World cup - What players have impressed?

International Football/Football World Wide - General Discussion

Postby 48-1119859832 » Sun Jun 11, 2006 11:22 am

United and other teams could well be paying out £20million for him, if he continues to have a good WC with Ivory Coast and Ivory Coast go quite far in the tournement.
48-1119859832

Postby Good Bob » Sun Jun 11, 2006 11:35 am

john craig wrote:
Good Bob wrote:A proper footballer, looks very impressive to me, doesn't give the ball away, looks an outstanding prospect. VERY Patrick Vieira like in the way he plays. Be intersting to see how good he is in the other games.

Looks a cracking player to me.

I agree, Yaya Toure was excellent yesterday.  Interesting you should compare him to Vieira, Wenger said recently in an interview that he offered 10 million for Yaya in January to replace Vieira but Olympiacos were not willing to sell.  Wenger was told to wait until the summer, but since Arsenal signed Diaby instead, watch for Yaya to go to another big European team this summer.  I'll bet United are having a look at him with their midfield deficiencies.

Just from that game on TV John as a one off you can see the class the lad possesses. His touch, passing ability, vision, quick releases, one touch play, skill and composure when in tight situations was immense. He looks quick and fairly powerful.

He doesn't have Vieira's work rate, strength or ability to win the ball, but things like positioning and learning when to commit and press can be taught to a player of his quality. For me, he is easily as good if not better than Kolo Toure and Kolo's a hell of a player.
Good Bob

Postby JC_81 » Sun Jun 11, 2006 12:49 pm

Good Bob wrote:
john craig wrote:
Good Bob wrote:A proper footballer, looks very impressive to me, doesn't give the ball away, looks an outstanding prospect. VERY Patrick Vieira like in the way he plays. Be intersting to see how good he is in the other games.

Looks a cracking player to me.

I agree, Yaya Toure was excellent yesterday.  Interesting you should compare him to Vieira, Wenger said recently in an interview that he offered 10 million for Yaya in January to replace Vieira but Olympiacos were not willing to sell.  Wenger was told to wait until the summer, but since Arsenal signed Diaby instead, watch for Yaya to go to another big European team this summer.  I'll bet United are having a look at him with their midfield deficiencies.

Just from that game on TV John as a one off you can see the class the lad possesses. His touch, passing ability, vision, quick releases, one touch play, skill and composure when in tight situations was immense. He looks quick and fairly powerful.

He doesn't have Vieira's work rate, strength or ability to win the ball, but things like positioning and learning when to commit and press can be taught to a player of his quality. For me, he is easily as good if not better than Kolo Toure and Kolo's a hell of a player.

Can't disagree Stu.  In fact Kolo has been quoted in the press recently saying that Yaya is 'by far the better player' of the two.  That's some compliment considering the impact Kolo has had in the Premiership.  I think I'm right in saying he's also younger than Kolo (think the commentator mentioned that last night).  In that case you can only wonder how much a manager like Wenger or Benitez would bring this lad's game on (obviously there's no chance of us going in for him though).
JC_81
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Good Bob » Sun Jun 11, 2006 1:31 pm

23 years old. About 4 months older than me. Needs to move now if he's going to reach the level he's capable of and it needs to be the right move but he is one hell of a player.

Kolo Toure's a superb player for me. But his brother really looks the business. Well impressed.
Good Bob

Postby drummerphil » Sun Jun 11, 2006 1:35 pm

Can anyone really and truly get their head around the Walcott decision.I've tried to think back over european championships and world cups over 32 years to find a situation like it,and i mean any team.
Even the rogar milla one for cameroon because he was about 50 (worked out though), so looking at too old or too young players as well.
The lad has not even played a premiership game.Robbie Fowler,Defoe,Bent at Charlton,Ashton west ham even sheringham and loads more must be considered above Walcott.Yesterday Owen goes off and what does that idiot do brings Downing on ?........
Now nothing against Walcott he might one day be a decent player,but Erickson proved yesterday he has no faith in him.Defoe must think the worlds against him.
TAKING WALCOTT TO GERMANY MIGHT JUST BE THE MOST STUPID AND INEPT DECISION TAKEN BY ANY FOOTBALL COACH IN THE HISTORY OF THE GAME.
my reason for living

Bob Paisley : "Still we've had the hard times too - one year we finished second."

drummerphil
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Good Bob » Sun Jun 11, 2006 1:39 pm

drummerphil wrote:Can anyone really and truly get their head around the Walcott decision.I've tried to think back over european championships and world cups over 32 years to find a situation like it,and i mean any team.
Even the rogar milla one for cameroon because he was about 50 (worked out though), so looking at too old or too young players as well.
The lad has not even played a premiership game.Robbie Fowler,Defoe,Bent at Charlton,Ashton west ham even sheringham and loads more must be considered above Walcott.Yesterday Owen goes off and what does that idiot do brings Downing on ?........
Now nothing against Walcott he might one day be a decent player,but Erickson proved yesterday he has no faith in him.Defoe must think the worlds against him.
TAKING WALCOTT TO GERMANY MIGHT JUST BE THE MOST STUPID AND INEPT DECISION TAKEN BY ANY FOOTBALL COACH IN THE HISTORY OF THE GAME.

Oh I can understand it 100%. I think it was a masterstroke.

Owen and Rooney are unfit, Crouch is no more than a decent player, so we'll leave Fowler, Defoe and Ashton at home and take a lad who's never played. Its the suprise element and pace isn't it. I mean surely thats the way forward, play players who've never played a game in the top league...

Poor attempt at sarcasm. Disgracefull decision.

Bearing in mind Owen and Rooney aren't fully fit to take four strikers was a joke. To then take one who's never played and one who's never a class player is even more pathetic.

Owen, Rooney, Ashton, Defoe and Fowler should have gone.
Good Bob

Postby JC_81 » Sun Jun 11, 2006 1:39 pm

drummerphil wrote:Can anyone really and truly get their head around the Walcott decision.I've tried to think back over european championships and world cups over 32 years to find a situation like it,and i mean any team.

First of all, great to see you back posting fellah.

Secondly, you're spot on.  The Walcott decision was a mistake.  If Sven doesn't throw him on for Owen yesterday then clearly it has become apparent in training that Walcott is not up to the job yet (as just about everyone else but Sven guessed would be the case).  If I was Defoe or Bent I'd be livid right now...
JC_81
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JamCar05 » Sun Jun 11, 2006 4:23 pm

I'll try to sum up which players have impressed me so far (they are probably all mentioned by others already though).

Game one: Schweinsteiger. I have been well impressed with this lad for a couple of years now. Very good in the offense, distributes the ball well, has a good shot and is very versatile. Definetely the best german out there. Klose also showed that he is a good poacher, whereas their defence was obviously very poor.

Game 2: Didn't see the entire game to be honest, but still was quite impressed with Espinoza (sp) in the heart of Ecuadors defence. That young bloke Valencia also did well in the midfield.

Game 3: First our own guys - Gerrard did really well as defensive midfielder (especially in the first half) where he blocked a lot of shots and made some great tackles (should not have been given that ridiculous yellow card). Shame he doesn't get to go forward though. Crouch I think is being unfairly slated; granted he is not a fantastic striker (in the sense of being af poacher) but he was actually quite decent in the first half linking up with the midfielders (especially Cole and Lampard on a couple of occasions) but as Owen was subbed hed completely disappeared (which to be fair wasn't entirely his fault though). Overall Joe Cole was probably one of the few good english players out there (other than SG), but all in all a very poor performance. I think Acuna did ok for Paraguay in the second half btw (albeit nothing extraordinary in a all in all poor game imo).

Game 4: Shaka Hislop :D Some other bloke in T and T's central defence also played his heart out! Ibrahimovic looked good on the ball as well (although I do not particularly like him). Wilhelmsson was also good on the right wing in the first half, he has some good touches on the ball and dribbles well (sometimes a little too much though, where crossing would perhaps would have been a wiser choice!)

Game 5: Riquelme for his passing and I still think Crespo is a great striker (would love to have him at Anfield, even though I know that's completely unrealistic). Sorin also defended very well I thought, he almost always got the ball from their offense. Both Toure brothers played well for IC (especially the younger Yaya though) and their left defender also played pretty well. Also Drogba (spit!) played a good game, he is definetely quite a handful for any defender (just ask our own Sami  :laugh: )

Game 6: Well well... I'm sad to say that yet another Chelsea player did well, but Robben was really really good today (although he was also at it with his diving again - I really can't stand the bugger). It was one of the best individual performances so far in the WC imo. He was taking the :censored: on their left defender countless of times, and it was a cool finish for the goal. Other than him, I thought that Sneijder looked good in the midfield, whereas Kuyt didn't impress me at all (but he didn't have much time though, so I'll reserve my judgement on him for now).
JamCar05

Postby JamCar05 » Sun Jun 11, 2006 4:28 pm

Regarding game 6: naturally I meant that Robben took the :censored: on their RIGHT defender (Serbias left defender really had not much to do, as I thought van Persie was almost completely anonymous (sp) today)
JamCar05

Postby red37 » Sun Jun 11, 2006 4:55 pm

Ayala and riquelme: game 5

(mention for Y toure and dindane)
================================

robben and koroman: game 6

TITANS of HOPE
red37
LFC Guru Member

Postby Good Bob » Sun Jun 11, 2006 5:01 pm

red37 wrote:Ayala and riquelme: game 5

(mention for Y toure and dindane)
================================

robben and koroman: game 6

Do you honestly think Koroman and Dindane have loads of ability?
Good Bob

Postby Mikz » Sun Jun 11, 2006 5:26 pm

Not impressed with Dindane but Koroman was good . Is that ok with you Stu? :D

Just seen the best name of the world cup so far--Gerrardo Torarrdo :laugh:
'' Gary lineker may well have scored 5 goals in 5 minutes , but i think you have to say, what else did he do '' ...Jimmy Hill
Mikz
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby GOAT » Sun Jun 11, 2006 5:29 pm

Gerrardo Torarrdo  :laugh:
Image  Image

YNWA
GOAT

Postby Good Bob » Sun Jun 11, 2006 7:08 pm

Mikz wrote:Not impressed with Dindane but Koroman was good . Is that ok with you Stu? :D

Just seen the best name of the world cup so far--Gerrardo Torarrdo :laugh:

Both distinctly average players.
Good Bob

Postby red37 » Sun Jun 11, 2006 11:50 pm

Good Bob wrote:Do you honestly think Koroman and Dindane have loads of ability?

who said anything about " loads" - dindane to me, did one or two things that stood out thats all...

fwiw the ivory coast had several players who looked impressive..

i must have gone for a cuppa when he had his c.rap bits  :D

TITANS of HOPE
red37
LFC Guru Member

PreviousNext

Return to Football World Wide - General Discussion