SIMON MIGNOLET- Official thread

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Reg » Thu Jan 14, 2016 1:13 pm

Ok, everyone jump up and down, stamp your feet and shake head whilst screaming 'I'm so unhappy, I'm so sad and its all Migs fault, I weally weally hate him'.

Bunch of whinging pooftas.
Reg
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby number 8 ynwa » Thu Jan 14, 2016 1:25 pm

he hasn't been the best keeper we've ever had but I think that could be down to the fact that currently we have the worst centre backs I can ever remember.  I think Klopp sees enough with Migs in training to realise he is a good keeper.  He will hopefully bring in some proper big hard CB's in the summer which will sort our defence out and ease the pressure on our keeper.
number 8 ynwa
LFC Basic Member

Postby kazza » Thu Jan 14, 2016 2:53 pm

I think we will never really progress with him as the starter and I have said that from day one, he has too many mistakes in him that cost us matches. After Arsenals second goal they suddenly improved in confidence when up until then they were being played of the park. Unfortunately his awful mistakes breaks our will and fills opposing teams with hope as they know he is a liability. It is frustrating to watch time and time again throughout a season. Frankly I don't get this "best shot stopper in the league" cr@p. There are easily five or six keepers much better than him at stopping shots, rarely does he make a game turning save. In fact you could probably count on one hand the world class saves he has made since joining. Their third goal last night was a good finish but the kind of ball that would have been saved by a truly great shot stopper.

Buy a world class keeper and use him as a deputy, that is as good as it would get for him unless he played for Sunderland again. I am not angry at him as he is trying, he is just not good enough. Like others I want Ward to play against Utd and I have never seen him or know anything about him, I just feel secure in the knowledge that he cannot be worse than Mignolet.
kazza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 7_Kewell » Thu Jan 14, 2016 3:07 pm

number 8 ynwa » Thu Jan 14, 2016 12:25 pm wrote: I think Klopp sees enough with Migs in training to realise he is a good keeper.

I think Klopp is resigned to the fact that it will be neigh impossible to bring in a better keeper in the January window. Instead he's backing Mig in the press and with a new deal in the hope he improves enough to get into the top 4.

I'm sure we'll address this in the summer, but there's no way any team is going to sell us a top class keeper in January. Not for anything less than silly money. Hence Klopp is backing Mig. For now at least...
“You cannot transfer the heart and soul of Liverpool Football Club, although I am sure there are many clubs who would like to buy it.”
7_Kewell
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Thu Jan 14, 2016 3:27 pm

kazza » Thu Jan 14, 2016 1:53 pm wrote:I think we will never really progress with him as the starter and I have said that from day one, he has too many mistakes in him that cost us matches. After Arsenals second goal they suddenly improved in confidence when up until then they were being played of the park. Unfortunately his awful mistakes breaks our will and fills opposing teams with hope as they know he is a liability. It is frustrating to watch time and time again throughout a season. Frankly I don't get this "best shot stopper in the league" cr@p. There are easily five or six keepers much better than him at stopping shots, rarely does he make a game turning save. In fact you could probably count on one hand the world class saves he has made since joining. Their third goal last night was a good finish but the kind of ball that would have been saved by a truly great shot stopper.

Buy a world class keeper and use him as a deputy, that is as good as it would get for him unless he played for Sunderland again. I am not angry at him as he is trying, he is just not good enough. Like others I want Ward to play against Utd and I have never seen him or know anything about him, I just feel secure in the knowledge that he cannot be worse than Mignolet.

That's it in a nutshell mate, all the while he is in goal for us he gives the opposition hope that they can get back in a game, what's more they don't even have to do anything special, a run of the mill bog standard cross is all it takes to have us at panic stations at the back.
Normally teams try to avoid putting crosses in the vicinity of goalkeepers because they know anyone half competent will usually snaffle them up but with us it's the exact opposite, teams actively target our 6 yard box, they try to fire the ball right down our keepers throat knowing that he'll f**k up.

Coaches probably tell their players -

When crossing :

Every other team in the league = avoid the keeper
When playing against liverpool = aim for the keeper
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby Binomial » Thu Jan 14, 2016 6:10 pm

there's nothing to work on with him...same mistakes over and over and over and over again.

we've all had enough now, beyond a joke....just sign a replacement who knows not to f*ck up every other game
Binomial
LFC Basic Member

Postby damjan193 » Thu Jan 14, 2016 6:46 pm

Reg » Thu Jan 14, 2016 5:59 am wrote:You can't judge a keeper until you have a good back 4 in front of him. If he's constantly full of doubts and concerns knowing his back 4 are in chaos it affects his game. 80% of the confidence of a good keeper comes from having faith in the back four. You could of played an idiot in goal behind  Phil Neal, Alan Kennedy, Phil Thompson and Alan Hansen, we just happened to have Clem.... who had the confidence of a maestro because .......

I've seen this all too many times, in both the pro world and the amateur level. I can guarantee you, you put a solid defence in front of any half decent keeper and you'll never even notice that the goalie has flaws. Put a bad defence in front of a top goalie and he won't look any better than his teammates. But people always blame the keeper, it's just easier I guess.
damjan193
LFC Super Member

Postby red till i die!! » Fri Jan 15, 2016 12:20 am

He could have had a hatrick of fook ups last night only for sakho headed off the line. Using confidence as a defence for him is poor. He is in his 3rd season with us and hasn't stepped up to the plate and needs to be replaced as no 1.
red till i die!!
LFC Super Member

Postby red till i die!! » Fri Jan 15, 2016 12:23 am

:bump
New game of last man standing this week for anyone interested.
red till i die!!
LFC Super Member

Postby leeroy74 » Fri Jan 15, 2016 9:31 am

would it make sense to have a defender stood on the near post during corners? just saying.
leeroy74
LFC Super Member

Postby C-R » Fri Jan 15, 2016 9:38 am

leeroy74 » Fri Jan 15, 2016 9:31 am wrote:would it make sense to have a defender stood on the near post during corners? just saying.

(not defending Mingolet) but yes having someone on the post at corners would be a good idea, especially as we seem to be dealing with them so badly

on another note, i am aware our own corner taking has been discussed before, i wonder if our own poor corner taking (which is a BIG issue imo) is having an effect on our defensive corner practice in training ? just a thought
C-R
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 7_Kewell » Fri Jan 15, 2016 11:34 am

C-R » Fri Jan 15, 2016 8:38 am wrote:
leeroy74 » Fri Jan 15, 2016 9:31 am wrote:would it make sense to have a defender stood on the near post during corners? just saying.

(not defending Mingolet) but yes having someone on the post at corners would be a good idea, especially as we seem to be dealing with them so badly

on another note, i am aware our own corner taking has been discussed before, i wonder if our own poor corner taking (which is a BIG issue imo) is having an effect on our defensive corner practice in training ? just a thought

In training they probably think defending corners are a piece of pish after watching Moreno boot the ball into row z all day long.
“You cannot transfer the heart and soul of Liverpool Football Club, although I am sure there are many clubs who would like to buy it.”
7_Kewell
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby number 8 ynwa » Fri Jan 15, 2016 1:38 pm

. Instead he's backing Mig in the press and with a new deal in the hope he improves enough to get into the top 4.

I'm sure we'll address this in the summer, but there's no way any team is going to sell us a top class keeper in January. Not for anything less than silly money. Hence Klopp is backing Mig. For now at least...[/quote]

I don't think that makes any sense at all, we would not give him a new improved deal if we are planning to ship him out in the summer, unless he didn't have long on his contract maybe??
number 8 ynwa
LFC Basic Member

Postby 7_Kewell » Fri Jan 15, 2016 2:07 pm

Didn't he sign a 4 year deal he we joined? Klopp is a motivator and will do his best to give everyone the chance to shine. Mig isn't that bad but we could eaisly improve on him. Giving him a new deal might give him the confidence to help us into the top 4. We don't lose much by giving him a new contract and it'll ensure we get a decent fee for him should we sell.

Personally I think we'll bring in competent competition for Mig in the summer, which might lead him to leaving in Jan. Just my take on it. But I really don't get the histeria around our keeper....it's not like we can just go and buy a world class keeper, is it? We should have signed Cech when we had the chance.
7_Kewell
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Pig Catcher » Fri Jan 15, 2016 3:33 pm

I’m pretty sure that Klopp will be trying to bring in a new number 1 in the summer. Even in the summer window it’s difficult enough to find a good keeper so when the pool of available players in January is even smaller it’s virtually impossible.

Klopp has no choice but to publically back Mignolet. What else can he say? “Yeah Simon isn’t good enough to be our number 1 but I won’t be able to bring in anyone better until the summer”. Doesn’t work really. He’s being given a new contract to protect his value as this is his 3rd season at the club he probably will have 1 or 2 years left on his contract in the summer.

It’s quite clear that Klopp wants to carefully assess each player before bringing others in. My guess is that he’ll keep Mignolet here next season as a number 2 with Bogdan leaving and Ward going on loan. Fulton as third choice.
Pig Catcher
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion