Rep of ireland - How will we do?

International Football/Football World Wide - General Discussion

Postby LIVERPOOLTILLIDIE » Sat Oct 15, 2005 9:40 am

pity to see them go out but come on england this is our yr
LIVERPOOLTILLIDIE

Postby JC_81 » Mon Jan 09, 2006 6:11 pm

john craig wrote:Kerr has to go.  Most of the Ireland games I've watched since he took charge I feel we've looked disorganised, especially at the back, and especially in fixtures that we would be expected to win.

Good away performances against Switzerland and France aside, it was a pretty poor qualifying campaign.  Kerr can't get that extra 10% out of his team to turn draws into wins and he can't seem to influence the game with his substitutions.  Feel sorry for the guy because he's totally committed to his job, but he's not good enough.

The trouble will be attracting someone who can actually do better.

Candidates:  Roy Keane (depending on what club team he is playing for next season). O'Leary (can't see it really), O'Neill (doubt that, as far as I know his wife's still ill).

I wonder if Steve Staunton would ever move into management?  He's played at the top level for a long time and is familiar with the Irish set up.  He always seemed to have a good football brain on the pitch, maybe he could transmit this to management?

Just thought I'd bring this post up because I don't tend to get too many of these sort of predictions right!!

I suggested a while ago that Staunton may be worth a punt as Ireland manager as he is someone with a lot of experience as a player in the Ireland set-up.  Today the BBC website is saying that Staunton is set to be named as the new boss pretty soon, what are your thoughts on this??

I'd be happy enough personally if it happens.  I'm in favour of having an Irish boss and to be honest I can't think of any Irish managers already established who I would consider to be both good enough and likely to take the job.

He'd have the respect of the players, that's for sure, I'm not entirely certain our last 2 managers had that to be honest.  And as a bonus he's an ex-red as well!!

Ok he's inexperienced at that level, but so was Lawrie Sanchez and he's doing a great job for Northern Ireland at the moment.  I think it could be a good decision by the FAI.
JC_81
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby yckatbjywtbiastkamb » Mon Jan 09, 2006 8:47 pm

lawrie sanchez managed wycombe for a while and even took them on that great cup run (seem to remember a journeyman pro called essendoh(sp?) scoring a vital goal in that run), he`s not that inexperienced.
staunton was a classy player and does seem the thoughtfull type cut out for a managerial career but i`m surprised he got the job for the same reason i would have been surprised if keane had got the job.
the republic are regarded as a force in international football these days and i think they should have opted for a proven manager like o neill. admittedly in every managerial appointment is an element risk but there`s less risk in appointing an o neill or even an aldridge imo. the cynic in me cant help but think that the irish F.A. found that staunton wont command the type of wages that someone with a proven track record like martin o neill would.
hope stan does well and wish him all the best. who knows? maybe a future anfield boss is taking his first steps on the rocky road of football management.

You Can Shoot All The Blue Jays You Want To But Its A Sin To Kill A Mocking Bird
yckatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Super Member

Postby Mikz » Mon Jan 09, 2006 9:02 pm

Good spot there John Lad.
I have to say-I did raise an eyebrow when I heard Stevie Staunton had got the job,I dont picture him as managerial material,especially at international level when you consider his age experience etc.
I think he took Mccarthys side that time Keane walked, and now keanes away there should be no personality clashes, The players seem to like him ,hes a popular guy our Stan and I really really hope all goes well for him.
Id like to see an experienced hand in with him, but nevertheless I wish him all the best.
'' Gary lineker may well have scored 5 goals in 5 minutes , but i think you have to say, what else did he do '' ...Jimmy Hill
Mikz
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JBG » Mon Jan 09, 2006 10:52 pm

yckatbjywtbiastkamb wrote:the republic are regarded as a force in international football these days and i think they should have opted for a proven manager like o neill. admittedly in every managerial appointment is an element risk but there`s less risk in appointing an o neill or even an aldridge imo. the cynic in me cant help but think that the irish F.A. found that staunton wont command the type of wages that someone with a proven track record like martin o neill would.
hope stan does well and wish him all the best. who knows? maybe a future anfield boss is taking his first steps on the rocky road of football management.

O'Neill was first choice, money wasn't an issue, but he turned the FAI down.

Its becoming increasingly fashionable for former great players with no managerial experience to get international jobs. Marco Van Basten got no higher than youth team coach at Ajax when he got the Holland job.
Jolly Bob Grumbine.
JBG
LFC Elite Member

Postby Mikz » Mon Jan 09, 2006 10:59 pm

??? And Jurgen Klinssman too -whats that all about I say? Maybe all you need is a name now :D just sit like the president or prime minister ,let everyone around you make descisions for you -and you turn up on match days ..and smile like this- :D
'' Gary lineker may well have scored 5 goals in 5 minutes , but i think you have to say, what else did he do '' ...Jimmy Hill
Mikz
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JBG » Tue Jan 10, 2006 12:18 am

Mikz wrote: ??? And Jurgen Klinssman too -whats that all about I say? Maybe all you need is a name now :D just sit like the president or prime minister ,let everyone around you make descisions for you -and you turn up on match days ..and smile like this- :D

Is the rumour true that Klinsmann still lives in California and flies over to Germany to manage their national side?  ???
Jolly Bob Grumbine.
JBG
LFC Elite Member

Postby yckatbjywtbiastkamb » Tue Jan 10, 2006 12:21 am

JBG wrote:
yckatbjywtbiastkamb wrote:the republic are regarded as a force in international football these days and i think they should have opted for a proven manager like o neill. admittedly in every managerial appointment is an element risk but there`s less risk in appointing an o neill or even an aldridge imo. the cynic in me cant help but think that the irish F.A. found that staunton wont command the type of wages that someone with a proven track record like martin o neill would.

Its becoming increasingly fashionable for former great players with no managerial experience to get international jobs. Marco Van Basten got no higher than youth team coach at Ajax when he got the Holland job.

didnt know that MON had turned the post down.
hope his wife is getting better and i wish them all the best.
regarding those high profile managers with little coaching experience, well, in the case of holland i think they were looking for a figurehead so respected by the other players that they wouldnt moan if they were left out the team. infighting and clashes of ego have scuppered the dutch world cup hopes in recent years and i think the dutch f.a have sacrificed a bit of on the field organisation for off the field calm.

You Can Shoot All The Blue Jays You Want To But Its A Sin To Kill A Mocking Bird
yckatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Super Member

Postby JBG » Tue Jan 10, 2006 12:25 am

yckatbjywtbiastkamb wrote:
JBG wrote:

didnt know that MON had turned the post down.
hope his wife is getting better and i wish them all the best.
regarding those high profile managers with little coaching experience, well, in the case of holland i think they were looking for a figurehead so respected by the other players that they wouldnt moan if they were left out the team. infighting and clashes of ego have scuppered the dutch world cup hopes in recent years and i think the dutch f.a have sacrificed a bit of on the field organisation for off the field calm.

I heard O' Neill was offered the job about a month before Kerr was sacked.
Jolly Bob Grumbine.
JBG
LFC Elite Member

Postby greenred » Tue Jan 10, 2006 12:57 am

Im living in France so im a bit behind the news from Ireland.Im staggered to hear Steve Staunton is the new Ireland boss,dont understand it at all.He`s got no management experience,none whatsoever...How did he manage to wangle the job?He`s a sensitive chap as well.Jim Beglin made some remark about him on tv and Stan hasnt talked to him since.That was over ten bleedin years ago.I really hope we`ve made the right choice here and not the lazy choice just cos he`s an ex Ireland international.
ImageImageImage
greenred
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JBG » Tue Jan 10, 2006 1:07 am

greenred wrote:Im living in France so im a bit behind the news from Ireland.Im staggered to hear Steve Staunton is the new Ireland boss,dont understand it at all.He`s got no management experience,none whatsoever...How did he manage to wangle the job?He`s a sensitive chap as well.Jim Beglin made some remark about him on tv and Stan hasnt talked to him since.That was over ten bleedin years ago.I really hope we`ve made the right choice here and not the lazy choice just cos he`s an ex Ireland international.

Its an Irish solution to an Irish problem.  :D
Jolly Bob Grumbine.
JBG
LFC Elite Member

Postby greenred » Tue Jan 10, 2006 1:41 am

Ive got no option but to give him the benefit of the doubt JBG,we`ve got no power after all.Im really worried though.Christ,Terry Venables would have been better than this :D
ImageImageImage
greenred
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Mikz » Tue Jan 10, 2006 2:51 am

I thought Bobby Robson was supposed to be taking the job alongside him, to help him along -give advice etc -but theres been no mention of ol Bob today. :(
Mikz
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby greenred » Tue Jan 10, 2006 2:57 am

Mikz wrote:I thought Bobby Robson was supposed to be taking the job alongside him, to help him along -give advice etc -but theres been no mention of ol Bob today. :(

I could live with that Mikz.Even better would be Sir Bobby in the main job and Stan as assistant.Seems money is the main factor though.
ImageImageImage
greenred
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby greenred » Tue Jan 10, 2006 4:08 am

You were right mizk....... Staunton handed Republic manager's job in tandem with old hand Robson

Jon Brodkin and Matt Scott
Tuesday January 10, 2006
The Guardian

Steve Staunton yesterday agreed to become Ireland's manager. The former Liverpool and Aston Villa player is set to form a management team alongside Sir Bobby Robson in an attempt to lead Ireland to qualification for Euro 2008 in Austria and Switzerland.
The pair were in advanced negotiations last night, though the Football Association of Ireland had been hoping to keep the news quiet before announcing the appointments at the end of this week or possibly early next week. Staunton will be offered a four-year contract, with the FAI considering a two-year deal for Robson, who has yet to give his complete agreement to take on the role.

Article continues

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The FAI has a high regard for Robson's work in helping to groom Jose Mourinho as a manager in Portugal and Spain and hopes he can repeat the feat with Staunton. Certainly Staunton would benefit from having a more experienced consultant by his side - though he has been working as a coach at Walsall this season, he has never held a senior management role. That rawness notwithstanding, the FAI was impressed by Staunton's ideas in interview and feels that having played 102 times for his country, including every single game Ireland has ever contested in World Cup finals, he has plenty of experience to fall back on.
Staunton was not, however, the FAI's first choice. The dream candidates would have been Martin O'Neill and Guus Hiddink but they rejected Dublin's overtures. Roy Keane was made unavailable by his move to Celtic and the FAI then chose not to pursue Terry Venables' application.

It is believed Staunton will make Alan Kelly his first appointment, probably as goalkeeping coach. Should the duo be officially confirmed, their first game would be a Lansdowne Road friendly against Sweden on March 1.

Staunton sided with the former Republic manager Mick McCarthy in the dispute with Roy Keane on the Pacific island of Saipan, which resulted in the then Manchester United player walking out on the Ireland squad just before the 2002 World Cup finals. Keane has since retired from the international game.

Staunton joined Liverpool in September 1986 from Dundalk. He enjoyed two spells at Aston Villa, between 1991 and 1998 and 2000 and 2003, returning to Anfield in 1998-2000. The 36-year-old has also played for Bradford and Crystal Palace on loan, Coventry and Walsall.

Robson cut his managerial teeth at Fulham before joining Ipswich in 1969 - leading the Suffolk side to FA Cup success in 1978, two runners-up finishes in the old First Division and a Uefa Cup triumph in 1981. He took on the England job in 1982 and took the team to the 1986 World Cup quarter-finals and an epic semi-final against West Germany in 1990. Robson moved on to PSV Eindhoven, had a successful stint with Sporting Lisbon and Porto, led Barcelona to the European Cup Winners' Cup and returned to PSV. His last job was as Newcastle manager from 1999-2004.

The Republic striker Clinton Morrison gave his backing to the possible appointment, insisting Staunton would be welcomed by the players, several of whom played alongside him. "He helped a lot of the young players when I was around him, and I hope he still likes me," said Morrison. "He was friendly with all the players and got on with them, and it'll be difficult for him. But I think he's a professional man and he knows he's there as a manager."
ImageImageImage
greenred
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to Football World Wide - General Discussion