Rumour of the day - For the miserable tw@ts amongst you

Liverpool Football Club - The Rumour Mill

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Tue Jun 04, 2019 1:09 pm

I hope the club doesn't rest on its laurels, building from a position of strength is what kept us at the top for years.
If Jurgen does have one fault it's maybe that he is too loyal to some of his players, Shankly was the same to be fair, Bill's loyalty to those players from his first great team is often cited as the reason why there was a 5/6 year gap between his 2 great sides.
Bob Paisley, for all his modesty and kind demeanour, was utterly ruthless, Bob pretty much had 9 years of unbroken success as manager and even when he left and handed over the reigns to Joe we reached the next 2 European Cup finals.
I'm not saying we need to start ripping the squad apart, I'm saying we should follow the blueprint of our glory days of bringing in 1 big player every year (that player should be good enough to improve not just the squad but the starting XI).
That way the team still improved but the core of the side was still in place so you got change and continuity all at the same time.
Something else I'd do as well is offer Milner a position as player/coach, at 33-34 his playing time at the very top level must be drawing to an end but he can still do a job for the team filling in here and there, with only 1 year left on his contract though it would be a shame to lose him especially as he seems to have a lot of influence within the dressing room.
He's been a model pro all his career and seems to have a good head on his shoulders, he's got a real no nonsense, bootroom air about him and he's a real throwback to the old days, I'd like to see Jurgen bring him on to his coaching team in an official capacity for next season. He can still register as a player.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby Reg » Tue Jun 04, 2019 2:58 pm

With receptions like this, which Dutch players would not want to play for LFC?

https://twitter.com/i/status/1135677985430880256
Reg
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby UvS xR4GEx » Tue Jun 04, 2019 8:48 pm

Alot of different sources saying Klopp wants to partner De Ligt with VVD. That defence would be the best in world football if we get the deal done.. Also it would infuriate Man Utd as they have him as their no1 target this summer.
UvS xR4GEx
LFC Guru Member

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Tue Jun 04, 2019 9:12 pm

UvS xR4GEx » Tue Jun 04, 2019 7:48 pm wrote:Alot of different sources saying Klopp wants to partner De Ligt with VVD. That defence would be the best in world football if we get the deal done.. Also it would infuriate Man Utd as they have him as their no1 target this summer.

It would certainly be a huge statement of intent if we landed someone like him, he's going to be the next Virgil.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby electrum » Tue Jun 04, 2019 9:13 pm

If De Ligt did come in I reckon that would be Adios for Lovren.

Imagine having Gomez and Matip as your second choice CB pairing- wow.
electrum
LFC Advanced Member

Postby fivecups » Tue Jun 04, 2019 10:11 pm

ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Tue Jun 04, 2019 12:09 pm wrote:I hope the club doesn't rest on its laurels, building from a position of strength is what kept us at the top for years.
If Jurgen does have one fault it's maybe that he is too loyal to some of his players, Shankly was the same to be fair, Bill's loyalty to those players from his first great team is often cited as the reason why there was a 5/6 year gap between his 2 great sides.
Bob Paisley, for all his modesty and kind demeanour, was utterly ruthless, Bob pretty much had 9 years of unbroken success as manager and even when he left and handed over the reigns to Joe we reached the next 2 European Cup finals.
I'm not saying we need to start ripping the squad apart, I'm saying we should follow the blueprint of our glory days of bringing in 1 big player every year (that player should be good enough to improve not just the squad but the starting XI).
That way the team still improved but the core of the side was still in place so you got change and continuity all at the same time.
Something else I'd do as well is offer Milner a position as player/coach, at 33-34 his playing time at the very top level must be drawing to an end but he can still do a job for the team filling in here and there, with only 1 year left on his contract though it would be a shame to lose him especially as he seems to have a lot of influence within the dressing room.
He's been a model pro all his career and seems to have a good head on his shoulders, he's got a real no nonsense, bootroom air about him and he's a real throwback to the old days, I'd like to see Jurgen bring him on to his coaching team in an official capacity for next season. He can still register as a player.

He did alright for a midfield plodder!  :p  :p

Ran further per 90 mins than any other player in the league
fivecups
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Tue Jun 04, 2019 10:26 pm

fivecups » Tue Jun 04, 2019 9:11 pm wrote:
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Tue Jun 04, 2019 12:09 pm wrote:I hope the club doesn't rest on its laurels, building from a position of strength is what kept us at the top for years.

He did alright for a midfield plodder!  :p  :p

Ran further per 90 mins than any other player in the league

I'm not disputing that he has got stamina, people in their 30's often do, marathon runners don't hit their peak until their mid 30's, Milner can run all day but he's only got one gear. As I said he can come on and do a job every now and again but at 33/34 we should be looking to phase him out. Wouldn't want to lose him though, as I said he seems to have what it takes to become a good coach.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Tue Jun 04, 2019 10:29 pm

electrum » Tue Jun 04, 2019 8:13 pm wrote:If De Ligt did come in I reckon that would be Adios for Lovren.

City had Stones on their bench during the run in and he cost £50m, unfortunately that's the type of depth you need to compete these days.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby bunglemark2 » Tue Jun 04, 2019 11:20 pm

ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Tue Jun 04, 2019 9:29 pm wrote:
electrum » Tue Jun 04, 2019 8:13 pm wrote:If De Ligt did come in I reckon that would be Adios for Lovren.

City had Stones on their bench during the run in and he cost £50m, unfortunately that's the type of depth you need to compete these days.

And Mahrez.
And Jesus.
And a few other £50M signings collectively getting piles from sitting on the bench.
If FFP had any teeth, they'd have been docked points long before now.
http://s2.tinypic.com/30ldif7_th.jpg
See yooo, Judas. Yoo're gettin' on mah titz !
bunglemark2

Postby redshade » Wed Jun 05, 2019 6:26 am

ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Tue Jun 04, 2019 1:09 pm wrote:I hope the club doesn't rest on its laurels, building from a position of strength is what kept us at the top for years.

Agreed.

We must keep on building and improving positions in the squad. Loke you said mate season by season by a marquee signing which will enable us to continue climbing the ladder.

Yup Milly has got great exp so i would obviously keep him part of the squad.

I know Ox will be ready to play that AT mid role however i feel we really need someone with more creatvity. That sort of player with a magical touch who can open door for the 3 uptop and crack in 10+ goals himself.
Someone in the mould of Coutinho would be amazing.
redshade
LFC Guru Member

Postby UvS xR4GEx » Sun Jun 09, 2019 9:17 am

I'm sick of getting linked with Coutinho to be honest. He forced his way out to make his "dream" move to barca!! We have spent the money wisely and while his careers gone backwards, ours as a club as gone massively forward.

This is a massive example of the grass is not always greener and a warning that if you leave for bigger things, you can't come back if it fails.

I'm liking the links to Pepe, Fernandes and De Ligt.. If we manage to get 2 of those I'd be happy with the business this summer.

De Ligt is wanting 230k a week though and our top earner is Mo on 200k a week. This kind of transfer can really mess up the wage structure as our other top players will want a rise to match the top earner. It's the same mess United are on having Sanchez on that ridiculous 450k a week contract.
UvS xR4GEx
LFC Guru Member

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Sun Jun 09, 2019 10:54 am

UvS xR4GEx » Sun Jun 09, 2019 8:17 am wrote:I'm sick of getting linked with Coutinho to be honest. He forced his way out to make his "dream" move to barca!! We have spent the money wisely and while his careers gone backwards, ours as a club as gone massively forward.

This is a massive example of the grass is not always greener and a warning that if you leave for bigger things, you can't come back if it fails.

I'm liking the links to Pepe, Fernandes and De Ligt.. If we manage to get 2 of those I'd be happy with the business this summer.

De Ligt is wanting 230k a week though and our top earner is Mo on 200k a week. This kind of transfer can really mess up the wage structure as our other top players will want a rise to match the top earner. It's the same mess United are on having Sanchez on that ridiculous 450k a week contract.

It wouldn't bother me if Coutinho came back, we are desperate for that type of player and unlike Fekir etc we've actually seen that Phil can do it in a red shirt, he's good mates with everyone in the dressing room particularly with the likes of Bobby, Alisson and Fab so he'd be good for morale too.
Jurgen re-signed players at Dortmund who left for big clubs like Sahin (who went to Real Madrid) and Kawaga (who went to United) so he's done it before.
As good as we were last year there were definitely times where we ran out of idea's, Everton and United away being perfect examples and even the final last weekend as well, if you watch the whole game again without the nervous tension it's surprising to see how many times we just aimlessly hoofed the ball upfield.
Yes Coutinho sh[it] on us but that's what players do these days to engineer moves, VVD is already a legend at this club but iirc he actually went on strike at Southampton to force his way out. Mane, Keita, Lovren etc all played hardball to get here too.
My only concern about re-signing Coutinho would be his age, he's 28 now and he would cost big money but tbf as David Silva shows in this era and Kenny Dalglish did back in the day players who's game is built around guile and not pace don't deteriorate as quickly. Don't forget Kenny didn't sign for us until he was 27, he was at Celtic a decade before he put on a red shirt, everything he achieved at this club including playing in 4 European Cup finals was achieved in his late 20's and 30's.

Re De Ligt, apparently PSG have offered him a fortune, United offered him huge wages (significantly more than us or Barca) so PSG then basically just rocked up and doubled their offer. I'll be surprised if he turns that type of money down. He would have been a fantastic signing but it's not as if there's a lot wrong with our defence, it was the best in the league.
Never seen that Pepe so I can't comment on him but saw that Fernandes playing for Portugal against Switzerland and he looked pretty average tbh but you can't really tell from one game and an international game at that.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby 7_Kewell » Sun Jun 09, 2019 11:00 am

Coutinho has become the very definition of a luxury player.

I'd take him on loan, but wouldn't spend big bucks bringing him back. I'm not even sure he would fit into our system these days. He use to track back less than Sturridge
“You cannot transfer the heart and soul of Liverpool Football Club, although I am sure there are many clubs who would like to buy it.”
7_Kewell
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Sun Jun 09, 2019 11:04 am

Just had a look at that Pepe on youtube and he looks really good, one slight concern I'd have is that the clips didn't really show him threading through balls through or anything like that but on the ball he looks fantastic.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Sun Jun 09, 2019 11:07 am

7_Kewell » Sun Jun 09, 2019 10:00 am wrote:Coutinho has become the very definition of a luxury player.

I'd take him on loan, but wouldn't spend big bucks bringing him back. I'm not even sure he would fit into our system these days. He use to track back less than Sturridge

If City can play with a front 3 and 2 AM's I'm sure we can shoehorn one AM into our side. A loan would be ideal, buy that Pepe and De Ligt and loan Phil - that would be a dream summer for me.
Heck, even if we just loan Phil and buy that Pepe I'd strongly fancy us for the league/CL next season, our defence doesn't really need strengthening.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

PreviousNext

Return to The Rumour Mill