Rumour of the day - For the miserable tw@ts amongst you

Liverpool Football Club - The Rumour Mill

Postby leeroy74 » Wed Jan 04, 2017 1:35 pm

7_Kewell » Wed Dec 21, 2016 1:42 pm wrote:
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Wed Dec 21, 2016 12:09 pm wrote:I wouldn't mind Hart tbh, I think he could do a similar job for us to what Van Der Saar did for United, as an out-and-out shot stopper Mingolet is probably better than Hart but I just think Joe is less likely to crumble under pressure. I do think it's all academic anyway, no way would City sell him to us, they are not going to help one of their rivals out of a hole, it would be like us selling Arsenal Sturridge if they had a striker crisis.
I think we do need to sign at least one top quality player though, I know we spent decent money on Mane in the summer but the truth is £35m isnt that much anymore, the clubs who we are competing against now regularly spend more than that on the likes of Pogba, Stones, Sanchez, Ozil, Sterling, Martial, Di Maria, Mata etc etc.

Pogba, Stone, Martial have all been poor, poor signings. As was Di Maria. All big money players who have done f**k all. Sterling has slowly improved at City, but I've yet to meet one of their fans who thinks he's worth the money they paid us. I wouldn't have Ozil here either and the fact the lad wants £200+ a week is hilarious  :laugh: 

So out of those 8 big money players, just 2 are not sh!t. Point proven.

Not forgetting with the exception of Stones all of them play for teams that are currently BELOW us in the league
leeroy74
LFC Super Member

Postby maguskwt » Sat Jan 07, 2017 2:05 pm

yeah yeah yeah... you guys can puff your chest out all you want and say what you want because JK has managed our players to play at a high level currently. In the long run, players like Pogba, ie players of real quality that will win them trophies. Just because we are playing well this season doesnt mean that Klopp could keep squeezing blood out of stones. Unless we invest in real quality, don't bet your house that we'll be winning trophies. The last time we won a high level trophy, we had plenty of quality in the team.

And before any numpties start claiming I'm advocating spending crazy money, I'm talking about spending wisely and making early moves on quality players without fussing about 1-2 millions difference and being stingy on wages like offering 4k a week to Delle Ali
maguskwt
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Sat Jan 07, 2017 3:39 pm

maguskwt » Sat Jan 07, 2017 1:05 pm wrote:yeah yeah yeah... you guys can puff your chest out all you want and say what you want because JK has managed our players to play at a high level currently. In the long run, players like Pogba, ie players of real quality that will win them trophies. Just because we are playing well this season doesnt mean that Klopp could keep squeezing blood out of stones. Unless we invest in real quality, don't bet your house that we'll be winning trophies. The last time we won a high level trophy, we had plenty of quality in the team.

And before any numpties start claiming I'm advocating spending crazy money, I'm talking about spending wisely and making early moves on quality players without fussing about 1-2 millions difference and being stingy on wages like offering 4k a week to Delle Ali

Yep, spot on mate, good post.
Jurgen is the type of manager that could probably take XI non league players and mould them into a semi-decent outfit but to compete consistently for the biggest prizes in the game (i.e the prem title and the CL) you need quality players.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby Doeboy » Sat Jan 07, 2017 8:02 pm

Think the mancs definitely overpaid for Pogba but I think that's the only way you are going to prise star players form european heavyweights like Juventus, Bayern. Dortmund etc. Not like you are going to a smaller club and can just pick off their best players. There's no doubt he is a quality player and is starting to influence their games much more than he was compared to a few months back. Gerrard did recently say his potential is quite scary considering he is still only 23.
Doeboy

Postby redshade » Sat Jan 07, 2017 8:55 pm

Problem is we are never going to spend more than 40+mill for one player.
We are still slowing progressing close to the 35 mill mark.
We won't spend high sums like City, United or Chelsea.

I agree though if we want titles we have to over spend.
At times it may not work in our favour but at times it can be pivitol.
80+mill for Pogba is friggin crazy but if he does have a crucial impact on them and helps them to glory then its money well spent or shall we say repaid for.

When City snapped KDB for 50+mill i was thinking here we go another overpriced player.
However his impact says another.

In order to compete in the market you have to spend atleast 150 mill. Thats if you want to compete on all levels.
redshade
LFC Guru Member

Postby bunglemark2 » Sun Jan 08, 2017 12:29 am

The players we've been linked with this transfer window, hadn't a clue who they were. That's worrying - that we're not being looked by the press either.
Maybe Klopp prefers to day nowt and let others just get on with that side of it, I'm hoping that's the case anyway.
http://s2.tinypic.com/30ldif7_th.jpg
See yooo, Judas. Yoo're gettin' on mah titz !
bunglemark2

Postby maguskwt » Sun Jan 08, 2017 1:50 am

redshade » Sat Jan 07, 2017 7:55 pm wrote:Problem is we are never going to spend more than 40+mill for one player.

80+mill for Pogba is friggin crazy but if he does have a crucial impact on them and helps them to glory then its money well spent or shall we say repaid for.

When City snapped KDB for 50+mill i was thinking here we go another overpriced player.

In order to compete in the market you have to spend at least 150 mill. Thats if you want to compete on all levels.

I think that we can still get real quality players within the 30-40 million range mate. We just have to move in decisively and not too stingy on the wages. Mane is a quality player in that price range for example. Like I said I'm not advocating on competing in level terms with the other moneybag teams. First of all we need to improve on our scouting. For example, I don't understand how Southampton could keep on signing quality players for peanuts and then sell them for 4-5 times of what they bought them for to the bigger teams. FFS, if they have kept all their quality players in the past starting from gareth bale, they could have been challenging for the league title consistently now. Why can't we spot these players that Southampton scouts can spot? How could a team like Tottenham, a brand that has so much less influence than ours in the world, out-compete us for players like Eriksen, Sigurdsson, Wanyama, etc. I have to point the finger at FSG on our dismal performances in the transfer market and the scouting department.
maguskwt
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby redshade » Sun Jan 08, 2017 4:12 am

Speaking of transfers seems like we will step into the race of signing Promes. Spartak however want 25mill.
This guy is quick and could score.
redshade
LFC Guru Member

Postby UvS xR4GEx » Sun Jan 08, 2017 12:11 pm

I think Promes wants to stay till the end of the year and win the league with Spartak.. but he's definitely one to consider for next year. I heard he's got a release clause in his contract also but not sure how much it's for.
UvS xR4GEx
LFC Guru Member

Postby only me » Mon Jan 09, 2017 9:11 am

What ever we do we need to do it quickly! as of right now!
Their is no sense or logic in waiting the transfer window out ,we need players immediately or it won't matter.
only me
LFC Super Member

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Mon Jan 09, 2017 3:21 pm

I get the sense Jurgen is not keen on bringing in players just to pad out his squad, he only really seems to sign players that he thinks will become first team regulars (Mane, Matip, Wijnaldum etc).
Even Karius, I think when he signed Karius he fully expected him to be our number 1 keeper.
He's probably looked at our best XI on paper and thought to himself who do I sign to improve this without spending ridiculous money?
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby Pig Catcher » Mon Jan 09, 2017 3:29 pm

ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Mon Jan 09, 2017 2:21 pm wrote:I get the sense Jurgen is not keen on bringing in players just to pad out his squad, he only really seems to sign players that he thinks will become first team regulars (Mane, Matip, Wijnaldum etc).
Even Karius, I think when he signed Karius he fully expected him to be our number 1 keeper.
He's probably looked at our best XI on paper and thought to himself who do I sign to improve this without spending ridiculous money?

That's pretty much what he has said every time he has been asked about transfers. He isn't going to buy players just to make up the numbers. He'd rather play players already here or those from academy if he can't get players that fit in with his long term plans. No bad thing I reckon. Hopefully we'll sign an attacking player in this window but wouldn't surprise me if we don't.
Pig Catcher
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby leeroy74 » Mon Jan 09, 2017 4:23 pm

then his method is badly wrong. It's ok having a cracking first XI that he wouldn't buy to improve if they all stay fit for a season. Fact is, we have injuries and the back up players are NOT good enough. If he can't see that then he's mad
leeroy74
LFC Super Member

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Mon Jan 09, 2017 5:47 pm

Pig Catcher wrote:
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Mon Jan 09, 2017 2:21 pm wrote:I get the sense Jurgen is not keen on bringing in players just to pad out his squad, he only really seems to sign players that he thinks will become first team regulars (Mane, Matip, Wijnaldum etc).

That's pretty much what he has said every time he has been asked about transfers. He isn't going to buy players just to make up the numbers. He'd rather play players already here or those from academy if he can't get players that fit in with his long term plans. No bad thing I reckon. Hopefully we'll sign an attacking player in this window but wouldn't surprise me if we don't.

Yep, admirable in some ways mate but given our gegenpressing style of play and the fact that there's no winter break in this country you'd think for us having a deep squad would practically be a necessity.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby Penguins » Mon Jan 09, 2017 7:14 pm

maguskwt » Sun Jan 08, 2017 12:50 am wrote:
redshade » Sat Jan 07, 2017 7:55 pm wrote:Problem is we are never going to spend more than 40+mill for one player.

In order to compete in the market you have to spend at least 150 mill. Thats if you want to compete on all levels.

I think that we can still get real quality players within the 30-40 million range mate. We just have to move in decisively and not too stingy on the wages. Mane is a quality player in that price range for example. Like I said I'm not advocating on competing in level terms with the other moneybag teams. First of all we need to improve on our scouting. For example, I don't understand how Southampton could keep on signing quality players for peanuts and then sell them for 4-5 times of what they bought them for to the bigger teams. FFS, if they have kept all their quality players in the past starting from gareth bale, they could have been challenging for the league title consistently now. Why can't we spot these players that Southampton scouts can spot? How could a team like Tottenham, a brand that has so much less influence than ours in the world, out-compete us for players like Eriksen, Sigurdsson, Wanyama, etc. I have to point the finger at FSG on our dismal performances in the transfer market and the scouting department.

Spot on. Klopp is glossing over the owners lack of investment in the playing squad since they took over. And no, losing for example Suarez and then buying players is not a net positive.
Penguins
LFC Super Member

PreviousNext

Return to The Rumour Mill