The home nations championship

International Football/Football World Wide - General Discussion

Postby The Manhattan Project » Mon Jul 03, 2006 6:18 pm

The problem England (and the Home Nations) face is that they simply don't play enough games as a team. Barring friendlies which are often used improperly and are seen as somewhat of a chore, due to the lack of competitiveness inherant in the concept of a "friendly" (IE: nothing is at stake).

There is a solution. An old one.

The return of the Home Nations Championship.

England, Scotland, Wales, Northern Ireland and Eire (assuming they all wanted to take part).

Competitiveness is built in. A natural rivalry exists between these nations. Keep in mind that it was largely scrapped due to civil unrest in Northern Ireland and problems with hooliganism. Problems that are relatively mild now compared to the 70's and 80's.

When could it be held? Summer. Odd years. Every two years. 2007, 2009, 2011 etc....all years where there is no major football international tournament. No World Cup. No EURO Championships. Between the Home Nations Championship and World Cup/EURO qualifiers, there should be plenty of games for England (or whoever) to gel as a squad and for tactics and strategy to be honed.

Each championship could be rotated between the Home Nations. Say with England hosting in 2007, Scotland hosting in 2009, Wales hosting in 2011 etc...Stadium improvements (which are needed anyway) would be required. Each team would play only four games. The competition could be held during a relatively small period of time, say over the course of a two week period. One game in the afternoon, one game in the evening. No draws permitted. If a match is level after 90 minutes, it goes straight to penalties. More dramatic that way and it allows players to practice a shootout in a competitive setting.

The object would be similar to the Six Nations, where the goal is not only to "win" the Championship, but also to gain the "Grand Slam" and beat all other Home Nations.

Last edited by The Manhattan Project on Mon Jul 03, 2006 7:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
china syndrome 80512640 reactor meltdown fusion element
no uniquely indefinable one 5918 identification unknown 113
source transmission 421 general panic hysteria 02 outbreak
foreign mutation 001505 maximum code destruction nuclear
reflection 01044 power plutonium helix atomic energy wave
The Manhattan Project
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby LFC #1 » Tue Jul 04, 2006 1:49 am

Clubs will be strongly against it, so I can't see it taking off tbh.
LFC #1
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby deejay-cgt » Tue Jul 04, 2006 10:18 pm

would be intestering to see that happen but most prob never will
CgT

deejay-cgt

Postby Ciggy » Tue Jul 04, 2006 10:54 pm

:laugh: Imagine England V Scotland biggest murder ever  :laugh: never gona happen.
The England team is far superior to any other in the british isles thats why the anti english from our fellow country parts.
Born out of complete utter bitterness and jealousy TBH.
Silly topic Manhatten its a none starter.
There is no-one anywhere in the world at any stage who is any bigger or any better than this football club.

Kenny Dalglish 1/2/2011

REST IN PEACE PHIL, YOU WILL NEVER BE FORGOTTEN.
Ciggy
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Mikz » Tue Jul 04, 2006 11:46 pm

Ciggy wrote: :laugh: Imagine England V Scotland biggest murder ever  :laugh: never gona happen.
The England team is far superior to any other in the british isles thats why the anti english from our fellow country parts.

Id love to see it happen, but with Republic of Ireland included too.It would be a chance for one of them to actually win something ffs  :laugh:
TBH - I could never be jealous of England in case youre referring to me , if they were as good and as superior as you think , or won something now and again and had no Lampard or Neville or Ferdinand or Cole or rooney, then i would be green with envy.
'' Gary lineker may well have scored 5 goals in 5 minutes , but i think you have to say, what else did he do '' ...Jimmy Hill
Mikz
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Lionheart » Tue Jul 04, 2006 11:54 pm

Maybe you could compete as Great Britain (as you do in the Olympics) in the World Cup. :;):  (will this create some interesting debate?? :D)

[url=http://www.ggarmy.com/files/PIMBSLQY1J/WorldCupHeroes1.jpg[/img]http://www.ggarmy.com/files/PIMBSLQY1J/WorldCupHeroes1.jpg[/img[/url]
Lionheart
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Ciggy » Tue Jul 04, 2006 11:56 pm

Mikz wrote:Id love to see it happen, but with Republic of Ireland included too.It would be a chance for one of them to actually win something ffs  :laugh:
TBH - I could never be jealous of England in case youre referring to me ,

Where and when did I refer to you Mikz ?
Last edited by Ciggy on Wed Jul 05, 2006 7:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
There is no-one anywhere in the world at any stage who is any bigger or any better than this football club.

Kenny Dalglish 1/2/2011

Ciggy
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Lionheart » Tue Jul 04, 2006 11:59 pm

Ciggy wrote: :laugh: Imagine England V Scotland biggest murder ever  :laugh: never gona happen.

Oh, I don't know Ciggy...

Admittedly, on paper, England should wallop any of the British home nations but they always seemed to lift when playing England, especially Scotland.

I remember witnessing Scotland v England at Wembley in '88. Now England should have slaughtered Scotland but they had to work their butts off just to get draw. Not as clear cut as you might like to think I believe.   :D

[url=http://www.ggarmy.com/files/PIMBSLQY1J/WorldCupHeroes1.jpg[/img]http://www.ggarmy.com/files/PIMBSLQY1J/WorldCupHeroes1.jpg[/img[/url]
Lionheart
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Ciggy » Wed Jul 05, 2006 12:02 am

Lionheart wrote:
Ciggy wrote::laugh: Imagine England V Scotland biggest murder ever  :laugh: never gona happen.

Admittedly, on paper, England should wallop any of the British home nations but they always seemed to lift when playing England, especially Scotland.

I remember witnessing Scotland v England at Wembley in '88. Now England should have slaughtered Scotland but they had to work their butts off just to get draw. Not as clear cut as you might like to think I believe.   :D

Yer and the jocks smashed the whole of London up after the game, great  :)
England fans are no angels but there has been millions of them in Germany and about 200 arrested for minour drunken offences.
I prefer none  but England can never play Scotland for this reason alone.

Kenny Dalglish 1/2/2011

Ciggy
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Lionheart » Wed Jul 05, 2006 12:12 am

Ciggy wrote:
Lionheart wrote:
Ciggy wrote::laugh: Imagine England V Scotland biggest murder ever  :laugh: never gona happen.

Yer and the jocks smashed the whole of London up after the game, great  :)
England fans are no angels but there has been millions of them in Germany and about 200 arrested for minour drunken offences.
I prefer none  but England can never play Scotland for this reason alone.

Ah murder as in the fans would rampage and murder... Fans could be a problem but England fans can hardly claim purity in terms of angelic behaviour over the years. Can they??  :;):

I thought you were referring to the ease at which England would defeat Scotland and and easy victory between the two teams was extremely rare, and I can't see any reason why it would be any different.

It's a bit like the rivalry between Australia & New Zealand. The Kiwi's always lift and do a lot better than would be ordinarily be expected.

Lionheart
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Ciggy » Wed Jul 05, 2006 12:17 am

Lionheart wrote:Ah murder as in the fans would rampage and murder... Fans could be a problem but England fans can hardly claim purity in terms of angelic behaviour over the years. Can they??  :;):

I thought you were referring to the ease at which England would defeat Scotland and and easy victory between the two teams was extremely rare, and I can't see any reason why it would be any different.

It's a bit like the rivalry between Australia & New Zealand. The Kiwi's always lift and do a lot better than would be ordinarily be expected.

Just leave it at that Lionheart mate, I dont hold grudges but a lot of people in the British isles do.
Its not worth even goin there Mikz has already accused me of meaning him when I didnt even say his name I dont know why.
Just leave it they hate the english end of.

Kenny Dalglish 1/2/2011

Ciggy
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Lionheart » Wed Jul 05, 2006 12:24 am

Ciggy wrote:
Lionheart wrote:Ah murder as in the fans would rampage and murder... Fans could be a problem but England fans can hardly claim purity in terms of angelic behaviour over the years. Can they??  :;):

Just leave it at that Lionheart mate, I dont hold grudges but a lot of people in the British isles do.
Its not worth even goin there Mikz has already accused me of meaning him when I didnt even say his name I dont know why.
Just leave it they hate the english end of.

No, not wanting to create waves Cig, and I apologise if I have offended. No harm meant.

I just love to see the passion and rivalry but I suspect it runs a whole lot deeper than I realise, at least on face value.     :cool:

Lionheart
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Ciggy » Wed Jul 05, 2006 12:36 am

Lionheart wrote:I just love to see the passion and rivalry but I suspect it runs a whole lot deeper than I realise, at least on face value.     :cool:

Rivalry  :D  Its runs deeper than that.
Last edited by Ciggy on Wed Jul 05, 2006 7:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

Kenny Dalglish 1/2/2011

Ciggy
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby greenred » Wed Jul 05, 2006 12:58 am

Id personally love to see some sort of Celtic Cup competition instead of the old home nations tournament.Lets be honest,England are too big a country to compete against on a level playing field.

Ireland,Northern Ireland,Scotland and Wales are small countries and could give each other a decent game.And one of us would get the chance to hold aloft a proper trophy every now and then.
ImageImageImage
greenred
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Ciggy » Wed Jul 05, 2006 1:07 am

greenred wrote:Id personally love to see some sort of Celtic Cup competition instead of the old home nations tournament.Lets be honest,England are too big a country to compete against on a level playing field.

Ireland,Northern Ireland,Scotland and Wales are small countries and could give each other a decent game.And one of us would get the chance to hold aloft a proper trophy every now and then.

Thanx for wishing England all the best Greenred in the WC.
Oh no I must have missed it cause you didnt :)
Yet you and your fellow irish men chose to follow our club.Well why?
When you obviously cant stand England Im baffled  ???

Kenny Dalglish 1/2/2011

Ciggy
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Next

Return to Football World Wide - General Discussion