Rumour of the day - For the miserable tw@ts amongst you

Liverpool Football Club - The Rumour Mill

Postby Reg » Mon Jan 23, 2017 2:30 am

We're not top league payers and because of that, Liverpool are a stepping stone to jackpot pay days whether we like it or not.

Either we start paying top dollar or our players will move to where they can get top dollar.
Reg
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby maguskwt » Mon Jan 23, 2017 9:42 am

Reg » Mon Jan 23, 2017 1:30 am wrote:We're not top league payers and because of that, Liverpool are a stepping stone to jackpot pay days whether we like it or not.

Either we start paying top dollar or our players will move to where they can get top dollar.

Precisely
maguskwt
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Doeboy » Mon Jan 23, 2017 11:47 am

Jurgen on transfer window...

http://www.skysports.com/football/news/ ... fer-window

Difficult to argue with that to be fair
Doeboy

Postby maguskwt » Mon Jan 23, 2017 12:59 pm

Aparently Courtois is on his way to Real. If we have any sort of ambition, we would enquire about the availability of Keylor Navas...
maguskwt
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Doeboy » Mon Jan 23, 2017 2:47 pm

Think Klopp see's Karius as his number one and won't be surprised he is just using this season to bed him in and will probably be starting next season. Don't see a keeper coming in
Doeboy

Postby redshade » Mon Jan 23, 2017 6:42 pm

Pulisic has extended his contract to 2020.
redshade
LFC Guru Member

Postby bunglemark2 » Mon Jan 23, 2017 8:16 pm

redshade » Mon Jan 23, 2017 5:42 pm wrote:Pulisic has extended his contract to 2020.

Ah shyte...
http://s2.tinypic.com/30ldif7_th.jpg
See yooo, Judas. Yoo're gettin' on mah titz !
bunglemark2

Postby Doeboy » Mon Jan 23, 2017 9:09 pm

redshade » Mon Jan 23, 2017 5:42 pm wrote:Pulisic has extended his contract to 2020.

Dortmund are a big club and buying a player they want to keep is neigh on impossible. Unless we offered ridiculously silly money that Dortmund just couldn't refuse, this just isn't going to happen now or in the summer. If we had a really promising young player coming through and Dortmund tried to buy him off us, we would slam the door in their faces to.
Doeboy

Postby red till i die!! » Tue Jan 24, 2017 1:41 am

We seem to be really interested in that pulisic kid although I am not sure why. He is only 18 and has only played 22 times for Dortmund so even if we did manage to sign him its hard to see how he would improve us. Anyway he isn't bothered because he just signed a new deal which ends any move so whatever deal we put to him then he clearly wasn't interested.
Reg wrote:We're not top league payers and because of that, Liverpool are a stepping stone to jackpot pay days whether we like it or not.

:nod
red till i die!!
LFC Super Member

Postby maguskwt » Tue Jan 24, 2017 3:10 am

Doeboy » Mon Jan 23, 2017 8:09 pm wrote:

Dortmund are a big club and buying a player they want to keep is neigh on impossible. Unless we offered ridiculously silly money that Dortmund just couldn't refuse, this just isn't going to happen now or in the summer. If we had a really promising young player coming through and Dortmund tried to buy him off us, we would slam the door in their faces to.

To me, Dortmund are doing a better job than us in procuring players mate, which shouldn't be the case. Globally, Liverpool's name hold more weight than Borussia Dortmund's. They just bought a 17 year old Swedish striker for 8.6 million pounds, which makes me compare it to our unwillingness to splash out even lesser money than that for Dele Alli. I've got no idea who that kid is. I'm just talking about the decisiveness and risk they take.
maguskwt
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby kazza » Tue Jan 24, 2017 12:01 pm

kazza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby parchpea » Tue Jan 24, 2017 2:49 pm

Carvalho is a big upgrade for us in DMF area so its a no brainer really, young enough and already a European Champion with plenty of growth, love to see it happen but its Liverpool who make you feel as if signing players is a sign of weakness and every deal is too complex to handle. Its incredibly frustrating to hear there isnt a single player out there to improve this team, absolute nonsense.
parchpea
LFC Super Member

Postby Pig Catcher » Tue Jan 24, 2017 3:33 pm

maguskwt » Tue Jan 24, 2017 2:10 am wrote:
Doeboy » Mon Jan 23, 2017 8:09 pm wrote:

To me, Dortmund are doing a better job than us in procuring players mate, which shouldn't be the case. Globally, Liverpool's name hold more weight than Borussia Dortmund's. They just bought a 17 year old Swedish striker for 8.6 million pounds, which makes me compare it to our unwillingness to splash out even lesser money than that for Dele Alli. I've got no idea who that kid is. I'm just talking about the decisiveness and risk they take.

I agree we need to do better at identifying the best 18-20 years olds and completing deals for them. But we bought in 19 year old Divock Origi for 10mil and 19 year old Marko Grujic for more than Spurs paid for Alli. So there is no unwillingness by the club to spend on young talent. We just misjudged the Alli situation and thought we could get a better deal because he was keen to come to us.

Much of our fan base look down on the likes of Dortmund thinking players will automatically choose us over them. But the reality is that Dortmund are financially stable/competitive and can pretty much guarantee Champions League football every season and have a track record over the past 5 years of teenagers becoming important first team players.
Pig Catcher
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby maguskwt » Tue Jan 24, 2017 4:57 pm

I don't think it's a case of looking down mate. Dortmund is a historical club that won the Bundesliga 8 times (2nd to only Bayern Munich). But the fact is that globally, the liverpool brand is more well known. Yet we are not somehow making use of that leverage...
maguskwt
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Doeboy » Tue Jan 24, 2017 7:16 pm

maguskwt » Tue Jan 24, 2017 3:57 pm wrote:I don't think it's a case of looking down mate. Dortmund is a historical club that won the Bundesliga 8 times (2nd to only Bayern Munich). But the fact is that globally, the liverpool brand is more well known. Yet we are not somehow making use of that leverage...

Although I agree about us being a big brand globally, you have to remember that competition for promising youngsters is fierce now and to be honest these young 17-19 year old kids won't really relate to our successes in the 70s/80s. For them, it will all be about the premiership era/champions league (even our night in Istanbul was over a decade ago) etc. I'm sure there is some leverage in using our brand to get players in but not sure it is as great as people think to be honest.

20-25 years you would go around the world and kids would mainly be wearing LFC and manc jerseys. Now it's LFC, manc's, man city, chelsea, arsenal, spurs etc and not to mention the top european clubs. It's very competitive and as a club, success on the field is key to drive us forward
Doeboy

PreviousNext

Return to The Rumour Mill