Nfl in wembley - Could happen 4 times a year

Please use this forum for general Non-Football related chat

Postby JoeTerp » Thu May 17, 2007 9:56 am

the more people that watch the higher the ratings, higher ratings means ads cost more and  more ads means more money in the TV deal for the league more money in the league the more you can pay your players;  Plus nobody has to pay to watch their team. its like if every game for liverpool was on BBC.  No need to buy sky.  ads are a small price to pay to allow anybody with a tele to be able to  afford to watch their team play.

But yes i do agree there are too many commercials, it does kill the pace of the game.

"You're a fan - you just don't know it" is the new MLS ad campaign to get mainstream America excited about football.  It shows people's favorite attributes about other sports, passing, vision, drama, passion, etc... with a highlight from american football and then a highlight from a football match showing the same skills on the pitch.  I think there are probably more similarities between football and american football than people give credit for.  They are very much heavily dependent on the team aspect where a score has to come from all 11 men working together plus a moment of brilliance from one or two.
JoeTerp

Postby 66-1112520797 » Thu May 17, 2007 10:25 am

No, that is entirely wrong. Most people here like loads of other sports, e.g. I like football as well as rugby, tennis, golf, skiing, snooker, rowing, cricket (only when I'm really bored), darts, fishing, atheltics (only the women), gymnastics (only the women) and ice skating (only the women).

Thats not entirely wrong, like I said I've experianced the Australian way of life, as I'm lucky enough to live here. Their more diverse through their sports than I or anyone I used to know back in England. So to say that is entirely wrong is wrong.

What helps over here Obviously is the weather, to go outdoors and play all kinds of sports, its not quite the same in England.
66-1112520797

Postby JoeTerp » Thu May 17, 2007 10:48 am

LFC2007 wrote:you do get those that are exclusively football people, and most of us have a main sport that interests them,

I obviously couldn't be "entirely wrong"

Although most people in America can pick their favorite sport the breakdown is much more even like 40% NFL, 35% NBA 25% Baseball.  But most Americans are even more diverse than that. I would have to say my personal Breakdown would be

NFL- 20%
College Football - 19%
European Football - 17%
College Basketball - 14%
Baseball - 11%
NBA - 8%
College Lacrosse - 4%
Golf - 3%
MLS -2%
(NHL, NASCAR, Boxing, Olympics) - 2%
JoeTerp

Postby Big Niall » Thu May 17, 2007 1:04 pm

As we are not from the american football culture the 1 hour highlights show once a week is the best format. they used to have one on channel 4 years ago when the fridge was playing, joe montana etc. I really enjoyed watching that.

I couldn't spend 4 hours watching a match that is still very foreign.
Big Niall
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby woof woof ! » Thu May 17, 2007 4:13 pm

I used to be into American football big time . The 49'ers were my team, f'uckin incredible athletes . Some of the receivers could apparently qualify for the 100m olympic event , they're that quick.

NFL however , despite the athletic ability of the players involved is less about individual ability and vision and more about strategic planning . It is essentially four hours of dead ball situations. Basically give the ball to the quarterback and he throws it to a receiver who then legs it towards the end zone.

I do remember one game however (New Orleans v Dallas ? ) where the receiver having taken the pass from the QB ran with the ball and then passed it to another player , kinda english rugby style, the only time I ever saw it happen . The american commentators were creaming in their pants
:D . I think they called it an "Apache" "Comannche" ? (Joe will probably know).

Anyhow, if you're into strategy and tactics, NFL is worth another look . Although I must admit it's the one game that I actually enjoy more on tv than to see live , mainly because of the exhaustive and explanatory punditry that goes with it.   :)

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby LFC2007 » Thu May 17, 2007 6:41 pm

JoeTerp wrote:
LFC2007 wrote:you do get those that are exclusively football people, and most of us have a main sport that interests them,

Although most people in America can pick their favorite sport the breakdown is much more even like 40% NFL, 35% NBA 25% Baseball.  But most Americans are even more diverse than that. I would have to say my personal Breakdown would be

NFL- 20%
College Football - 19%
European Football - 17%
College Basketball - 14%
Baseball - 11%
NBA - 8%
College Lacrosse - 4%
Golf - 3%
MLS -2%

Yes, but America seems to have a culture of sport purely based in and around America. The sports you mention are almost exclusively American and played in America, in Britain we share competitions with Europe and the rest of the world. Something I think America lacks. Sport begins and ends in America.
LFC2007

Postby dawson99 » Thu May 17, 2007 6:50 pm

i like nascar as well..and ice hockey... the only one i cant really stand is baseball... just cant work it out...

american football is good tho, get the lads (or ladettes) round, order pizza and get some beers...
0118 999 881 999 119 7253
dawson99
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Bad Bob » Thu May 17, 2007 7:43 pm

LFC2007 wrote:
JoeTerp wrote:

NFL- 20%
College Football - 19%
European Football - 17%
College Basketball - 14%
Baseball - 11%
NBA - 8%
College Lacrosse - 4%
Golf - 3%
MLS -2%

Yes, but America seems to have a culture of sport purely based in and around America. The sports you mention are almost exclusively American and played in America, in Britain we share competitions with Europe and the rest of the world. Something I think America lacks. Sport begins and ends in America.

Tends to happen when you have a population of 302 million people, mate.  To be fair, the Americans do love the Olympics too.
Bad Bob
LFC Guru Member

Postby Bad Bob » Thu May 17, 2007 7:54 pm

dawson99 wrote:i like nascar as well..and ice hockey... the only one i cant really stand is baseball... just cant work it out...

american football is good tho, get the lads (or ladettes) round, order pizza and get some beers...

I think with baseball you need to grow up playing it in order to appreciate it.  If you play it, you respect the subtleties (true of any sport, I grant you, but baseball is all about the subtleties).  There's also a definite nostalgia aspect to it--it evokes a particular romanticized view of the American past that appeals to a lot of people.  Having said that, I played baseball for 18 years and can't be bothered following it anymore.  In recent years too much has changed: major work stoppages, teams moving around, top players switching teams every couple of seasons, drastic changes to team uniforms (imagine Liverpool switching from red to blue for a few seasons and then going back to red?) etc.  The good old days of baseball have vanished and, not surprisingly, the fan base has eroded as a result.
Bad Bob
LFC Guru Member

Postby Scottbot » Thu May 17, 2007 9:09 pm

JoeTerp wrote:http://sports.iwon.com/news/05102007/v6393.html

New York and Miami are already going to play on Oct. 28th, but this new proposed idea would have 16 games a year overseas with probably 4 a year in the UK (guessing either all at wembley or a split with old trafford)

Anyone going to the game in October? 
Whats the chance that there could be a Premiership game played here in the states to teach us yanks how the game is supposed to be played at the club level?  Best chance I think would be if United played a small club away that was in the south somewhere.  Although the smaller club would be very dissapointed that thier biggest game was taken away from them they would end up making a ton of money on the game in the states especially if it was on prime time TV on ESPN, plus they would be able to get their name out and grow their global fan base.  Still seems impossible.

I love the game Joe. It will never come close to footy but it's a great sport. Have been watching it since 87 when Doug Williams tore up Denver in the Superbowl. I'm a big Raiders fan and am looking forward to what Jamarcus Russell can do this season. Am hoping to get a ticket off a tout (is there any other way these days) for the game at Wembley next season.

PM me if you ever wanna talk NFL mate, i don't know anyone who follows the sport.
Scottbot
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JoeTerp » Thu May 17, 2007 9:56 pm

woof woof ! wrote:I do remember one game however (New Orleans v Dallas ? ) where the receiver having taken the pass from the QB ran with the ball and then passed it to another player , kinda english rugby style, the only time I ever saw it happen . The american commentators were creaming in their pants
:D . I think they called it an "Apache" "Comannche" ? (Joe will probably know).

I believe the play you are talking about is number 16 on this list. Don't know what you mean by apache, technically its called a lateral.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Tq8dBQdTZg&NR=1

the first clip #20 is from one of the best games I have ever seen live.  Equivalent of a League Two team winning the FA Cup with an equalizer in injury time and then winning in extra time in the 120th minute against Man U.

this play is regarded as the greatest/craziest play in american football history. kinda funny that its a rugby play.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Awax0xMDcdY
JoeTerp

Postby Sabre » Thu May 17, 2007 10:00 pm

Yes, but America seems to have a culture of sport purely based in and around America. The sports you mention are almost exclusively American and played in America, in Britain we share competitions with Europe and the rest of the world.

Not really. You seem to like games to play over a pitch. You ride well horses, you have good football, you do have that thing called cricket, then that other sport that you ride a horse and give a ball with a hammer, and you have good athletes too.

But in the sports that are done under a roof, and that's something that always surprised me because it rains a lot, you don't care at all: Waterpolo? Basketball? Handball? Volley-ball? every sport played in-door, you're not interested for some reason I don't know.
SOS member #1499

Drummerphil, never forgotten.
Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby The Manhattan Project » Thu May 17, 2007 10:30 pm

I just had an idea for a "Soccer AM" skit.

Instead of "BOSTON GOALS" where Americans commentate on English football matches, they should do something called "MATCHUP GAME OF THE DAY" where John Motson and David Pleat try to announce a NFL game.
china syndrome 80512640 reactor meltdown fusion element
no uniquely indefinable one 5918 identification unknown 113
source transmission 421 general panic hysteria 02 outbreak
foreign mutation 001505 maximum code destruction nuclear
reflection 01044 power plutonium helix atomic energy wave
The Manhattan Project
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JoeTerp » Thu May 17, 2007 11:17 pm

Just watched a bunch of BOSTON GOALS!!! on youtube. HILARIOUS.  I love how over the top they are.  HE IS REJECTED!. :laugh:  things get a little WWF.  Ryan from twellllllllve ... he makes it  :laugh:
JoeTerp

Postby The Manhattan Project » Fri May 18, 2007 12:33 am

Manhattan loves Soccer AM.
china syndrome 80512640 reactor meltdown fusion element
no uniquely indefinable one 5918 identification unknown 113
source transmission 421 general panic hysteria 02 outbreak
foreign mutation 001505 maximum code destruction nuclear
reflection 01044 power plutonium helix atomic energy wave
The Manhattan Project
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to General Chat Forum