Lionel messi > diego maradona ? - Similar goals....

International Football/Football World Wide - General Discussion

Postby red37 » Mon Apr 23, 2007 7:16 am

Zidane and Pele pi55 all over Maradona. And our King Kenny an all   :cool:

TITANS of HOPE
red37
LFC Guru Member

Postby 66-1112520797 » Mon Apr 23, 2007 9:31 am

I cant stand the overweight w@nker, but I have to be honest and say he was one of the best footballers ever on the planet. Like him or not, I DONT he still was one of the best if not the best. I cant believe how so many dont agree, I reckon its the hand of God thing thats help made your judgement on him.
As truly brilliant as Zidane and Pele were with the ball I dont think they match up to Diego in all honesty.

Pele though is a legend more so though ???  A true gent of the game who played football in the right way, wasnt dirty, wasnt mouthy or anything he just got on with the game and played brilliant football with it. Thats why, to me he is more of a legend for football as a whole than Maradonna EVER was, although Maradonna was a better footballer. Get my drift ???
66-1112520797

Postby Big Niall » Mon Apr 23, 2007 1:26 pm

red37 wrote:Zidane and Pele pi55 all over Maradona. And our King Kenny an all   :cool:

Stupid post mate.

I think Maradonna is the greatest player ever. Pele had a great team around him, Zidane was the best player in the world in his time but never at the same level as Diego and Kenny is a legend but was never the best player in the world.

If every player who ever cheated was discounted there'd be nobody left.

Great goal by Messi but I've never seen any player come close to Maradonna (Romario probably the closest in style, Zidane in ability)
Big Niall
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Big Niall » Mon Apr 23, 2007 1:29 pm

The Manhattan Project wrote:
Ahhh he don't impress you .. so-f'ukin-well what 'soccer boy',  as I said you wouldn't know good football if it hit ya on the face.

Oh please.

Argentina's significant sporting successes:

1- World Cup 1978, yawn, home turf victory. It's been done many times.

2- World Cup 1986, couldn't even beat England without adopting the interesting "throw the ball into the net" tactic.

There ain't no 'greatest footballer' debate with out Diego ..   and that's a fact - a footballing world fact

To deny the talent is to be declared 'a blind ignaramous'   and that on a football forum too !

Only to and from those who really don't think about it critically and honestly. "Greatest" means more to me than cheating to win one World Cup, disgracing oneself at another, and participating in the most shameful World Cup final of the modern era.

Oh and I'm sure there are plenty of people on this forum who "can't control how many cheeseburgers [t]he[y] eat." are fat, or overwieght and suffer some sort of addiction, whom you have offended too - nice one soccer boy

Manhattan doesn't care about the burger-related weaknesses of others. If Maradona wants to eat, drink and snort himself into oblivion, then so be it.

Hey fool - watch some tapes of small club Napoli in the toughest league in the world at that time. Maradonna was in a different class every week for a number of years.

He was more than just world cups.

Know your stuff before you speak bo11ox :angry:
Big Niall
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby zarababe » Mon Apr 23, 2007 7:46 pm

Big Niall wrote:
Ahhh he don't impress you .. so-f'ukin-well what 'soccer boy',  as I said you wouldn't know good football if it hit ya on the face.

Oh please.

Argentina's significant sporting successes:

1- World Cup 1978, yawn, home turf victory. It's been done many times.

2- World Cup 1986, couldn't even beat England without adopting the interesting "throw the ball into the net" tactic.

There ain't no 'greatest footballer' debate with out Diego ..   and that's a fact - a footballing world fact

To deny the talent is to be declared 'a blind ignaramous'   and that on a football forum too !

Only to and from those who really don't think about it critically and honestly. "Greatest" means more to me than cheating to win one World Cup, disgracing oneself at another, and participating in the most shameful World Cup final of the modern era.

Oh and I'm sure there are plenty of people on this forum who "can't control how many cheeseburgers [t]he[y] eat." are fat, or overwieght and suffer some sort of addiction, whom you have offended too - nice one soccer boy

Manhattan doesn't care about the burger-related weaknesses of others. If Maradona wants to eat, drink and snort himself into oblivion, then so be it.

Hey fool - watch some tapes of small club Napoli in the toughest league in the world at that time. Maradonna was in a different class every week for a number of years.

Know your stuff before you speak bo11ox :angry:

Blimey thank god for some sense Nial  - I can't believe the cr.ap people sometime write - how can anyone deny the talent  :no

Honestly - magical, no heavenly football was what Diego played - inspired an ordinary team of Argies to grow and grow in a world cup that he himself dominated - oh and of course no-one has scored a goal with their hands or dived for a penalty etc etc .. people need to get real.

and to compare a 'footballing genius' to Darwin etc etc  :D just shows the level of knowledge on the issue.

Diego Maradona was one of the best ever footballing geniuses - flawed yes on a personal level - and for those who appreciate the talent there is a sense of frustration and anger at how he has plundered and destroyed himself and those around him too. But the issue that he fights with are social issues etc etc.

Love him or hate him he is the greatest not Zidane, Pele as Big Niall rightly said palyed alongside a great team of Brazilians, me ma can name them all too, but Pele and Maradona are perhaps at best on a par, with Diego shading it for many ( Boobby Charltpon for e.g) the rest are in the shadows.

AWESOME simply AWESOME - I'll never forget the enjoymnet he gave when he played heavenly football - FANTASTIC PLAYER.  :bowdown
THE BRENDAN REVOLUTION IS UPON US !

KING KENNY.. Always LEGEND !

RAFA.. MADE THE PEOPLE HAPPY !

Miss YOU Phil-Drummer - RIP YNWA

zarababe
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby The Manhattan Project » Tue Apr 24, 2007 1:07 am

Big deal. He was in a club that won the Italian League twice and a UEFA Cup.

So what?

Where were the European Cup successes?

Know your stuff before you speak bo11ox

-laughs-

"bo11ox"

Textspeak insults.

:laugh:

Blimey thank god for some sense Nial  - I can't believe the cr.ap people sometime write - how can anyone deny the talent

It's quite simple, once you apply a subjective view to it.

Quit worshipping a cheating drug addict as your hero and you'll see things in a whole new light.

Honestly - magical, no heavenly football was what Diego played - inspired an ordinary team of Argies to grow and grow in a world cup that he himself dominated - oh and of course no-one has scored a goal with their hands or dived for a penalty etc etc .. people need to get real.

Oh yes of course, handballing a goal is heavenly and magical.

Doesn't it feel hollow to know that you support a team and a nation who will always be tainted by the scandal of foul play? From 1978 questions still persist about the Peru game. From 1986 it's the "hand of God" (what an insult to "God"). I wonder if Argentina could actually win a World Cup without bringing shame to the international game?

and to compare a 'footballing genius' to Darwin etc etc   just shows the level of knowledge on the issue.

That's true. I apologise for making such an absurd comparison. It was terribly unfair on Darwin, who wasn't a cheating drug addict.

Diego Maradona was one of the best ever footballing geniuses - flawed yes on a personal level - and for those who appreciate the talent there is a sense of frustration and anger at how he has plundered and destroyed himself and those around him too. But the issue that he fights with are social issues etc etc.

Oh yes, what a great role model he is to young Argentines.

Kids, if you grow up to be a successful cheat, you too can turn to drugs!

Love him or hate him he is the greatest not Zidane, Pele as Big Niall rightly said palyed alongside a great team of Brazilians, me ma can name them all too, but Pele and Maradona are perhaps at best on a par, with Diego shading it for many ( Boobby Charltpon for e.g) the rest are in the shadows.

The shadow of what? Maradona's immense gut hanging over his waistline?

AWESOME simply AWESOME - I'll never forget the enjoymnet he gave when he played heavenly football - FANTASTIC PLAYER.

I guess Argentina is devoid of heroes and role models.

So you have to make do with what you've got.
china syndrome 80512640 reactor meltdown fusion element
no uniquely indefinable one 5918 identification unknown 113
source transmission 421 general panic hysteria 02 outbreak
foreign mutation 001505 maximum code destruction nuclear
reflection 01044 power plutonium helix atomic energy wave
The Manhattan Project
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Sabre » Tue Apr 24, 2007 1:25 am

While I'm much closer to what Zarababe and Big Niall think about Maradona, I think that Manhattan puts his point better, because he doesn't need to call anyone fool.

His point is considering a player as a whole, considering more aspects that we do.

Some other aspects of Maradona's life, like his supposed relationship with "La Camorra Napolitana" (mafia) do not speak well about him neither, but I choose to focus on his football. However I don't consider foolish other posters consider that to have an opinion.
SOS member #1499

Drummerphil, never forgotten.
Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Big Niall » Tue Apr 24, 2007 1:21 pm

I didn't call him a fool for not thinking that Maradonna was the greatest footballer ever but for thinking that he wasn't even a contender.

I don't think Muhammid Ali is the greatest boxer ever but you'd have to mention him in the discussion.

If I was English I'd be p1ssed off about the hand ball but England cheated all match long with their fouls, Fenwick elbowed him in the face earlier.

Does Zidane's head butt mean that he wasn't a great player, every other player that dived.

We are judging the footballer - not the man. I don't like the man but the footballer is the best I've ever seen with something to spare.
Big Niall
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby LFC #1 » Tue Apr 24, 2007 1:47 pm

Big Niall wrote:I didn't call him a fool for not thinking that Maradonna was the greatest footballer ever but for thinking that he wasn't even a contender.

I don't think Muhammid Ali is the greatest boxer ever but you'd have to mention him in the discussion.

If I was English I'd be p1ssed off about the hand ball but England cheated all match long with their fouls, Fenwick elbowed him in the face earlier.

Does Zidane's head butt mean that he wasn't a great player, every other player that dived.

We are judging the footballer - not the man. I don't like the man but the footballer is the best I've ever seen with something to spare.

Exactly. I supect if he wasn't Argentine and hadn't "cheated" against England then their wouldn't even be this debate.

Maradona, Pele, Zidane - the 3 who I would consider to be the greatest ever.

Cruyff, Van Basten, Eusebio, Puskas, Ronaldo, Romario, Best and Beckenbauer all deserve a mention too.
LFC #1
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Ace Ventura » Tue Apr 24, 2007 4:30 pm

He is the best footballer i have ever seen no doubt about it.
Some of the runs he used to make (rather like Messi now) the ball seemed glued to his foot.

He was obviously a cheat and had many problems with his personal life, as he still does it seems-but as a footballer anyone growing up in the 80's knows he was by a mile the best about. A player that could change a game on his own.

ALLLRIGHTY THEN !!
Ace Ventura
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Big Niall » Tue Apr 24, 2007 5:41 pm

I remember reading John Barnes book and he said he applauded Maradonna's goal. He said that usually he'd be a bit jealous when a contemporary scored a great goal but never viewd Maradonna as being a contemporary i.e. his skill levels were on another planet to every one else's.

When the legendary John Barnes feels like that, then that is a great compliment.
Big Niall
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby zarababe » Tue Apr 24, 2007 7:47 pm

On comparisons of Ronaldo to Pele and Maradona...
Paul Merson: "Well I didn't see Pele..."
Peter Reid: "...and I didn't see Maradona!"
Lightning response by Reid - one of the men left for dead by Maradona during that goal for Argentina against England.  :D

oh and Mahattan thinks I'm an Argie :D  :laugh: of course  i must be if I think Maradona's the greatest cos no-one other than the Argies worship the talent :D dooooh!

You need to read back what you wrote 'soccer-boy'  it's shameful to deny the greatest ever footballer - and that on a football forum of Liverpool supporters who actually applaud opposing players - because they and I recognise good football when witnessed there's "V" two fingers to ya :p
Last edited by zarababe on Tue Apr 24, 2007 7:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

zarababe
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby The Manhattan Project » Wed Apr 25, 2007 12:03 am

oh and Mahattan thinks I'm an Argie    of course  i must be if I think Maradona's the greatest cos no-one other than the Argies worship the talent  dooooh!

I think the Argentines blindly worship him, above all others, which is understandable, even though it shows bias obviously.

Maybe you are a spiritual Argentine?

You need to read back what you wrote 'soccer-boy'  it's shameful to deny the greatest ever footballer -

First of all, I'm not sure why you persist with this term "soccer-boy". Is it supposed to be some kind of witty incisive insult? Maybe in your mind it is. I rarely use the term "soccer" and even if I did, it is an English term, which derives from the word "association" football. So it's not a big deal.

Secondly, I certainly deny he's the greatest ever footballer. He was a good player, albeit a cheat. But he has nothing to mark him out as the best ever. In international terms Ronaldo can state a greater claim IMO. Record scorer in the World Cup. How about Gerd Muller? Second highest goalscorer in the World Cup. World Cup winner in 1974. EURO 72 winner. Bundesliga champion three times. Part of Bayern's European Cup winning team of 1974, 1975, 1976. What about Pele? Three time world champion. What about Johan Cruijff? Part of Ajax's three time European Champion team of 1971, 1972, and 1973 and Zinedine Zidane? Champions League winner. World Cup winner. EURO 2000 winner.

and that on a football forum of Liverpool supporters who actually applaud opposing players - because they and I recognise good football when witnessed there's "V" two fingers to ya

I applaud opposing players, but I like to keep things in perspective too, using fact and evidence.

Maradona.

Good player? Of course.

Cheat? Definately.

Best player ever? Nope.
Last edited by The Manhattan Project on Wed Apr 25, 2007 12:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
china syndrome 80512640 reactor meltdown fusion element
no uniquely indefinable one 5918 identification unknown 113
source transmission 421 general panic hysteria 02 outbreak
foreign mutation 001505 maximum code destruction nuclear
reflection 01044 power plutonium helix atomic energy wave
The Manhattan Project
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby GOAT » Wed Apr 25, 2007 12:19 am

oh and Mahattan thinks I'm an Argie    of course  i must be if I think Maradona's the greatest cos no-one other than the Argies worship the talent  dooooh!

I think the Argentines blindly worship him, above all others, which is understandable, even though it shows bias obviously.

Maybe you are a spiritual Argentine?

You need to read back what you wrote 'soccer-boy'  it's shameful to deny the greatest ever footballer -

First of all, I'm not sure why you persist with this term "soccer-boy". Is it supposed to be some kind of witty incisive insult? Maybe in your mind it is. I rarely use the term "soccer" and even if I did, it is an English term, which derives from the word "association" football. So it's not a big deal.

Secondly, I certainly deny he's the greatest ever footballer. He was a good player, albeit a cheat. But he has nothing to mark him out as the best ever. In international terms Ronaldo can state a greater claim IMO. Record scorer in the World Cup. How about Gerd Muller? Second highest goalscorer in the World Cup. World Cup winner in 1974. EURO 72 winner. Bundesliga champion three times. Part of Bayern's European Cup winning team of 1974, 1975, 1976. What about Pele? Three time world champion. What about Johan Cruijff? Part of Ajax's three time European Champion team of 1971, 1972, and 1973 and Zinedine Zidane? Champions League winner. World Cup winner. EURO 2000 winner.

and that on a football forum of Liverpool supporters who actually applaud opposing players - because they and I recognise good football when witnessed there's "V" two fingers to ya

I applaud opposing players, but I like to keep things in perspective too, using fact and evidence.

Maradona.

Good player? Of course.

Cheat? Definately.

Best player ever? Nope.

Funny how you go back to how hes a cheat, drug addict and what hes won all the time, do them things make him a great/sh.it footballer?
Image  Image

YNWA
GOAT

Postby zarababe » Wed Apr 25, 2007 12:21 am

:D :laugh: that's a funny post and the sad thing is you actually believe it ?

You deny Maradona's greatness - even though the people you happily quote above (living of course) have declared him the best :D

You don't like him so you don't rate him - admit it. But don't destort debate that has been had and done ! Digo is the one of the bets footballers to have ever palyed the beautiful game - to have acheived the level of skill he did is but a dream of many good players - a plateau many will not reach.

and.. it's a topis which personally, as you know from my sig etc - is close to me heart - so apologies for any insults but hay - this ios what makes our game great ay - it's all about opionions and.. mine counts :p :D

zarababe
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to Football World Wide - General Discussion