The world cup - Its on

International Football/Football World Wide - General Discussion

Postby 48-1119859832 » Mon Jun 12, 2006 6:33 pm

adamnbarrett wrote:
0asis wrote:
adamnbarrett wrote:Czech Republic 2 - 0 USA

Great powerful header by koller and a super strike by Rosicky from long range. Czech's playing good stuff. No Baros BTW.

Well with Baros and Koller both out, Czech Republic will struggle, they will struggle a lot. Koller and Baros is a dangerous and formidable partnership. Still I can't see U.S.A getting back into this match. U.S.A have been losing the midfield battle as well, but Arena has changed things around, hopefully Beasley will get more involved in the game.

They do seem to be having more possession. That Eddie Johnson doesn't look too bad. He's been bright since he has come on. Made runs and not allowed to shoot from distance.

Yeah Johnson doesn't look like a bad player. Czech Republic have been letting U.S.A have more than their fair share of possession. But Czech Republic are still stronger in midfield area and McBride hasn't had adaquete service either, Beasley seems to be doin more defending than attacking.

And it's 3-0 Rosicky.  :D
48-1119859832

Postby GOAT » Mon Jun 12, 2006 7:35 pm

We should have signed rosicky! Now hes ended up at a club like arsenal, sad to see talent wasted. Great game today
Image  Image

YNWA
GOAT

Postby 48-1119859832 » Mon Jun 12, 2006 7:54 pm

GOAT wrote:We should have signed rosicky! Now hes ended up at a club like arsenal, sad to see talent wasted. Great game today

I'm pretty sure it won't be wasted, after all Arsenal are a very attacking side. I think he'll fit their system well, I don't know if we would fit ours.
48-1119859832

Postby adamnbarrett » Mon Jun 12, 2006 8:29 pm

This ghana vs italy game is great. Still 0-0 but Toni has hit the bar and ghana have had an effort just wide. Great attacking football with a fast pace to it.

Appiah has really impressed me, he is all over the pitch. He must have covered every blade of grass.
Last edited by adamnbarrett on Mon Jun 12, 2006 8:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Image Image Image
adamnbarrett
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby kobashi » Mon Jun 12, 2006 8:33 pm

GOAT wrote:We should have signed rosicky! Now hes ended up at a club like arsenal, sad to see talent wasted. Great game today

He will be awesome in the Arsenal side.  Arsenal got a real bargain. 

One thing I'm glad about is all the African sides have competed.  So many idiots I spoke to thought these sides are their just to make up the numbers.  Not realising that those days are long gone now.  Some people think just cos they aint heard of players they must not be any good.
kobashi

Postby kobashi » Mon Jun 12, 2006 8:35 pm

adamnbarrett wrote:This ghana vs italy game is great. Still 0-0 but Toni has hit the bar and ghana have had an effort just wide. Great attacking football with a fast pace to it.

Appiah has really impressed me, he is all over the pitch. He must have covered every blade of grass.

Appiah is very good.  I was surprised Wenger didnt take him from Juve when Juve bought Viera.  Toni is awesome.  Inter Milan say they are getting him no matter what and will keep bidding till Inter accept.
kobashi

Postby adamnbarrett » Mon Jun 12, 2006 8:40 pm

Pirlo has just scored a cracker for Italy 1-0
Image Image Image
adamnbarrett
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 48-1119859832 » Mon Jun 12, 2006 9:31 pm

adamnbarrett wrote:Pirlo has just scored a cracker for Italy 1-0

Ghana gave him too much room and the two Ghana players were too slow in running towards him, gave him too much room around the 18 yard area and what a shot. Do you know if that actually hit a player on it's way in or was that str8 in?
48-1119859832

Postby adamnbarrett » Mon Jun 12, 2006 9:39 pm

0asis wrote:
adamnbarrett wrote:Pirlo has just scored a cracker for Italy 1-0

Ghana gave him too much room and the two Ghana players were too slow in running towards him, gave him too much room around the 18 yard area and what a shot. Do you know if that actually hit a player on it's way in or was that str8 in?

I'm not sure, after seeing the available angles I'm still not sure because the angles aren't particulary good. It does look as if it took a slight touch off the defender's head but due to the angles of the replay it could just be the ball dipping.

BTW did you see when the offside flag was raised and Iaquinta didn't see it but was then crocked by Kuffour who was the last man. Whether it was offside or not Kuffour has snapped Iaquinta from the back and he was the last man. Iaquinta was carried off on a stretcher, he is back on now but that tackle could of ended his tournament. TBH I think that Kuffour should have been sent off whether the offside flag had been raised or not. It is the same as when bowyer was sent off at anfield after a free-kick had been given to alonso, free-kick is give and then bowyer dives in and he got a red card. Kuffour should have been sent off, anyone else agree.

BTW Iaquinta has just scored, by rounding the keeper.

2-0

IMO justice done because it was Kuffour's bad back pass that led Iaquinta in and he rounded the keeper and scored.
Last edited by adamnbarrett on Mon Jun 12, 2006 9:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Image Image Image
adamnbarrett
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 48-1119859832 » Mon Jun 12, 2006 9:48 pm

Yeah I did see that tackle, it was utterly unforgivable, there seems to be a lot of bad challenges from defenders, especially from teams that are making their World Cup debut. I agree that should of been a red card, especially if Avery John's was a red card. 

Iaquinta picked up a needless yellow card, for throwing the ball away.

An interesting fact I've just heard, Italy haven't lost since October 2004. If they win tonite, which they will, that's 19 games unbeaten.
Last edited by 48-1119859832 on Mon Jun 12, 2006 9:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
48-1119859832

Postby JC_81 » Mon Jun 12, 2006 10:23 pm

I was quite impressed with Italy tonight.  They look more creative than the Italy teams at the last few major tournaments and as we know they're always good defensively.  Thay also have Gattuso to come back into the side. 

Ghana did well, although all the African teams in this tournament have had the same problems - poor final ball after good midfield play and a tendency to switch off at the back.  Essien had a blinder - perhaps another example of how a midfield player can express themselves when they aren't lumbered with covering Fat Lampard's workload.
JC_81
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby davo_LFC » Mon Jun 12, 2006 10:27 pm

Italy impressed me tonight, totti was absolutely brilliant pulling the strings and toni looks like a good striker; his strike was class. On the evidence of tonights game i'd have iquainta over gilardino, he did more in 20 minutes than gilardino did in 70. I dont see italy winning it though, they will tend to sit back against the better teams i feel and this might be dangerous against the likes of brazil and argentina. Some of their play was excellent though and i'd be suprised if they dont reach the latter stages. They are naturally solid at the back so i would imagine they would have a real good chance if they didnt go into their shell, they have the talent to score more goals.
ImageImage
davo_LFC
LFC Super Member

Postby JC_81 » Mon Jun 12, 2006 10:31 pm

As for the Czech - USA game, the Czechs were fantastic - totally dominant in midfield.  Someone needs to drug-test Nedved and Poborsky, they were sprinting around like 18 year olds all day long :laugh:

Definitely the most fluent team I've seen in the tournament so far, but when you think a lot of those players have been together since Euro '96 it's not hard to understand why.  They might struggle up front if Koller's injury is serious and I'm not convinced their defence will hold up to pressure from a top side, but they're looking good at the moment.  Rosicky was superb, but I wouldn't get over-excited if I was an Arsenal fan - almost every Czech player has a habit of performing better for country than club.

USA were poor.  They come across to me as a side too burdened by tactics and afraid to express themselves.  Gone are the days that USA had to suck the life out of games to get any joy, they now have some decent talent in the side and Arena needs to take the shackles off his players a bit more imo.
JC_81
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 48-1119859832 » Tue Jun 13, 2006 6:06 pm

France vs Switzerland has been fairly boring so far, it's only the first half but France haven't looked great at all. France should of had a penalty but it wasn't given.

The tempo of the game needs to change, it's too slow and France need to be more creative, midfield need to support Henry.

Second half has just started. Let's hope it's not as bad as the first half, coz that was boring.
48-1119859832

Postby GOAT » Tue Jun 13, 2006 6:46 pm

Very boring match this has been, this is the surprise result so far unless they score in the last few mins
Image  Image

YNWA
GOAT

PreviousNext

Return to Football World Wide - General Discussion