Rumour of the day - For the miserable tw@ts amongst you

Liverpool Football Club - The Rumour Mill

Postby redshade » Sun Jul 16, 2017 11:26 pm

To have a successful team you build from the back. It is something City and Chelsea are good at, even Mannure do the same. We really need to sort our defensive frailties if we want to push on.
I just hope Van Dijk transfer gets sorted if not then i wonder what other alternatives we have lined up...
redshade
LFC Guru Member

Postby eds » Sun Jul 16, 2017 11:27 pm

The interwebs going nuts on this whole Keita deal. Apparently we are going to up our bid to 70m!!!! That's insane but very happy that if we sign him for that we send a warning shot to the rest of the league.
"LIVERPOOL: 6 European Cups, 19 Domestic Titles, 3 UEFA Cups, 8 FA Cups, 9 League Cups and 4 European Super Cups and 1 Club World Championship

All other English clubs pale into insignificance!"
eds

Postby maguskwt » Mon Jul 17, 2017 1:39 am

Keita for 70 million pounds is crazy. In the past, I have criticized FSG for not showing ambition. But at the same time, I don't really like us spending that kind of money on Keita, who is not really pursued by other clubs anyway. I'm sure there are other smarter buys  out there. It just goes to show that our scouting department is really lacking...
maguskwt
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby aCe' » Mon Jul 17, 2017 6:31 am

It doesnt matter how much we end up paying if he is worth it. There are alternatives out there who could come in and improve us in the same position but if Keita is the player he is made out to be then I'd be all for spending whatever it takes to bring him in. All of Renato Sanchez, Marchisio, Fabinho, etc. would be improvements on what we currently have (Can, Henderson) but it would be interesting to see if Klopp is thinking about partnering Keita with a Can/Henderson or with Wijnaldum.

I am actually more interested in the Van Dijk rumors. When I did the analysis of where we dropped points last season and the reasons we did, 2 big things stood out:

1) Our defending of set pieces : Dealing with crosses tops our reasons for conceding by quite a bit and the fact our GKs arent dominant enough remains a worry
2) Our taking of chances against smaller sides where we have 70%+ possession and a big number of wasted chances.

Van Dijk would have more of an impact on the side than any other player we could possibly sign would imo.

On a different note, I see Aubameyang is being offered around for ~70mill. He would also be more of a game changer for us than Keita imo but at his age I highly doubt the board would be willing to pay that kind of money.
aCe'
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby UvS xR4GEx » Mon Jul 17, 2017 10:17 am

I think Keita is the whole package in terms of a modern day box to box midfielder and he's perfect for the Klopp pressing game. He gets up and down the field, has great energy and is also brilliant at dribbling and his final ball is brilliant too. I think Klopp spotted how effective Kante has been the last two seasons and has basically gone for the next best thing. I think we need VVD or if not a good CB before next year because Matip, Lovren, Klavan and Gomez are not gonna be strong enough for a league push plus champions league.
UvS xR4GEx
LFC Guru Member

Postby Klopptomaniac » Mon Jul 17, 2017 12:19 pm

This is starting to drag on a bit. The same 2 names, different day
Klopptomaniac
LFC Advanced Member

Postby only me » Mon Jul 17, 2017 12:24 pm

I wouldn't go crazy for VVD for the simple reason that he has yet to play any kind of footy since his injury...Need to look elsewhere.
only me
LFC Super Member

Postby maguskwt » Mon Jul 17, 2017 1:47 pm

http://www.espnfcasia.com/story/3159152 ... ice-source

RB Leipzig has refused to sell again... well, not sure if it is "again" or it's a re-hash of previous refusal...
maguskwt
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Mon Jul 17, 2017 3:06 pm

maguskwt » Mon Jul 17, 2017 12:47 pm wrote:http://www.espnfcasia.com/story/3159152/rb-leipzig-warn-liverpool-that-naby-keita-is-not-for-sale-at-any-price-source

RB Leipzig has refused to sell again... well, not sure if it is "again" or it's a re-hash of previous refusal...

If they knock back our second offer I'd forget about Keita and sign Mahrez. Okay Mahrez is not a CM but he would definitely  improve us.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby johnbarnes » Mon Jul 17, 2017 5:04 pm

ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Mon Jul 17, 2017 3:06 pm wrote:
maguskwt » Mon Jul 17, 2017 12:47 pm wrote:http://www.espnfcasia.com/story/3159152/rb-leipzig-warn-liverpool-that-naby-keita-is-not-for-sale-at-any-price-source

If they knock back our second offer I'd forget about Keita and sign Mahrez. Okay Mahrez is not a CM but he would definitely  improve us.

Don't think Klopp sees Mahrez as a part to his jigsaw puzzle.
I'd rather see Keita put in a transfer request, not turn up for training and act like a complete dick to force the move through.
After all, he is a professional footballer so acting like a dick will come natural to him!
  :D
johnbarnes
LFC Super Member

Postby Doeboy » Mon Jul 17, 2017 5:23 pm

johnbarnes » Mon Jul 17, 2017 4:04 pm wrote:
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Mon Jul 17, 2017 3:06 pm wrote:

I'd rather see Keita put in a transfer request, not turn up for training and act like a complete dick to force the move through.
After all, he is a professional footballer so acting like a dick will come natural to him!

Never a fan of players striking to force a their clubs hand. Hand in a transfer request and if its turned down, just get your head down with it if your club doesnt want to let you go.

If the boot was on the other foot and we had one of our players refusing to train etc, I would be livid.

If Leipzig dont want to sell and there is no price that we are prepared to pay that will change their minds, then we need to move on. I think we are looking for Keita to kick up a stink but then we can't really complain if it happens to us in the future. Maybe that is just the way modern football is now
Doeboy

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Mon Jul 17, 2017 6:10 pm

Good post mate ^^
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby johnbarnes » Mon Jul 17, 2017 6:23 pm

:D[/quote]

Never a fan of players striking to force a their clubs hand. Hand in a transfer request and if its turned down, just get your head down with it if your club doesnt want to let you go.

If the boot was on the other foot and we had one of our players refusing to train etc, I would be livid.

If Leipzig dont want to sell and there is no price that we are prepared to pay that will change their minds, then we need to move on. I think we are looking for Keita to kick up a stink but then we can't really complain if it happens to us in the future. Maybe that is just the way modern football is now[/quote]

One of LFC's most gifted players of all time took a crash course in cannibalism to force the clubs hand in the transfer market.
---
The last thing any of us want to see is Klopp start the new season (with the world watching) knowing we could not bring in the players HE wanted.
Not only would we be the laughing stock of the PL, but it would also create the kind of sh!t storm that would probably cost us a top 4 place without even kicking a ball in anger...
Right about now (and after waiting 1/4 of a century) I'm happy to dance with Lucifer himself in order to bring home the title.
---
So a player acting up and playing silly beggars (which many of them do in todays game) should be the least of any of our concerns...
At least for now.
johnbarnes
LFC Super Member

Postby Klopptomaniac » Mon Jul 17, 2017 6:54 pm

Lot of mixed noises about this. Seems to change everyday

I'm now doubting it'll happen. I think the player wants it but won't kick up a stink to force it, which is fair enough
Klopptomaniac
LFC Advanced Member

Postby Doeboy » Mon Jul 17, 2017 6:58 pm

johnbarnes » Mon Jul 17, 2017 5:23 pm wrote:Don't think Klopp sees Mahrez as a part to his jigsaw puzzle.

If Leipzig dont want to sell and there is no price that we are prepared to pay that will change their minds, then we need to move on. I think we are looking for Keita to kick up a stink but then we can't really complain if it happens to us in the future. Maybe that is just the way modern football is now[/quote]

One of LFC's most gifted players of all time took a crash course in cannibalism to force the clubs hand in the transfer market.
---
The last thing any of us want to see is Klopp start the new season (with the world watching) knowing we could not bring in the players HE wanted.
Not only would we be the laughing stock of the PL, but it would also create the kind of sh!t storm that would probably cost us a top 4 place without even kicking a ball in anger...
Right about now (and after waiting 1/4 of a century) I'm happy to dance with Lucifer himself in order to bring home the title.
---
So a player acting up and playing silly beggars (which many of them do in todays game) should be the least of any of our concerns...
At least for now.
[/quote]

Each to their own in the end but personally think it's really poor form to strike/refuse to play/train when a club is paying your wages and really can't stand those kind of players. Dis-respectable to a club and the fans.

To be fair, Suarez never striked or refused to train etc. Yes, quite clear he wanted to move to Barca but there's a big difference between telling your club you'd rather no longer want to play for them/push for a move and actually going on strike and refusing to play/train. 

If a player does that to get a move to us, then we shouldn't be surprised or complain if the likes of Barca/Real or moneybags clubs like PSG/City come calling for him one day and he decides he doesn't want to play for us anymore and does the same thing to us.

If some fans can reconcile and live with that, then fair play. But in that situation you we would see fair few not having an issue with the player striking to get a move to us but if he ever did it at us, he would be vilified so it becomes a case of double standards. How would we feel if Coutinho refused to play/train because he wanted to move to Barca? Would be totally disrespecting the club and the fans

I totally understand backing Klopp in terms of the players he wants and giving ourselves the most time to get them in but at the same time we should have a couple of alternatives if we can't get those players for whatever reason. The whole looking for a player to strike and cause issues is bad form and as club I'd rather we didn't go down that road.

As a club, we've been held in high regard with the way we do things in the past but last few years with the whole youth ban and this Southampton fiasco, I rather we didn't get drawn into anymore negativity.
Doeboy

PreviousNext

Return to The Rumour Mill