Real sociedad - Life in segunda

International Football/Football World Wide - General Discussion

Postby Sabre » Wed Jan 16, 2008 3:48 pm

Chris Coleman will announce he walks away in three hours.

The reason? The chairman sacked his man of confidence in the club, Iriarte, and Coleman cannot take any other demand from Pako and Badiola.

I can understand Coleman decission, and I'm very sad. He was left no option, and he has earnt my deep respect.

Good luck Chris Coleman and Steve Kean, you've done a good work.
SOS member #1499

Drummerphil, never forgotten.
Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby LFC2007 » Wed Jan 16, 2008 5:13 pm

Sabre wrote:Chris Coleman will announce he walks away in three hours.

The reason? The chairman sacked his man of confidence in the club, Iriarte, and Coleman cannot take any other demand from Pako and Badiola.

I can understand Coleman decission, and I'm very sad. He was left no option, and he has earnt my deep respect.

That's a joke.

All this fecking about above managers' heads  :no
LFC2007

Postby Sabre » Wed Jan 16, 2008 5:32 pm

LFC2007 wrote:
Sabre wrote:Chris Coleman will announce he walks away in three hours.

That's a joke.

All this fecking about above managers' heads  :no

There's a bit of background on the story. The main problem was that Pako wanted signing ups, and Coleman strangely didn't. Since then their relationship was complicated. And the sacking of a Coleman's man of confidence has made the decission.

Coleman walks away, and doesn't want to be paid anything.

Anyhow, Coleman has shown he's a good man, a man with word, and a valiant man aswell.
SOS member #1499

Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby LFC2007 » Wed Jan 16, 2008 6:32 pm

I think it's a joke tbh mate, I hate chairmen/directors of sport/general managers etc.. fecking about above managers' heads. You exploy the guy, you let him get on with the job FFS, don't interfere.

It's certainly something more common on the continent.

Will Pako now take over?
LFC2007

Postby Sabre » Wed Jan 16, 2008 7:35 pm

I see where you're coming from mate. The way the new board see the situation, they have received the support of the fans in stockholders, they have a new project, different means to get the goals (Coleman wanted a steady recovery and promote in 2 years, work with youngsters, the new board wants to promote inmediatly with signing ups) and those are incompatible.

Coleman is a top top man, though. So is his sidekick Kean.

Pako can't take the job coach. He has a contract with Liverpool F.C. Liverpool have allowed kindly to Pako to assist Real Sociedad and to be in RS board, but Pako cannot take any coach job. CAndidates for coach now are Irureta (well known) and Quique Sanchez Flores, ex Valencia coach.
SOS member #1499

Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby account deleted by request » Fri Jan 18, 2008 4:04 am

Forget Newcastle, it's been a circus in Spain, says Coleman
Last updated at 22:15pm on 17th January 2008

At this time of the week I'm normally stuck inside the flat watching tapes of our opponents with Steve Kean, discussing their strengths and weaknesses, talking about set-pieces and how we'll line up.

Instead, we drove over the border to a small town in France on Thursday night for a quiet meal. This week has been a real circus. It feels strange to no longer be the manager of Real Sociedad but one or two things happened to change our minds after we'd agreed to work with the new president.

I had to swallow my pride by accepting I wouldn't buy and sell my own players. Originally, I was promised I could but it didn't happen. The first player in wasn't mine.

Then I was told the staff would all stay but on my way back from a trip to England to see Belinda and the children I got a phone call to say the sporting director, Salva Iriate, had gone. We were being told one thing and then the exact opposite would happen.

The sports pages were full of the battle between me and the president and the atmosphere at the club had changed when I got back. We were in the middle of a political nightmare.

Normally there's a great atmosphere after a win. All the doors are thrown open and everyone is happy. But when we got back, all the doors were closed.

In the media, no one was talking about one defeat in 10 or tomorrow's game against Cordoba. It has all been about the power struggle and it was only going to get worse.

I think there were too many contradictions for them. I said I'd go and then I stayed and they dug me out about that. I was probably wrong to try to work under a programme I didn't believe in. The people who were going to lose out were the players.

We talked it over, Keano and I, and decided the right thing to do was to step down. I explained our position to the captain but the president was in Madrid on business.

Our lawyers contacted him but we didn't get a phone call back. He tried to call me on Thursday to talk but that was closing the door after the horse had bolted.

It's been an experience, you can say that. But it's done our confidence the world of good, working under such pressure and leaving the club fifth in the league and looking good for promotion. I hope they go up. The players deserve it.

I'll fly home this weekend to see the family and come back next week to tie up some bits and bobs. Then I'll think about the future. Things come out of the blue in football. I won't rule out working in Spain again but I would want to be in the top division.

Some people thought, because of the timing, I was off to Newcastle to join up with Kevin Keegan again. Newcastle are a fantastic club and Kevin is a man I respect, but I'd be a very poor No.2. I wouldn't entertain that after five years as a No.1.Image
Last edited by account deleted by request on Fri Jan 18, 2008 4:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
account deleted by request

Postby Sabre » Fri Jan 18, 2008 12:36 pm

From where he sits, Coleman is spot on. I'm one of those who supported him.

The thing is, that the political war that he describes was coming for a long time. You mates have a Parry, imagine a board staff of Parrys, that's what we've had for years with the support of the local press. It's as if you had the club progresively going down, while the Liverpool echo said everything was right.

So Coleman came, and was give 0 money. Coleman was convinced by Toshack to work with youngsters. He supported the youngsters. He converted a squad with morale in the ground, to a squad that believes. He simply has done a remarkable job.

And suddenly, a new chairman comes with Pako Aiestaran. And starts to criticise what all the supporters have been criticising all these years, the stablishment. That stablishment, the only right thing they've done in 4 years is the appointment of Coleman. And that was thanks to Toshack, not themselves.

Of course, Coleman just sticked to his work, to what he had been told. Everything he says about not being offered to decide the signing ups is true. In fact, almost everything he says is the truth, he just has come in the worst moment. :(
SOS member #1499

Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Sabre » Tue Jan 22, 2008 4:18 pm

Pako has left. Yanno, be careful when you want a staff out, because then the one who come might be worse.

The new president seems to be a bit dictatorial, and has decided that the proposal for head coach that Pako has done wasn't good enough as he's completely unknown. So Pako of course has left.

Do not ask me again about my local club. I don't want to know anything about the president, nor anything he says. He has failed me. I'll focus on supporting the lads in the stadium, but I don't give a damn about the people at charge. What a shame. I feel real shame.
SOS member #1499

Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Bad Bob » Tue Jan 22, 2008 4:22 pm

Sabre wrote:Pako has left. Yanno, be careful when you want a staff out, because then the one who come might be worse.

The new president seems to be a bit dictatorial, and has decided that the proposal for head coach that Pako has done wasn't good enough as he's completely unknown. So Pako of course has left.

Do not ask me again about my local club. I don't want to know anything about the president, nor anything he says. He has failed me. I'll focus on supporting the lads in the stadium, but I don't give a damn about the people at charge. What a shame. I feel real shame.

Good lord, mate...what is going on with the world of football these days?  The inmates are running the fecking asylum. :no
Bad Bob
LFC Guru Member

Postby Sabre » Tue Jan 22, 2008 4:24 pm

It's more than a circus. It's a festival. A festival of shame.

I liked Coleman, I loved Pako, I have none now. I feel shame, mostly.
SOS member #1499

Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby LFC2007 » Tue Jan 22, 2008 10:45 pm

Pako has left. Yanno, be careful when you want a staff out, because then the one who come might be worse.

...you don't know what you've got till it's gone.
LFC2007

Postby Keris » Wed Jan 23, 2008 3:24 am

Sabre wrote:The new president seems to be a bit dictatorial, and has decided that the proposal for head coach that Pako has done wasn't good enough as he's completely unknown. So Pako of course has left.

Is that what it takes for Pako to leave his new job? a disagreement? 

p.s; hypothetically i wonder what will happen should pako return to liverpool??  :glare:
Keris
LFC Super Member

Postby Sabre » Fri Jan 25, 2008 11:06 pm

It was an important disagreement though, he was told he'd have all the football related decissions and they didn't rely on him too much. Some people around here justify that lack of confidence in the fact he refused to sign a contract longer than 6 months, and in that he requested to live in Liverpool half of the time. But personally I think that's bóllocks and I'm ashamed and deflated.

I'll focus on the pitch from now on, the young lads are the best thing this club has.

I've found an SPanish tv clip of about 17 years ago. It's in Spanish, but you can see a few images of Aldo training, and you can see aswell Aldo talking in Spanish, which you might find funny :)

Aldo speaks spanish, true

He was a legend around here. Loved by the fans, and when you hear him in Spanish, you're astonished of how humble he is.

In the interview he admitted he was ashamed for the money RS played for a 30 year old player, about 1M pounds of the time, how much has changed football market! that's nothing today.

In the interview he says aswell he would like to play in Liverpool all his life and the fact of leaving was a hard moment for him, but he reckons it was too difficult to play at the time with Beardsley and Rush in the team.

Legend wherever he goes. I'll always owe him that he introduced me to Liverpool further
Last edited by Sabre on Fri Jan 25, 2008 11:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SOS member #1499

Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby LFC2007 » Mon Jan 28, 2008 1:04 am

I found this; Coleman explains his reasons for resigning:

Chris Coleman would have no hesitation in heading back to Spain.

The former Fulham boss resigned as Real Sociedad manager earlier this month after just six months into a three-year contract.

Coleman said he was left with no alternative by incoming president Inaki Badiola but despite the disappointment is ready to give it another go - possibly with a Premiera Division club.

"We've had some interest from Spain, from the league above," he told Goals on Sunday.

"But we can't do anything until the summer because the rule there is if you've managed one club during a season you can't then go to another club in that same season.

"My assistant Steve Kean is a very good coach and he speaks the lingo which helps, so I'd go back to Spain and I wouldn't think twice about it."

Confidence

Coleman was the surprise choice for the Basque club at the beginning of the season, but after a slow start had guided them to fifth spot, within a point of the promotion places.

Sociedad had lost just once since September, but having offered his resignation when Maria de la Pena - who appointed him - resigned, he said the time was right to quit when he and assistant Steve Kean found out just what the new man was all about.

"It was a shame because we'd only lost one in 11 games and once since September," he said.

"We were only a point away from the team in third and the team was playing well and growing in confidence. We'd had eight or nine debutants from the academy team, so really we were doing great.

"But the president promised I could sign the players and that obviously wasn't the case with the new signing - he wasn't mine. He also said he would leave my staff alone and 24 hours later he sacked my sporting director.

"For me then, the trust and harmony was gone and it was the best thing to do because I didn't believe in his programme. It was the right time.

"We had a three-year contract and were six months into that. But we never went to Spain for the money, we went there for the experience, to see if we could pit our wits against the foreign boys if you like."

Link 

The new president fu.cking about over his head basically.

It simply shouldn't happen in football.
LFC2007

Postby Ciggy » Wed Jan 30, 2008 4:17 pm

Wel well well look who was at the youth Fa Cup game last night :D

There is no-one anywhere in the world at any stage who is any bigger or any better than this football club.

Kenny Dalglish 1/2/2011

REST IN PEACE PHIL, YOU WILL NEVER BE FORGOTTEN.
Ciggy
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to Football World Wide - General Discussion