SIMON MIGNOLET- Official thread

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby damjan193 » Fri Jan 15, 2016 4:08 pm

C-R » Fri Jan 15, 2016 10:38 am wrote:
leeroy74 » Fri Jan 15, 2016 9:31 am wrote:would it make sense to have a defender stood on the near post during corners? just saying.

(not defending Mingolet) but yes having someone on the post at corners would be a good idea, especially as we seem to be dealing with them so badly

It's a standard thing actually, as far as I know. It's like that to allow the keeper to be at the center of the goal where he's more useful instead of him defending the near post. I've absolutely no idea why we're not doing that, all teams do it.
damjan193
LFC Super Member

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Fri Jan 15, 2016 4:21 pm

Some teams don't like putting men on the post as they have a tendency to play everyone on side, personally though I think we should try it.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby Pig Catcher » Fri Jan 15, 2016 4:54 pm

Isn't it down to the keepers preference on whether we have men on the post? I would think that he would decide what he wants much like freekicks and the number of men in the wall. I remember someone asking Ranieri this very question and he said he goes with whatever his keeper prefers.

I haven't seen the goal again but at the time two things crossed my mind. Firstly, was there not a man standing somewhere between the post and the corner flag, "the first man"? Secondly, the ball didn't actually deviate much so surely its fair to expect the keeper to simply take the ball in the underarm position? He seemed to get his feet is a mess with his weight distributed to his hells and ended up getting nutmegged!
Pig Catcher
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Binomial » Fri Jan 15, 2016 5:58 pm

ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Fri Jan 15, 2016 3:21 pm wrote:Some teams don't like putting men on the post as they have a tendency to play everyone on side, personally though I think we should try it.

when you defend as badly from them as we do we may aswell try....we need both posts covered @ all times
Binomial
LFC Basic Member

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Fri Jan 15, 2016 8:27 pm

Binomial » Fri Jan 15, 2016 4:58 pm wrote:
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Fri Jan 15, 2016 3:21 pm wrote:Some teams don't like putting men on the post as they have a tendency to play everyone on side, personally though I think we should try it.

when you defend as badly from them as we do we may aswell try....we need both posts covered @ all times

Yep, it's not as if we have got much to lose
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby JC_81 » Sat Jan 16, 2016 11:16 am

I'd go with Mignolet v the Mancs, but agree with what others have said about throwing in Ward v Exeter and if he looks good maybe even give him a run. Klopp's clearly brought him back to have a proper look with a view to giving him chances.

The new contract for Mignolet concerns me. I'm hoping it's just to keep his market value up rather than klopp seeing him as a long term option.
JC_81
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Binomial » Sun Jan 17, 2016 8:27 pm

can't remember the last time he played well or did something well in a game.

he either ***** up or has nothing to do
Binomial
LFC Basic Member

Postby redshade » Sun Jan 17, 2016 8:38 pm

How would we want a keeper half the calibre of de gea. I hope he had left for Real last summer.
redshade
LFC Guru Member

Postby SkippyRed » Sun Jan 17, 2016 10:32 pm

You can see teams like their lips at set pieces. Absolutely no faith in our defence, and it starts with him.
SkippyRed
LFC Advanced Member

Postby maguskwt » Mon Jan 18, 2016 1:43 am

As much as I criticised him for the Arsenal performance, I dont think he did anything wrong against the mancs. 4 of our players focused on Fellaini and failed to mark England's no.1 striker... Like WTF!!
In that man u team, all they needed to mark was 3 players, Fellaini for his aerial threat, Rooney and Martial. That's it!
It shows that our defensive on the field organisation is lacking sorely since carragher retired.
maguskwt
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby C-R » Mon Jan 18, 2016 6:25 pm

http://www.liverpoolfc.com/news/first-t ... c-contract

Simon Mignolet has today signed a long term deal...

Liverpool goalkeeper Simon Mignolet has committed his long-term future to the club by signing a fresh contract extension at Melwood today.

The Belgium international joined the Reds in June 2013 and has made 122 appearances between the posts since his switch to Anfield from Sunderland.

Mignolet has missed just three Barclays Premier League matches during that period and recorded more clean sheets than any other ‘keeper in the division in 2015.

He has reached double figures for shut-outs in each of his two previous seasons with Liverpool and is on target to do so again for the current campaign.

The 27-year-old has also won 17 caps for his country and is on course to be part of the Belgium squad participating at Euro 2016 this summer.

“I’m very pleased that I can be at Anfield and a part of Liverpool for a long future. I’m happy to commit my future to LFC,” Mignolet told Liverpoolfc.com upon signing the contract.

“I know signing a new contract comes with new responsibility. I’m getting older as well and coming into the years where people would say those are the years a ‘keeper is at his best.

“I know with a long-term contract, you get more responsibility – and I want to take up that role because I’m the sort of character that wants to be a leader, wants to speak in the dressing room and wants to help the defence.

“I’ll try to work hard together with the goalkeeping coach and staff here, who are behind me and have given their confidence with a new contract.

“I would like to thank them for that – but you can’t really do that with words, you have to do that with performances on the pitch. And that’s what I’ll try to show.”

C-R
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JC_81 » Mon Jan 18, 2016 9:31 pm

Brilliant.
JC_81
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby redshade » Mon Jan 18, 2016 11:03 pm

Yep awesome news whooptidoo.
redshade
LFC Guru Member

Postby red till i die!! » Tue Jan 19, 2016 1:08 am

“I know signing a new contract comes with new responsibility. I’m getting older as well and coming into the years where people would say those are the years a ‘keeper is at his best.

“I know with a long-term contract, you get more responsibility – and I want to take up that role because I’m the sort of character that wants to be a leader, wants to speak in the dressing room and wants to help the defence.

“I’ll try to work hard together with the goalkeeping coach and staff here, who are behind me and have given their confidence with a new contract.

He wants to be a leader  :laugh:
These players will say anything  :nod
red till i die!!
LFC Super Member

Postby JC_81 » Tue Jan 19, 2016 7:13 am

F**k being a leader Simon, just catch the odd cross eh?
JC_81
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion