SOTIRIOS KYRGIAKOS - Official Thread

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Fauxy » Wed Aug 19, 2009 1:36 pm

Greek defender Sotiris Kyrgiakos has revealed he is close to joining Liverpool.

The Reds are believed to have agreed a fee of €3million (£2.5million) with AEK Athens for the imposing central defender.

Kyrgiakos claims on his official website he has accepted an offer from Liverpool and is set to travel to England to tie up the move.

"I would like to inform the fans of AEK that on Monday night I received an offer from Liverpool, an offer which I have accepted," Kyrgiakos told his personal website.

The Greek international will help fill the void left by Sami Hyypia's departure from Anfield and he will provide cover for Jamie Carragher, Martin Skrtel and Daniel Agger.

If this is true, it looks like a good buy to me. This guy is the captain of AEK so can help organise the defence and he is very good in the air.
Fauxy

Postby RedBlood » Wed Aug 19, 2009 1:38 pm

never seen him play but we do need back up and hes experienced and cheap so could be a good buy although i would have liked to have seen kelly as fourth choice
RedBlood
LFC Super Member

Postby stmichael » Wed Aug 19, 2009 1:41 pm

It's in the rumour thread
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby Owzat » Wed Aug 19, 2009 1:46 pm

Get the feeling I looked at him on a footy management game but never bought him. About the same price as Sami, hopefully he will be Sami II
Never buy from PC World, product quality is poor and their 'customer service' is even poorer
Owzat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby tubby » Wed Aug 19, 2009 1:53 pm

How old is he?
My new blog for my upcoming holiday.

http://kunstevie.wordpress.com/
tubby
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby alxy » Wed Aug 19, 2009 2:00 pm

30 yrs old I believe, so looks like he's just the band-aid for our defending problems at the moment. The young lads should still get a shot next few years
alxy

Postby Fauxy » Wed Aug 19, 2009 2:14 pm

If he only cost us £2.5 Million then we can still probably afford a player such as tuncay  :eyebrow
Fauxy

Postby Fauxy » Wed Aug 19, 2009 2:27 pm

:O  the guy is 6 foot 4 which might explain why he is good in the air
Fauxy

Postby Highland Red » Wed Aug 19, 2009 2:34 pm

Is this the same dude that played for Rangers a couple of seasons ago? If so, we should steer well clear. A pure bombscare of a defender and very little in the way of talent. :(
Highland Red

Postby Reg » Wed Aug 19, 2009 2:52 pm

Zorba the Greek....... thats all we freakin' need... the missing piece of the jigsaw......  :laugh:
Reg
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Roger Red Hat » Wed Aug 19, 2009 2:56 pm

Fauxy wrote: :O  the guy is 6 foot 4 which might explain why he is good in the air

what was Crouchies excuse then?  :p
Sex, drugs and sausage rolls!
Roger Red Hat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby puroresu » Wed Aug 19, 2009 3:12 pm

Highland Red wrote:Is this the same dude that played for Rangers a couple of seasons ago? If so, we should steer well clear. A pure bombscare of a defender and very little in the way of talent. :(

same dude.  I am shocked we are signing him
puroresu

Postby Reg » Wed Aug 19, 2009 3:13 pm

AEK Says It Agreed to Sell Defender Kyrgiakos to Liverpool

Aug. 19 (Bloomberg) -- Greece’s AEK Athens said it agreed to sell defender Sotiris Kyrgiakos to English Premier League soccer team Liverpool.

“Kyrgiakos wants to move to Liverpool and we have agreed to sell him because it’s a big opportunity for him and now we must search for another player in his position,” AEK spokeswoman Marina Lampropoulou said in a telephone interview. She said she was unable to provide financial details.

Yesterday, Kyrgiakos, a 6-foot-5 center-back, said on his Web site that he had received an offer to join the 18-time English champion. Liverpool spokesman Ian Cotton declined to comment.

“I have taken my final decision which was accepted by the president and the coach,” Kyrgiakos, 30, said on his Web site.

Liverpool manager Rafael Benitez has been seeking cover in the center for a defense nursing several injuries. Daniel Agger has been ruled out for up to three weeks by a back problem and Martin Skrtel is an injury doubt for tonight’s match with Stoke after clashing heads with fellow center-half Jamie Carragher in the 2-1 loss at Tottenham three days ago.

Kyrgiakos, who’s played 49 times for Greece, has also appeared for Rangers, Eintracht Frankfurt and Panathinaikos. U.K. media reports say the transfer fee is about 1.5 million pounds ($2.5 million).

:( :( :(   I guess he´ll open a kebab shop on Smithdown Road as well.......
Reg
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby tubby » Wed Aug 19, 2009 3:20 pm

I thought we were linked with that Atletic Bilbao CB. This guy is :censored:.
My new blog for my upcoming holiday.

http://kunstevie.wordpress.com/
tubby
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Fauxy » Wed Aug 19, 2009 3:27 pm

Is he better than Ayala at least? Coz this guy is going to be fourth choice
Fauxy

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion