The england starting 11 for the 2006 world cup - The dilemmas faced

International Football/Football World Wide - General Discussion

Postby RichardLFC1 » Sat Apr 29, 2006 6:08 pm

Owen has broken his metatarcel again ffs

RIP DRUMMERPHIL
RichardLFC1
LFC Super Member

Postby RichardLFC1 » Sat Apr 29, 2006 7:43 pm

Roeder has said that it is no worries and he and owen are both 100 % Sure that he will make the world cup

Rooney on the other hand will have his scan tommorow. Ferguson has said rooney is hurt and wont play for man utd this season

RIP DRUMMERPHIL
RichardLFC1
LFC Super Member

Postby 2520years » Sat Apr 29, 2006 9:39 pm

Oh, and Terry left the ground on crutches.
:D

I'm sure they'll all be okay...
:cool:
My earliest memory.
2520years

Postby The Ace1983 » Sat Apr 29, 2006 9:48 pm

Rooney's out. B0llox. We could all be removing him, Owen and Terry from our XIs. :(
The Ace1983
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby The Ace1983 » Sat Apr 29, 2006 9:50 pm

.                Robinson
. Neville Ferdinand Carragher Cole

. Beckham  Lampard Gerrard  Cole

.            Crouch  Bent

Doesn't look fantastic does it? :(
The Ace1983
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby mike72 » Sun Apr 30, 2006 1:39 am

With Rooney unlikely to make the World Cup, we should employ Gerrard in a similar role to what Rooney would've played.  This is my XI :

Robinson

Neville    Terry    Ferdinand    Cole

Beckham    Carrick    Lampard    Cole

Gerrard

Owen

Gerrard is wasted in his current role cleaning up after Lampard, this formation would allow him to do what he does best, attacking the opposition.
mike72

Postby The Ace1983 » Sun Apr 30, 2006 8:18 am

I quite like the ol' christmas tree formation.
Robinson and a flat back four with:

. Beckham    Carrick    Cole
.       Gerrard     Lampard
.                Owen

My reservation about this type of formation is that Owen doesn't cope well when he's alone up front, and I can't see Sven going with much other than a four-four-two.
The Ace1983
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby RichardLFC1 » Sun Apr 30, 2006 9:29 am

The Ace1983 wrote:Rooney's out. B0llox. We could all be removing him, Owen and Terry from our XIs. :(

Terry is no worry at all and as i said in a post before roeder is sure owen is gonna be fit for the world cup

Rooney has his scan today. With rooney we have a great chence but without him we only have a chance

RIP DRUMMERPHIL
RichardLFC1
LFC Super Member

Postby The Ace1983 » Sun Apr 30, 2006 9:32 am

Someone's been listening to Mr Hansen, Mr Lawrenson and Mr Lineker. :D
The Ace1983
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby RichardLFC1 » Sun Apr 30, 2006 9:38 am

The Ace1983 wrote:Someone's been listening to Mr Hansen, Mr Lawrenson and Mr Lineker. :D

Ha Ha  :D  Yes your right

RIP DRUMMERPHIL
RichardLFC1
LFC Super Member

Postby dawson99 » Sun Apr 30, 2006 12:19 pm

this is the ballsey starting 11...

GK - robinson
CD - Carrager
CD - Terry
CD - Ferdinand
LWB - Cole
RWB - Neville
CM Beckahm
CM Gerrard
CM Lampard

Striker Rooney
Striker - anyone

we play with wing backs. if rooney is injured wed have to put in maybe someone like parker in midfield and push up gerrard and lamps. we'll never play like that but we gotta take advantage of having the best midfield in the world
0118 999 881 999 119 7253
dawson99
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby The Ace1983 » Sun Apr 30, 2006 12:58 pm

Owen and Terry are fine. Pheeww!
The Ace1983
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Scottbot » Mon May 01, 2006 10:50 am

Absolutely gutted about Rooney's injury and thinbgs don't look a great deal better for Owen. I've never been a fan of Erickson's tactics but felt we stood a genuine chance of winning the World Cup IF Rooney was fit and firing and the other players were also doing their bit. Despite having the likes of Gerrard, Cole, Lampard, Terry and Ferdinand i have ZERO confidence in Erickson's ability to get the best out of team minus Rooney and (possibly) Owen.

For me, Steven Gerrard is now England's most important player. He is the only player in the England team (other than Rooney) that the opposition will be worried about stopping. Surely Erickson will have the sense to take off the shackles and give Stevie the freedom to get forward? I find it so frustrating to watch Gerrard in an England shirt. If your going to ask him to play like Makalele in front of the back four then you had just as well cut one of his legs off. It's the biggest waste of a talent i have EVER seen. Lampard is a very good player but he simply isn't in Gerrards' class. If Erickson wants to play them both then he needs to find another way of doing so.

So what are the options now Rooney is out? If Owen is fit (for what it's worth i don't believe he is gonna be in any kind of shape to make an impact at this World cup) then i expect we will line star Crouch up front with Mikey with Gerrard lumbered with the holding role once again. The other option would be to keep Crouch on the bench and play Gerrard just behind Owen (as someone previously posted.) This is a good shout but i also have reservations about playing Owen up front on his own. While his link up play is decent his game is all about clever running and excellent movement. Asking him to hold up the ball and play with his back to goal would detract from everything he does best. My preferred option would be to play Stevie out on the right where he has excelled this season and he could swap flanks with Cole (as he has done this season with Kewell) on occasions to keep the opposition guessing. Problem with this is Erickson will NEVER EVER drop Beckham which would mean asking him to play the holding role. The thing is, I think Beckham could play as a holding midfielder but the reality is when Beckham sits deep he sprays long balls (albeit excellent ones) to both flanks and tends to miss out the rest of the midfield as we saw against Northern Ireland (i think) last summer. My choice for the holding role would be Carrick who looks at home playing international football and has the discipline to sit, hold, tackle and give the ball easy and early. It's worth noting that Lampard had a better game playing with Ledley King holding and likewise Stevie played better recently with Lampard out of the team and Carrick holding. They simply can't play together.

If Owen fails to recover in time for the tournament things will get interesting and Erickson's mettle as a coach will rearly be tested. If Owen isn't fit i would tempted to ditch 4-4-2 all together for 4-3-3. My 4-3-3 without Rooney/Owen would look like this.

Crouch

Cole                                                  Lennon/SWP

Lampard                  Gerrard

Carrick

Cole                 Terry        Ferdinand         Neville

Unfortunatley the problem player here would be Beckham. He won't be droped so chances are he would have to play in the middle with Lampard (and ahead of Carrick) with Stevie going out to the right with the license to roam. Is anyone else impressed with Lennon at Tottenham? He looks a cracking player to me and i think he could be a revelation in Internationl football. If you look at the England team there are few players in there who can rearly beat a man. Rooney was one, Cole is another and too some extent Stevie so, with Rooney it's essential to play someone like Lennon or SWP.
Scottbot
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JC_81 » Mon May 01, 2006 2:16 pm

I think Sven has made a lot of mistakes with his squad and team selections over the last year to be honest.  Players like Parker, Carragher and SWP should have featured more, while players like Jenas and Carrick are very overrated imo.  I also think Beckham is not worth his place these days.  Not good enough in the centre with England's other personnel and no longer the world class wide midfielder he once was.  Ferdinand is another who is still living off his reputation from a few years ago but not performing, and a Lampard-Gerrard central midfield just doesn't work.

With all players fit, I'd go with:

Robinson

Neville          Terry           Carragher            A Cole

Gerrard         Parker          Lampard               J Cole

Rooney
                                 Owen

With possibly no Owen and Rooney for the opening game now it could be a Crouch-Defoe partnership up front.  Don't fancy England's chances this summer, but then again if Rooney and Owen don't make it then the pressure is almost taken off in a way and the team might actually perform better.  France won it with Guivarch up front so never rule anything out...
Last edited by JC_81 on Mon May 01, 2006 2:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JC_81
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby RichardLFC1 » Mon May 01, 2006 5:46 pm

john craig wrote: Don't fancy England's chances this summer,

i do very much so  :sleepy:

RIP DRUMMERPHIL
RichardLFC1
LFC Super Member

Previous

Return to Football World Wide - General Discussion