Rumour of the day - For the miserable tw@ts amongst you

Liverpool Football Club - The Rumour Mill

Postby aCe' » Tue Jan 24, 2017 11:11 pm

Doeboy » Tue Jan 24, 2017 10:16 pm wrote:
maguskwt » Tue Jan 24, 2017 3:57 pm wrote:I don't think it's a case of looking down mate. Dortmund is a historical club that won the Bundesliga 8 times (2nd to only Bayern Munich). But the fact is that globally, the liverpool brand is more well known. Yet we are not somehow making use of that leverage...

Although I agree about us being a big brand globally, you have to remember that competition for promising youngsters is fierce now and to be honest these young 17-19 year old kids won't really relate to our successes in the 70s/80s. For them, it will all be about the premiership era/champions league (even our night in Istanbul was over a decade ago) etc. I'm sure there is some leverage in using our brand to get players in but not sure it is as great as people think to be honest.

20-25 years you would go around the world and kids would mainly be wearing LFC and manc jerseys. Now it's LFC, manc's, man city, chelsea, arsenal, spurs etc and not to mention the top european clubs. It's very competitive and as a club, success on the field is key to drive us forward

Not just success on the field, also signing big names that increase the profile of the club. A lot of players wouldnt doubt the ambitions of the club and rightly so. The likes of City, Chelsea, Utd, and even Arsenal go out and spend big money (and wages) to bring in high profile players. Many of these players pay their wages in shirt sales. Utd havent won anything of note the past few years, spend money like its running out of fashion, yet continue to grow their revenue and profits year in year out without even being in the CL. They're still the most attractive club for players in the league and -to a large extent- it's because of the names they have in their squad. If I'm a Spanish midfielder and I have the chance to play alongside Pogba, Ibrahovic, and Martial I'd take that ahead of playing alongside Henderson, Coutinho, and Firmino any day of the week. Add the fact we've developed this reputation as a club that sells it's big players and replaces them with lower profile players and it becomes a systemic issue unless the new players are winning trophies.
aCe'
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby parchpea » Wed Jan 25, 2017 6:08 pm

We where an A List club but thats been stripped away and we are a B list outfit now, absolutely no question about that.

The fire still burns in our hearts but Liverpool is run a very clinical and business like fashion to such a degree it has dampened expectations, mine are probably unrealistic but I find it hard to accept the lack of passion and speculation in the transfer market and in particular wages.

You cant always do the perfect deal but you nudge forward and backwards then forward again and sometimes take a punt on a player, you get what you can in the moment and Ive seen what difference a couple times of players could bring to us right now but theres always an excuse not to get it done.

Honestly im sick to death of our approach to recruitment, its sensible, too sensible, we need determination, agression and ambition, all what we want from players but in the boardroom.
parchpea
LFC Super Member

Postby maguskwt » Thu Jan 26, 2017 4:16 am

parchpea » Wed Jan 25, 2017 5:08 pm wrote:We where an A List club but thats been stripped away and we are a B list outfit now, absolutely no question about that.

The fire still burns in our hearts but Liverpool is run a very clinical and business like fashion to such a degree it has dampened expectations, mine are probably unrealistic but I find it hard to accept the lack of passion and speculation in the transfer market and in particular wages.

You cant always do the perfect deal but you nudge forward and backwards then forward again and sometimes take a punt on a player, you get what you can in the moment and Ive seen what difference a couple times of players could bring to us right now but theres always an excuse not to get it done.

Honestly im sick to death of our approach to recruitment, its sensible, too sensible, we need determination, agression and ambition, all what we want from players but in the boardroom.

spot on.
maguskwt
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Reg » Thu Jan 26, 2017 9:10 am

parchpea » Thu Jan 26, 2017 1:08 am wrote:We where an A List club but thats been stripped away and we are a B list outfit now, absolutely no question about that.

What you're saying is we need to show some balls in the transfer market.
Reg
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Thu Jan 26, 2017 9:54 am

To be fair Parchpea probably has a point, look at the last 12 months, last January (because of the way the Grujic deal was structured) we essentially signed no one, during the summer we actually made a profit and now this month looks like being a complete wash out too. No wonder the club is making record profits.
I'd say it's almost impossible to compete against the likes of Chelsea, City, United and Arsenal with a transfer policy like that.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby maguskwt » Thu Jan 26, 2017 11:10 am

Reg » Thu Jan 26, 2017 8:10 am wrote:
parchpea » Thu Jan 26, 2017 1:08 am wrote:We where an A List club but thats been stripped away and we are a B list outfit now, absolutely no question about that.

What you're saying is we need to show some balls in the transfer market.

We need to show balls and c*ck, the whole thing mate...
maguskwt
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby maguskwt » Sat Jan 28, 2017 1:24 pm

There was a link with one William Carvalho from Sporting Lisbon with us... needless to say I can't be bothered about these links anymore...
maguskwt
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby UvS xR4GEx » Sat Jan 28, 2017 3:31 pm

I remember mid December the fans not being fussed about the January transfer window.. how a month has changed everyone's mind. I can't watch anymore of this slow tempo football, we need pace and someone creative in the middle of midfield.
UvS xR4GEx
LFC Guru Member

Postby aCe' » Sat Jan 28, 2017 8:44 pm

We need decent backup more than anything. In attacking positions and possibly midfield to cope in case a lallana or wijanldum get injured . Squad is thin as fck and I don't buy into the whole 'either buy someone who will walk straight into the starting 11 or don't at all' nonsense. This would have worked a few years ago when we had the likes of Benayoun, Garcia and pretty much a decent-ish backup for every position. Go out and buy speciality players like Navas or Ashley Young for all I care. Just someone who would nullify the need to try different setups and players out of positions to cover one or two players missing
aCe'
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Doeboy » Sat Jan 28, 2017 8:54 pm

maguskwt » Sat Jan 28, 2017 12:24 pm wrote:There was a link with one William Carvalho from Sporting Lisbon with us... needless to say I can't be bothered about these links anymore...

Not for me. Actually reminds me a bit of Can.
Doeboy

Postby damjan193 » Sat Jan 28, 2017 10:56 pm

What happened with Dahoud?
damjan193
LFC Super Member

Postby redshade » Sun Jan 29, 2017 1:55 am

redshade
LFC Guru Member

Postby red till i die!! » Sun Jan 29, 2017 3:02 am

If we sign anyone it will be a kid and therefore not much use to us for the run in. Tbh are or were we even looking at anyone ?.. After all didn't we tie down 2 players with new deals so they are as good as new signings  :eyebrow

redshade wrote:http://www.express.co.uk/sport/football/759965/transfer-news-Liverpool-Chelsea-Arsenal-Roma-Leandro-Paredes-latest-gossip

Anyone know much about this guy??

I doubt there is much truth in that tbh. His profile suits the club though as in he is young and relatively unknown. He has played 22 times for Roma since he signed so maybe someone who watches the Serie A might be better placed to comment on his abilities. He might be an upgrade on Can though.
red till i die!!
LFC Super Member

Postby kazza » Sun Jan 29, 2017 6:12 am

I think we need quality players ( I mean real quality) through the team. Great goalie, CD, CM and attacker and what we have can make up the rest of the squad. That is asking a lot I know but with Klopp's shrewdness we could probably do it for 150 million, which seems a lot but it is not anymore. That will however make us contenders and a team to be feared and surely along with shirt sales and sponsorship will make that money back. You can't make money without spending money so the owners need to spend on the squad. Critical to this will be CL football next season so as we have said before time and time again we need to qualify for CL or we go back to the drawing board yet again. I cannot handle another year saying we have to wait another year.

I know, I know, all been said before  :down:

It really is a tough life for a Liverpool supporter with a good memory
kazza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Reg » Sun Jan 29, 2017 12:12 pm

kazza » Sun Jan 29, 2017 1:12 pm wrote:It really is a tough life for a Liverpool supporter with a good memory

BINGO!!  :laugh:  :laugh:
Reg
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to The Rumour Mill