The world cup - Its on

International Football/Football World Wide - General Discussion

Postby GOAT » Fri Jun 09, 2006 7:12 pm

Yeah im looking forward to the lot, and im going to watch the lot
Image  Image

YNWA
GOAT

Postby JC_81 » Fri Jun 09, 2006 7:24 pm

0asis wrote:Is anyone else looking forward to Poland vs Ecuador?

I think that should be an interesting game, from what I've heard Ecuador have beaten both Brazil and Argentina in recent times. Should be a very interesting match.

Ecuador struggled to beat a German Universities team a few days back, they look a really poor side.  I watched Poland v Colombia last week too and the Poles were rubbish (the colombian keeper scored from his own box FFS).  I doubt there'll be much classy football in this one but both teams are such a mess there may well be goals.  Could be interesting.
JC_81
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 48-1119859832 » Fri Jun 09, 2006 7:26 pm

john craig wrote:

I think that should be an interesting game, from what I've heard Ecuador have beaten both Brazil and Argentina in recent times. Should be a very interesting match.

Ecuador struggled to beat a German Universities team a few days back, they look a really poor side.  I watched Poland v Colombia last week too and the Poles were rubbish (the colombian keeper scored from his own box FFS).  I doubt there'll be much classy football in this one but both teams are such a mess there may well be goals.  Could be interesting.

Oh rite, did Ecuador not beat Brazil and Argentina the last time they met then?
48-1119859832

Postby JC_81 » Fri Jun 09, 2006 7:28 pm

0asis wrote:
john craig wrote:

Oh rite, did Ecuador not beat Brazil and Argentina the last time they met then?

You could well be right about that, there are always strange results in the south american qualifying games, but I honestly don't know.  All I do know is they've been pi.ss poor in the warm up games...
JC_81
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 48-1119859832 » Fri Jun 09, 2006 7:40 pm

I still feel that it will be an exciting match though, with a ball that swayes and swirls in mid air and a European style vs a South American style; I think it will make for a good match up. Well I'm hoping it does.
48-1119859832

Postby GOAT » Fri Jun 09, 2006 7:42 pm

Yeah i think they did beat brazil and argentina not long ago but i think they also lost to a german 4th or 5th division team too... Im guessing it wont be a very entertaining game but ill watch it anyway, hope it has goals
Image  Image

YNWA
GOAT

Postby JC_81 » Fri Jun 09, 2006 7:46 pm

I'm sure there will be a few freak results in this tournament due to the way those new balls swerve in the air.  When you saw the replay of Lahm's goal with the camera directly behind him as he hit it, you could see just how much the ball moves side to side in the air, impossible for keepers to read
JC_81
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby dawson99 » Fri Jun 09, 2006 8:24 pm

ecuador 1-0 up... bit of a semi shock for the layman
0118 999 881 999 119 7253
dawson99
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Gaunt » Fri Jun 09, 2006 8:34 pm

Ecuador looking very dangerous on the attack with some good technical players. I'd say they will get one or two more if Poland don't pull themselves together shortly.
Gaunt

Postby adamnbarrett » Fri Jun 09, 2006 8:42 pm

Poland's problem is the fact that Zurawski (sp?) is isolated n they are too narrow. Whereas Ecuador are using the width n their aerial ability from set pieces are causing Poland problems.
Image Image Image
adamnbarrett
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Bad Bob » Fri Jun 09, 2006 8:48 pm

0asis wrote:What an opening match to this World Cup and we might just of seen two of the best goals scored in this World Cup Final.

I thought Costa Rica did well up top, Wanchope showed great composure to score those two good goals, however I don't think he would of scored either had Germany's defence not been to tight, pushed up too much (especially for his first) and not closed down the Costa Rican attackers for the second. Jens Lehmann looked out of depth just like the Champions League final, I bet Oliver Kahn is delighted with Jen's somewhat nervous appearance. :D

I noticed a few cases of diving being done, most notably was Schiender near the end of the match, it's a shame to see it but it looks like it's the norm of football nowadays, so I won't object if Joe Cole does it or Gerrard.

Germany although they score goals will struggle this WC, especially if they don't sort their defence out, they are quite fortunate that they have such a class midfield and two great strikers to score them their goals because their defence was shambolic, it was nearly as bad as Newcastle's defence.

Overall the game was a very good one, the goals were very good and hopefully there is more matches like this to come thru-out this WC.

It was a good opening match although it sagged a bit before Germany got their third.

A couple of points...

(1) I agree that the German defense's high line was a little adventurous but I think the real problem was the Friedrich (RB) played Wanchope on-side twice.  Looking at the replays, he's at least a yard behind his 3 fellow defenders and this allowed Wanchope to cut them open.

(2) As for Lehmann, I don't think Wanchope gave him much of a chance with either goal.  Wanchope must have ice water in his veins: both goals he took what seemed to be a touch too many and almost got closed down before releasing his shot.

(3) Can't say that I agree about the diving.  Schneider went down a little theatrically but he was pushed in the box, so 50-50 (good no-call, I thought).  Other than that, I thought the game was played very fairly.

As for Klose, he's off to another flyer but we'll have to see if he fades as the tournament goes on, as he did last time a little.  He was clinical in front of goal, though.

And, finally, Frings (great name!)...what a strike!  Wonky ball or not, he caught it sweetly and no one was saving that!  More of that kind of football, please!  :buttrock
Bad Bob
LFC Guru Member

Postby GOAT » Fri Jun 09, 2006 9:12 pm

:sleep very boring match this, as expected
Image  Image

YNWA
GOAT

Postby adamnbarrett » Fri Jun 09, 2006 9:30 pm

GOAT wrote: :sleep very boring match this, as expected

Yep ITV just showed the shots on goal tally and there have only been 4 shots in the whole game. All of which have been euador's  :sleep
Image Image Image
adamnbarrett
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Gaunt » Fri Jun 09, 2006 9:40 pm

2-0 Ecuador.
Gaunt

Postby 48-1119859832 » Fri Jun 09, 2006 10:04 pm

Poland vs Ecuador, wasn't the most exciting match and certainly not a match for the neutral spectator. I thought Poland were poor at defending in set pieces, their defence was giving away needless free kicks. Ecuador came out and played like any South American team, passed well, had good build up play, showed good techincal ability. They deserved their first goal in the first half. I thought Poland were too narrow and this gave Ecuador a massive advantage, in terms of width and space.

The second half Poland came out, attacked and pretty much dominated the entire second half but they lacked the cutting edge up top to seriously challenge Ecuador. They also did was Germany did as well push their defence up to try and catch an Ecuador attacker offside, failed to do so and then a simple finish in the end.

Poland are out of Group A, me thinks.
48-1119859832

PreviousNext

Return to Football World Wide - General Discussion