Lucas to join liverpool - Not neill!

Liverpool Football Club - The Rumour Mill

Postby account deleted by request » Fri May 11, 2007 8:40 am

Liverpool have won the race for Brazilian midfielder Lucas, according to his club Gremio.

The 20-year-old has long been linked with a move for Europe, as his impressive displays as the holding midfielder for Gremio have caught the eye of watching scouts.

Gremio have claimed a host of teams came calling, but stated Liverpool acted quickly to wrap up the transfer.

"We did business very fast with Liverpool because there was a lot of interest," Gremio secretary Alfredo Oliveira told Radio Bandeirantes.

"Lucas travelled to England to present himself and although there are a few little details to be resolved, I can say that the transfer has been arranged and that Lucas will join his new team once Gremio's participation in the Copa Libertadores ends."

It is believed that Liverpool have paid in the region of £8million for the Brazil international.

Gremio are in the quarter-finals of the Copa Libertadores, but Lucas should link-up with The Reds for pre-season in order to put pressure on the likes of Mohamed Sissoko, Xabi Alonso and Javier Mascherano.
skysports

Never heard of him so cant really comment apart from to say, another midfielder .... why? Unless he was an attacking midfielder that is!

More ammunition for the Xabi is leaving rumours.
Last edited by account deleted by request on Fri May 11, 2007 9:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
account deleted by request

Postby bunglemark2 » Fri May 11, 2007 8:58 am

Sure it's not "Matt Lucas" ?
http://s2.tinypic.com/30ldif7_th.jpg
See yooo, Judas. Yoo're gettin' on mah titz !
bunglemark2

Postby account deleted by request » Fri May 11, 2007 9:12 am

Lucas é do Liverpool
Lucas trocou de cor. Vai usar vermelho. Calma. A mudança não é imediata, não é de hoje para amanhã. A partir de julho, no reinício da temporada na Europa, Lucas será jogador do Liverpool, um dos times mais populares da Inglaterra e o que tem a torcida mais fanática.

Lucas Leivas deve dividir o meio-campo com o craque britânica Gerrard, ser assistente do gigante Peter Crouch. O clube inglês contratou o jogador do Grêmio hoje, minutos atrás. Vai pagar 9 milhões de euros ao tricolor ou algo como R$ 24,73 milhões pela cotação do dia.

Lucas está na Inglaterra, onde fez exames físicos, e volta sábado ao Brasil. Perde três dias de treino, não enfrenta o Paraná, na abertura do Brasileirão, mas deve ser opção para o jogo com Defensor, quarta-feira da semana que vem, em Montevidéu.

A contratação de Lucas foi um pedido especial do técnico espanhol Rafa Benitez. Ele acompanha o jogador desde o Campeonato Nacional de 2006 e gostou da performance do jogador no torneio de seleções no Paraguai, no começo do ano.

O Liverpool decide a Liga dos Campeões com o Milan, dia 23, em Atenas. Ou seja, se o Liverpool vencer a decisão européia e o Grêmio garantir a Libertadores, Lucas pode enfrentar seu ex-time no Mundial Inter Clubes no Japão.

Lucas de vermelho contra o Grêmio? Parece ficção

Postby bunglemark2 » Fri May 11, 2007 9:35 am

Thanks S@int - that clarifies it lots....NOT !!!
Afraid the Portuguese is a tad rusty......What does it mean ?
http://s2.tinypic.com/30ldif7_th.jpg
See yooo, Judas. Yoo're gettin' on mah titz !
bunglemark2

Postby account deleted by request » Fri May 11, 2007 9:40 am

I think it says its a done deal and he will be joining us in July. Something about joining the brilliant Gerrard and the Giant :D Crouch. Price 9million euros about £6.5million?

Postby metalhead » Fri May 11, 2007 9:49 am

He is world class.. just ask stu  :D

Never heard of him, I hope he is a denilson(the arsenal player) type of player, s@int, I don't think he is an attacking midfielder, he is a holding midfielder, thats what the article said i guess  :Oo:
ImageImageImage
metalhead
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby dawson99 » Fri May 11, 2007 9:53 am

the whole alonso thing is getting more interesting now i think... unless we havent really brought JM yet!
0118 999 881 999 119 7253
dawson99
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby account deleted by request » Fri May 11, 2007 9:54 am

I have just read a few articles on him (when I say read I mean tried to read they were all in Portugese ) One said that he was a Gerrard type player, one said he was an attacking midfielder and this one said he was a holding player. As this one was in English I decided to post this one :D

Other article also said he was S.American player of the year.

Postby metalhead » Fri May 11, 2007 9:56 am

s@int wrote:I have just read a few articles on him (when I say read I mean tried to read they were all in Portugese ) One said that he was a Gerrard type player, one said he was an attacking midfielder and this one said he was a holding player. As this one was in English I decided to post this one :D

Other article also said he was S.American player of the year.

Good news for us then?  :D
ImageImageImage
metalhead
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby inglis5 » Fri May 11, 2007 10:00 am

Rafa has said before that he sees Alonso as an "attacking" central midfielder. The purchase of a new defensive CM would, in my opinion, put more pressure on Sissoko than Alonso.

The Alonso contract situation is worrying though. If he can indeed buy his own contract out at the end of the season then all these stories of swap deals involving Etoo would appear to be false.

I think Rafa wants Alonso to stay and Alonso wants to stay, this whole situation is just brinkmanship regarding the length and size of his new contract.

Personally a midfield made up of a combination of any of the four remaining players - Gerrard, Mascherano, Alonso or Lucas - would be capable of doing a job. Whereas if you replace Alonso with Sissoko it looks too negative...

This whole summer is going to be very strange as we won't know exactly Rafa has in store until the end of August. In Rafa we (must) trust :)
inglis5

Postby account deleted by request » Fri May 11, 2007 10:09 am

Video of Lucas in action

Scroll down watch 20 secs of Lucas talking( in portugese) then watch him play (looks good )

Postby account deleted by request » Fri May 11, 2007 12:14 pm

Signed?

Reds sign Brazilian star May 11 2007
by Chris Bascombe, Liverpool Echo

LIVERPOOL today made their first significant transfer move of the summer with a swoop for 20-year-old Brazilian Lucas Leiva.

The youngster, rated one of the most exciting emerging talents in South America, has signed from Brazilian club Gremio.

Leiva was recently called up to his national team, and Rafa Benitez believes the central midfielder will be challenging for a first team place at the beginning of next season.

Leiva will join the Reds in the summer after Benitez beat a host of top clubs to his signature.

The fee has remained undisclosed at this stage, but is believed to be around £5m.

“He’s a player with a lot of quality who we watched playing for the Brazil Under-20s,” Benitez said today.

“He will be ready to join the first team squad from the start of next season. He's a very good signing for us and likes to be an attacking midfielder, but he has many qualities.

“We've now reached an agreement for the player to join us.”

Leiva will be the second South American to join the Reds this summer, following Argentinian left winger Sebastian Leto.

Postby Ola Mr Benitez » Fri May 11, 2007 12:20 pm

Who is Sebastian Leto?
Our job is simple, to support the club, not just parts of the club that are easy to support, but every one who plays a part, that includes ALL players.  We are stronger when we are all walking in the same direction. Walk On
Ola Mr Benitez

Postby Bad Bob » Fri May 11, 2007 12:56 pm

s@int wrote:Signed?

Reds sign Brazilian star May 11 2007
by Chris Bascombe, Liverpool Echo

LIVERPOOL today made their first significant transfer move of the summer with a swoop for 20-year-old Brazilian Lucas Leiva.

The youngster, rated one of the most exciting emerging talents in South America, has signed from Brazilian club Gremio.

Leiva was recently called up to his national team, and Rafa Benitez believes the central midfielder will be challenging for a first team place at the beginning of next season.

Leiva will join the Reds in the summer after Benitez beat a host of top clubs to his signature.

The fee has remained undisclosed at this stage, but is believed to be around £5m.

“He’s a player with a lot of quality who we watched playing for the Brazil Under-20s,” Benitez said today.

“He will be ready to join the first team squad from the start of next season. He's a very good signing for us and likes to be an attacking midfielder, but he has many qualities.

“We've now reached an agreement for the player to join us.”

Leiva will be the second South American to join the Reds this summer, following Argentinian left winger Sebastian Leto.

Rafa's called him an attacking midfielder, if this quote is accurate.  An interesting option.  Surely Zenden is absolutely surplus to requirements now.  As for Alonso, I have faith that he'll be with us for many years to come.
Bad Bob
LFC Guru Member

Postby account deleted by request » Fri May 11, 2007 12:57 pm

Ola Mr Benitez wrote:Who is Sebastian Leto?

Seb.Leto

Next

Return to The Rumour Mill