Roy Hodgson for England

International Football/Football World Wide - General Discussion

Postby Benny The Noon » Wed Oct 16, 2013 11:12 pm

In the end it will be the same result at the tournament - last 16 - possible QF.

Until then it's a daily media W*nk fest about how we are going to win etc blah blah

The FA have this grand plan to modernise the National team to play better football and to try and compete against Spain with a good set up from grass roots

Then you ruin the plans they say they want English coaches only and the main guy is Hodgson

Until the FA branch out and look into how teams like Germany and Spain do it England will go nowhere

Both countries at the Under 21's send the strongest possible squads with players like Mata etc previously going - where as we don't and players like Oxlade etc just don't go. It's those tournaments that Spain and Germany use to develop their youngsters.

To embrace the methods of those countries they need to employ coaches and managers that are familiar with them. The problem is they won't go foriegn for a while now and nothing will change for England
Benny The Noon

Postby Benny The Noon » Wed Oct 16, 2013 11:49 pm

England boss Hodgson caught up in row over 'monkey' joke and Andros Townsend
16 October 2013 11:01 PM By Oliver Holt
At least one player believed to have felt gag aimed to stress passing to the winger against Poland had racist connotations
On top of the world: Hodgson hugs Andros Townsend at Wembley on Tuesday
Roy Hodgson has become involved in a bizarre row over a space monkey joke and England World Cup hero Andros Townsend.

England boss Hodgson - who is believed to be upset over reaction to the joke - told it in the Wembley changing rooms at halftime of the Three Lions’ dramatic qualifying victory over Poland on Tuesday.

It was intended to illustrate the idea that Hodgson wanted right-back Chris Smalling to play the ball more often to Townsend, who was terrorising the Polish defence.

But it is believed at one least one player was shocked, because he thought it carried racist connotations.

Both Hodgson and the FA are mortified that what they insist is a horrible misunderstanding has become an issue.

The joke, which Hodgson is believed to have told in full, is one that was popular at American space agency NASA.

“NASA decided they’d finally send a man up in a capsule after sending only monkeys in the earlier missions,” the joke goes.

“They fire the man and the monkey into space.

“The intercom crackles, 'Monkey, fire the retros.'

“A little later, 'Monkey, check the solid fuel supply.'

“Later still, “Monkey, check the life support systems for the man.'

“The astronaut takes umbrage and radioes NASA, 'When do I get to do something?'

“NASA replies, 'In 15 minutes - feed the monkey.'”

Hodgson was trying to use the joke to emphasise to the England team that Townsend, who was having another brilliant game, held the key to victory.

Townsend and his father, Troy - who works for the anti-racist Kick It Out organisation - are not thought to have been angered by the remarks, but could not be reached for comment at the time of writing.

Hodgson, who achieved perhaps the best moment of his career on Tuesday when England qualified for next year’s World Cup, is upset about the furore.

The joke is insensitive, perhaps, in the current highly charged racial climate in football.

But Hodgson is an urbane, enlightened man, who may now be regretting using the wrong analogy.
Benny The Noon

Postby babu » Thu Oct 17, 2013 2:22 am

ridiculous anyone's upset over that joke, if that was how it was told. So much more obvious racism around, people wanna take umbrage to that? move on.

On another matter, well done to the England team. As for the media bigging up the chances of winning the world cup, I think its the opposite based on what I have read. The media have been quite realistic of the teams chances, and I think that's a good thing, reduce the pressure on the team.

babu
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Kenny Kan » Thu Oct 17, 2013 3:30 am

babu » Thu Oct 17, 2013 1:22 am wrote:ridiculous anyone's upset over that joke, if that was how it was told. So much more obvious racism around, people wanna take umbrage to that? move on.

On another matter, well done to the England team. As for the media bigging up the chances of winning the world cup, I think its the opposite based on what I have read. The media have been quite realistic of the teams chances, and I think that's a good thing, reduce the pressure on the team.

It's a nothing story.
Champions of England 2020.

YNWA
Kenny Kan
LFC Super Member

Postby damjan193 » Thu Oct 17, 2013 8:40 am

You English are way too paranoid about this racism stuff. You say you want to "kick it out" but you constantly make a big deal out of nothing. That's definitely not helping.
damjan193
LFC Super Member

Postby SouthCoastShankly » Thu Oct 17, 2013 10:17 am

So I tried to take a punt at naming at an ideal 23 man squad -

Goalkeepers
Hart
Ruddy
Foster

Defenders
Johnson
Walker
Baines
Cole
Jagielka
Cahill
Lescott
Dawson

Midfielders
Gerrard
Lampard
Carrick
Wilshere
Townsend
Sterling
Oxlade-Chamberlain

Forwards
Rooney
Sturridge
Welbeck
Walcott
Carroll
SouthCoastShankly
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby jacdaniel » Thu Oct 17, 2013 11:16 am

England will do nothing of note in the world cup IMO
It will be the usual 2 banks of four from Roy, useless in posession and knocked out in the last 16 or QF... followed by blaming foreign players and managers and refusing to take any ownership.
"When you walk, through a storm, hold your head up high"
jacdaniel
LFC Super Member

Postby SouthCoastShankly » Thu Oct 17, 2013 11:44 am

jacdaniel » Thu Oct 17, 2013 10:16 am wrote:England will do nothing of note in the world cup IMO
It will be the usual 2 banks of four from Roy, useless in posession and knocked out in the last 16 or QF... followed by blaming foreign players and managers and refusing to take any ownership.

I don't think we'll win it, but I do think 4-4-2 is gone.

The last 2 games are testament to the fact that maybe Roy is erring towards a more attacking line up/approach.
SouthCoastShankly
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Benny The Noon » Thu Oct 17, 2013 12:25 pm

jacdaniel » Thu Oct 17, 2013 11:16 am wrote:England will do nothing of note in the world cup IMO

Agree - totally
Benny The Noon

Postby devaney » Fri Oct 18, 2013 12:48 pm

jacdaniel » Thu Oct 17, 2013 10:16 am wrote:England will do nothing of note in the world cup IMO

Anymore exciting predictions? :laugh:  Can't we just enjoy the fact that we have qualified. I'm not a massive fan of England or Hodgson but credit where it is due the team went through without losing a game. We all know they are far from the best in the world so why does it have to be constantly repeated. I'd just like to see the Liverpool lads do really well.
Net Spend Over The Last 5 Years (10 years
are in brackets)
LFC £255m (£467m)
Everton £38m (£287m)
Arsenal £645m6 (£925m)
Spurs £510m (£541m)
Chelsea £788m (£1007m)
Man City £307m (£1012m)
Man United £702m (£1249m)
devaney
LFC Super Member

Postby Kenny Kan » Fri Oct 18, 2013 3:26 pm

devaney » Fri Oct 18, 2013 11:48 am wrote:

Anymore exciting predictions? :laugh:  Can't we just enjoy the fact that we have qualified. I'm not a massive fan of England or Hodgson but credit where it is due the team went through without losing a game. We all know they are far from the best in the world so why does it have to be constantly repeated. I'd just like to see the Liverpool lads do really well.

I have no idea.
Champions of England 2020.

YNWA
Kenny Kan
LFC Super Member

Postby Benny The Noon » Fri Oct 18, 2013 3:31 pm

I guess that's what happens when we have over a decade of overreaction in the media - people get sick of seeing red tops glorifying the England Football Team every time a tournament comes around.

At the moment the press are staying calm but as it gets closer to Brazil the overhype will kick into overdrive until we once again go tumbling out to a better nation.
Benny The Noon

Postby Kharhaz » Fri Oct 18, 2013 10:36 pm

devaney » Fri Oct 18, 2013 12:48 pm wrote:

Its simply because of the petty hatred towards Roy Hodgson. The hypocrisy used when it comes to the England team now Roy is in charge is laughable. During the Olympics, so many on here were bleating about supporting our own and wanting our own to do well, yet when it came to the euros and England, well the Roy haters sang a different tune.
Bill Shankly: “I was the best manager in Britain because I was never devious or cheated anyone. I’d break my wife’s legs if I played against her, but I’d never cheat her.”
Kharhaz
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby devaney » Sat Oct 19, 2013 8:31 am

Kharhaz » Fri Oct 18, 2013 9:36 pm wrote:
devaney » Fri Oct 18, 2013 12:48 pm wrote:

Its simply because of the petty hatred towards Roy Hodgson. The hypocrisy used when it comes to the England team now Roy is in charge is laughable. During the Olympics, so many on here were bleating about supporting our own and wanting our own to do well, yet when it came to the euros and England, well the Roy haters sang a different tune.

Pathetic really isn't it mate. It's a shame but it does sum up the attitude of some supporters. i was no fan of Hodgson at Liverpool but at least I gave him a few months to see what he had to offer. Far too many supporters got on his back from day one and never gave him a chance. Supporters like that really do drive me to derision. Ironically Hodgson seems very popular in the England camp and has developed an excellent working relationship with Steve Gerrard who has always held him in high regard including his short time at Liverpool.
Net Spend Over The Last 5 Years (10 years
are in brackets)
LFC £255m (£467m)
Everton £38m (£287m)
Arsenal £645m6 (£925m)
Spurs £510m (£541m)
Chelsea £788m (£1007m)
Man City £307m (£1012m)
Man United £702m (£1249m)
devaney
LFC Super Member

Postby Benny The Noon » Sat Oct 19, 2013 8:41 am

Actually the dislike of the England started a long time before Hodgson got the job - around about the time Sven arrived and Beckham became Capt and the media hype exploded.

The dislike of England is very popular around the streets of Liverpool and on the stands

As for Hodgson - he showed a very poor attitude towards our club and treated both the fans and club  with a lack of respect - he was the beacon of the H & G reign. Rafa was sacked so that he could become manager and that didn't sit well with a lot of fans. He was our worst manager in a long time.
Benny The Noon

PreviousNext

Return to Football World Wide - General Discussion