Nfl in wembley - Could happen 4 times a year

Please use this forum for general Non-Football related chat

Postby Bad Bob » Fri May 18, 2007 6:02 pm

Sabre wrote:
Bad Bob wrote:
JoeTerp wrote:Its hard for Americans to get into the more Euro sports because for the most part people only like to watch a sport where they can see the best of the best compete (big reason why football isnt as big here)

I know what you're saying, mate, but just to be clear: you mean many Americans can't get into "soccer" because the level of talent in the (U.S.-based) MLS is much lower than that found in the European (or South American) leagues.  If the best are all playing in Europe--and if you can only see those European games on speciality sports channels at somewhat awkward times of day--why would you watch the MLS?  The same applies with watching American football in Canada.  There's a minority of die-hard CFL supporters but most Canadian football (pointy ball) fans prefer to watch the NFL because that's where the talent is.  (The CFL is a handful of Canadian players surrounded by NFL cast-offs).

Because when you like a lot a game, talent is not that important.

Plus, it's the only way one day that sport will be great.

Look at the division two in English football. Go to a Stadium, and see the fans there. Last year or two years ago we had here a guest from Burnley FC. He was telling us that he was happy because after some years they eventually had 2 or 3 good youngsters. That lad I'm sure he appreciates LFC's quality too!! we all like good football!! but when you really like a game you can get hooked to minor clubs aswell, even in the conference league.

That's why I tend to say that in England there are true fans, because there's not only good crowds in the top league, also in the minor ones.

That applies in North America to a certain extent as well, mate, but only in the established sports.  There will always be a fan base for the equivalent of the English lower divisions in the big four N. American sports: football, baseball, basketball and hockey.  That is, you'll find lots of fans supporting "Minor League" baseball teams, or "Junior A" hockey teams or college (or even high school) football and basketball teams.  In part, it's because these are the places where you get to see the stars of the future play but, in many cases, it also has a lot to do with team loyalty and "supporting your local club."

But, for sports like "soccer" which are trying to break into the N. American market, there isn't that same tradition of supporting "lesser quality" teams and players.  This is why domestic "soccer" leagues will never really crack into the mainstream in N. America, IMO.  The fans who truly love the sport do what Joe and I are doing: they follow top class teams and leagues overseas via the internet or "niche programming" on television.  I'll happily take next Wednesday afternoon off to watch the Champions League final from Athens (airs at 14:30 for me) and I'm more than happy to get up at 7:30 on a Saturday morning to watch Liverpool in the Premiership.  But, put Toronto FC on my television screen at 20:00 and I'm more likely to watch a re-run of CSI.  Maybe it's a North American mentality but, for me, once I've seen the best of the best play the game, watching poorer players and teams closer to home has no appeal...even if I know it would be good for the sport in the long run.
Bad Bob
LFC Guru Member

Postby Sabre » Fri May 18, 2007 6:10 pm

, put Toronto FC on my television screen at 20:00 and I'm more likely to watch a re-run of CSI.

:laugh:

Good explanation to be honest.  :laugh:
SOS member #1499

Drummerphil, never forgotten.
Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Scottbot » Sat May 19, 2007 12:12 am

LFC2007 wrote:You don't see the American national teams playing teams from all over the world like you do with say football, rugby or cricket in international and club tournaments like we do, e.g. the champions league, the ashes, Heineken cup, European challenge cup, Lions tour, RBS six nations, world series cricket, cricket world cup, rugby world cup, football world cup, Formual 1.

It's not really possible for most of the sports mate because of the way American sports are set-up with the franshise system, the collegiate draft and perhaps more importantly, no national teams. The rest of the world simply wouldn't be able to catch-up or compete even if it wanted to. This is particularly true of the NFL and Baseball. They are American sports and they always will be and perhaps that is why the winners of these two leagues can somewhat ludicrously call themselves 'World Champions' and winners of the 'World Series'. Sure they have tried to export NFL to the rest of the world with the World League (remember the London Monarchs?) and now with NFL Europe but even these leagues are filled with NFL cast-offs, NFL hopefuls and a few home national players to help make the locals think that it is 'their' team.
Scottbot
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby LFC2007 » Sat May 19, 2007 12:50 am

I completely agree with that Scott, I just think it's to their detriment on a cultural level as well as a sporting level that this is the case.
LFC2007

Postby skipper » Tue May 29, 2007 3:08 am

I live in the U.S. and I follow football (American and world), baseball, basketball, occasionally hockey and golf.  I can watch some other events too, like the Daytona 500 or the Kentucky Derby.  I love athletics in general.

I know people who just love footy and others who hate it.  But I also have friends who hate the NBA or dislike watching baseball.  It all depends on your tastes but more importantly, your interest in the game.  I could watch the most boring Liverpool match there is and I would still be interested because I have a team to support.  Americans who don't like footy have most likely NEVER watched European matches and have no team to support. 

I could get interested in many sports because I have teams to cheer on.  Boring, annoying ads, whatever, I don't care as long as my team plays well.  To get into another sport, try to watch and keep track of some matches.  You will soon realize "your" team and supporting them will allow you to follow matches closely, even if they aren't as exciting as some of the other sports out there.

I never get to see live Premiership or FA Cup matches here but I follow them as closely as I can.  I also try to plan my schedule so I can watch Liverpool in the CL.  This forum has also helped greatly with my development as a football observer.

I don't see why Americans would not like football.  I know that high school and college athletics (especially American football and basketball) are huge and have fantastic atmospheres.  People know each other and they are a part of a tight family.  World Football is the same way.  The atmosphere is matched by none and the excitement and anticipation is incredible.

I sat for three hours in the rain for an NFL game between my New York Jets and rival Miami Dolphins.  It was pouring rain and there wasn't a single score in the game until 43:25 (2:25 left in the 3rd quarter).  That's one of the most boring starts to an NFL game you'll ever see.  But I wouldn't trade it for the world because I got to root for my team live in the stadium.  I would do the same for Liverpool.  Whenever I get to visit Anfield, I would enjoy myself no matter what the conditions are.  I'm a supporter and I will be with my team.

If you want to like another sport, follow a team and you could get attached.  Even as a diverse fan, I still almost never watch matches where my team isn't playing.  It's the support that counts the most, ,more so than the actual game itself.
Last edited by skipper on Tue May 29, 2007 3:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
You'll Never Walk Alone

RIP Phil
skipper
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Previous

Return to General Chat Forum