Mario Balotelli

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby maguskwt » Sat Feb 21, 2015 10:01 am

parchpea » Sat Feb 21, 2015 12:34 am wrote:Rodgers has torn into him publicly again with further criticism of his work rate.

Clear ploy to try and force him out in the summer.

It's an honest and open critique on one of your own players. Mourinho tored into Hazard in public far worse than this. But because it's Mourinho, he's right. But because it's BR, he is not treating his players properly...

Besides in the same interview, he also said it was the right decision Balotelli took the penalty and praised the player's penalty taking record.
maguskwt
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Sat Feb 21, 2015 12:37 pm

parchpea » Sat Feb 21, 2015 12:34 am wrote:Rodgers has torn into him publicly again with further criticism of his work rate.

I'm starting to come around to RTID's point of view that Rodgers talks absolute shyte.
Mario not only played well he grafted his @rse off too, at one point I saw him sprint 50 yards towards our goal to help out in defence and he made a vital block at the near post as well. I didn't see the likes of Sturridge doing that.
Rodgers seemed happy enough with Mario immediately after the game so why is he coming out with all this rubbish now?
Makes you wonder if one or two players who's noses got put out of joint over the penalty incident have been whinging to the boss.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby only me » Sat Feb 21, 2015 12:56 pm

ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Sat Feb 21, 2015 11:37 am wrote:

I'm starting to come around to RTID's point of view that Rodgers talks absolute shyte.
Mario not only played well he grafted his @rse off too, at one point I saw him sprint 50 yards towards our goal to help out in defence and he made a vital block at the near post as well. I didn't see the likes of Sturridge doing that.
Rodgers seemed happy enough with Mario immediately after the game so why is he coming out with all this rubbish now?
Makes you wonder if one or two players who's noses got put out of joint over the penalty incident have been whinging to the boss.

100% ! Gotta wonder if BR isn't playing politics again ,i couldn't find any wrong in what Mario did on the pitch and god knows i don't like the lad ,but this statement is outrageous and BR should be ashamed of himself.
only me
LFC Super Member

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Sat Feb 21, 2015 3:41 pm

only me » Sat Feb 21, 2015 11:56 am wrote:
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Sat Feb 21, 2015 11:37 am wrote:

100% ! Gotta wonder if BR isn't playing politics again ,i couldn't find any wrong in what Mario did on the pitch and god knows i don't like the lad ,but this statement is outrageous and BR should be ashamed of himself.

What makes me laugh is that there have been games where Gerrard hasn't done a tap (as opposed to Mario who actually put a shift in) and Rodgers praised him to the heavens! The double standards from Brendan over this issue are staggering.
As I said mate it wouldn't surprise me if a few players have been whinging to Rodgers and he has sided with them.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby red till i die!! » Sat Feb 21, 2015 3:46 pm

ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Sat Feb 21, 2015 12:37 pm wrote:

Thought he played his best game yet for us the other night yakka. Far removed from the player he was at city or any other club for that matter. His workrate was excellent along with his passing, link up play and as you said yourself he busted a nut helping out the other end. This is what the lad has been told is what is required of him to make the team so for rodgers to now drag him through the gutter again is baffling.

Sturridge wasn't happy and neither was gerrard, also henderson was made look a clown so i would imagine there was words after the game or at training the next day. If rodgers had of come out and read him the act over this then it would be justified.

Maybe he was unfortunate that every time mario got the ball he was writing in his notepad or checking his shoes because those comments make it look like he wasn't watching the same game as us.
red till i die!!
LFC Super Member

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Sat Feb 21, 2015 4:06 pm

red till i die!! » Sat Feb 21, 2015 2:46 pm wrote:
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Sat Feb 21, 2015 12:37 pm wrote:

Thought he played his best game yet for us the other night yakka. Far removed from the player he was at city or any other club for that matter. His workrate was excellent along with his passing, link up play and as you said yourself he busted a nut helping out the other end. This is what the lad has been told is what is required of him to make the team so for rodgers to now drag him through the gutter again is baffling.

Sturridge wasn't happy and neither was gerrard, also henderson was made look a clown so i would imagine there was words after the game or at training the next day. If rodgers had of come out and read him the act over this then it would be justified.

Maybe he was unfortunate that every time mario got the ball he was writing in his notepad or checking his shoes because those comments make it look like he wasn't watching the same game as us.

Mate this story is splashed all over the back of today's echo, the headlines are that big they can hardly fit any other writing on the page. The whole thing is f**king baffling.
Mario came off the bench to score a huge, huge winner against Spurs, comes off the bench again last weekend against Palace to set up the winner and then as you say puts in maybe his best performance in a red shirt to date on Thursday night and Rodgers decides to come out with this shyte?
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby RED BEERGOGGLES » Sat Feb 21, 2015 4:25 pm

After Rodgers once again audibly declaring the deficiencies in the lads overall application ,I can only assume he stands around smoking joints
whilst the other lads train.

RED BEERGOGGLES
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby damjan193 » Sat Feb 21, 2015 6:20 pm

Don't know what's Rodgers thinking with those comments really. Saying things like that in public is bad, the fact that they aren't even true is worse. I'm not Balo's biggest fan and I believe that he was rightfully benched during these last few months, but give the lad credit when it's due ffs. What is Rodgers looking to accomplish with publicly criticizing him anyway? Not just Balo but Henderson too. He'll lose the team if he keeps this up!
damjan193
LFC Super Member

Postby andy_g » Sat Feb 21, 2015 6:49 pm

if you read rodgers' actual comments its not actually so harsh. if you pay attention to the typical headline of 'Rodgers Blasts Balotelli' then it you can be forgiven for thinking that mario has been treated badly. the manager must know balotelli quite well by now, and his track record in man management is pretty decent. seems like there are too many who have decided that rodgers can do no right and are looking for all sorts of sticks to beat him with.

Get up! everybody's gonna move their feet
Get Down! everybody's gonna leave their seat
andy_g
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby andy_g » Sat Feb 21, 2015 6:51 pm

and another thing!!

as opposed to the received wisdom that rodgers is in love with and in thrall of gerrard, it should be noted that he actually contradicted his captain in defence of balotelli over the penalty 'incident'. if he was seriously trying to bad mouth the player into leaving the club he had a golden opportunity handed to him on a plate right there. why didn't he take it...?

andy_g
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby maguskwt » Sat Feb 21, 2015 6:59 pm

exactly... mountain out of a molehill... he actually came (indirectly) to the defense of Balotelli saying it was the right decision by Balotelli to take the penalty and that he had scored over 30 odd great penalties...
maguskwt
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Sat Feb 21, 2015 7:14 pm

maguskwt » Sat Feb 21, 2015 5:59 pm wrote:exactly... mountain out of a molehill... he actually came (indirectly) to the defense of Balotelli saying it was the right decision by Balotelli to take the penalty and that he had scored over 30 odd great penalties...

If anyone has been making a mountain out of a molehill it's the manager and Gerrard, they should know that the press look for any excuse to jump all over Balotelli and this week the pair of them have given the media all the ammo they need to put the boot into Mario.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby damjan193 » Sat Feb 21, 2015 7:19 pm

andy_g » Sat Feb 21, 2015 7:49 pm wrote:if you read rodgers' actual comments its not actually so harsh. if you pay attention to the typical headline of 'Rodgers Blasts Balotelli' then it you can be forgiven for thinking that mario has been treated badly. the manager must know balotelli quite well by now, and his track record in man management is pretty decent. seems like there are too many who have decided that rodgers can do no right and are looking for all sorts of sticks to beat him with.

I agree completely with the part I've highlighted but this time I believe people are right in their criticism. I haven't read the headlines, I only read Brendan's comments on a Facebook fanpage. Apparently he was asked if he was happy with Mario's performance and his answer was "No, not really, no". Then he says how Balo needs to work harder and that goals aren't everything that matter etc. Now, let's say that that's true (even though anyone who saw the game can tell you that it isn't), can you picture Rodgers saying the same thing for Stevie? Let's take the Leicester game, Stevie scored two goals right? But we also conceded 2 because of Gerrard's lack of DM abilities. What do you think Rodgers would have said had he been asked about the captain's performance? "Outstanding" would have been one of his words I'm sure about that.

Look mate, all things considered I'm on Rodgers' side, I support him and I believe he's the right manager for us. But f*cking hell he can really ***** me off sometimes with his handling in the media. Criticizing a player who has brought you the win 3 games in a row and has also worked hard for it is not the right way to go.
damjan193
LFC Super Member

Postby andy_g » Sat Feb 21, 2015 7:50 pm

did anyone see video of the comment? was it a 'no, not really' delivered with a stern scowl? or was it a 'no, not really' delivered with a cheeky twinkle? mere words on a page and journalistic agendas and hyperbole can lead to all sorts of misinterpretations.

andy_g
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby RED BEERGOGGLES » Sat Feb 21, 2015 8:41 pm

The full interview courtesy of the Echo.

The Reds boss says the £16million striker was right to insist on taking the late penalty which secured a narrow Europa League win over Besiktas on Thursday night.

But Rodgers wasn’t impressed by Balotelli’s effort and application after the goal and is demanding better ahead of Sunday’s crucial Premier League trip to Southampton.

The Italian has shown signs of transforming his Liverpool career recently with a trio of eye-catching cameos after coming off the bench. Late winners against Tottenham and Besiktas were sandwiched by an assist at Crystal Palace but it’s clear that he still faces a battle to establish himself at Anfield.

“Well, if he works harder than when he came on, he will do,” Rodgers said.

Asked if he was happy with Balotelli’s performance against Besiktas, he added: “No, not really, no.

“We need to ensure that whatever level of the game we are playing at we have everyone working as a team and once we get the penalty he stops working.

“He needs to improve on that facet of his game to play in his position, rather than standing on the side of the football field.

“He has contributed by scoring the goal but that is what he is paid to do. He needs to keep that efficiency in his game and show that he can affect the team whether he is asked to play from the bench or from the start.”

Rodgers insists he will always demand more than just goals from the former Manchester City frontman.

In a different country and a different style of football that would be all that matters but in this team here it is more than that,” he said.

The Northern Irishman did give the controversial striker his backing over the penalty furore after Balotelli insisted on taking the ball off stand-in skipper Jordan Henderson.

Injured captain Steven Gerrard had previously described Balotelli’s actions as “mischievous” and “disrespectful”.

“Steven and Mario are the top two penalty takers, but obviously neither of them were on the pitch at the start so you have to nominate someone,” he said.

“Jordan was nominated, but when we had a penalty Mario had come onto the field. So Jordan, being someone with responsibility and trust, gave the penalty to Mario so there was no issue.

“There was a little bit of a kerfuffle around it because he wanted to make sure Mario was happy to take it, but that was it really.

“If you are the vice-captain and the captain comes off the bench it’s the etiquette to go and give him the armband. For me it’s a similar thing with the penalty.

“If Steven is on the field there is no drama as he takes the penalty. He’s the first choice penalty taker.

Rodgers insisted he had no issues with Gerrard’s comments on TV and praised Henderson for how he dealt with the situation.

“Football is full of opinions and everyone has their right to their opinions. My job is to protect the team,” he said.

“Jordan showed what a team player he was. He respected Mario’s position that he’s an outstanding penalty taker. Young Jordan showed his maturity and Mario had the calmness and composure to score.

“I think people see Jordan as an automatic next captain but that’s not necessarily the case. He’s still a young player and we have to go steady with Jordan. Everyone is trying to catapult him into the next Steven Gerrard. He’s not that. I’ve said many times he’s not that type of player.”

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/brendan-rodgers-warns-mario-balotelli-8690117

I'm assuming his last statement pertaining to the protection he affords the team excludes Mario  ???
RED BEERGOGGLES
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion