Rep of ireland - How will we do?

International Football/Football World Wide - General Discussion

Postby greenred » Wed Oct 12, 2005 1:56 pm

Big match tonight.Win and Ireland are guaranteed at least second place,draw or lose and we`ll all be supporting England next year(the horror...the horror :D ).Unfortunately its twenty years since ive been this pessimistic about an Irish team,saturday was as poor a performance as i can remember.In all honesty we dont even deserve to qualify for the World Cup,we just havent performed to a sufficient standard.The fans deserve it though.The World Cup will be a lesser event without the expected sixty thousand wild Irish men and women.
ImageImageImage
greenred
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 66-1120597113 » Wed Oct 12, 2005 4:41 pm

greenred wrote:Big match tonight.Win and Ireland are guaranteed at least second place,draw or lose and we`ll all be supporting England next year(the horror...the horror :D ).Unfortunately its twenty years since ive been this pessimistic about an Irish team,saturday was as poor a performance as i can remember.In all honesty we dont even deserve to qualify for the World Cup,we just havent performed to a sufficient standard.The fans deserve it though.The World Cup will be a lesser event without the expected sixty thousand wild Irish men and women.

Ya never know fella! Good luck tonight although it does seem a huge task without Duff and Keane i reckon ROI may do it,dunno i just feel it in me bones!
It's the game i'll be watching as england dont really have much to play for as they have qualified already and my wee norn irn are out of it!
I think it will be a great game and at this stage all previous results are irrelevant so its really like a one off match with all to play for!!Oh and the home crowd will be a bonus!!   8 beers cooling as we speak  :nod
Good luck ROI :buttrock
66-1120597113

Postby DrTNT » Wed Oct 12, 2005 7:39 pm

Kick off is approaching and i can't wait!! I think that we can win if we play the way we played against france away.

Come on Ireland!!!
REST IN PEACE PHIL!
DrTNT

Postby 66-1120597113 » Wed Oct 12, 2005 7:44 pm

DrTNT wrote:Kick off is approaching and i can't wait!! I think that we can win if we play the we played against france away.

Come on Ireland!!!

3-1 RoI  Brendan!!  good luck !!!! Get a beer there fella :buttrock
66-1120597113

Postby DrTNT » Wed Oct 12, 2005 7:59 pm

BarryBelfast wrote:
DrTNT wrote:Kick off is approaching and i can't wait!! I think that we can win if we play the we played against france away.

Come on Ireland!!!

3-1 RoI  Brendan!!  good luck !!!! Get a beer there fella :buttrock

already a head of you there Barry
REST IN PEACE PHIL!
DrTNT

Postby greenred » Thu Oct 13, 2005 12:51 am

Ireland out.We have no one to blame but ourselves.The World Cup is the loser though.The Irish arent there :(  :(
ImageImageImage
greenred
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby greenred » Thu Oct 13, 2005 12:55 am

Martin O Neill please. :angry:  :angry:
ImageImageImage
greenred
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 66-1120597113 » Thu Oct 13, 2005 7:24 am

greenred wrote:Martin O Neill please. :angry:  :angry:

Id say kerr will be clearing out his office pretty soon!!Cant see o'neill taking the job though,dont feel he's finishd in club football just yet!!
Who are the main contenders for the job??? Any ideas?
66-1120597113

Postby JC_81 » Thu Oct 13, 2005 2:02 pm

Kerr has to go.  Most of the Ireland games I've watched since he took charge I feel we've looked disorganised, especially at the back, and especially in fixtures that we would be expected to win.

Good away performances against Switzerland and France aside, it was a pretty poor qualifying campaign.  Kerr can't get that extra 10% out of his team to turn draws into wins and he can't seem to influence the game with his substitutions.  Feel sorry for the guy because he's totally committed to his job, but he's not good enough.

The trouble will be attracting someone who can actually do better.

Candidates:  Roy Keane (depending on what club team he is playing for next season). O'Leary (can't see it really), O'Neill (doubt that, as far as I know his wife's still ill).

I wonder if Steve Staunton would ever move into management?  He's played at the top level for a long time and is familiar with the Irish set up.  He always seemed to have a good football brain on the pitch, maybe he could transmit this to management?
JC_81
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JBG » Thu Oct 13, 2005 11:02 pm

Ireland's form over the past 7 or 8 months has been the worst I can remember.

I know Ireland are going through transition and there is not the same level of talent as there was in the past, but Brian Kerr has a pool of about 16 or 17 (at least) Premiership players to pick from.

The form of the likes of John O' Shea, Robbie Keane and Steven Carr - good Premiership players - has been shocking. Steven Carr has looked like a pub player lately.
Jolly Bob Grumbine.
JBG
LFC Elite Member

Postby Big Niall » Fri Oct 14, 2005 1:20 pm

Ireland don't deserve to be there. The highest ranked team we've beaten under Kerr has been Albania.

He must go.

Who suggests Roy Keane as manager should be shot. What would would happen if the manager walks out on the team during the world cup.

David O'Leary would be good but I don't think he wants it. Joe Kinnear would be my choice as we are the wimbledon of internation football.
Big Niall
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 66-1120597113 » Fri Oct 14, 2005 1:29 pm

Yeah he does have to go!!
RoI have always been a team famous for a great passion and team spirit!
This was nowhere to be seen under Kerr..
Shame they never qualified cause their fans are great and love a party!!
66-1120597113

Postby LFC #1 » Fri Oct 14, 2005 3:00 pm

Big Niall wrote:Who suggests Roy Keane as manager should be shot.

Surely they woudln't even consider him? Would he even take the job anyway?

He should never have played for Ireland again IMO.
LFC #1
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby AlanHansen » Fri Oct 14, 2005 3:45 pm

Big Niall wrote:Who suggests Roy Keane as manager should be shot. What would would happen if the manager walks out on the team during the world cup.

I'd suggest him, He wouldn't be long giving a kick up the backside to all those blazer-ed up :censored: at the FAI.

He shouldn't do it though until he has some experience at club level.
AlanHansen

Postby JBG » Fri Oct 14, 2005 8:51 pm

Wrong job for Keane at this point in time.
Jolly Bob Grumbine.
JBG
LFC Elite Member

PreviousNext

Return to Football World Wide - General Discussion