Champions league - Thread

International Football/Football World Wide - General Discussion

Postby The Good Yank » Wed Feb 16, 2011 10:39 pm

After watching that, I'm really missing LFC in the CL. :(
s@int - 13 December 2009

I won't celebrate Rafa going........ but I will be over the moon if Dalglish comes in. League within 2 years if he gets the job, AND YOU CAN QUOTE ME ON THAT.
The Good Yank
LFC Super Member

Postby metalhead » Wed Feb 16, 2011 10:40 pm

I think Arsenal deserved their win today, Barca were poor in the second half and Valdez f*cked up big time with VP's goal for not closing his corner.

Guardiola made a mistake subbing Villa off, should have kept him to get the 2nd goal
ImageImageImage
metalhead
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Greavesie » Wed Feb 16, 2011 10:44 pm

I was going to say I think Wenger made a mistake in starting Walcott, I think he's much better running at tired legs

Wilshire will end up being Arsenal's main man, he's the only no-nonsense player they're going to get - old school English mentality. not afraid to put himself about and win the ball
All round the fields of Anfield Road
Where once we watched the King Kenny play (and could he play!)
Stevie Heighway on the wing
We had dreams and songs to sing
'Bout the glory, round the Fields of Anfield Road

JFT 96 - Gone but never forgotten
YNWA 15/4/1989
God Bless You All
Greavesie

Postby lakes10 » Wed Feb 16, 2011 10:56 pm

piersmorgan Piers Morgan
Supposed best team in world given veritable masterclass by real best team in the world.
24 minutes ago Favorite Retweet Reply

IanJamesPoulter Ian Poulter
What a great day at the emirates I'm off to the gym to de stress. About time we done that to Barcelona.
20 minutes ago Favorite Retweet Reply

let them have fun tonight, be a shame to tellthem they are going to get stuffed 3-0 in the away leg lol
lakes10
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby andy_g » Wed Feb 16, 2011 11:14 pm

who knows. wenger is no mug, they have some good players and barcelona are beatable. remember pique is out and puyol may not be back. this one is very much in the balance and i wouldn't be at all surprised to see arsenal go through.

Get up! everybody's gonna move their feet
Get Down! everybody's gonna leave their seat
andy_g
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Alex88 » Wed Feb 16, 2011 11:20 pm

HAHAHAHAHA Roma defeated by Shakhtar Donetsk :D

good game by Arsenal, but in the first time, Barça was a TANK  :lookaround
Last edited by Alex88 on Wed Feb 16, 2011 11:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Alex88

Postby J*o*n*D*o*e » Thu Feb 17, 2011 12:12 am

great result for Arsenal but hardly deserved, sets up the second leg which should be a brilliant game.
ImageImage
J*o*n*D*o*e

Postby metalhead » Thu Feb 17, 2011 12:51 am

J*o*n*D*o*e wrote:great result for Arsenal but hardly deserved, sets up the second leg which should be a brilliant game.

100% deserved, the way Arsenal played in the second half was magnificent and Jack Welsher did well against the likes of Xavi and Iniesta.
ImageImageImage
metalhead
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Redman in wales » Thu Feb 17, 2011 9:42 am

who'd have thought this last  Monday then:

AC Milan 0 - 1 Spurs

Arsenal 2 - 1 Barcelona

???
Redman in wales
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby metalhead » Thu Feb 17, 2011 11:41 am

Anyone seen Riise's mistake yesterday?

yikes!

Very difficult for Roma to get to the next round, they need to at least have a 2 goal difference to go to the next round
ImageImageImage
metalhead
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Greavesie » Thu Feb 17, 2011 11:49 am

I dont want an English team near that CL so my hopes are simple, they all get kicked out as soon as
All round the fields of Anfield Road
Where once we watched the King Kenny play (and could he play!)
Stevie Heighway on the wing
We had dreams and songs to sing
'Bout the glory, round the Fields of Anfield Road

JFT 96 - Gone but never forgotten
YNWA 15/4/1989
God Bless You All
Greavesie

Postby stmichael » Thu Feb 17, 2011 2:24 pm

In the first half, some of Barcelona's play was bordering on the ridiculous. Arsenal were chasing shadows and relied entirely on the counter attack. Second half Barcelona took their foot off the gas though and seemed content to just play it out for 1-0. As for the substitution of Villa for Keita, that changed the game in Arsenal's favour imo.

Wilshire is going to be some player though. He wouldn't have looked out of place playing alongside Xavi and Iniesta. No doubt he'll be wasted by England, much like they have wasted Gerrard down the years.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby SouthCoastShankly » Thu Feb 17, 2011 2:27 pm

stmichael wrote:In the first half, some of Barcelona's play was bordering on the ridiculous. Arsenal were chasing shadows and relied entirely on the counter attack. Second half Barcelona took their foot off the gas though and seemed content to just play it out for 1-0. As for the substitution of Villa for Keita, that changed the game in Arsenal's favour imo.

Wilshire is going to be some player though. He wouldn't have looked out of place playing alongside Xavi and Iniesta. No doubt he'll be wasted by England, much like they have wasted Gerrard down the years.

Barcelona were simply a victim of their own wastefulness. Messi missed twice where most other strikers would of finished. I think Barcelona thought they wouldn't concede and as a result were happy with 1-0. Foolish.

Saying this I think they'll turn over Arsenal in the home leg.
SouthCoastShankly
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JamCar05 » Fri Feb 18, 2011 12:22 pm

stmichael wrote:In the first half, some of Barcelona's play was bordering on the ridiculous. Arsenal were chasing shadows and relied entirely on the counter attack. Second half Barcelona took their foot off the gas though and seemed content to just play it out for 1-0. As for the substitution of Villa for Keita, that changed the game in Arsenal's favour imo.

Agree with both your take on the game and Wilshere.

No doubt Arsenal did very well to get back into it, but I really do feel this had more to do with Barca thinking they could ride out their lead (also Barca did actually look a bit tired at the end I think).

Young Wilshere played a tremendous game though - completely overshadowed Fabregas on the day I thought (as well as many of his illustrious opponents).

I still hope Barca end up going through, but it might be very very close actually - especially if Puyol isn't gonna be back in time, as Pique is now suspended. All of the sudden Barca's defense doesn't look too secure and Arsenal are willing to go forward to try and exploit that. Should make for an interesting game.
JamCar05

Postby maypaxvobiscum » Sat Feb 19, 2011 6:22 pm

Lionel Messi says Arsenal captain Cesc Fabregas wants to return to Barcelona this summer because "there is nowhere he will be better off" than with his former club.

Barcelona made two offers for their academy graduate in the summer of 2010, only to be turned down on both occasions by Arsenal, and the subject of Fabregas' future has once again been in the spotlight given the two clubs are playing against each other in the Champions League.

While Fabregas said on Friday he is "committed" to Arsenal, Messi has joined team-mate Xavi in expressing the belief that the Catalan is planning to return to his boyhood club.

"Let's hope so," Messi told Sport. "In the end he will do what he wants and what the people at Barca want. It doesn't depend on us, but I think his inclination is to be at Barcelona because there is nowhere he will be better off than here."

Messi continued his run of failing to score against English sides in Barcelona's 2-1 defeat at Emirates Stadium on Wednesday, but scored four times at Camp Nou when the sides met in last season's competition at the quarter-final stage.

He believes Barca deserved better than their loss in North London and appears confident his side can overturn the deficit on March 8.

"It hurt to lose because we didn't deserve to," Messi said. "In the first half we played really well for a lot of the time, moving the ball around quickly - it's a shame we didn't win. But we are relaxed because we know we can turn this around - we only have to overcome a one-goal deficit.

"It doesn't matter how we do it. Whether it's with my goals or not, the most important thing is to go through. We have to play in the same way and if we play like we did in the first half, we will have a great chance of going through."
-----

wow. i really hope Real Madrid beats them to the title. their arrogance is increasing day by day.
maypaxvobiscum

PreviousNext

Return to Football World Wide - General Discussion