MAMADOU SAKHO - Official Thread

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Mon Apr 21, 2014 10:33 am

Basil » Mon Apr 21, 2014 8:24 am wrote:I really can't believe how peoples opinion on Sakho is so divided, I even have the same discussions with my son. He says the same as a lot of you on here, "he's a beast" and "you should see the stats", I just look at how uncomfortable he is on the ball and cringe every time he has posession as he's so uncomfortable on the ball. I'll admit that he knows his limitations and plays to them so most of the time he does okay but he'll never be as class on the ball as Daniel Agger - and he's not as big !

In terms of passing the ball out of defence I think he's the best in the prem.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby 7_Kewell » Mon Apr 21, 2014 11:09 am

I like Sakho, but agree he had a nightmare yesterday.

However, he does add some much needed steel to our defence. Agger might be bigger, but he gets flattened by players half his size when it comes to headers.
“You cannot transfer the heart and soul of Liverpool Football Club, although I am sure there are many clubs who would like to buy it.”
7_Kewell
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Stu the Red » Mon Apr 21, 2014 11:27 am

Basil » Mon Apr 21, 2014 9:24 am wrote:I really can't believe how peoples opinion on Sakho is so divided, I even have the same discussions with my son. He says the same as a lot of you on here, "he's a beast" and "you should see the stats", I just look at how uncomfortable he is on the ball and cringe every time he has posession as he's so uncomfortable on the ball. I'll admit that he knows his limitations and plays to them so most of the time he does okay but he'll never be as class on the ball as Daniel Agger - and he's not as big !

Wow!

To say he's poor on the ball because of his appearance is quite simply ridiculous. The lad plays the ball on the deck to midfielders on the half turn or strikers and his distribution is absolutely superb. He hardly ever gives the thing away. In terms of his defending he certainly wasn't awful by any means. Not a great game, but certainly appears to be at least as good if not better than Agger, which can only be a good thing. Doesn't help when you're surrounded by an young kid, an accident waiting to happen  (Skrtel) a flop between the sticks and one of the worst right backs the club has ever seen!
Stu the Red
LFC Guru Member

Postby Fowler_E7 » Mon Apr 21, 2014 12:31 pm

Sakho is comfortably our best centre back IMO he has real class about him, i think once he learns the language properly he can start to be a real vocal presence and organise the others around him he could lead our defence for the foreseeable future
Fowler_E7
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby damjan193 » Mon Apr 21, 2014 4:40 pm

I think that his distribution above everything shouldn't be put into question. I agree with Stu, saying that he's bad with the ball at his feet just because he doesn't look so elegant (like Agger for example) is ridiculous. From what I've seen, he has good control and his passing is superb, maybe even better than Agger. His clumsy moments while defending is the only worry for me.
damjan193
LFC Super Member

Postby Basil » Tue Apr 22, 2014 8:33 am

Stu the Red » Mon Apr 21, 2014 10:27 am wrote:
Basil » Mon Apr 21, 2014 9:24 am wrote:I really can't believe how peoples opinion on Sakho is so divided, I even have the same discussions with my son. He says the same as a lot of you on here, "he's a beast" and "you should see the stats", I just look at how uncomfortable he is on the ball and cringe every time he has posession as he's so uncomfortable on the ball. I'll admit that he knows his limitations and plays to them so most of the time he does okay but he'll never be as class on the ball as Daniel Agger - and he's not as big !

Wow!

To say he's poor on the ball because of his appearance is quite simply ridiculous. The lad plays the ball on the deck to midfielders on the half turn or strikers and his distribution is absolutely superb. He hardly ever gives the thing away. In terms of his defending he certainly wasn't awful by any means. Not a great game, but certainly appears to be at least as good if not better than Agger, which can only be a good thing. Doesn't help when you're surrounded by an young kid, an accident waiting to happen  (Skrtel) a flop between the sticks and one of the worst right backs the club has ever seen!

Where did I say he looks poor on the ball because of his appearance ? I think the exact opposite, I think people are making out he's so good because of his appearance.
Basil

Postby red till i die!! » Tue Apr 22, 2014 2:27 pm

damjan193 » Mon Apr 21, 2014 4:40 pm wrote:I think that his distribution above everything shouldn't be put into question. I agree with Stu, saying that he's bad with the ball at his feet just because he doesn't look so elegant (like Agger for example) is ridiculous. From what I've seen, he has good control and his passing is superb, maybe even better than Agger. His clumsy moments while defending is the only worry for me.

i agree on the first part  :nod
the worrying thing for me is that he can be reckless, like the challenge on sunday that was no slip. his timing on headers isnt that good and he rarely gets on the end of them cleanly and cannot direct them. his mobility is poor and he often loses a yard on himself with a bad touch or through indecision. his control isnt great either once a ball has a bit of pace on it.
as you pointed out though that his distribution especially to pick out midfielders is second to none but for me thats not enough to certainly warrant him as the best defender at the club. being honest i fail to see much of an upgrade on coates especially for the fee paid. based on what ive seen so far from him id say we where fleeced.
red till i die!!
LFC Super Member

Postby Penguins » Tue Apr 22, 2014 3:19 pm

Obviously we got fleeced..
Paying 14 million for a 3rd choice cb with 1 year left on the contracr :-)
But he's done ok. Even if Skrtel is the most hated player by some supporters I still he has been better than Sakho this season.
One day Sakho's rash challenges in the area will cost us dearly.
Penguins
LFC Super Member

Postby SouthCoastShankly » Tue Apr 22, 2014 3:47 pm

Wow!

Skrtel is better than Sakho. I'm sure you'll politely disagree but the reality is your view on Skrtel is one of a very small minority.

Where Sakho has surprised me is his ability to dislodge Agger. I rate Agger but he is being kept out of the side by Sakho.
SouthCoastShankly
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Tue Apr 22, 2014 3:49 pm

I just hope him and Skrtel push higher up the pitch against Chelsea. Hazard aside they don't really have any pace in the side and they aren't going to run in behind.

Neville and Carragher brought made a good point last night about how deep were dropping in defence at times against Norwich in the 2nd half. I'm not sure if it's by design or a comfort thing but it invites added pressure.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby Boocity » Tue Apr 22, 2014 5:48 pm

Penguins » Tue Apr 22, 2014 2:19 pm wrote:Obviously we got fleeced..
Paying 14 million for a 3rd choice cb with 1 year left on the contracr :-)
But he's done ok. Even if Skrtel is the most hated player by some supporters I still he has been better than Sakho this season.
One day Sakho's rash challenges in the area will cost us dearly.

Really, are you for real, rash challenges in the area?? haven't you ever seen Skrtel trying to swap jerseys with the opposition during a corner ???
Boocity
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Boocity » Tue Apr 22, 2014 5:51 pm

SouthCoastShankly » Tue Apr 22, 2014 2:47 pm wrote:

Wow!

Skrtel is better than Sakho. I'm sure you'll politely disagree but the reality is your view on Skrtel is one of a very small minority.

Where Sakho has surprised me is his ability to dislodge Agger. I rate Agger but he is being kept out of the side by Sakho.

Agger was liability in the last few games he started thats why Sakho dislodged him
Boocity
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Stu the Red » Wed Apr 23, 2014 9:42 am

SouthCoastShankly » Tue Apr 22, 2014 3:47 pm wrote:

Wow!

We've conceeded more goals than Hull and Palace.

Enough said.
Stu the Red
LFC Guru Member

Postby SouthCoastShankly » Wed Apr 23, 2014 10:41 am

There's five players in our defence.

End of.
SouthCoastShankly
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Stu the Red » Wed Apr 23, 2014 10:42 am

SouthCoastShankly » Wed Apr 23, 2014 10:41 am wrote:There's five players in our defence.

End of.

And according to you they're all world class.
Stu the Red
LFC Guru Member

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion