Rumour of the day - For the miserable tw@ts amongst you

Liverpool Football Club - The Rumour Mill

Postby woof woof ! » Thu Jun 01, 2017 10:49 am

Mikz » Thu Jun 01, 2017 8:08 am wrote:And Luke shaw , wanyama schneiderland ....makes me wonder if they kept them , would they have done a leicester ?

Do they want success or money?

Sign the scouts!! For the future of LFC  :buttrock

:D , Looks like they've gone for the money, having said that it's virtually impossible to hang onto a player if he's adamant he wants to go.

But your right Mikz if only they'd been able to keep their better players, add Lallana and Clyne to those we've already mentioned, what a side they could have had !

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby Fowler_E7 » Thu Jun 01, 2017 11:03 am

ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Wed May 31, 2017 11:08 pm wrote:£43m for Salah? As Mark says he was shyte when he was at Chelsea. Yes he's got decent numbers in Italy but Serie A isn't the Serie A of the 80's, even Borini looked like a competent wide forward over there.
I remember watching Salah playing for Chelsea in a European game and thinking to myself "good job we didn't waste £11m on this fella, we've deffo dodged a bullet here, glad the deal fell through etc etc"
Now we are spending 4 X the amount on him  :(

He barely got on the pitch at Chelsea so i think its very harsh to label him Shyte, Chelsea did the same with De Bruyne and Juan Cuadrado who left and gone on to become huge stars just like Salah has.
Fowler_E7
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Thu Jun 01, 2017 11:50 am

Fowler_E7 » Thu Jun 01, 2017 10:03 am wrote:
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Wed May 31, 2017 11:08 pm wrote:£43m for Salah? As Mark says he was shyte when he was at Chelsea. Yes he's got decent numbers in Italy but Serie A isn't the Serie A of the 80's, even Borini looked like a competent wide forward over there.
I remember watching Salah playing for Chelsea in a European game and thinking to myself "good job we didn't waste £11m on this fella, we've deffo dodged a bullet here, glad the deal fell through etc etc"

He barely got on the pitch at Chelsea so i think its very harsh to label him Shyte, Chelsea did the same with De Bruyne and Juan Cuadrado who left and gone on to become huge stars just like Salah has.

He'd be a decent addition to the squad but if everyone was fit I honestly think he'd struggle to get into the side. If we are going to spend £43m on a player I'd rather we spent it on someone clearly good enough to walk into the starting XI.
I am not against us spending big money on players, in fact I want us to spend big money on players but I don't want to see us get ripped off. I am against us signing Van Dijk for exactly the same reason, he's a decent defender but £50m? Come on, that's ridiculous.
Put it this way if we don't stump up the £43m for Salah can you see another club swooping for him at that price? At least everyone can see why Van Dijks price has gone through the roof, he has 4 or 5 wealthy clubs after him, but who is going to spend nearly £50m on Salah?
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby Klopptomaniac » Thu Jun 01, 2017 12:09 pm

Fowler_E7 » Thu Jun 01, 2017 10:03 am wrote:

That's an insane amount of money for someone who isn't an obvious upgrade on what we have.

A reliable source reckons we're getting Keita, the Ox and VVD. We'd still be a striker and left back short for me
Klopptomaniac
LFC Advanced Member

Postby red till i die!! » Thu Jun 01, 2017 2:06 pm

That fee for Virgil is ridiculous but he is a player we need so he will be worth it. Salah though  :wwww Totally stupid money  :nod  This is typical for us though in that we seem to let some deals fall through over a few mil and then go out and spend totally inflated prices on players no one is looking for. Both of these players we could have signed 2/3 years ago for about 12 mil each.
Still we need to sign players and if Klopp feels that these are worth the money and will improve the team then he needs to be let do it regardless of the price.
red till i die!!
LFC Super Member

Postby Pig Catcher » Thu Jun 01, 2017 2:48 pm

What exactly are people basing their comments on when they say van Dijk and Salah are overpriced at the speculated prices? In the case of Salah, have people been watching his performances for Roma over the past 2 season? I’m guessing not. He’s one of the best players in the league.

If you want the top performers from a decent league you will often end up paying these sorts of sums. English clubs tend to pay a premium because of our vast wealth, which has just further increased due to the TV deal which kicks in from the 17-18 season.

Even before this kicked in we lived in a world where PL clubs bought Pogba for £89m, De Bruyne (Chelsea flop like Salah) for £55m, Sterling for £49m, John Stones for £50m, Martial for £40 odd mil, Mane for £34mil, Mustafi for £35mil, etc. We bought Benteke for £32.5 and sold him back to Palace for around the same sum. Spurs paid £30mil for Sissoko FFS!

It’s always nice to pick up a bargain but the truth is £40mil is the new £20mil. Increased revenues, competition from China, and petrodollar clubs are all market forces pushing up prices and it will keep going.

I don’t know if either van Dijk and Salah will be a success if we bring them in but I’m certainly not going to beat the club up for paying large sums of money for them. Both are top performers in their leagues and could reasonably end up at other large clubs.

The club seem to take pasting from the fans whether they’re skimping or spunking cash!
Pig Catcher
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Mikz » Thu Jun 01, 2017 3:15 pm

The fact he has done well with roma means nothing to me. Aspas outscored griezman in la liga and we all know how good he was  :no

He had the chance to play for us before, but chose chelsea ..for whatever reason the decision was his. He knew he would get more playing time too and still didnt come.

I agree hes a good player but as someone said earlier, hes not much of an upgrade , if at all
'' Gary lineker may well have scored 5 goals in 5 minutes , but i think you have to say, what else did he do '' ...Jimmy Hill
Mikz
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Pig Catcher » Thu Jun 01, 2017 3:37 pm

Mikz » Thu Jun 01, 2017 2:15 pm wrote:The fact he has done well with roma means nothing to me. Aspas outscored griezman in la liga and we all know how good he was  :no

He had the chance to play for us before, but chose chelsea ..for whatever reason the decision was his. He knew he would get more playing time too and still didnt come.

I agree hes a good player but as someone said earlier, hes not much of an upgrade , if at all

So if doing well in the forth best league and the Champions league over the least 2 season means nothing what do we judge players on? Mikz, how often have you watched him player over the past 2 and half seasons since he has been in Seria A? And the Griezmann/Aspas comparison is just silly as the former was playing in midfield while Aspas was Celta's key man.

And No. We tried to low ball his club and couldn't agree a fee despite beginning negotiating in Decembers and him wanting to come. Chelsea came along later in the window and secured a deal in days.

So he's not much of an upgrade on the likes of Origi and Woodburn, or the injury prone Ings and Studge, who were playing in our front 3 last season with the exception of Ings? What are you basing this on? The fact he couldn't get into Chelsea's title winning starting 11 in the 12 months he spent with them as a 21 year old? Or have you been watching him closely in Seria A over the past 2 and half years? Or are you not impressed by the YouTube videos you've watched since we've been linked. Give us some context fella!
Pig Catcher
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby only me » Thu Jun 01, 2017 4:05 pm

Mikz » Thu Jun 01, 2017 2:15 pm wrote:The fact he has done well with roma means nothing to me. Aspas outscored griezman in la liga and we all know how good he was  :no

he would be an upgrade to Origi and Ings...worth signning
only me
LFC Super Member

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Thu Jun 01, 2017 4:06 pm

Pig Catcher » Thu Jun 01, 2017 2:37 pm wrote:

So if doing well in the forth best league and the Champions league over the least 2 season means nothing what do we judge players on? Mikz, how often have you watched him player over the past 2 and half seasons since he has been in Seria A? And the Griezmann/Aspas comparison is just silly as the former was playing in midfield while Aspas was Celta's key man.

And No. We tried to low ball his club and couldn't agree a fee despite beginning negotiating in Decembers and him wanting to come. Chelsea came along later in the window and secured a deal in days.

So he's not much of an upgrade on the likes of Origi and Woodburn, or the injury prone Ings and Studge, who were playing in our front 3 last season with the exception of Ings? What are you basing this on? The fact he couldn't get into Chelsea's title winning starting 11 in the 12 months he spent with them? Or have you been watching him closely in Seria A over the past 2 and half years? Or are you not impressed by the YouTube videos you've watched since we've been linked. Give us some context fella!

Why are you mentioning the players who sit on our bench? Is Salah coming here to replace them? If so don't you think £43m is a bit extravagant for a bench warmer? Why have £43m sitting on the sidelines when our starting XI clearly needs strengthening?
With all due respect PG the reason you mentioned the likes of Origi and Woodburn and not Coutinho, Mane, Firmino or Lallana is because you know yourself it's doubtful he is an upgrade on what we already have.
Salah would be a decent signing for about £20m, he'd pad out the squad, but for £43m I'm expecting someone who will walk into the team and make that shirt his own. I'm not sure Salah is capable of doing that.
The prem is a lot tougher to play in than Serie A, Pogba looked like a footballing God over there but he's just another good central midfielder here.
I'd much rather we went for Mahrez who has proven he can do it in this league, Leicester want £40m-£50m for him as well which is what we are reportedly paying for Salah. Coutinho and Mahrez playing in the same team would really give teams problems.
The only logic I can see in buying Salah is that apparently he grafts his @rse off up front, maybe he is a good fit for Jurgen's system but even if he is why overpay by so much? It's not as if half the teams in Europe are banging on Roma's door wanting to sign him.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby Doeboy » Thu Jun 01, 2017 4:20 pm

Pig Catcher » Thu Jun 01, 2017 1:48 pm wrote:What exactly are people basing their comments on when they say van Dijk and Salah are overpriced at the speculated prices? In the case of Salah, have people been watching his performances for Roma over the past 2 season? I’m guessing not. He’s one of the best players in the league.

If you want the top performers from a decent league you will often end up paying these sorts of sums. English clubs tend to pay a premium because of our vast wealth, which has just further increased due to the TV deal which kicks in from the 17-18 season.

Even before this kicked in we lived in a world where PL clubs bought Pogba for £89m, De Bruyne (Chelsea flop like Salah) for £55m, Sterling for £49m, John Stones for £50m, Martial for £40 odd mil, Mane for £34mil, Mustafi for £35mil, etc. We bought Benteke for £32.5 and sold him back to Palace for around the same sum. Spurs paid £30mil for Sissoko FFS!

It’s always nice to pick up a bargain but the truth is £40mil is the new £20mil. Increased revenues, competition from China, and petrodollar clubs are all market forces pushing up prices and it will keep going.

I don’t know if either van Dijk and Salah will be a success if we bring them in but I’m certainly not going to beat the club up for paying large sums of money for them. Both are top performers in their leagues and could reasonably end up at other large clubs.

The club seem to take pasting from the fans whether they’re skimping or spunking cash!

Salah is a good player. His stats in terms of goals and assists last season are extremely impressive, albeit in a league which isn't as good as it once was. He is quick and with that works hard, presses, tracks back and so quite clear to see he will fit into Klopp's play. It really is a no brainer and you are right about the fee. Today, £40m is about equivalent to £20m from yesteryear. For me, he is someone who can share the extra workload we will have next season in the CL with Mane so it really makes perfect sense.

However saying that, I think part of posters frustration is maybe down to people having trouble accepting we don't dine at the top table and the calibre of players we bring are not tier 1 (or even 2 in some cases) level.

Not sure if you are from a generation which was lucky enough to see us dominate everything in the 70s/80s Pig Catcher but you must understand there are posters here who have seen those amazing times and it's a big come down when you see where we are today. Of course, we can only deal with the situation we have in front of us today, no matter how good those days were and yes the game has dramatically changed from our heyday but if you are too young to remember those days, it maybe a little difficult to appreciate where we are now compared to where we once were and the frustrations of posters who have lived through our pomp.

I also feel the way the media links us to some pretty unrealistic targets i.e Aubamayang, Mbappe, helps gets peoples hopes up but we have to be realists. Those stories are utter garbage but I do believe we have a section of our fanbase who go into overdrive when those kind of stories come out which ultimately will lead to disappointment.
Doeboy

Postby Doeboy » Thu Jun 01, 2017 4:31 pm

ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Thu Jun 01, 2017 3:06 pm wrote:
Pig Catcher » Thu Jun 01, 2017 2:37 pm wrote:

So he's not much of an upgrade on the likes of Origi and Woodburn, or the injury prone Ings and Studge, who were playing in our front 3 last season with the exception of Ings? What are you basing this on? The fact he couldn't get into Chelsea's title winning starting 11 in the 12 months he spent with them? Or have you been watching him closely in Seria A over the past 2 and half years? Or are you not impressed by the YouTube videos you've watched since we've been linked. Give us some context fella!

Why are you mentioning the players who sit on our bench? Is Salah coming here to replace them? If so don't you think £43m is a bit extravagant for a bench warmer? Why have £43m sitting on the sidelines when our starting XI clearly needs strengthening?
With all due respect PG the reason you mentioned the likes of Origi and Woodburn and not Coutinho, Mane, Firmino or Lallana is because you know yourself it's doubtful he is an upgrade on what we already have.
Salah would be a decent signing for about £20m, he'd pad out the squad, but for £43m I'm expecting someone who will walk into the team and make that shirt his own. I'm not sure Salah is capable of doing that.
The prem is a lot tougher to play in than Serie A, Pogba looked like a footballing God over there but he's just another good central midfielder here.
I'd much rather we went for Mahrez who has proven he can do it in this league, Leicester want £40m-£50m for him as well which is what we are reportedly paying for Salah. Coutinho and Mahrez playing in the same team would really give teams problems.
The only logic I can see in buying Salah is that apparently he grafts his @rse off up front, maybe he is a good fit for Jurgen's system but even if he is why overpay by so much? It's not as if half the teams in Europe are banging on Roma's door wanting to sign him.

I agree. I like the Salah signing however you are right, for £43m he has to be someone who comes into the team for one of our existing forward players as and when needed, without much (if any at all) drop in quality/output. In terms of the Mahrez comparison, I feel Mahrez is the more technically gifted player however Salah edges him in terms of pace/workrate and being able to deal with Klopp's demands

ps I think Pig Catcher is Michael Edwards
Doeboy

Postby redshade » Thu Jun 01, 2017 7:50 pm

If Van Dijk asking price is 60+ mill I'd rather we look elsewhere. Im sure Van Dijk is not the only CB left in the world who is capable to doing a job.
redshade
LFC Guru Member

Postby Doeboy » Thu Jun 01, 2017 8:12 pm

redshade » Thu Jun 01, 2017 6:50 pm wrote:If Van Dijk asking price is 60+ mill I'd rather we look elsewhere. Im sure Van Dijk is not the only CB left in the world who is capable to doing a job.

Agreed. It sounds as though City and Chelsea are reluctant to go too much over £50m themselves so could come to wages. I'm never been convinced he is as good as he is made out to be however if Klopp want's him, then that's fine by me. However, got to be honest, if we miss out on him to either City or Chelsea, don't think I will be that bothered as like you say, I think there are defenders out there who are good as him for much less.
Doeboy

Postby bunglemark2 » Thu Jun 01, 2017 10:49 pm

There's got to be another Hyypia out there. Someone who is as classy and composed as he was. Someone like  when Klopp found Lewandowski and turned him into a machine.
Paying waaaaaay over the odds for VVD who is conveniently on your doorstep from the only club we have a loyalty club card with in the premiership is a cop out. Wasting money just because it's there.
Nah, have to do better...
http://s2.tinypic.com/30ldif7_th.jpg
See yooo, Judas. Yoo're gettin' on mah titz !
bunglemark2

PreviousNext

Return to The Rumour Mill