The world cup - Its on

International Football/Football World Wide - General Discussion

Postby GOAT » Fri Jun 09, 2006 11:09 pm

Yeah poland out, germany first and ecuador 2nd probably, then we'll probably face ecuador after we top the group
Image  Image

YNWA
GOAT

Postby Sabre » Fri Jun 09, 2006 11:12 pm

(1) I agree that the German defense's high line was a little adventurous but I think the real problem was the Friedrich (RB) played Wanchope on-side twice.  Looking at the replays, he's at least a yard behind his 3 fellow defenders and this allowed Wanchope to cut them open.

I don't think thet'll play like that against a decent squad, they could pay it dearly . Costa Rica made them two (Wanchope is not bad, btw, he played in the liga, somewhat slow but good striker)
SOS member #1499

Drummerphil, never forgotten.
Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby GOAT » Fri Jun 09, 2006 11:19 pm

Sabre wrote:
(1) I agree that the German defense's high line was a little adventurous but I think the real problem was the Friedrich (RB) played Wanchope on-side twice.  Looking at the replays, he's at least a yard behind his 3 fellow defenders and this allowed Wanchope to cut them open.

I don't think thet'll play like that against a decent squad, they could pay it dearly . Costa Rica made them two (Wanchope is not bad, btw, he played in the liga, somewhat slow but good striker)

Didnt wanchope play for man city?
Image  Image

YNWA
GOAT

Postby andy_g » Fri Jun 09, 2006 11:31 pm

yep, and derby and west ham.

Get up! everybody's gonna move their feet
Get Down! everybody's gonna leave their seat
andy_g
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Sabre » Fri Jun 09, 2006 11:34 pm

And Malaga too. Apart from the obvious mistakes of one of the defenders to make the off side trap, It was quite surprising to see that high defence line because they do not use to do that historically, and because I do think it's too risky to play that kind of defence against midfields like the Spaniard or the English one.

Watch out Paraguay tomorrow, they're tough defensively.
SOS member #1499

Drummerphil, never forgotten.
Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Fri Jun 09, 2006 11:35 pm

the balls in the world cup are an absolute joke. if you're a goalkeeper you'll be having nightmares.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby adamnbarrett » Fri Jun 09, 2006 11:40 pm

Watch out Paraguay tomorrow, they're tough defensively.

Have no fear, Crouchy is here :D
Image Image Image
adamnbarrett
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby GOAT » Fri Jun 09, 2006 11:41 pm

stmichael wrote:the balls in the world cup are an absolute joke. if you're a goalkeeper you'll be having nightmares.

Will make for some very exciting matches though, wish we could use a different ball for our matches though
Image  Image

YNWA
GOAT

Postby 48-1119859832 » Sat Jun 10, 2006 12:08 am

GOAT wrote:Yeah poland out, germany first and ecuador 2nd probably, then we'll probably face ecuador after we top the group

Goat, let's take one game at a time. You never know, Costa Rica could beat Ecuador and Poland. We also have tough games against Paraguay, Trinidad & Tobago, as well as Sweden.

Ideally we should be able to beat both Paraguay and Trinidad & Tobago, perhaps get a draw against, or win against Sweden.

Then facing either Costa Rica or Ecuador in the next phase.

:)
48-1119859832

Postby GOAT » Sat Jun 10, 2006 12:47 am

0asis wrote:
GOAT wrote:Yeah poland out, germany first and ecuador 2nd probably, then we'll probably face ecuador after we top the group

Goat, let's take one game at a time. You never know, Costa Rica could beat Ecuador and Poland. We also have tough games against Paraguay, Trinidad & Tobago, as well as Sweden.

Ideally we should be able to beat both Paraguay and Trinidad & Tobago, perhaps get a draw against, or win against Sweden.

Then facing either Costa Rica or Ecuador in the next phase.

:)

Yeah, i was just stating what was most likely to happen. We should easily top the group, sweden could be tough but the other two should be pretty easy if we play to our best. Germany are bound to top group A so we are going to end up with one of them 3 poor teams in the next round so we will have an ideal opponent for the last 16
Image  Image

YNWA
GOAT

Postby anti-hero » Sat Jun 10, 2006 2:25 am

Poland were embarrasing today.

Who was that guy who took the corner kick that missed everybody by a vertical mile and ended up being a goal kick?

Their passing was poor. Especially in the middle of the park. Exchanges between the central midfield partnership was sloppy and they gave away a lot of possesion there. And communication? Non-existent. Poland deserved to lose this match.

Well done Ecuador.
anti-hero
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 66-1112520797 » Sat Jun 10, 2006 6:04 am

stmichael wrote:the balls in the world cup are an absolute joke. if you're a goalkeeper you'll be having nightmares.

Nah apparently not, those new balls are supposed to be easier for keepers to read. When a player strikes one of these balls they are supposed to go in the direction the player has kicked. And not float or move during flight, unless the player puts swerve on it himself. All this apparently because there rounder.
66-1112520797

Postby 48-1119859832 » Sat Jun 10, 2006 9:23 am

Sabre wrote:

They did it against Italy and Japan in their warm up matches and got punished, I believe Italy thumped them 4-0. Saying that tho, the Germans lost 5-1 to us and then went to the final of the 2002 World Cup, so nothing surprises me with Germany.

However they can't afford to push up like this in the latter round of the competition. If all goes well for England, it will be Germany and Sweden match up in the Last 16. And if Germany do that against Sweden, they might not be so lucky.

Wanchope, played for Derby County and Man City, before moving to Malaga. He now plays for a Costa Rican Club called Club Sport Herediano.

Apprantely, he wants to come back to the Premiership, perhaps Reading or Watford might sign him.  :D
Last edited by 48-1119859832 on Sat Jun 10, 2006 9:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
48-1119859832

Postby 48-1119859832 » Sat Jun 10, 2006 9:27 am

Bamaga man wrote:

Nah apparently not, those new balls are supposed to be easier for keepers to read. When a player strikes one of these balls they are supposed to go in the direction the player has kicked. And not float or move during flight, unless the player puts swerve on it himself. All this apparently because there rounder.

You sure? Becoz Frings' shot was just a simple piledriver and ended up swirling and changing direction in flight, then went in. No chance for Porras to save that.
48-1119859832

Postby Gaunt » Sat Jun 10, 2006 6:39 pm

The Trinidad against Sweden match is good for the neutral right now. All the Trinidad players are putting in immense performances and holding Sweden at bay and even offering a threat on the counter. Hopefully they can keep it 0-0.
Gaunt

PreviousNext

Return to Football World Wide - General Discussion