HITZFIELD
4%
QUEIROZ
No votes
OTHER
3%

Total votes : 102

Postby Roger Red Hat » Tue May 25, 2004 4:56 pm

And thats the point where you wake up with your head in your porridge??
Sex, drugs and sausage rolls!
Roger Red Hat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Scottbot » Tue May 25, 2004 5:02 pm

What is the general consensus about Curbishley as new manager?
He is not my 1st choice but i would not be disheartened if he was given the opportunity. He has a lot going for him.
He Kept Charlton in the Premier League when no one gave them a chance. Remember this is a club that was in administration 4/5 years earlier (it may have been longer) He has spent very wisely to consolidate their position and now Charlton are a top eight team. His teams are organised but play attractive football on the deck. Something that matters to may LFC supporters. He is not afraid to bring in young players (i.e. Parker, Cole) and is also willing to take a gamble if necessary (see Paolo Di Canio). He seems to have the respect of his players, the media and people in football. I get the impression - when Curbishley talks, people listen.

The biggest knocks against him are that he hasn't managed a big club + has no experience of European football. Unfortunately that is now true of most young/promising English managers these days. The big clubs only seem to employ foreign coaches therefore they don't get a look in.
Scottbot
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Woollyback » Tue May 25, 2004 5:06 pm

John Barnes' Granny wrote:I'm pinning this topic for a while as its the issue on everyone's minds and I think we should try to stick to this thread for a while instead of starting millions of new "Who do you want the next manager to be?"

Let the debate begin!!!!

JBG, great stewardship of the whole forum in your brief tenure as moderator. Keep it up old boy!   :)
b*ll*c*ks and s*i*e
Woollyback
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Tue May 25, 2004 5:09 pm

Scottbot wrote:The biggest knocks against him are that he hasn't managed a big club + has no experience of European football. Unfortunately that is now true of most young/promising English managers these days. The big clubs only seem to employ foreign coaches therefore they don't get a look in.

this is exactly the point i have been making for the past couple of months when touting alan curbishley for the job. according to one liverpool website, liverpool chiefs were speaking to him as early as april about taking over.

people say "well he hasn't got top level experience". well duh, that's because he's at charlton. he'll never improve as a manager a great deal there. the guy knows the premier league inside out and what it requires. these foreigners such as benitez don't.

like you say, premiership clubs are increasingly reluctant these days to give up and coming english managers a chance and i think that's a shame. nobody can guarantee success at liverpool. someone such as curbishley deserves a chance imo. it's absurd how people are knocking the guy already just for being in the frame.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby woof woof ! » Tue May 25, 2004 5:13 pm

Curbishley ? your having a laff :p
Yes he's done a great job at charlton over the last 13 (?) years,but we are not charlton we are Liverpool with everything that goes with it. It's only in the last two seasons that his side has made any impact. Sorry I for one don't see him as the answer to our prayers . There are more experienced /succesful managers out there. We haven't got time for on the job training and right now I think the Liverpool job is too BIG for someone with his experience .  :(

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby stmichael » Tue May 25, 2004 5:17 pm

i don't necessarily think he's the right man for the job, there just isn't one name which jumps out as the obvious choice. ???
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby greenred » Tue May 25, 2004 5:22 pm

I still cant see past MON. He has Liverpool legend stamped all over him.This club at this point is perfect for O`Neill,and O`Neill is perfect for the club.He is a Shankly or a Clough,his players adore him despite the fact he runs them into the ground.His Celtic team play controlled aggressive football that is perfect for the players at his disposal.They are not long ball,people who say that dont watch them.The fact that he is trying to attract Rivaldo proves he is willing to mix it a bit.At Liverpool he would have the money to buy a couple of flair players.At Celtic his transfer budget is almost zero yet he still uncovers quality from the youth team(Aiden Mcready and Liam Miller are quality) and free transfers.The bloke talks football with a passion,you can see it in his face.Ive never been so sure of anything in my life,Martin O`Neill is the right man for our club.
ImageImageImage
greenred
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Red=Great » Tue May 25, 2004 5:28 pm

Parry was quoted saying he prefer the new manager to have prior trophy winning experience. That alone should discount Curbishley from taking over. Since we are starting anew and the club need to get back to its winning way quickly, let's not take chances. Benitez looks the most obvious choice having done wonder at Valencia since 2001. Maurinho have also done well with a team lacking of superstars but one that gel well as a team and played attractive football. O'Neill is the abovious choice if we were to stay British. No Curbishley, Strachan or McLaren please!
Red=Great

Postby Woollyback » Tue May 25, 2004 5:35 pm

Celtic Connection wrote:Hey every one. I am a Celtic fan and also grew up supporting Liverpool due to my stepdad being a massive fan. Having seen King Kenny return to Celtic a couple of years ago as director of football and appoint JOHN BARNES as the bloody manager, I can quite honestly say that it would be a disaster if he were appointed as manager of Liverpool FC. Infact it was only because Martin O'neil came in that we managed to turn around a 23 point deficit from the previous season under Barnes, into an 18 point margin over Rangers with virtually the same set of players. The man is a genius and while I definetely don't want him to go, obviously if he were to go anywhere I would want it to be Anfield. With the players already there and with a significant transfer budget it would only take minimum two seasons to win the Premiership. I still don't think it will happen tho as he has already started planning for next season.

ps I have been reading this post for a year to keep up to date  and think it is great. Finally I posted something :D

Hi Celts, would say welcome to the forum but you're clearly pretty familiar with us all anyway!

On the topic of O'Neill, I tried looking on Celtic forums for some views but didn't manage to get very far. I was wondering what the gut feeling is at Celtic as to whether he'll leave or not? I remember the concensus of opinion at Leicester seemed to be right on the mark when firstly he turned down Leeds and then chose to go to Celtic
b*ll*c*ks and s*i*e
Woollyback
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby houllieroutplz » Tue May 25, 2004 5:51 pm

[B]HOW CAN ANY TRUE LIVERPOOL FAN SAY THAT DALJGLISH IS A BAD MANAGER HES KING KENNY YOU ******  ONEILL THE ONLY MAN FOR JOB WITH DALGO FOOTY DIRECTOR
houllieroutplz

Postby Woollyback » Tue May 25, 2004 5:54 pm

HOULLIEROUTPLZ, MAYBE TIME FOR A NAME-CHANGE BUDDY? APPOINTING KING KENNY AS MANAGER WOULD BE A DISASTER. HE'S HAD TOO LONG OUT OF THE GAME AND CLEARLY DOESN'T ENJOY THE PRESSURE OF THE GAME. ANFIELD LEGEND? YES. BEST LFC PLAYER OF ALL TIME? PROBABLY. GREAT MANAGER? NO.
b*ll*c*ks and s*i*e
Woollyback
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby greenred » Tue May 25, 2004 5:58 pm

Mourinho just got five votes in the last ten minutes.Someone fiddling the figures again?
ImageImageImage
greenred
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby barnesrush » Tue May 25, 2004 6:02 pm

surely o'neills experience of British football would make him the top candidate
but if he is unavailable i think the passing style Benitez has succeeded with at Valencia is what most liverpool fans would like to see brought to the extremely promising young team we have
cut me and i bleed red
barnesrush

Postby Red=Great » Tue May 25, 2004 6:04 pm

Woollyback wrote:HOULLIEROUTPLZ, MAYBE TIME FOR A NAME-CHANGE BUDDY?

SantaGiveHoullierTheSack has retire. Time to give it a rest  :D

Red=Great

Postby woof woof ! » Tue May 25, 2004 6:23 pm

Valencia and Charlton are both saying "hands off our mgr". Although Curbishley has a get out clause if we rule them out that leaves the obvious choices as Mourinho and O'Neil .
Outside of the obvious does anyone have any other recommendations ? .
Gus Hiddink has been mentioned (has the CV) Venables reported seen at JL airport,
(knows the premier inside out) .
:( :(

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

PreviousNext

Return to Football Related Polls