Roy Hodgson for England

International Football/Football World Wide - General Discussion

Postby red till i die!! » Tue May 01, 2012 11:53 am

you cant blame him really for taking the job.its the f.a who are to blame and the fact that they were never even interested in anyone else speaks volumes imo.
had they of went with redknapp then they would have been ridiculed by fifa considering they were running around a short time ago pointing the corruption finger at everyone else over the world cup bids,the spats with blatter,yer man triesman and that idiot who fell into the pool pi$$ed a while back.
they went against the wishes of the players/public and thats going to be woy's downfall straight away but on the plus side zamora,crouch and heskey will probably get a recall :laugh: bad news for glenn johnson though as roy couldnt understand how he was 1st choice at r.b.no captaincy for gerrard either :no .
he will be unemployed come august when his mate ollie holt and his cronies drag him through the mud by the hair of his head :nod .
if woy thinks he was under pressure managing a club like liverpool then he's in for a big shock with the expectations of the england job.
you should have stayed in your comfort zone with the baggies!!
red till i die!!
LFC Super Member

Postby Homebooby » Tue May 01, 2012 12:09 pm

Watch the Motty interview here http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/17888928

I don't think he can believe it either and I get the feeling that he is saying between the lines that whatever manager goes to the EC this summer is going to be the whipping boy for the UK and is on a hiding to nothing. So Woy is being put forward as the sacrificial lamb for this tournament, then steps aside for a new manager following the championship? A little convoluted, but not beyond the realms of possibility.

I understand why they have gone for him. I would imagine they have exhausted the Rednapp route before they turned to Weliable Woy. We all knew he would say yes even with 2 mins to go before kick off. So he was a good fallback solution.
Homebooby

Postby jacdaniel » Tue May 01, 2012 12:34 pm

Cant they just look at Liverpool and see what happens when a class manager is sacked and replaced by a "nice guy"
"When you walk, through a storm, hold your head up high"
jacdaniel
LFC Super Member

Postby Reg » Tue May 01, 2012 1:12 pm

So Woy accepts the poisened chalice again simply to get the pay off.
Reg
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Greavesie » Tue May 01, 2012 3:42 pm

was listening to Five Live before the Manc match and Alan Green was laying into his appointment, was absolutely hilarious

I don't understand how the FA can let various England internationals tweet that they want Harry and then go and appoint someone completely different, as soon as they were tweeting about it I thought they should have given an official warning

this is absolutely fantastic, just seeing his mug all over the media is making to smile
All round the fields of Anfield Road
Where once we watched the King Kenny play (and could he play!)
Stevie Heighway on the wing
We had dreams and songs to sing
'Bout the glory, round the Fields of Anfield Road

JFT 96 - Gone but never forgotten
YNWA 15/4/1989
God Bless You All
Greavesie

Postby jacdaniel » Tue May 01, 2012 4:25 pm

Im so happy we got rid of this small time manager!!!  His press conference is awful... he looks so lost and is already getting the excuses in.  The man just doesnt know how to do anything other than talk down a team's chances. 

ive heard he has never had a positive goal difference while managing an English club?  Is that true?
"When you walk, through a storm, hold your head up high"
jacdaniel
LFC Super Member

Postby metalhead » Tue May 01, 2012 5:39 pm

appointed on a 4 year contract, best of luck to the man really, but I don't expect England to do much
ImageImageImage
metalhead
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby SouthCoastShankly » Tue May 01, 2012 6:54 pm

metalhead » Tue May 01, 2012 4:39 pm wrote:appointed on a 4 year contract, best of luck to the man really, but I don't expect England to do much

Not sure when I have ever expected England to do much.

1998 probably until Eileen Drury ruined it with her mystic bullsh!t
SouthCoastShankly
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Simari » Tue May 01, 2012 7:18 pm

why a 4 year contract? Why not just a 2 year contract. Another big pay-off to sack him when we don't qualify for the WC.

If anything, the FA should have made him chief spokesperson for England, cos he would do that rather well. But not try to manage a team full of egos ...

He's never been successful in that scenario, it's far too easy managing mid-table clubs where mediocrity is the expectation, this is true in any walk of life, not just football.

The most disappointing aspect of this appointment is the type of football we can expect our team to play ... we all know what it's going to feel like  :devil:
Simari
LFC Super Member

Postby Greavesie » Tue May 01, 2012 10:51 pm

will International football tournaments to classed as away fixtures?  :devil:

YNWA 15/4/1989
God Bless You All
Greavesie

Postby Boxscarf » Tue May 01, 2012 11:35 pm

I wish Hodgson all the best.
Boxscarf

Postby RedAnt » Tue May 01, 2012 11:43 pm

I believe Roy is just the man for the job and will be a great success. Good luck to him.
"The S*n: The paper you wipe your ars.e on and more sh*t comes off the paper"
RedAnt

Postby Greavesie » Tue May 01, 2012 11:43 pm

Boxscarf » Tue May 01, 2012 11:35 pm wrote:I wish Hodgson all the best.

f*ck that, Roy Hodgson can kiss my *****

his whole tenure as England manager will have a Liverpool sub plot

YNWA 15/4/1989
God Bless You All
Greavesie

Postby LFC2007 » Wed May 02, 2012 12:19 am

RedAnt » Tue May 01, 2012 10:43 pm wrote:I believe Roy is just the man for the job and will be a great success. Good luck to him.

Are you being serious?
LFC2007

Postby aCe' » Wed May 02, 2012 3:15 am

The safe option. The day Capello got fired I wrote on this very board that Hodgson would be the ext England manager and I stood by it throughout. Despite his dismal time at Liverpool, Roy has a rather impressive CV for an English manager and imo he plays the politics game better than many give him credit for. It was always going to be a funny one especially for Liverpool supporters but I think the FA are looking at the bigger picture here. With the players England have atm, there isnt a realistic chance of winning anything in the Euros this year or even the WC in 2 years time. With Roy in charge I think the FA have finally decided that it was time to start focusing a bit more on developing the game itself starting from grassroots level rather than simply appointing a quick fix or a 'sacrificial lamb' to get through the tournament as someone put it. From that perspective, you can understand why the FA would choose Hodgson over Redknapp for the England job and why they would offer him a 4 year contract.

In the short term, I dont think it would have made a big difference if Redknapp, Pearce or Hodgson were to lead England in the Euros. Most likely, the 2nd round is as far as expectations go and I think any of the 3 men would have achieved that. Past the tournament, a lot will depend on the future of certain senior player (Gerrard, Lampard, Ferdinand, Cole, Terry..etc) and the direction the FA as a whole wants to take with regards to the national team. The message this appointment send out imo is that after the Euros, there will be an increased focus on giving younger players a chance with Roy trying to instill a specific style of management and play throughout the different age brackets in the England setup. Wouldnt be surprised to see Pearce and others leave after the Olympics if they arent on board with the plans.
aCe'
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to Football World Wide - General Discussion