HITZFIELD
4%
QUEIROZ
No votes
OTHER
3%

Total votes : 102

Postby woof woof ! » Tue May 25, 2004 1:08 pm

Fair point about O'Neil/Celtic in the CL but you also have to take in to account the quality of his players . One or two very good as for the rest  ? average. I doubt whether Houllier Wenger or Ferguson could have done much better with them.
I be happy to give O'Neil a go with us. Also like Mourinho if only for the way he told Sir Bollex Ferguson where to stick his gum. :D :D :D

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby stmichael » Tue May 25, 2004 1:12 pm

woof woof ! wrote:Also like Mourinho if only for the way he told Sir Bollex Ferguson where to stick his gum. :D :D :D

yeah forget ferguson and wenger, that would be a real rivalry! :D
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby Stan Laurel » Tue May 25, 2004 1:48 pm

stmichael wrote:yeah forget ferguson and wenger, that would be a real rivalry! :D

That would be fantastic!!! :D  :D  :D
Stan Laurel
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Sean » Tue May 25, 2004 2:04 pm

Dalglish with Steve Hheighway as assistant.....and if Kenny isn't interested what about Toshack.  On another thread somebody commented that ex-Liverpool players have never become good managers, but Dalglish was superb, Keegan has done o.k. and Toshack brought Swansea from the 4th to the old 1st division in successive seasons before winning the title with Real Madrid.

Seán
Every Single Ball
Sean
LFC Super Member

Postby stmichael » Tue May 25, 2004 2:11 pm

Sean wrote:Dalglish with Steve Heighway as assistant.....and if Kenny isn't interested what about Toshack.  On another thread somebody commented that ex-Liverpool players have never become good managers, but Dalglish was superb, Keegan has done o.k. and Toshack brought Swansea from the 4th to the old 1st division in successive seasons before winning the title with Real Madrid.

Seán

dalglish's success was 15 years ago. since then the guy has had an absolute nightmare everywhere he has been. a liverpool legend, but not the answer. you may aswell bring john barnes back with him.

kevin keegan is a very poor tactical manager who always walks away when the going gets tough. never won anything either.

john toshack has never done anything worthwile managing in england. last season he was managing in the spanish second division and his current side (Murcia) have just been relegated.

i don't understand this whole notion that ex-players will be better managers. it's nonsense. there's too many foreigners in the game today who simply wouldn't give ex-players the respect they deserve.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby IstanBuL-FenerBaHce » Tue May 25, 2004 2:18 pm

If he wont come, for the next alternative; it can be Maurinho..
IstanBuL-FenerBaHce
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby woof woof ! » Tue May 25, 2004 3:40 pm

King Kenny took over an already GREAT team. When we finally needed a complete overhaul he left .Love the bone's of the fella but don't want him back as mgr.:)

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby Celtic Connection » Tue May 25, 2004 4:05 pm

Hey every one. I am a Celtic fan and also grew up supporting Liverpool due to my stepdad being a massive fan. Having seen King Kenny return to Celtic a couple of years ago as director of football and appoint JOHN BARNES as the bloody manager, I can quite honestly say that it would be a disaster if he were appointed as manager of Liverpool FC. Infact it was only because Martin O'neil came in that we managed to turn around a 23 point deficit from the previous season under Barnes, into an 18 point margin over Rangers with virtually the same set of players. The man is a genius and while I definetely don't want him to go, obviously if he were to go anywhere I would want it to be Anfield. With the players already there and with a significant transfer budget it would only take minimum two seasons to win the Premiership. I still don't think it will happen tho as he has already started planning for next season.

ps I have been reading this post for a year to keep up to date  and think it is great. Finally I posted something :D
Celtic Connection

Postby woof woof ! » Tue May 25, 2004 4:14 pm

Celtic Connection wrote:Hey every one. I am a Celtic fan and also grew up supporting Liverpool due to my stepdad being a massive fan. Having seen King Kenny return to Celtic a couple of years ago as director of football and appoint JOHN BARNES as the bloody manager, I can quite honestly say that it would be a disaster if he were appointed as manager of Liverpool FC. Infact it was only because Martin O'neil came in that we managed to turn around a 23 point deficit from the previous season under Barnes, into an 18 point margin over Rangers with virtually the same set of players. The man is a genius and while I definetely don't want him to go, obviously if he were to go anywhere I would want it to be Anfield. With the players already there and with a significant transfer budget it would only take minimum two seasons to win the Premiership. I still don't think it will happen tho as he has already started planning for next season.

ps I have been reading this post for a year to keep up to date  and think it is great. Finally I posted something :D

Thanks for the input, you better than most of us here understand why we want to nick your manager.
I'm surprised he wants to stay longer in scottish football . No disrespect but you really only have one other team to compete against.
:)

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby Scottbot » Tue May 25, 2004 4:14 pm

Good to have some one with Celtic connections posting, particularly with some calling for O'neil on this site. Hopefully you won't leave it so long for your next post!

Have you seen many of Celtics games this season? Forgetting the results, what do you think of the football O'neil teams play?
Scottbot
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Tue May 25, 2004 4:16 pm

the only thing o'neill can still acieve is winning something in europe, preferably the champions league, and we all know that is not going to happen. they may have a fortress at home but they can't win away.

incidentally, who do you consider the bigger club, celtic or liverpool? be honest. ???
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby Celtic Connection » Tue May 25, 2004 4:31 pm

I've only recently moved down south to ............ ahem........ London, so I have seen many live games this season but I do still have my season ticket. But we seriously do play some excellent football, I mean for 3 years now we have been unbeaten at home in Europe against the likes of Bayern, Juve, Valencia, Liverpool, Stutgart, Porto etc etc and if we didn't play some good football then I don;t thik that would happen.
And to answer ur question St. Michael it is a hard one. Liverpool Fc are THE most successful club in British football and in those terms are the biggest in the country in my opinion. However, Celtic have an enormous fan base and in my opinion we are one of the biggest actual clubs in the world. The only thing is that we play in the SPL and that is one of the worst leagues in the world and that in itself is holding us back from competing with the big boys.???
Celtic Connection

Postby stmichael » Tue May 25, 2004 4:34 pm

good answer but in the premiership i can't see celtic getting into the top 6.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby JBG » Tue May 25, 2004 4:35 pm

I'm pinning this topic for a while as its the issue on everyone's minds and I think we should try to stick to this thread for a while instead of starting millions of new "Who do you want the next manager to be?"

Let the debate begin!!!!
Jolly Bob Grumbine.
JBG
LFC Elite Member

Postby Celtic Connection » Tue May 25, 2004 4:43 pm

Absolutely no problems. With the team we have we would make top six. Witin a couple of years due to the revenue generated in the premiership and the fact we have a 60,000 seater stadium and 54,000 season ticket holders, we could then attract some of the top names in football.
Celtic Connection

PreviousNext

Return to Football Related Polls