Australia v uruguay - Funny stuff

International Football/Football World Wide - General Discussion

Postby laza » Sun Nov 13, 2005 7:06 am

Lionheart wrote:Laza, babu...either of you going to be in Sydney for the match??

LionHeart

Im a West Aussie so no, have taken days off for that time though so i sit down and watch SBS coverage at local
What about yourself
As for qualification I would prefer the Oceania zone to remain and for us to have a play off against Asian team like in 98.
Though if its a choice between joining the Asian block and this farce of having to travel to South America for a play off, i take the Asian zone as well
Forever Red in this life and the next
laza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Lionheart » Sun Nov 13, 2005 10:29 pm

Laza...I'll be there, with bells on. Coming up from Tassie with our club president, my son and one of his mates.

Wouldn't miss this one for quids.

I attended the 1974 qualifying match with my Dad so it will be a poignent moment to be there with my son...  :grinning:

We qualified for Germany then, so to qualifying for Germany again would be a VERY special moment. I just hope we can do it.   :eyebrow

[url=http://www.ggarmy.com/files/PIMBSLQY1J/WorldCupHeroes1.jpg[/img]http://www.ggarmy.com/files/PIMBSLQY1J/WorldCupHeroes1.jpg[/img[/url]
Lionheart
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby babu » Mon Nov 14, 2005 1:23 am

Lion Heart,

It would be great to be there, unfortunatly I can't make the trip from Malaysia. I just can't justify the cost at the moment (been twice this year already). But I am sure the crowd will spur the boys on for a decent 2-0 victory.

c'ooommmmnnn

babu
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby LFC #1 » Mon Nov 14, 2005 2:06 am

Uruguay should come out and try and kill the tie off early, because if they score first they'll go through simple as that. If Australia can keep it to 0-0 for the first half hour or so, or even go one up they'll be a great chance of going through.

Imagine if Australia went up 2-0, and the Iran situation repeated itself, their would be mass suicide. :D
LFC #1
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Lionheart » Mon Nov 14, 2005 4:26 am

LFC #1 wrote:Uruguay should come out and try and kill the tie off early, because if they score first they'll go through simple as that. If Australia can keep it to 0-0 for the first half hour or so, or even go one up they'll be a great chance of going through.

Imagine if Australia went up 2-0, and the Iran situation repeated itself, their would be mass suicide. :D

LFC#1...SHUTUP!!!! Ahhhhhh... :help

[url=http://www.ggarmy.com/files/PIMBSLQY1J/WorldCupHeroes1.jpg[/img]http://www.ggarmy.com/files/PIMBSLQY1J/WorldCupHeroes1.jpg[/img[/url]
Lionheart
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby laza » Mon Nov 14, 2005 7:38 am

Lionheart wrote:Laza...I'll be there, with bells on. Coming up from Tassie with our club president, my son and one of his mates.

Wouldn't miss this one for quids.

I attended the 1974 qualifying match with my Dad so it will be a poignent moment to be there with my son...  :grinning:

We qualified for Germany then, so to qualifying for Germany again would be a VERY special moment. I just hope we can do it.   :eyebrow

Lionheart
Sounds like an awesome experience and very touching symbolism.
Should be a great experience and hopefully the guys can finish the job.
Im think it will be a tough ask but we really cant for anything more, well except maybe Guus being appointed about 12 months earlier :)
laza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Lionheart » Mon Nov 14, 2005 8:05 am

Put it this way lads...if the Aussies can't knock over Uruguay, at home, by a scoreline of 2-0 or greater, then we don't really deserve to be in Germany. I would hate to think we would get there a just be the easy beats...there the make up the numbers. We have to earn that right and we'll do that by beating Uruguay buy the required margin or greater. Just don't let Uruguay score!!!   :;):

Lionheart
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby laza » Mon Nov 14, 2005 9:02 am

Lionheart wrote:Put it this way lads...if the Aussies can't knock over Uruguay, at home, by a scoreline of 2-0 or greater, then we don't really deserve to be in Germany. I would hate to think we would get there a just be the easy beats...there the make up the numbers. We have to earn that right and we'll do that by beating Uruguay buy the required margin or greater. Just don't let Uruguay score!!!   :;):

Not sure about that mate when you consider Bahrain vs Trinidad and Tobago is the other WC qualifier. The 32 nations are never going to be the best teams otherwise it would just be South America v Europe competition
laza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Ciggy » Mon Nov 14, 2005 9:17 am

Guus Hiddink is an excellent manager, but Australia may suffer because he's based in Holland managing PSV, my feelings on this is he should be over in Oz if he has the responsibility as the Australian manager. He should either do one job or the other not be a manager of two teams, I know in Europe he gets to see how the majority of players play but I just think he should put all his concentration into the Australian National team.
Jurgen Klinsmann is Germanys manager and he's living in California which is also wrong, he says he watches the Bundesliga, the prem, the La liga etc etc on TV.
I personally think he should be back living in Germany and with Germany being the holders of the comp, if results dont go there way alot of people will point the finger as to why he is living in the USA.
You could also put Australia's loss down to Hiddink being PSV's manager?
There is no-one anywhere in the world at any stage who is any bigger or any better than this football club.

Kenny Dalglish 1/2/2011

REST IN PEACE PHIL, YOU WILL NEVER BE FORGOTTEN.
Ciggy
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby LFC #1 » Mon Nov 14, 2005 9:31 am

Not really Lynds, Hiddink has made a big difference in a very short space of time, and if he gets them to the WC finals after only being in the job 2 months it will be an amazing achievement.

When they sacked Farina I didn't think that the new manager would have enough time to get his ideas across and it would basically end up being Farina's team playing against Uruguay. However Hiddink has done a lot of training work with these guys and has even picked the likes Archie Thompson, who's playing in the A-league, a very good player tbh. 

Hiddink is the best thing to happen to Australian football for a long time.
LFC #1
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Lionheart » Mon Nov 14, 2005 12:06 pm

Hiddink ceases to be Australian coach on Wednesday night if Australia fails to qualify. But if they do proceed in the World Cup then Guus is to renegociate his contract to PSV. Frankly I would prefer to see Guus continue as coach regardless of wheather we go to Germany or not. I think he is a class act and is working well with everyone in Aussie football.  :bowdown

Laza...understand exactly what you are saying, but I'd rather not go to Germany than become the whipping boys of the tournament. So perhaps we are supporting each other's arguements. Would you want to be equated to Bahrain &/or T&T or would you just be happy to be there?

Lionheart
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby LFC #1 » Mon Nov 14, 2005 1:00 pm

Lionheart wrote:Hiddink ceases to be Australian coach on Wednesday night if Australia fails to qualify. But if they do proceed in the World Cup then Guus is to renegociate his contract to PSV.

Didn't know that, even more incentive for Australia to win. Surely thats Hiddink's choice and not the FFA though?
LFC #1
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby laza » Mon Nov 14, 2005 1:36 pm

Lionheart wrote:Hiddink ceases to be Australian coach on Wednesday night if Australia fails to qualify. But if they do proceed in the World Cup then Guus is to renegociate his contract to PSV. Frankly I would prefer to see Guus continue as coach regardless of wheather we go to Germany or not. I think he is a class act and is working well with everyone in Aussie football.  :bowdown

Laza...understand exactly what you are saying, but I'd rather not go to Germany than become the whipping boys of the tournament. So perhaps we are supporting each other's arguements. Would you want to be equated to Bahrain &/or T&T or would you just be happy to be there?

Certainly not a fantastic situation having manage both club and country, however it obviously put us in better shape then if we had stayed with Frank Farino as coach
Personally i love to him stay as well regardless of the result but it wont happen and that is fair enough all things considering
Once we are there though  its a tourney and anything can happen. While major powers will always be favourites if the right team can put it together , reputations can still be made without even making or winning the final
Look at respect some of African nations gained with their performances in recent World Cups
Even more relevent look at Guus last foray, even as hosts could you really have predicted South Korea's run in 2002
Though even if it did turn into another confed cup disaster, the boost it would give to the game in our country would be immense so it would well be worth it in my opinion
Last edited by laza on Tue Nov 15, 2005 2:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
laza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 66-1112520797 » Mon Nov 28, 2005 3:12 am

I was split between these two , in all honesty I couldnt really give a s.hit .

But seen as Im an Englishman living in Oz , Im often reminded by them how good the Australians are at EVERYTHING. It f.ucks me off , because these kangeroo s.haggers :D  hate football and the majority of them thinks football is boring , s.hit and played by "whimps".
Sorry I forgot where I was, soccer .

They love to gloat about themselves and in that respect there no different to the yanks.
But when in Rome do as the Romans do and all that , so I have a couple of Ozy mates who like "soccer" and funnily enough one of them supports Chelsea , its so ironic really I will explain that bit in a mo.
Anyway this mate of mine thinks he knows everything about everything , I let him carry on , I just give him the understanding look. He tries to talk football and the puss that oozes out of his mouth is laughable.
Now that Australia have finally qualified he tells me there gonna win the b.loody thing , he says all this with a straight face aswell.
He came round to my house the other day and said,
" Theres a rumour going round that we will draw Equador and the USA in our group "
" Well I dont know how that rumour started because all the teams are drawn from a hat " I replied.

Like I said I usually let him carry on but Had to stop him in his tracks before he got to carried away. He thinks Australia will beat England if they meet soley because they beat us in a friendly 3-4 years ago , ffs.

So the hysteria that followed the the game(that had about as much class in it as eating Mcdonalds on a first date with a ladyfriend , then burping it back in her face), was incredibile. Fair enough , I will take my hat off to the Aussies because they could show us how to take a penalty or two. All except Viduka he plys his trade in England of coures :D

Now though the Aussies have jumped on the "soccer" bandwagon , a bit like the gloryhunters have with Chelsea ( see paragraph 2) and think its wonderfull that they have now woke a sleeping giant in football. Fact of the matter is if they'd of been knocked they wouldnt of really given a to$$ anyway.

Then I witnessed a news report that for once ( that day only) the news reporter called football football, and for twente four hours or so it was given its correct name.

As for the Kangeroos , sorry Socceroos qualifying like I said before I take my hat off to them. They showed tremendous team spirit , but that wont win you the world cup on spirit alone and are there just to make the numbers up.
The Australians will get pulled up a fair bit as well in Germany , because they think by elbowing opponents in the face thats well within the rules of the game.
:D
Dont put all your faith in Guus Hiddink and compare what he done at S.Korea to you guys,he is a great manager . But Korea were on home soil and dare I say it a few of the decisions that went there way look dubious to say the least.

Well done team Australia

The POMS rant over :D
66-1112520797

Postby babu » Mon Nov 28, 2005 3:44 am

Hey Bamaga Man,

I lived in Putney (london) for two years running a pub. I loved mentioning cricket and rugby to any bl.oody pom in hearing distance. However that was in 2002-03, which happened to be about the time of England's dominance at twickenham. That hurt.

I am just glad i wasn't there for the recent ashes.

BUT I just wanna say that I reckon the aussies are justified in being proud of their sporting achievements. for such a small country (population-wise) to do so well in so many sports is a great achievement. I don't think its fair to compare them to then yanks when it comes to gloating. We all gloat when our team wins, but nothing like the yanks surely.

Just look at the ovation freddy flintoff got from the aussie crowds when he played in the world XI.

As for the socceroo's, after the last for times of coming so close to qualifing, there is bound to be euphoria and a little delusion. but seriously I don't think anyone expects us to win the world cup. Its enough to be there.

I am sorry you have a aussie friend who is a chelsea fan. I have only one, and he is the most misguided individual I have ever met. I have many true LFC aussie mates. To truly support football in aus takes commitment, beacuse you are constantly searching for places that show games at 3 am in the morning when they are not on fox. Getting in trouble with your boss for sleeping at your desk the next day comes part and parcel.

as for rugby, Jones has singled handedly set aus rugby back 10 years.

babu
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to Football World Wide - General Discussion