World cup final - Italy v france

International Football/Football World Wide - General Discussion

Postby matrix » Sun Jul 09, 2006 10:58 pm

GOAT wrote:
coolsobs wrote:I feel sorry for zidane
I just hope he isnt remembered for this but i think he will  :down:

Apparently what he said was "everton are better than liverpool" and that :censored: him off, apparently zizou is a secret liverpool fan. :;):

:D

Nah he wont be remembered for this, people arent going to look back at zidane and go, "remember that dirty scumbag zidane, who headbutted that Italian in the world cup final" are they? Theyll remember him as being one of the greatest players this world has seen

zidane will only be remembered for being a football great...we can all say he shouldn,t have done it but it happened thats life...being his last game for france may have had him on edge that bit more    :nod     have to say i was shocked when it happened...   ZIDANE YOU WERE A GREAT    :buttrock

matrix
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby GOAT » Sun Jul 09, 2006 11:01 pm

passmeistro_#14 wrote:i cant believe some people are blaming materazzi for zidane's sending off?!?!?!?!
zidane lost his head, and deserved to go.

however, even though zidane left on a sour note, i will always remember him for being one
of the best players i have ever seen.

Yeah thats exactly what im saying, its his fault and his alone, no matter what materazzi said there is no excuse to react like that.
Image  Image

YNWA
GOAT

Postby IstanBuL-FenerBaHce » Sun Jul 09, 2006 11:12 pm

I never like Zidane.
While i saw his red card...Wow, what a pleasure :p

By the way, Pirlo was selected as "man of the match", i think it could be Cannavaro ???
IstanBuL-FenerBaHce
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby corsocomo » Sun Jul 09, 2006 11:24 pm

???  <==> :cool:
:p  <<<=== :angry:

Madnut! YEAH ITALY!!! :D
corsocomo

Postby fivecups » Sun Jul 09, 2006 11:54 pm

Im sorry that Zidane's exit from football has been tainted. I agree he'll be remembered as a football great but tonight will also never leave him. Imagine the what ifs. What if he'd stayed on, and France had scored in extra time? What if he'd stayed on to score his penalty instead of Trezeuguet? Could France now be holding the world cup? They definitely were the better team on the night. Insane thing to do, but he deserved to leave football on a high.

Interestingly, he changed the whole 'feel' of this world cup, and everyone's abiding memory of it with that one action.
Last edited by fivecups on Sun Jul 09, 2006 11:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
fivecups
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Bad Bob » Mon Jul 10, 2006 12:26 am

Someone get a transcript of what Mattarazzi said...it must have been a gem!  Least I fookin' well hope it was a gem because if Zizou lost the plot over some minor taunt it'll haunt him forever.  What an utterly senseless thing to do for any player, least of all a legend of his experience and stature.

Full marks to Italy for their defensive organization but they were certainly not the attacking threat that some bandwagon jumpers were suggesting they'd become this tournament.  Their penalty taking was superb though!  No Roberto Baggio moonshots this time! :D

All in all, a good balanced game and an intriguing contest throughout--a nice end to a good World Cup!
Bad Bob
LFC Guru Member

Postby corsocomo » Mon Jul 10, 2006 1:01 am

Bad Bob wrote:No Roberto Baggio moonshots this time! :D

Roberto Baggio is not to be "insulted"...or referenced. :suspect:

He is an absolute legend to me...not Zizzzzz.  :talktothehand 

:D :D :D
corsocomo

Postby LFC #1 » Mon Jul 10, 2006 4:04 am

Gutted for Zizou, but I had twenty dolalrs on him @ 7/1 so I'm happy. :D
LFC #1
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby The_Rock » Mon Jul 10, 2006 6:49 am

Thats not the "send-off" zidane was expecting  :p

But seriously, zidane is one of the best players ever. I'm sure people will remember zidane more for his positives (ie.....2 goals against brazil in the 98 world cup or that wonder goal against leverkuson in the champ league final) instead of his red-card.

Maybe rafa should rope in zidane.....He would be awesome in the support striker role.  :bowdown
A Genius Billionaire Playboy Philanthropist
The_Rock
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Big Niall » Mon Jul 10, 2006 9:42 am

Happy Italy won, pity Roberto Baggio doesn't still play as he is one of my favourite ever players.

Well done Italy. :buttrock
Big Niall
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby SouthCoastShankly » Mon Jul 10, 2006 9:52 am

Did anyone else notice Materazzis nipple twist on Zidane prior to the red card?

It happened just before they exchanged words that led to the sending off. Classic wind-up
SouthCoastShankly
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 48-1119859832 » Mon Jul 10, 2006 10:00 am

I'm absolutely gutted for France, they were the much, much better side on the night, but what you deserve and what you get in the game of football is not always what you get and that was proved last night.

Some say Zidane disgraced himself, I don't I think it was the wrong match to headbutt that piece of scum Mattarazzi, I hate the fact that Italy won, but they did and they played a cracking match so well done I guess.  :(
48-1119859832

Postby 48-1119859832 » Mon Jul 10, 2006 10:04 am

SouthCoastShankly wrote:Did anyone else notice Materazzis nipple twist on Zidane prior to the red card?

It happened just before they exchanged words that led to the sending off. Classic wind-up

Matterazzi went down far too easily though. I'm sure he Zidane wouldn't of got sent off had Matterazzi not fallen over in such a dramatic style, but that's Italy all over.  :no
48-1119859832

Postby davo_LFC » Mon Jul 10, 2006 11:21 am

0asis wrote:
SouthCoastShankly wrote:Did anyone else notice Materazzis nipple twist on Zidane prior to the red card?

Matterazzi went down far too easily though. I'm sure he Zidane wouldn't of got sent off had Matterazzi not fallen over in such a dramatic style, but that's Italy all over.  :no

Did you actually see the headbutt, it was a belter, he took about 3 angry charges before planting his head into materazzis chest. If materazzi had been any smaller, he would have had a smart broken nose. Infact am suprised he wernt winded, never mind hitting the ground easily  :Oo:  :D

Na he probably could have stayed up but it looked to me like it took him by complete suprise. Incredible butt  :D

Italy wernt as good as they have been in the tournament and france probably shaded it coz italy were non-existent as an attacking force after half time.

Well done italy though.
ImageImage
davo_LFC
LFC Super Member

Postby stmichael » Mon Jul 10, 2006 2:32 pm

All in all, I thought France deserved to win the final. Italy were really disappointing in the second half when the game was there for the taking. France were all over the place defensively, especially from set pieces.

Spirit & rejuvenation on the pitch got France to the final. Domenech (who I don't rate at all) got it wrong from the start by leaving out both Giuly & Pires, & even by not bringing on Dhorasoo who likes to make things happen.  They didnt have that movement from midfield that brings out the best in Henry & Zidane & that's what cost them goals. Henry made excellent bursts into the depths of the Italian defence & they dreaded him having the ball in the penalty area, but he had no one with him & Pires & Giuly make a living out of blind side runs into the 6-yard box that are difficult to pick up.  That (& poor linesman call for the Pirlo corner!) cost them the World Cup.

Domenech's lack of tactical nous and moral courage goes back two years at least. When he took the job and Zidane retired the French team had to have been shaped around Henry. International football may well be a different and possibly inferior game to the Champions League but Henry deserved the opportunity to prove he's not the big-game bottler that many - not unreasonably either - believe him to be.

I followed France through the tournament and was surprised that they travelled as far as they did. As for Italy, they won the World Cup despite only playing really well once (against Germany), but the manager and the players deserve great credit, given what was going on back at home.
Last edited by stmichael on Mon Jul 10, 2006 2:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

PreviousNext

Return to Football World Wide - General Discussion