Midweek internationals - ...how the current and past lfc lads did

International Football/Football World Wide - General Discussion

Postby bunglemark2 » Thu Aug 21, 2008 11:57 am

Don't see a thread here for last night's internationals so here goes...

Watched the Norway v Ireland game last night. Pretty horrendous conditions it has to be said. I suppose the one redeeming element was that Robbie still knows where the onion sack is. Here's to a few more of them this season for his club. Pretty solid game from Finnan as well. Though some disappointed comments from him during the week on his apparent exit from the club.
JAR had a couple of misdirected thunderbolts...

Watched some of the England game. 'Nuff said....I'll leave the folk across the Irish Sea to comment further....
http://s2.tinypic.com/30ldif7_th.jpg
See yooo, Judas. Yoo're gettin' on mah titz !
bunglemark2

Postby Roger Red Hat » Thu Aug 21, 2008 12:01 pm

absolutly sh!te as per usual. England have had it. We are a mediocure nation in football terms. very very below average
Sex, drugs and sausage rolls!
Roger Red Hat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby bigmick » Thu Aug 21, 2008 12:46 pm

well I went to the England game, which was a nice way to spend my last night in the UK for quite a bit. I made a couple of observations.

1. People who go to England games are from a whole cross section of society. There are however, more knob-jockeys per square yard at England games than there are anywhere else on Earth. It's a curious fact, but true nontheless.

2. Wembley is a hugely impressive football ground. Quite possibly the best one in terms of moderness and "feck me look at that"ness in the whole world.

3. The statue of Bobby Moore outside the ground doesn't look overly like him. Even so, it looks quite nice.

4. Steven Gerrard despite being Englands best player on the night and in real life by a distance can't actually play very well on the left wing. Hopefully Rafa was watching the game on his telly while he was eating his Paella.

5. England as a football team, in terms of technicality, fluidity, cohesive movement, organisation from set pieces, invention and sheer never say die fighting spirit, are utter sh!t.

6. Wayne Rooney is some way short of being fully fit. No idea whats wrong with him, but he's quite simply not at the races.

7. The public transport system in the Uk despite its detractors, is quite good.

8. South Wimbledon Kebab house as an eatery and purveyor od all night doners with extra hot chilli sauce, has gone downhill somewhat over the last couple of years (this may not be relevant to everyone, but was hugely important to me last night).

Other than all that, a fairly enjoyable experience. Flying back to NZ today, and I must say its been good to be back.
Last edited by bigmick on Thu Aug 21, 2008 12:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"se e in una bottigla ed e bianco, e latte".
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Number 9 » Thu Aug 21, 2008 12:53 pm

bigmick wrote:well I went to the England game, which was a nice way to spend my last night in the UK for quite a bit. I made a couple of observations.

1. People who go to England games are from a whole cross section of society. There are however, more knob-jockeys per square yard at England games than there are anywhere else on Earth. It's a curious fact, but true nontheless.

2. Wembley is a hugely impressive football ground. Quite possibly the best one in terms of moderness and "feck me look at that"ness in the whole world.

3. The statue of Bobby Moore outside the ground doesn't look overly like him. Even so, it looks quite nice.

4. Steven Gerrard despite being Englands best player on the night and in real life by a distance can't actually play very well on the left wing. Hopefully Rafa was watching the game on his telly while he was eating his Paella.

5. England as a football team, in terms of technicality, fluidity, cohesive movement, organisation from set pieces, invention and sheer never say die fighting spirit, are utter sh!t.

6. Wayne Rooney is some way short of being fully fit. No idea whats wrong with him, but he's quite simply not at the races.

8. South Wimbledon Kebab house as an eatery and purveyor od all night doners with extra hot chilli sauce, has gone downhill somewhat over the last couple of years (this may not be relevant to everyone, but was hugely important to me last night).

Other than all that, a fairly enjoyable experience. Flying back to NZ today, and I must say its been good to be back.

:laugh:
PMSL at number 1!!
Number 9
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby bunglemark2 » Thu Aug 21, 2008 12:58 pm

Number 9 wrote:
bigmick wrote:well I went to the England game, which was a nice way to spend my last night in the UK for quite a bit. I made a couple of observations.

:laugh:
PMSL at number 1!!

PMSL at most of your observations.... :D

Have a safe trip home....

(Hope you're not on yer way in an MD-80 ?  :oh: )
bunglemark2

Postby Ola Mr Benitez » Thu Aug 21, 2008 1:08 pm

The answer to No 6 is obvious..  He's got married!
Our job is simple, to support the club, not just parts of the club that are easy to support, but every one who plays a part, that includes ALL players.  We are stronger when we are all walking in the same direction. Walk On
Ola Mr Benitez

Postby zarababe » Thu Aug 21, 2008 2:03 pm

Englasnd are awful it's almost as if know one wants to play together - given club rivalries, boardering hatred, beteween top 4 clubs -

James is the best we have ???

Also rans Heskey and Beckham are near the squad because ... ???

lampard is a waste of space

who respects Terry after his argumentative exploiits as capatain of CFC ???

all in all a sad jumble of disunity anfd disjointedness - we don't have a hope :(
THE BRENDAN REVOLUTION IS UPON US !

KING KENNY.. Always LEGEND !

RAFA.. MADE THE PEOPLE HAPPY !

Miss YOU Phil-Drummer - RIP YNWA

zarababe
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby The Manhattan Project » Thu Aug 21, 2008 2:15 pm

It's strange how England matches are exclusive to Setanta, an Irish channel.

china syndrome 80512640 reactor meltdown fusion element
no uniquely indefinable one 5918 identification unknown 113
source transmission 421 general panic hysteria 02 outbreak
foreign mutation 001505 maximum code destruction nuclear
reflection 01044 power plutonium helix atomic energy wave
The Manhattan Project
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Dundalk » Thu Aug 21, 2008 2:21 pm

Sky Sports had for a while exclusive rights to all of the irish games and the Irish goverment came up with a new rule that all of these games had to be shown on terrestrial TV by law :D
Dundalk
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby bunglemark2 » Thu Aug 21, 2008 2:25 pm

Dundalk wrote:Sky Sports had for a while exclusive rights to all of the irish games and the Irish goverment came up with a new rule that all of these games had to be shown on terrestrial TV by law :D

You sure that's changed Dundalk ? As far as I now, Sly Sports still have the rights to the Ireland games.

Manhattan : There's a very simple reason why Setanta has those games - ££££££££
bunglemark2

Postby Dundalk » Thu Aug 21, 2008 2:31 pm

Sky have them but RTE show them as well
Dundalk
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby The Manhattan Project » Thu Aug 21, 2008 3:03 pm

I personally thank Setanta.

For sparing us from having to watch England play.
The Manhattan Project
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby bunglemark2 » Thu Aug 21, 2008 3:31 pm

The Manhattan Project wrote:I personally thank Setanta.

For sparing us from having to watch England play.

Mate, I have to say it....England were truly awful last night. The studio panel was even worse to behold. El Tel spouting off about "patriotism, the three lions etc..." made me laugh.
Some valid points made by Harry Redknapp, though I've always liked his attitude. And Steve McManaman was just his plain old, daft self.
You gotta wonder how they put in such a brutal performance with the calibre of players on the pitch. I know Ireland are pretty awful of late, but the Czechs are a less than average side...
bunglemark2

Postby The Manhattan Project » Thu Aug 21, 2008 8:41 pm

The only patriotism an England player has is to his Mercedes and Rolex.

With EURO 2008 and Team GB in Beijing, it's been a refreshing summer of sport without anyone chanting "ING-GUR-LUND" and booing national anthems.
The Manhattan Project
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Kharhaz » Fri Aug 22, 2008 12:35 am

Capello comes in, and does exactly what every other coach has done. Placed Gerrard out of position, played Beckham and Lampard and came up with a sh!t performance. Can we ever hire a coach who has the faintest idea of how to pick a team rather than players based on reputation.
Bill Shankly: “I was the best manager in Britain because I was never devious or cheated anyone. I’d break my wife’s legs if I played against her, but I’d never cheat her.”
Kharhaz
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Next

Return to Football World Wide - General Discussion