloading, that is, the content that end up in your hard disk. That's going further than simply blocking certain connections.

In my country that's illegal, you have the right for privacy in communications, and only a Judge, for crime investigation reasons could break that privacy. I'd be surprised if in your country the companies could have access to ALL (legal and illegal, confidential and public) files you open, download, read, or write.
Last edited by Sabre on Fri Jan 30, 2009 11:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SOS member #1499

Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Kharhaz » Fri Jan 30, 2009 11:39 pm

Sabre wrote:
bunglemark2 wrote:

Yes (I'll try to explain in plain english), but you're connecting to dozens of servers, using a port (like a gate), and using certain communication protocols. By detecting those protocols, you can limit that kind of traffic completely. That is, if you see a port with 500 connections and with a certain pattern, you can know for sure that it's a P2P application.

It can be solved by encrypting your connections, some trackers already use that mode, and all the decent clients support it.

The worrying bit, mates, is what the thing about getting a letter implies. If they're able to send you a letter saying you have downloaded certain mp3 file, then it means they're able to browse what you are downloading, that is, the content that end up in your hard disk. That's going further than simply blocking certain connections.

In my country that's illegal, you have the right for privacy in communications, and only a Judge, for crime investigation reasons could break that privacy. I'd be surprised if in your country the companies could have access to the files you open, download, read, or write.

Kind of like hacking into peoples computer to see what they have downloaded. Pretty sure its illegal here too. The limits the ISP have are regards to connections and not the privacy of Personal Computers.
Bill Shankly: “I was the best manager in Britain because I was never devious or cheated anyone. I’d break my wife’s legs if I played against her, but I’d never cheat her.”
Kharhaz
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Sabre » Sat Jan 31, 2009 12:18 am

They don't have to browse your very hard disk.

But between one point, and the other point of the net, you have intermediate machines. One of them is the gateway.

That means everything related to your connections goes through and stays in the buffers of that gateway. So they actually can check what you read and write to and from the internet without actually looking your computer.

The thing is, that if they identify a britney spears song, then, they also can access a file which you consider confidential, and it's totally yours. I don't think that's right, for obvious reasons, it would be like opening all your letters in the post office.
SOS member #1499

Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby dawson99 » Sat Jan 31, 2009 6:46 pm

Sabre wrote:They don't have to browse your very hard disk.

But between one point, and the other point of the net, you have intermediate machines. One of them is the gateway.

That means everything related to your connections goes through and stays in the buffers of that gateway. So they actually can check what you read and write to and from the internet without actually looking your computer.

The thing is, that if they identify a britney spears song, then, they also can access a file which you consider confidential, and it's totally yours. I don't think that's right, for obvious reasons, it would be like opening all your letters in the post office.

Sabre mate, no matter what you say, you are finding a loophole to something you are doing illegally. And not all artists want this free share scheme. some of them can only survive on the sales which people are destroying.
0118 999 881 999 119 7253
dawson99
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby mistyred » Sat Jan 31, 2009 8:12 pm

I haven't bought music since 1995 :D and Judge i use money yano
just not for music, but i do take my kids to the cinema so i am helping the film
industry :D
ImageImageImage
mistyred
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby mistyred » Sat Jan 31, 2009 8:16 pm

SouthCoastShankly wrote:

Why not shop lift the music, same difference?

No, shoplifting is when you steal from a shop  :;): .
Last edited by mistyred on Sat Jan 31, 2009 8:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImageImage
mistyred
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby bunglemark2 » Sat Jan 31, 2009 9:29 pm

Sabre wrote:They don't have to browse your very hard disk.

Sabre, hang on a sec....
If you're caught downloading a Britney Spears track, then any judge is well within his rights to send you to Van Diemen's Land on the grounds of shyte taste in music.
In fact, I reckon there's cause for a campaign to ban such muck from the airwaves
:buttrock
http://s2.tinypic.com/30ldif7_th.jpg
See yooo, Judas. Yoo're gettin' on mah titz !
bunglemark2

Postby dawson99 » Sat Jan 31, 2009 9:44 pm

mistyred wrote:
SouthCoastShankly wrote:

Why not shop lift the music, same difference?

No, shoplifting is when you steal from a shop  :;): .

..and who do the shops pay when they sell certain products?

Seriously some people on here think the only music people download is from multi millionaire people. Truth is a fecking shedload of these musicians need the royalties and payments from the sales to survive.
0118 999 881 999 119 7253
dawson99
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby tubby » Sat Jan 31, 2009 10:04 pm

I don't use P2P. I only use RS and other DDL links of forums.
My new blog for my upcoming holiday.

http://kunstevie.wordpress.com/
tubby
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to General Chat Forum