Bring back the home internationals

International Football/Football World Wide - General Discussion

Postby stmichael » Thu Sep 09, 2004 5:05 pm

I just watched the Noethern Ireland v Wales match and it was easily the best international I have seen in ages, more like a Premiership match.

Rather than playing nothing friendlies against teams from eastern Europe why cant we play matches that mean something?

The hooligan issue isnt as bad as it was in the 70's and 80's. I for one would love to see a fired up England ripping Wales, Scotland and Ireland apart !

What do you reckon?
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby simic_ie » Thu Sep 09, 2004 5:08 pm

stmichael wrote:I just watched the Noethern Ireland v Wales match and it was easily the best international I have seen in ages, more like a Premiership match.

Rather than playing nothing friendlies against teams from eastern Europe why cant we play matches that mean something?

The hooligan issue isnt as bad as it was in the 70's and 80's. I for one would love to see a fired up England ripping Wales, Scotland and Ireland apart !

What do you reckon?

I reckon England wouldn't stand a chance  :D  :D

But yeah bring back the home internationals!!
“It was my first of the season, my last of the season, my best of the season and the one I will remember for ever.”

- Vladi Smicer after scoring in the CL Final

"I'm not a believer in fate..... until tonight, they're going to win it!"
-  Liam Brady after extra time of CL Final
simic_ie
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Leonmc0708 » Thu Oct 14, 2004 5:54 pm

No
JUSTICE FOR THE 96

Leonmc0708
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby dawson99 » Fri Oct 15, 2004 3:38 pm

i remember last time we played the rep of ireland, theys cored a goal so we 'england fans' started throwing chairs form the stands above, was stupid.
hopefully that wouldnthappen now and there should be mroe games between us all
0118 999 881 999 119 7253
dawson99
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby greenred » Fri Oct 15, 2004 9:47 pm

Republic of Ireland wouldnt be in the Home internationals,but i get your point.What stage of the season would they play them?,its a pretty full fixture list as it is.
ImageImageImage
greenred
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby the great one » Sat Oct 16, 2004 3:12 pm

greenred wrote:Republic of Ireland wouldnt be in the Home internationals,but i get your point.What stage of the season would they play them?,its a pretty full fixture list as it is.

maybe they could do a deal to play every summer or every 2 summers or somethink. or instead of playing ****** teams in the build up to european championship or world cups like iceland and japan no disrespect to them teams. we could play scotland,northern ireland and wales seein as there not goin to the world cup in 2006  :D
''I know Mourinho likes to tell people that he is the European champion manager but he's not now. That belongs to Benitez. '' Jamie Carragher
the great one
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby taff » Mon Oct 18, 2004 12:46 am

It would benefit Wales to be honest but cant see England going for it as what benefit would they get out of it

Wales tends to get friendlies against the big nations when they are about to face England as it gives them experience in that frantic British style of play although Sven in fairness is trying to get away from that.

It pains me to say this but if I was English I wouldnt be bothered at all.

I would like to see us NI and the jocks try and set up mini tornaments to play the middle ranking teams as none of us are good enough to go straight in with the big boys even as a way of gaining experience

Now we have a decent stadium we should try and stage more games like this
taff
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby greenred » Mon Oct 18, 2004 2:14 pm

England dont need the hassle but what about some sort of Celtic cup like they have in rugby? Scotland,Wales,NI,and Rep of Ireland in an end of season mini tournament.They could play all the matches in one country and the winner gets to call themselves Celtic champions.It could work!! :D
ImageImageImage
greenred
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Leonmc0708 » Mon Oct 18, 2004 4:43 pm

greenred wrote:England dont need the hassle but what about some sort of Celtic cup like they have in rugby? Scotland,Wales,NI,and Rep of Ireland in an end of season mini tournament.They could play all the matches in one country and the winner gets to call themselves Celtic champions.It could work!! :D

They could get to call themselves International Celtic World Series Champions of The Year and it still would not be worth a carrot.
JUSTICE FOR THE 96

Leonmc0708
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby greenred » Mon Oct 18, 2004 4:46 pm

aahh it would :D
ImageImageImage
greenred
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby taff » Mon Oct 18, 2004 5:17 pm

Leonmc0708 wrote:
greenred wrote:England dont need the hassle but what about some sort of Celtic cup like they have in rugby? Scotland,Wales,NI,and Rep of Ireland in an end of season mini tournament.They could play all the matches in one country and the winner gets to call themselves Celtic champions.It could work!! :D

They could get to call themselves International Celtic World Series Champions of The Year and it still would not be worth a carrot.

Yes and shove it up your a***e Leon
taff
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby taff » Mon Oct 18, 2004 5:40 pm

By the way my suggestion is for the lower ranking teams to have a tournament
E.G. World cup in Germany but the Celtic Nations apart from the republic who have a chance could host a mini tournament with the likes of Austria etc its our best way of improving but not have a cup as I agree with gobby above that would be ridiculous
taff
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby KennyisGod....still » Wed Dec 15, 2004 11:18 am

You guys givin Scots a hard time seem to forget, some of our most talented, determined and successful players came from north of Hadrian's Wall. Just like we, as a club, are in a 'transisitional stage', the Scots now have a manager worth the name, the Welsh only bottled Euro 2004 at the last minute and the Irish are still tryin to figure out which way to kick after winnin the toss!! Seriously, the English may have invented the beautiful game, but your tactics seem to be stuck in the same era..... and Erikson dont seem capable of changin them if he needs to. personally I'm lookin forward to renewin my Tartan Army membership and watchin us emulate the Greeks to take total command over European football. zzzzzzzzzzzzzz, " is that the alarm?? That time already?!!!" :D  :laugh:
Stu Averill, a wannabe Scouse/Scot. I remember the good times & have faith in them comin back

Beside the Hillsborough Flame, I heard a Koppite mournin, "Why so many taken on that day?" Justice has never been done. But their memory we'll carry on. There'll be Glory Round The Fields Of Anfield Road
KennyisGod....still
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby KennyisGod....still » Wed Dec 15, 2004 11:20 am

Oh yeah, and that 'transisitional' stage is also a good description for my spellin!!!!! :laugh:
Stu Averill, a wannabe Scouse/Scot. I remember the good times & have faith in them comin back

Beside the Hillsborough Flame, I heard a Koppite mournin, "Why so many taken on that day?" Justice has never been done. But their memory we'll carry on. There'll be Glory Round The Fields Of Anfield Road
KennyisGod....still
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Pig Catcher » Wed Dec 15, 2004 5:31 pm

stmichael wrote:I just watched the Noethern Ireland v Wales match and it was easily the best international I have seen in ages, more like a Premiership match.

What do you reckon?

Do you mean replace 'normal' friendlies with home friendlies, this woulden't be good preperation for majot tornoument, playing aginst the same oppostion again and again.
Pig Catcher
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Next

Return to Football World Wide - General Discussion