Rumour of the day - For the miserable tw@ts amongst you

Liverpool Football Club - The Rumour Mill

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Wed Aug 30, 2017 11:13 am

Well that was quick, the London Evening Standard (apparently a reliable source when it comes to London clubs) are saying that we've had a £30m bid for Ox turned down by Arsenal. I suppose when you think about it there was no way he was going to turn down a move to Chelsea at the eleventh hour unless he was pretty sure that someone else would be coming in for him.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby aCe' » Wed Aug 30, 2017 11:32 am

ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Wed Aug 30, 2017 1:25 pm wrote:
aCe' » Wed Aug 30, 2017 8:18 am wrote:Where does Ox fit ? I know he wants to play as a CM but would he get in the side ahead of Wijnaldum or Lallana or Keita next season ? Not for me. He's another Milner in the squad and I can see us moving him around the pitch if we get him.

He would be good backup for Mane/Salah but someone like Lemar would walk into the starting 11 and then Salah and Ox would be 80mill on the bench waiting to come on when we have 2 or 3 other positions to address first.

Can't say I'm a huge fan of Oxlade-Chamberlain but to be fair we do need someone to share the workload with Mane and Salah. Given the intensity of our play there is no way those lads can play every game, they'd be burnt out by mid November.
Jurgen said himself the reason our defence looked better against Arsenal was because Sadio and Mo got back to help the fullbacks so it looks like our wide players are going to be tasked with getting through a Herculean amount of work this season.

Apart from fringe players like Origi, Kent and Ojo we don't really have anyone in the squad with the raw pace to play out wide, yes we have the likes of Lallana and Phil but it looks like Jurgen wants pace on both flanks now.
Obviously Lemar would be ideal but according to reports Monaco are looking for £100m+.
If Chamberlain is prepared to play as a wide player and be rotated then we could do worse than him. He is very, very quick, can go past a man and scores the odd goal as well. He knows the prem inside out too. I don't think he has quite fulfilled the early promise he showed at Southampton but he is still in his early 20's and who knows maybe under Jurgen he can kick on again. He wouldn't be as versatile as Lemar but if you want someone to just simply run in behind and stretch teams with pace you could probably do a lot worse than him. Keep him away from CM and I think he'd be a good back up to Sadio and Mo.
By all accounts he is a huge Liverpool fan (as is Walcott strangely enough) which always helps.
Yes we should always aim high so let's go for Lemar but with 48 hours to go in the window Chamberlain would be a decent fall back option.

Lemar was supposedly the project for the next 100mill+ player for us. Another Coutinho in the making. I don't see Chamberlain improving much past his current level. You're right in saying we need more options but if we're selling Coutinho and replacing him with Chamberlain it's a terrible trade in my books. It's too late in the window to go out and target more options but this isn't the sort of transfer that will bridge the gap between us and the sides competing for the league, Lemar could have been and a top GK, LB, DM, or ST would have as well.
aCe'
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Doeboy » Wed Aug 30, 2017 12:20 pm

Don't particularly rate Ox. Yeah can argue he would beef up the squad but his injury record isn't exactly inspiring. Just another over rated british player imo
Doeboy

Postby johnbarnes » Wed Aug 30, 2017 12:31 pm

Doeboy » Wed Aug 30, 2017 12:20 pm wrote:Don't particularly rate Ox. Yeah can argue he would beef up the squad but his injury record isn't exactly inspiring. Just another over rated british player imo

+1
Have him run his contract down, give him 15M signing on fee with a competitive wage. Anything more is just a waste of money IMO...
johnbarnes
LFC Super Member

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Wed Aug 30, 2017 12:46 pm

I don't think Phil is going Ace, even the Catalan papers are rowing back now, in fact the headline splashed across the front of Barca's mouthpiece paper today is 'PLAN B'.
I think if Chamberlain arrives he will be coming to share the workload with Mane and Salah and although I'm not his biggest fan to be fair to the lad that's one job I think he could do well, he is very quick and with a bit of coaching from Jurgen I could see him developing into a fine wide forward. At 23/24 his best years are still ahead of him too.
The fact that he can play in a number of positions will no doubt come in handy as well, we were top of the league last season until squad depth fvcked us so solid signings like AOC are in many ways just as important as the big name ones.
When Phil starts sliding those through balls through again there won't be many defenders in this league who are going to fancy a foot race with Chamberlain. I know any time he played against us my heart used to sink if I saw he had space to run into.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby Santa » Wed Aug 30, 2017 12:53 pm

Me think we will get Lamar but NOT VvD, which is a disappointment. Couldn't be bothered with Ox but in all honesty I don't think Wagner developed him much so with a bit of Klopp's magic magic who knows?
Never try to teach a pig to sing...

...it only waste your time, and annoys the pig
Santa
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Santa » Wed Aug 30, 2017 12:59 pm

PGS will be coming for Phil after the World Cup next summer...Neymar will make sure of it haha

Santa
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby eds » Wed Aug 30, 2017 1:11 pm

I'm sorry but if we replace Coutinho with Chamberlain we might all might as well shut up shop and give up. He is garbage and not what we need.
"LIVERPOOL: 6 European Cups, 19 Domestic Titles, 3 UEFA Cups, 8 FA Cups, 9 League Cups and 4 European Super Cups and 1 Club World Championship

All other English clubs pale into insignificance!"
eds

Postby Santa » Wed Aug 30, 2017 1:21 pm

ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Wed Aug 30, 2017 11:46 am wrote:I don't think Phil is going Ace, even the Catalan papers are rowing back now, in fact the headline splashed across the front of Barca's mouthpiece paper today is 'PLAN B'.
I think if Chamberlain arrives he will be coming to share the workload with Mane and Salah and although I'm not his biggest fan to be fair to the lad that's one job I think he could do well, he is very quick and with a bit of coaching from Jurgen I could see him developing into a fine wide forward. At 23/24 his best years are still ahead of him too.
The fact that he can play in a number of positions will no doubt come in handy as well, we were top of the league last season until squad depth fvcked us so solid signings like AOC are in many ways just as important as the big name ones.
When Phil starts sliding those through balls through again there won't be many defenders in this league who are going to fancy a foot race with Chamberlain. I know any time he played against us my heart used to sink if I saw he had space to run into.

It has been reported that Farca is trying to hijack our Lemar deal...bitter to the end.

Come to think of it, at today's going rate £35M for Ox is not too bad tbh...but will Arsene wanna deal with us?

Santa
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Wed Aug 30, 2017 1:27 pm

eds » Wed Aug 30, 2017 12:11 pm wrote:I'm sorry but if we replace Coutinho with Chamberlain we might all might as well shut up shop and give up. He is garbage and not what we need.

Not even this club is stupid enough to do that mate. Chamberlain would be coming in to share the workload with Salah and Mane.
Look at how much running our wide players (in fact our whole team) did last Sunday, do you think Sadio and Mo can do that week in week out for 9 months solid?
We started last season on fire and full of energy too but crawled over the line in May and that was without CL football as well, we need depth to our squad and we only have 48 hours to do it. Given the circumstances I think AOC would be a solid signing. I actually think he could play that wide forward role quite well.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby aCe' » Wed Aug 30, 2017 1:32 pm

ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Wed Aug 30, 2017 3:46 pm wrote:I don't think Phil is going Ace, even the Catalan papers are rowing back now, in fact the headline splashed across the front of Barca's mouthpiece paper today is 'PLAN B'.

If Coutinho stays then the Ox deal makes a bit more sense. All our efforts should be going towards VVD but I agree that Ox isn't as bad as people make him out to be. Not a CM in a million years (we already have a good pretend CM in Milner) but he'd be good cover for Mane and could potentially overtake Salah.
aCe'
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Klopptomaniac » Wed Aug 30, 2017 1:36 pm

Dream scenario is Ox isn't instead of Lemar and we get both plus VVD. He'd offer depth which we're 100% going to need. Chamberlain will come in as a midfielder but will fill in on the wings as and when required.

He's probably looked at our set up and midfield as well and fancies his chances more at getting into our first team. I don't see where he has this idea that he is worthy of a starting place at a top club. He hasn't done enough at Arsenal.

I take it AOC is our business of the day and we won't hear anything about VVD and Lemar...
Last edited by Klopptomaniac on Wed Aug 30, 2017 1:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Klopptomaniac
LFC Advanced Member

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Wed Aug 30, 2017 1:40 pm

Santa » Wed Aug 30, 2017 12:21 pm wrote:
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Wed Aug 30, 2017 11:46 am wrote:I don't think Phil is going Ace, even the Catalan papers are rowing back now, in fact the headline splashed across the front of Barca's mouthpiece paper today is 'PLAN B'.

It has been reported that Farca is trying to hijack our Lemar deal...bitter to the end.

Come to think of it, at today's going rate £35M for Ox is not too bad tbh...but will Arsene wanna deal with us?

That is the $66,000 dollar question mate, apparently Wenger would rather sell him to Chelsea because Arsenal have already 'factored in' that Chelsea are going to finish above them. They see us as a direct rival for 3rd or 4th place and are extremely reticent to strengthen a club they see as a direct rival. On the other hand AOC can walk away for nothing in 12 months so it's a tough decision Arsenal have got.
We need to learn a lesson from this ourselves, we can't let any of our regular starters get into a position where there is only 12 months left on their contracts, once it runs down to 18 months they either sign an extension or we sell them. The only reason we have been in such a strong position re Coutinho is the length of his contract, it's an important part of the business these days especially when transfer fee's have gone crazy.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby crazyhorse » Wed Aug 30, 2017 3:04 pm

With out high speed pressing style the Ox would be a good fit.

I just have a feeling that he would be an absolute beast under Klopp.

He also fits the profile of young British talent being brought in. And he supports Liverpool.

Could be the signing of the summer.
THIS IS ANFIELD
crazyhorse
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby only me » Wed Aug 30, 2017 3:13 pm

Seems Ox will be the final piece of Biz in this transfer window...With Coutinho staying..VVD and Lemar will probably be left for another day...Hope we survive this year without addressing our key weaknesses (CB+Defensive MF)..
Hope no one gets injured and that Couts behaves...
only me
LFC Super Member

PreviousNext

Return to The Rumour Mill