Rumour of the day - For the miserable tw@ts amongst you

Liverpool Football Club - The Rumour Mill

Postby Sabre » Mon Jun 29, 2015 8:17 am

Yes he definitely would give options the problem is that when you don't have the ridiculous money United or Citeh have, you have to make every million count and 15M is a good sum.

As for Bacca, no one gave a f*ck for him until he was given a chance due to other players injuries. You could say he's a poor man's Costa. A player that I would like to have for my local club, but not of the league of Suarez or Falcaos, the kind of player Liverpool requires to battle the really rich clubs.

And Pedro? Don't pay a lot of that player. Sometimes skill is just not enough.
SOS member #1499

Drummerphil, never forgotten.
Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Buck Rodgers » Mon Jun 29, 2015 8:29 am

Sabre » Mon Jun 29, 2015 8:17 am wrote:Yes he definitely would give options the problem is that when you don't have the ridiculous money United or Citeh have, you have to make every million count and 15M is a good sum.

As for Bacca, no one gave a f*ck for him until he was given a chance due to other players injuries. You could say he's a poor man's Costa. A player that I would like to have for my local club, but not of the league of Suarez or Falcaos, the kind of player Liverpool requires to battle the really rich clubs.

Bacca will score goals though mate - doesn't look the greatest player but will put the ball in the need when given the chance - he will do well in Milan

I have never been a Pedro fan - again just doesn't score enough

I expect we will end up with Benteke - which could well be a good signing but the price is highb
Buck Rodgers
LFC Advanced Member

Postby woof woof ! » Mon Jun 29, 2015 9:47 am

Must admit I started to cool on Bacca. Hadn't seen much of the fella but checked out all his goals on YouTube ( I know I know  :D ). On the up side he seemed to have the knack of being able to get into the right place at the right time and stick the ball in the net. On the down side, I didn't see much technical ability or flair, seemed quite a "scruffy" player. Can't say right now that I'm actually disappointed we didn't sign him.

As for Benteke, like some others in here I'm still wondering how if we sign him he'll fit into Rodgers plan. Bentekes' style reminds me more of an Andy Carroll than a Sturridge or Suarez.

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby Buck Rodgers » Mon Jun 29, 2015 9:57 am

Benteke is the starting striker for one of the most fluid attacking International teams - Belguim , they don't throw balls into the box for him or throw in crosses for him , he is part of the attacking build up.

With Villa they play a different style and he is able to fit in with the way they play

So looking in he seems actually to be a versatile player who can adapt but £30mil is a lot of money
Buck Rodgers
LFC Advanced Member

Postby woof woof ! » Mon Jun 29, 2015 10:46 am

I've only watched him play for Villa, you're asserting there's a lot more to his game, should we sign him I can only hope you're right.

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby Buck Rodgers » Mon Jun 29, 2015 10:57 am

Certainly got a lot more to his game than Carroll for example. He will also thrive on crosses because he is very strong in the air and will provide a physical presence and will score goals - for Villa he feeds of scraps and balls thrown up to him and does a very good job for them.

Costa is the same - a big physical presence who uses his strengths very well.

The only issue I have is the price tag - if he was £20mil then you would snap him up

Offer than plus Lambert and we could see us get him -
Buck Rodgers
LFC Advanced Member

Postby RED BEERGOGGLES » Mon Jun 29, 2015 11:08 am

Sabre » Mon Jun 29, 2015 7:17 am wrote:Yes he definitely would give options the problem is that when you don't have the ridiculous money United or Citeh have, you have to make every million count and 15M is a good sum.

Delighted to read your input again fella ,I agree regarding Bacca ,but I think Pedro has been overshadowed by the monsters in the Barca team ,and in a side heavily
reliant upon his pace and ability he would shine .I honestly wouldn't be surprised if he ended up at Arsenal or even City ,as he would be ideal for their respective
games.
RED BEERGOGGLES
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Mon Jun 29, 2015 11:51 am

Buck Rodgers » Mon Jun 29, 2015 9:57 am wrote:Certainly got a lot more to his game than Carroll for example. He will also thrive on crosses because he is very strong in the air and will provide a physical presence and will score goals - for Villa he feeds of scraps and balls thrown up to him and does a very good job for them.

The only issue I have is the price tag - if he was £20mil then you would snap him up

I remember reading some stats over on RAWK about Benteke and apparently he has one of the worst pass completion rates of any CF in the league, on the other hand he has scored at an average of about 1 goal every 2 games throughout his entire career (including at Villa P82 G42) which is pretty impressive.
He obviously isn't the most technically gifted player but it hasn't stopped him scoring goals, even if he isn't the most natural fit for Coutinho and Firmino I imagine he'd still get more chances created for him here than Villa and if he puts them away for them I can't see any reason why he can't put them away for us.
I'm starting to warm to the idea of signing him.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby maguskwt » Mon Jun 29, 2015 11:57 am

Sabre » Mon Jun 29, 2015 6:49 am wrote:
Buck Rodgers » Fri Jun 26, 2015 5:25 pm wrote:
JC_81 » Fri Jun 26, 2015 5:51 pm wrote:Most important thing in signing a new striker is someone who has proven that they can put the ball in the net at a high level. I'm not specifically talking about Bacca - I've not seen much of him. But at least he's proven he can do that.

Pedro ain't a number 9. If we spend big again this windows on a forward then it has to be someone who'll improve our goal return. I'm not sure for the 20mil or so he'd cost that pedro would do that. He's always been a bit part player so expecting him, at 27, to come into a different league and, sorry to say, an inferior team in terms of quality, and be as good as some think I'm just not sure.

Exactly - we need a goalscorer first and foremost

Correct both of you.

Also I'm reading about Liverpool making a bid for Illarramendi. He is a good player, but one thing is to say someone is a good player and another thing is to say he's good enough for Liverpool (meaning for that money you'd expect him to be a key player from moment one and he is not that good). 20M is little less than what Liverpool got for Alonso and Illarramendi is not quite Xabi Alonso.

Good to see you again sabre.

In general, I agree with what you say. But nowadays players are just more expensive, even compared to the time Alonso left.
maguskwt
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Buck Rodgers » Mon Jun 29, 2015 12:03 pm

ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Mon Jun 29, 2015 11:51 am wrote:
Buck Rodgers » Mon Jun 29, 2015 9:57 am wrote:Certainly got a lot more to his game than Carroll for example. He will also thrive on crosses because he is very strong in the air and will provide a physical presence and will score goals - for Villa he feeds of scraps and balls thrown up to him and does a very good job for them.

I remember reading some stats over on RAWK about Benteke and apparently he has one of the worst pass completion rates of any CF in the league, on the other hand he has scored at an average of about 1 goal every 2 games throughout his entire career (including at Villa P82 G42) which is pretty impressive.
He obviously isn't the most technically gifted player but it hasn't stopped him scoring goals, even if he isn't the most natural fit for Coutinho and Firmino I imagine he'd still get more chances created for him here than Villa and if he puts them away for them I can't see any reason why he can't put them away for us.
I'm starting to warm to the idea of signing him.

The problem is with stats like those they include knock downs and lay offs etc

Stats like pass completion for a striker are as much use as shots on goal for a GK

It's the goals scored that counts - and he is also doesn't need to be "techincally gifted as such"

He would certainly be a better fit than Lambert , Balotelli etc and would score 20 goals for us
Buck Rodgers
LFC Advanced Member

Postby number 8 ynwa » Mon Jun 29, 2015 12:17 pm

Please be true....

Gonzalo Higuain has told Napoli he wants to join Liverpool, according to reports.

The striker has been linked with a move away from Italy this summer following the club's failure to qualify for next season's Champions League.

Rafa Benitez also stepped down as manager in order to join Higuain's former club Real Madrid, and the Argentina international looks set to follow.

Manchester United, Arsenal and Chelsea are believed to be interested, but Italian newspaper Sport Mediaset claims that Higuain has pleaded with Napoli to accept a bid from Liverpool.

Brendan Rodgers has already signed Burnley's Danny Ings on a free transfer while also wrapping up deals for Manchester City's James Milner and Hoffenheim's Roberto Firmino.

Southampton's Nathaniel Clyne has arrived on Merseyside ahead of his Anfield switch, and Higuain could be the next big name to link up with Rodgers.

Source: Daily Express
number 8 ynwa
LFC Basic Member

Postby Doeboy » Mon Jun 29, 2015 12:40 pm

Would be amazing but sadly a Daily Express story. Biggest bullshitters alongside The Metro
Doeboy

Postby number 8 ynwa » Mon Jun 29, 2015 1:20 pm

Doeboy » Mon Jun 29, 2015 12:40 pm wrote:Would be amazing but sadly a Daily Express story. Biggest bullshitters alongside The Metro

Haha  funny you should say that, The Metro are also reporting it!!!!
number 8 ynwa
LFC Basic Member

Postby woof woof ! » Mon Jun 29, 2015 2:06 pm

They are only reporting what was said in the Italian media.

I don't know how reliable the italian paper Sport Mediaset is but here's a rough translation of the original comment

HIGUAIN winks at LIVERPOOL

Liverpool follows Higuain and the Argentine is eager to move to Premier. The player has in fact asked Aurelio De Laurentiis to seriously consider an offer of the Reds. Anfield Road already dreaming of his arrival. On Pipita there are also Manchester United, Chelsea and, more secluded, Arsenal.

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby RED BEERGOGGLES » Mon Jun 29, 2015 2:07 pm

Ludwig Augustinsson .... a player we're interested in ,or the title of an arty Swedish movie  ???
RED BEERGOGGLES
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to The Rumour Mill