Nfl in wembley - Could happen 4 times a year

Please use this forum for general Non-Football related chat

Postby JoeTerp » Wed May 16, 2007 1:27 am

http://sports.iwon.com/news/05102007/v6393.html

New York and Miami are already going to play on Oct. 28th, but this new proposed idea would have 16 games a year overseas with probably 4 a year in the UK (guessing either all at wembley or a split with old trafford)

Anyone going to the game in October? 
Whats the chance that there could be a Premiership game played here in the states to teach us yanks how the game is supposed to be played at the club level?  Best chance I think would be if United played a small club away that was in the south somewhere.  Although the smaller club would be very dissapointed that thier biggest game was taken away from them they would end up making a ton of money on the game in the states especially if it was on prime time TV on ESPN, plus they would be able to get their name out and grow their global fan base.  Still seems impossible.
JoeTerp

Postby LFC2007 » Wed May 16, 2007 1:52 am

I think you'll see a few European teams in America this summer for their usual pre-season marketing tour. The likes of Celtic, Milan, Man U, Barca, Real Madrid and even us have been there in the past.

As for an actual Premiership match being played in the states, that is highly unlikely to happen. The premier league have rules, that would breach the rules without a doubt, I'm sure they have a rule somewhere saying 'English premier league matches must be played in England'. If the premier league did ratify a match in the U.S. then the logistics wouldn't be worth the hassles for any premiership club, the fixture list is clogged up enough as it is. A fixture in America would be a major detriment to any premiership club serious about challenging in the league.

As for NFL, not my cup of tea personally. There seems to be an ad. break every two minutes and the play is too intermittent. Some NFL games are shown here in the U.K. but it's like waiting and waiting and waiting, then a ball is thrown, some big black guys ruck in the middle, then you see a lad at the top pegging it across the line, then I think is that it? Then they cut to an ad.
Football is just 45 minutes of pure flowing football either side of a 10 minute half-time break. Okay you get frustrating 0-0 draws occasionally, but it tends to deliver in the premier league more often than not.
As much as I try to get into other sports, NFL isn't one that I can identify with as being entertaining. Just my personal opinion though, nothing against people who do like it.
LFC2007

Postby The Manhattan Project » Wed May 16, 2007 3:17 am

Manhattan hates American football.
china syndrome 80512640 reactor meltdown fusion element
no uniquely indefinable one 5918 identification unknown 113
source transmission 421 general panic hysteria 02 outbreak
foreign mutation 001505 maximum code destruction nuclear
reflection 01044 power plutonium helix atomic energy wave
The Manhattan Project
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby babu » Wed May 16, 2007 3:44 am

The Manhattan Project wrote:Manhattan hates American football.

babu hates that manhattan hates american football, that's babu's job

oh i see the appeal in speaking about myself in third person, suddenly i am more important.  :D

babu
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JoeTerp » Wed May 16, 2007 6:06 am

For almost my entire life I hated football and thought that everyone that played it were pussies, especially being an American footballer, but once I gave the sport a chance and committed myself to understanding the game and watching it being played on its highest level I realized that there is a good reason why its the most popular game in the world, and I almost like it more than American football maybe one day I will, but I still understand, love, and know the players better, and am exposed to so much more American football. its an incredible sport with some of the most talented and diverse athletes in the world.  And don't think that all of football is all fast paced all the time. granted there might not be formal breaks in action, but there are pauses during set pieces and sometimes just knocking it around at the back.

One thing that I think I have noticed was that it seems most people in the UK seem to be one sport fans and maybe just passively taking interest in 1 or 2 others. do you think this is true?  very different from the American sports culture
JoeTerp

Postby 66-1112520797 » Wed May 16, 2007 6:38 am

For almost my entire life I hated football and thought that everyone that played it were pussies, especially being an American footballer, but once I gave the sport a chance and committed myself to understanding the game and watching it being played on its highest level I realized that there is a good reason why its the most popular game in the world, and I almost like it more than American football maybe one day I will, but I still understand, love, and know the players better, and am exposed to so much more American football. its an incredible sport with some of the most talented and diverse athletes in the world.  And don't think that all of football is all fast paced all the time. granted there might not be formal breaks in action, but there are pauses during set pieces and sometimes just knocking it around at the back.

One thing that I think I have noticed was that it seems most people in the UK seem to be one sport fans and maybe just passively taking interest in 1 or 2 others. do you think this is true?  very different from the American sports culture

Good points mate fair play to ya.

I dont know about everyone in the UK, but myself I suppose I consider myself as a one true sports fan. Yes and thats obviously football, the English version :D Their are some other sports I dont mind watching but I wouldnt say I'm passionate about them as much. I do like my snooker, watching it and playing it.

But when I moved over to Australia, it made me realise what you've just said. Because more or less every Aussie likes their Rugby, Cricket, even Gay FL :D  oh and tennis. But they all seem to be on par with eachothers. Where as I soley LOVE football, maybe the British are like that (me) I cant say it would be intersesting to see what others would say.
66-1112520797

Postby babu » Wed May 16, 2007 6:51 am

Bamaga man wrote:Gay FL

cheeky git. don't let johnny hear you say that, you'd be deported faster than you could say The Lions.

babu
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 66-1112520797 » Wed May 16, 2007 6:53 am

babu wrote:
Bamaga man wrote:Gay FL

cheeky git. don't let johnny hear you say that, you'd be deported faster than you could say The Lions.

:D
66-1112520797

Postby LFC2007 » Wed May 16, 2007 3:40 pm

JoeTerp wrote:One thing that I think I have noticed was that it seems most people in the UK seem to be one sport fans and maybe just passively taking interest in 1 or 2 others. do you think this is true?  very different from the American sports culture

No, that is entirely wrong. Most people here like loads of other sports, e.g. I like football as well as rugby, tennis, golf, skiing, snooker, rowing, cricket (only when I'm really bored), darts, fishing, atheltics (only the women), gymnastics (only the women) and ice skating (only the women).

I think brits have a more diverse interest in sport than Americans tend to. I have friends in America and bar tennis and golf, the only other sports that interest them are American sports e.g. Baseball, NFL, NHL and Basketball. It begins with American sport and ends with American sport. Whereas in Europe people tend to like a diverse range of sports, you do get those that are exclusively football people, and most of us have a main sport that interests them, but everybody I know does like a bit of rugby league, cricket, darts, pool/snooker from time to time. I know people for example who love Liverpool but also go and support StHelens rugby league side when they can.

I think Britain has a connection with the rest of the word in sport terms that the Americans just don't have. For example, football unites us with the rest of the world in that we all play football and everyone take an interest in our league. I can't think of a country other than North America that doesn't love football, e.g. in Asia, Africa, South America, across Europe, maybe Australia is similar to the U.S. but at least with them we have common interests in rugby union and cricket.

I know ice hockey is fairly big in some Eatern European countries and that Baseball is big in Japan, but their main interest is in football. The only sports that really unite us with the U.S. are maybe tennis, golf, and rowing. That's all I can think of.
LFC2007

Postby LFC2007 » Wed May 16, 2007 7:26 pm

JoeTerp wrote:And don't think that all of football is all fast paced all the time. granted there might not be formal breaks in action, but there are pauses during set pieces and sometimes just knocking it around at the back.

You can't compare the flowing nature of Association football to that of American football, they have a minute of play then a break, I just find it hard to get into it because it's a running game, there's no passing other than the delivery from the quarter back.

A pause for a set piece is momentary in association football, in U.S. football it's like waiting for a train at Waterloo.

They all line up, take their positions, the guy lobs the ball, a few lads peg it then the whistle's blown again.
LFC2007

Postby dawson99 » Wed May 16, 2007 7:30 pm

american Football is actually a class sport, if you are a betting man. so much to bet on to keep you occupied and it does flow faster the more you get into it. i'll be going in october
0118 999 881 999 119 7253
dawson99
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby The Ace1983 » Wed May 16, 2007 7:34 pm

Got my tickets ages ago. I've seen games a couple of times in the states and there is a lot more about the spectacle of the occasion than there is in real football. But the game is good and if you apreciate something like chess, you can appreciate the game much better because it so overly tactical and precise. I played the game when I was at Uni and trust me, they need the pads (before anyone makes that old joke). I did end up getting concust in the first training session but I was lining up against some 7 foot tall Nigerian bloke, a 350ibs West Country bloke and a Welsh Under-21 rugby player so I guess I had it coming. Fun though.
The Ace1983
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JoeTerp » Wed May 16, 2007 11:28 pm

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2872326

40,000 tickets in 90 minutes is nothing compared to how quickly the U21 italy match went, but thats still pretty fast.
JoeTerp

Postby kunilson » Wed May 16, 2007 11:38 pm

wish i had a ticket....dont follow the sport intensely but i have watched it for many years....always watch the superbowl.
only the constant ads :censored: me off
kunilson
LFC Super Member

Postby LFC2007 » Wed May 16, 2007 11:51 pm

That really :censored:.es me off too, there's an ad. break every 2 minutes, kills the game for me.
LFC2007

Next

Return to General Chat Forum