World cup - What players have impressed?

International Football/Football World Wide - General Discussion

Postby NCRedFan7 » Fri Jun 09, 2006 6:36 pm

Figured it'd be a good idea to get going a thread about players seen in World Cup games who have impressed.

Thus far, I am quite impressed with Philip Lahm.  Good, speedy rocket-footed left back.  Not a natural lefty, but very solid.

Germany may have given up some breakaways, but I think that has more to do with ineptitude of their center backs.

-NCRedFan7
NCRedFan7

Postby weringo » Fri Jun 09, 2006 7:06 pm

Ive always been impressed with schweinsteiger for Bayern Munich, a skillful right winger. Today in the opening he was one of Germany's better players and considering we are currently searching for a right winger, he may be an option
weringo
LFC Super Member

Postby Alonso14 » Fri Jun 09, 2006 7:11 pm

Got Schweinsteiger in my world cup fantasy team. Great young skilful player. But I think just a bit out of our price range, by about £15m.
Alonso14
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Bad Bob » Fri Jun 09, 2006 8:59 pm

NCRedFan7 wrote:Figured it'd be a good idea to get going a thread about players seen in World Cup games who have impressed.

Thus far, I am quite impressed with Philip Lahm.  Good, speedy rocket-footed left back.  Not a natural lefty, but very solid.

Germany may have given up some breakaways, but I think that has more to do with ineptitude of their center backs.

-NCRedFan7

He had a good game but..."rocket footed"?  His strike was lovely but it weren't exactly a thunder bolt--more like a knuckle ball in baseball.

As for the goals conceded, I think Friedrich the RB was the problem for bolloxing up the offside trap and playing Wanchope in, twice!

Apart from Lahm...Klose, Schweinsteiger and Frings all had very good games.  Klose was clinical in front of goal, Schweinsteiger buzzed dangerously around the box and distributed the ball nicely and Frings--pearl of a strike aside--pulled the strings nicely in the centre and got well stuck in.

Having said that, they were playing Costa Rica--gamers but not world beaters--so let's not get too carried away with Deutschland just yet.
Bad Bob
LFC Guru Member

Postby NCRedFan7 » Fri Jun 09, 2006 9:48 pm

Agreed, they weren't exactly a top-class squad.  Just shows what a wake-up call they're going to get against Ecuador.  I now think that Germany will progress, but they'll be second, not first, in their group.

-NCRedFan7
NCRedFan7

Postby account deleted by request » Fri Jun 09, 2006 10:07 pm

Espinosa (sp) off Ecuador great cb performance, reminded me of Campbell. Klose off German.great header to get so much power on the ball and then to follow it up (instead of standing there admiring his header like so many do)and stick it in the net.
account deleted by request

Postby cptrios » Fri Jun 09, 2006 10:13 pm

Have to agree about Espinosa. Also the guy who made that nice run from midfield near the end...didn't catch who it was.

A little side-note: ESPN over here showed a little "Breakout stars" montage during the pregame, which included Messi, Luca Toni, and... Peter Crouch :D
cptrios

Postby red37 » Fri Jun 09, 2006 10:29 pm

schweinsteiger and klose: game 1

espinoza and valencia: game 2

TITANS of HOPE
red37
LFC Guru Member

Postby account deleted by request » Fri Jun 09, 2006 10:38 pm

His strike was lovely but it weren't exactly a thunder bolt--more like a knuckle ball in baseball.

Whats a knuckle ball Bob? We dont play rounders.... more of a girls game over here :D
account deleted by request

Postby Bad Bob » Fri Jun 09, 2006 10:51 pm

s@int wrote:
His strike was lovely but it weren't exactly a thunder bolt--more like a knuckle ball in baseball.

Whats a knuckle ball Bob? We dont play rounders.... more of a girls game over here :D

:angry:  :laugh:

I know you lot don't play baseball but it's the only thing I can compare Lahm's strike with!  Feckin' impossible to hit...or catch, them knuckleballs!
Bad Bob
LFC Guru Member

Postby 48-1119859832 » Fri Jun 09, 2006 11:05 pm

Bob, basically you're saying he got lucky? :D
48-1119859832

Postby The_Rock » Sat Jun 10, 2006 6:48 am

Without a doubt schweinsteiger..... He actually played on the left flank for germany (but he can play on both flanks).
A Genius Billionaire Playboy Philanthropist
The_Rock
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby kunilson » Sat Jun 10, 2006 6:52 am

ive thought schweinsteiger was good for a long-time now, but unless he's versatile there's no point getting him..........Klose is a natural goalscorer and he would be a great addition to our squad. That lamb guy does pretty well offensively, maybe not defensively..

espinosa was impressive...
kunilson
LFC Super Member

Postby anti-hero » Sat Jun 10, 2006 8:33 am

kunilson wrote:ive thought schweinsteiger was good for a long-time now, but unless he's versatile there's no point getting him..........Klose is a natural goalscorer and he would be a great addition to our squad. That lamb guy does pretty well offensively, maybe not defensively..

espinosa was impressive...

Lamb?  :D

I thought Lahm was awesome too. His goal was perfect.

Right in the top right corner. Magnificent.

Frings strike was of course, the best goal in the tournament to date. Even Steven Gerrard himself would have been proud of such a strike.
anti-hero
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby BOODIDDY » Sat Jun 10, 2006 8:44 am

Good thread.

I said before the start that sweinsteiger was gonna be a star of the tournament. Nothing changed in my view. He didn't score today but was everywhere. Left, centre, over on the right. That lad is gonna be class.

Podolski wasn't his usual self yesterday but i believe he's gonna be good. Klose will score goals in this world cup in the early rounds due to poor defences in their group.

It was a good start but i think they rigged the groups cos its the easiest one to get through by a mile.
BOODIDDY
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Next

Return to Football World Wide - General Discussion