Rumour of the day - For the miserable tw@ts amongst you

Liverpool Football Club - The Rumour Mill

Postby C-R » Tue Jun 21, 2016 6:00 am

In more realistic news, Anton Townsend anyone ???

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/201 ... mancheste/
C-R
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Klopptomaniac » Tue Jun 21, 2016 7:56 am

I think the papers are just filling space while the Euros are on
Klopptomaniac
LFC Advanced Member

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Tue Jun 21, 2016 9:29 am

We need to be looking at better players than Townsend if we want to finish in the top 4 next season. Kovacic would fit the bill but I've lost all faith in the club signing players of his type of calibre.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby C-R » Tue Jun 21, 2016 10:40 am

The Echo are stating clearly we hold no interest in Townsend

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/fo ... m-11502369
C-R
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Tue Jun 21, 2016 11:31 pm

Apparently we put a £7m bid in for Chilwell but Leicester want £10m. By the sounds of it if Leicester won't lower their demands then we will turn our attention to Hull City's highly rated Scottish LB Andy Robertson.
Over on RAWK they are saying that the normally reliable Paul Joyce reckons we are looking to sign Mane for £30m too.

No way on earth is Mane worth £30m and even £7m (never mind £10m) for Chilwell is a joke. There is a reason why this club is on the slide and it's because of decisions in the transfer market like this.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby Reg » Wed Jun 22, 2016 1:43 am

We spend it because he have it mate, there's little thought as to whether it makes sense or not.
Reg
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby C-R » Wed Jun 22, 2016 5:45 am

What really put's things into perspective is when Watford knock back a bid of 30 million for Troy Deeney by Leicester  :eyebrow
C-R
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Pig Catcher » Wed Jun 22, 2016 9:38 am

The Premier League is awash with money. As long as the TV deal keeps increasing so will transfer fees and wages. A player who would have cost £15mil five years ago will now go for almost twice as much.

Our problem is not how much we spend on players, it's who we decide to spend that money on. I’m not too bothered about how much we spend I just want us to buy to a footballing plan rather than being so scattergun.

Klopp has already bought in a first choice GK and CB before pre-season so we’re doing OK. Most people had never heard of those players until we were linked to them and the truth is if they had cost £20mil+ each those that are moaning would probably be praising the club.

Think of the first summer windows Ged and Rafa had. Most of those players where unknown but many of them went on to help the club win trophies and become club legends. I just want Klopp to bring in the right players and it wouldn’t bother me if they all came on bosmons.
Pig Catcher
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Penguins » Wed Jun 22, 2016 9:46 am

Sure, it could never happen that the clubs sends out signals that bosmans just happens to be the 1st choice.
That way it doesn't have to spend big and still the sheep swallow it all up...
Penguins
LFC Super Member

Postby Reg » Wed Jun 22, 2016 10:06 am

Pig Catcher » Wed Jun 22, 2016 4:38 pm wrote:Think of the first summer windows Ged and Rafa had. Most of those players where unknown but many of them went on to help the club win trophies and become club legends. I just want Klopp to bring in the right players and it wouldn’t bother me if they all came on bosmons.

Morientes, Josemi.....  :ghostface:  :ghostface:
Reg
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Pig Catcher » Wed Jun 22, 2016 10:13 am

I was thinking more the likes of Hyypia, Henchoz and Hamann under Ged, and Alonso and Garcia under Rafa. None of them we’re considered big name marquee signings at the time but all played key roles in helping us win trophies.
Pig Catcher
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby leeroy74 » Wed Jun 22, 2016 12:22 pm

Pig Catcher » Wed Jun 22, 2016 9:13 am wrote:I was thinking more the likes of Hyypia, Henchoz and Hamann under Ged, and Alonso and Garcia under Rafa. None of them we’re considered big name marquee signings at the time but all played key roles in helping us win trophies.

What? I'd say these were relatively big signings...

Hamann - first teamer at Bayern and a German international by the time he joined Liverpool.
Henchoz - Turned down Man Utd to sign for Blackburn prior to joining Liverpool, also he was already a Swiss international.
Alonso - Real Sociedad regular and a Spanish international
Garcia - came from Barcelona, also a Spanish international
leeroy74
LFC Super Member

Postby Penguins » Wed Jun 22, 2016 12:48 pm

So Chilwell....
Is Brendan still at the club cause if that is the level we are going for nothing has changed....
He hasn't even played a single PL game or any game for that matter in a top league. Prospects, prospects, same Sh*t every year :(

And Mane? Really? Benteke mach 2. Super inflated price from mid table clubs, never seen that before.....
Penguins
LFC Super Member

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Wed Jun 22, 2016 1:05 pm

I can't understand our obsession with buying AM's either, we already have Coutinho, Firmino, Lallana, Origi, Markovic, Ibe and Ojo who can all do a job there, its centre mid where we are weak, that's the area of the team where we should be spending £30m.
Also, is Mane really a significant upgrade on the likes of Firmino or Origi? Given how inconsistent he is we could end up spending £30m on someone who won't even be a guaranteed starter.
:no  No wonder the club is on the slide.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby maguskwt » Wed Jun 22, 2016 5:19 pm

leeroy74 » Wed Jun 22, 2016 11:22 am wrote:
Pig Catcher » Wed Jun 22, 2016 9:13 am wrote:I was thinking more the likes of Hyypia, Henchoz and Hamann under Ged, and Alonso and Garcia under Rafa. None of them we’re considered big name marquee signings at the time but all played key roles in helping us win trophies.

What? I'd say these were relatively big signings...

Hamann - first teamer at Bayern and a German international by the time he joined Liverpool.
Henchoz - Turned down Man Utd to sign for Blackburn prior to joining Liverpool, also he was already a Swiss international.
Alonso - Real Sociedad regular and a Spanish international
Garcia - came from Barcelona, also a Spanish international

I think I have posted before that only during under Rafa, we had ambitions in the transfer market. Back then we did take risks... but the risks were on quality players and we went for them early: Torres, Alonso, Garcia, Masherano, Reina, all were obviously talented but not so well known yet. Now, we can't even do that...i.e. compete for talented players early. Now, we are always going for bargains or potential. But then I remembered some complaining that under Rafa, we signed too many foreign players and that's why we couldn't win the league. After that Kenny came in and signed a bunch of English/ British players like Carrol, Downing and Adams. And we know how that turned out...
maguskwt
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to The Rumour Mill