Real sociedad asks for agger - On loan

Liverpool Football Club - The Rumour Mill

Postby Sabre » Tue May 23, 2006 10:19 pm

Source: El Mundo Deportivo

http://www.elmundodeportivo.es/20060523/NOTICIA220446573.html

La Real también ha preguntado por la situación de otros dos centrales, por lo menos. Uno de ellos es el joven internacional danés Daniel Agger, fichado por el Liverpool en el mercado de invierno procedente del Brondby. Es zurdo y sólo tiene 21 años y Rafa Benítez le ha alineado en 4 partidos.

Bakero tiene muy buenos informes de él -estuvo a las órdenes de Michael Laudrup, fue compañero de Skoubo- y se ha interesado sobre la posibilidad de que llegue cedido a Donostia, lo que al técnico madrileño no le disgustaría, ya que gozaría de las oportunidades que, a priori, no tendrá en Anfield Road.

The part that is a fact:

Bakero our manager has asked Liverpool about Agger, and declared his interest on having Agger on loan for one year.

RS has good reports both from Skoubo, Laudrup (played and coached Agger's former team) and Benitez himself.

The part that is rumour:

According to the newspaper, Rafa wouldn't dislike the idea of having Agger playing regularly on primera (he definitely would, he's far better than our CB) as part of his preparation to play for Liverpool.

The part that is a fact again:

Real Sociedad is recovering from a economical crisis. We had to sell Alonso to try to fix the last corrupt board's deeds. Bakero has said our buy budget is as low as 3M quid, and we have to sign up one defensive midfielder (he has eventually noticed Mikel Alonso is sh!ite in that position) and a CB. He has also said that he'll have to use the good relationships RS has with some clubs to reinforce our team, not discarding players on loan.

What do you think guys?, is it time for Agger to play regularly and sitting down Hyppia? or would you also like the idea of test him on a top league with regular first team football?. I swear it's not because the target club would be RS, I do think it would be an excellent option to gain experience and start handling playing football under pressure.
Last edited by Sabre on Tue May 23, 2006 10:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SOS member #1499

Drummerphil, never forgotten.
Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Cool Hand Luke » Tue May 23, 2006 10:33 pm

A season of first team football in a good league like Spain would be great for Agger.

But were would that leave us? Hyypia, Carragher and the young and untested Paleta, I can believe Real Sociedad have asked because he looks a classy player, but I doubt we would let him go unless Rafa has someone to cover his position, the team must come first.

i think yes what about you
Cool Hand Luke
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Sabre » Tue May 23, 2006 10:37 pm

Yes, I have to agree that it would be far too risky to play so many competitions without a cover for Hyppia and Carra -- this season, we simply have been lucky when it comes to injuries of the main defenders.

But I also doubt Agger is prepared to be in the starting eleven, he's very young. Meaning that if I were Rafa I'd us him more than 4 games, but not regularly.

IMO, if we don't buy another centre back, Agger has to say, but I do think Rafa will sign another defender this summer, don't ask why.
SOS member #1499

Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby andy_g » Tue May 23, 2006 10:41 pm

as much as i'd like to help out real sociedad i wouldn't like to see agger disappear for the whole season. i can see him being a valuable part of the squad next season and the kind of cover we desperately need at centre back. but if we're to keep our good relationship with sociedad going why don't we've got a couple of very promising young central defenders in the youth/reserves that would gain a hell of a lot from a season in la liga.

Get up! everybody's gonna move their feet
Get Down! everybody's gonna leave their seat
andy_g
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby madred » Tue May 23, 2006 10:57 pm

Sorry but them days should be over when we start loaning out players who have potential but have to go elsewhere to realise it. While i feel for Sociedad's position, we should be keeping Agger and easing him in gradually here.
madred
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Sabre » Tue May 23, 2006 11:07 pm

as much as i'd like to help out real sociedad i wouldn't like to see agger disappear for the whole season. i can see him being a valuable part of the squad next season and the kind of cover we desperately need at centre back. but if we're to keep our good relationship with sociedad going why don't we've got a couple of very promising young central defenders in the youth/reserves that would gain a hell of a lot from a season in la liga.

I understand that right now LFC can't afford having Agger on loan. But if another centre back is brought, and that wouldn't surprise me (because I see Agger and Paletta as a more long term inversion) the situation would be different.

As for the loans, I disagree madred. The loan option is not a bad option, as Mark Gonzalez will prove , it's a great option when the player has the potential but he's just too young to show it. Navas himself has been on loan in several segunda team before giving the definitive jump to regular first team football. Loans are a bad option, or a bad sympthom when they are the consequence of a bad squad management and you have many not valid players in your squad.

We're in need to fix our back, and we are so in need, that I'd be chuffed if we could have Traoré on loan (He's not good enough for Liverpool, but anybody that knows some football do know he's valid for a top league).
SOS member #1499

Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby madred » Tue May 23, 2006 11:15 pm

Sabre wrote:

I understand that right now LFC can't afford having Agger on loan. But if another centre back is brought, and that wouldn't surprise me (because I see Agger and Paletta as a more long term inversion) the situation would be different.

As for the loans, I disagree madred. The loan option is not a bad option, as Mark Gonzalez will prove , it's a great option when the player has the potential but he's just too young to show it. Navas himself has been on loan in several segunda team before giving the definitive jump to regular first team football. Loans are a bad option, or a bad sympthom when they are the consequence of a bad squad management and you have many not valid players in your squad.

We're in need to fix our back, and we are so in need, that I'd be chuffed if we could have Traoré on loan (He's not good enough for Liverpool, but anybody that knows some football do know he's valid for a top league).

Its not that bad a option if Rafa feels he may need it? With Gonzalez i presumed he was only in la liga due to his work permit? Rafa had him down as someone who was going to make a big difference to the squad after the champions league win. Sadly this wasnt to be so he went to Sociedad. This will really be down to the boss and pre season could tell us a lot more.
madred
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Sabre » Tue May 23, 2006 11:51 pm

Of course he came thanks to the permit, needless to say. But he came extremely unfit. And yes, you can get fit through training but you also need matches  and minutes to gain match fitness. And here he had those minutes and the games in a row a player needs to get that form. Could he have those minutes on Anfield this season even with the work permit? I don't think so, there's competence in the LW, with Kewell and Riise, I wouldn't have seen Gonzalez given those minutes this season.

As for the products that Liverpool has in the youth system, would you think that a player like Whitbread (Millwall on loan)could improve our back and play at that level? I have seen very little of the guy and I don't have an opinion. The Liga is very competitive, and the centre backs we have are hardly primera players (IMHO),. Not any player could do it. I know Agger could, though. (And that's why you are all reluctant to have him on loan of course ) :laugh:
Last edited by Sabre on Tue May 23, 2006 11:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SOS member #1499

Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Ciggy » Wed May 24, 2006 12:49 am

You can have Traore for free Sabre with all our blessings  :D
He is a CH anyway.
But Sabre lad as much as I luv ya mate your a diamond, and as much as we would love to help RS Agger has to stay at Liverpool next season he needs to bed into the first team Hyypia is getting on a bit now and him and Carra have never been the quickest anyway.
This season he will be rotated with Carra and hyypia as a permenant replacement I feel.
I doubt very much that Rafa would loan him out.
La Liga and the prem and totally different when it comes to defenders how many defenders in England have played in La Liga I dont think many.

The prem is rough, in your face Feckinell Boltons players climb on your neck at set pieces where as they are not aloud to do this in Spain.

I hope your club gets saved Sabre If I win the lottery Ill buy you a defender  :D
But alas I havent not yet anyway.
The defence department we are pretty short of at the moment, Im sure something will work out.
There is no-one anywhere in the world at any stage who is any bigger or any better than this football club.

Kenny Dalglish 1/2/2011

REST IN PEACE PHIL, YOU WILL NEVER BE FORGOTTEN.
Ciggy
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby HacksawJimDuggin » Wed May 24, 2006 8:46 am

If Sociedad give us Prieto and we secure Melli as cover at the back then let Agger go on loan for a season. I would have no issue with him playing regularly in La Liga for a season before returning to Anfield. He is seen as one for the future. He is only 20-21 yrs old remember.
HacksawJimDuggin
LFC Super Member

Postby PCG77 » Wed May 24, 2006 11:08 am

The loan option is fine.. Just insert a recall clause as a back up in case we have a few injuries
PCG77

Postby wee_boi888 » Wed May 24, 2006 1:00 pm

Why don't we give Palleta the loan spell instead? I haven't seen much of him at all but USUALLY, south americans adapt better in spain than in the UK and first team exp is good for him as well.

Also, has he received his work permit? Maybe we might have to do something similar to Mark where we have to get an EU passport...
wee_boi888
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Sabre » Wed May 24, 2006 4:42 pm

I hope your club gets saved Sabre If I win the lottery Ill buy you a defender

Oh perhaps I sounded too dramatic. We're on need of reinforcing our back, but actually, I'm pretty optimistic about or next season if we make good back signing ups. We have done our worst season of history, we can improve only right now. Typical place of RS is mid table, with some UEFA qualifications every 3-4 years. Our youngest have grown this two years, and  some new values are pushing strong in the lower team. I do think we won't be relegated.

But thanks for the good will, much appreciated. :)
Last edited by Sabre on Wed May 24, 2006 4:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SOS member #1499

Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 73-1141222089 » Wed May 24, 2006 5:05 pm

Sorry Sabre but I don't think that we can afford the luxury of loaning out Agger..... we need him too much at the moment.... there simply not enough quality cover in central defence.....

Plus I don't think that he'll be spending much time on the bench come next season.... provided he's fit, I think that Rafa'll slowly bleed him into the squad..... he's a class player but he needs acclimatisation to the premiership and exposure to the playing styles of both Carra and Sami..... After all, though I think that Sami still has a couple of good years in him, we'll need to phase in Agger's patrnership with Jamie.....

Heres hoping that RS find a good CB......   :D
73-1141222089

Postby chris4069 » Thu May 25, 2006 7:38 pm

I like Agger and i not want that he leave Anfiel
chris4069

Next

Return to The Rumour Mill