Champions league qualifying rules - Champions league qualifying rules

International Football/Football World Wide - General Discussion

Postby iscah » Sun Feb 01, 2004 1:01 pm

Was just reading the UEFA rules thinking that if one of the top 3 (Chelsea, Arsenal, Man Utd) win the champions league, that maybe 5th will get a spot in the Champions League as well. This used to be the rule a few years ago, but I see that it has now changed.

In fact we should be thankful that Chelsea, Arsenal and Man Utd who all have a reasonable chance of winning the Champions League are all in the top 4 in the league. The reason being that if they say won the champions league and finished 5th in the league (remember we did it in 1981 so not impossible), then 4th place in our league only gets a UEFA cup spot.

That won't happen this year but shows that we need a kick up the backside to get back with the big boys as it won't always be as easy as it is this year to qualify.

Steven O'Neil
Perth, WA
iscah

Postby Owzat » Mon Feb 02, 2004 2:36 pm

I don't reckon any English teams will triumph, we've more chance of securing fourth spot than they have of winning it IMO
Never buy from PC World, product quality is poor and their 'customer service' is even poorer
Owzat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Starbridge42 » Tue Feb 03, 2004 1:16 pm

Well that doesn't mean much since we're going to qualify end of story.
I didn't like Italy, it was like living in a foreign country - Ian Rush
'In most associations half of the committee does all the work while the other half does nothing. I am pleased to report that in this football club it is the reverse.' - Liverpool Echo
Starbridge42
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Location: The land of pixies and and elephants and little green men with purple boogers. Wow I must have eaten

Postby Owzat » Tue Feb 03, 2004 2:45 pm

It is possible but we're not exactly making light work of it to date. Trouble is everyone seems to weigh Liverpool up based on what we are capable of and that we are better than other teams. FACT is we haven't PROVEN we are the better team because we're bogged down in fifth place having lost seven games already. I'm sure plenty of Liverpool fans reckoned we would win the Premiership last season based on the previous season, then scaled it down to Champions League and then we missed out

deja vu? ???
Never buy from PC World, product quality is poor and their 'customer service' is even poorer
Owzat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Cool Hand Luke » Fri Feb 13, 2004 4:28 pm

We will get 4th and be alright.

i think yes what about you
Cool Hand Luke
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Fri Feb 13, 2004 4:33 pm

yeah no english team will win it because the standard of the defending in the premiership is generally shocking.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Return to Football World Wide - General Discussion